Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Systemic racism

Comments

• WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793

Mass incarceration and disproportionately severe sentencing is a good example of systematic racism. The “criminal justice system,” as absolutely everyone refers to it by, is a prime example.

Blacks commit way over 40 perent of crime. I think it might be low 50s. I don't have time to look it up. I suppose it's somehow white people's fault though. Oppression and shit.
    later guys
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Mass incarceration and disproportionately severe sentencing is a good example of systematic racism. The “criminal justice system,” as absolutely everyone refers to it by, is a prime example.

Blacks commit way over 40 perent of crime. I think it might be low 50s. I don't have time to look it up. I suppose it's somehow white people's fault though. Oppression and shit.
    The argument is they get charged more severely for less serious crimes or charges when others would be not charged at all. Also harsher sentences for the same crimes. I think the harsher sentence part is true.

But what's also true is black men commit over 50% of all homicides. That stat can't be skewed by DA and judges.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,171 Standard Supporter

Usually runs around 53% of violent crime. Not sure on overall crime numbers.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,948
    Sledog said:

Usually runs around 53% of violent crime. Not sure on overall crime numbers.
    Take out the drug violations which you can argue are more stringently enforced on black people and focus only on homicide and other violent crimes with a clear victim and a clear perp. You have about 6% of the population committing nearly half of all the violent crimes.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,977
    edited June 2020

I believe Savy. But the same genetics that gave him Black skin and the problems he described also gave him rare size and athletic talent that combined with his hard work gives him unlimited opportunity going forward.

Would he trade with a 5 foot 10 130 high school senior who is white?

I agree we try too many one size fits all fixes. Zero tolerance is lazy and stupid. Make calls based on the individual.

America actually discusses race quite a bit. Since I was a youngin. Sometimes its honest sometimes it is not. It is still tough to be a young black male and its better than ever. Everyone is a victim of something or they choose to be a victor. That crosses all races.

I agree with this. I also believe the bolded part. I don't know why black men commit such a disproportionate share of violent crime, and I suspect nobody in this thread does either.

So we've eliminated the role of racism ... because we're in the Tug. Ok, stipulated (for you dullards, that means don't keep arguing the point; you won).

The question that remains is, why? Bob says too many illegitimate births and not enough Dads. Ok, let's stipulate that, too (because it's basically true). If that's a big cause (debatable but plausible), why? Why is the black experience so often that of a broken home and poverty, etc. etc.?

Yeah, Smalls has opportunity because he won the genetic lottery. But most people don't win lotteries ... of any kind. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a lottery.

Westlinn says he'll follow the black kid in the store because statistics. Ok, understood. Does that have an effect on that black kid? That collective experience? Seems like it plays out in contact with the police here and there.

I don't like the race game anymore than the next guy. What's the real driver? Maybe the biggest question: does the Tug think that the black community shouldn't be pissed off? Or, rather, should all of us be pissed off about police brutality? FWIW, the latter is where I lean. We need the cops. But we need them to do a better job sifting through their ranks to sort out the murder boners (props to whomever came up with that one).

I believe Savy. But the same genetics that gave him Black skin and the problems he described also gave him rare size and athletic talent that combined with his hard work gives him unlimited opportunity going forward.

I agree we try too many one size fits all fixes. Zero tolerance is lazy and stupid. Make calls based on the individual.

America actually discusses race quite a bit. Since I was a youngin. Sometimes its honest sometimes it is not. It is still tough to be a young black male and its better than ever. Everyone is a victim of something or they choose to be a victor. That crosses all races.

I agree with this. I also believe the bolded part. I don't know why black men commit such a disproportionate share of violent crime, and I suspect nobody in this thread does either.

So we've eliminated the role of racism ... because we're in the Tug. Ok, stipulated (for you dullards, that means don't keep arguing the point; you won).

The question that remains is, why? Bob says too many illegitimate births and not enough Dads. Ok, let's stipulate that, too (because it's basically true). If that's a big cause (debatable but plausible), why? Why is the black experience so often that of a broken home and poverty, etc. etc.?

Yeah, Smalls has opportunity because he won the genetic lottery. But most people don't win lotteries ... of any kind. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a lottery.

Westlinn says he'll follow the black kid in the store because statistics. Ok, understood. Does that have an effect on that black kid? That collective experience? Seems like it plays out in contact with the police here and there.

I don't like the race game anymore than the next guy. What's the real driver? Maybe the biggest question: does the Tug think that the black community shouldn't be pissed off? Or, rather, should all of us be pissed off about police brutality? FWIW, the latter is where I lean. We need the cops. But we need them to do a better job sifting through their ranks to sort out the murder boners (props to whomever came up with that one).
    America had a fairly large middle class black population years ago, I suggest you look at the cause of it's destruction. You'll find many of the answers.

I think the “why” is the disintegration of the family. This applies to all races. Blacks have a higher incidence of single parent or no parent households than whites and especially Asians (who seem to do very well despite being “people of color). I wonder what percentage people of all races who commit violent crimes come from a similar background. People also might blame poverty caused by racism. I would be more inclined to blame poverty based on the disintegration of the family and a failing education system. Those to things seem to lead to poverty regardless of race.

The “Great Society” policies of the late sixties was a real winner....
    Yep, I think the family issue is plausible. But why, then, did that hit the black community so much harder than the others? Why are more black children born out of wedlock or otherwise don't live in an intact family with two parents? What drives that?
    Sledog said:

America had a fairly large middle class black population years ago, I suggest you look at the cause of it's destruction. You'll find many of the answers.
    Or you can just spit it out. I'm lazy.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,044 Standard Supporter
    So, you riot in Chicago over a dead black guy in Minneapolis but you could give a sh*t about the dead black guys shot by black guys over the weekend in your own city? That's is the disconnect that is the problem. You can't deal with problems if you ignore the problem and blame non-problems on whitey. Floyd's killer will get the justice he deserves and that will resonate among other cops for good or bad. Lots of blacks are arguing that resisting arrests should not be met with force. This will lead to less aggressive policing in minority communities. Huge percentage of black gang shootings are not solved and sentences served. I don't get that if I were an an inner city parent that I would be more concerned about my unarmed kid being killed by a cop versus some gang banger in a drive by.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/06/what-the-riots-tell-us-about-policing-in-america.php

According to the Washington Post, 19 unarmed African-American males were killed by police in 2017, and 17 in 2016 — an average of 18 per year. It’s unlikely that all 18 were unjustified, but let’s assume they were.

That’s 18 too many. But measured against the number of police interactions during the year with the kind of people who are rioting, and recognizing that there will always be some bad cops and some inexperienced ones, it’s a small number.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

I think the “why” is the disintegration of the family. This applies to all races. Blacks have a higher incidence of single parent or no parent households than whites and especially Asians (who seem to do very well despite being “people of color). I wonder what percentage people of all races who commit violent crimes come from a similar background. People also might blame poverty caused by racism. I would be more inclined to blame poverty based on the disintegration of the family and a failing education system. Those to things seem to lead to poverty regardless of race.

The “Great Society” policies of the late sixties was a real winner....
    But the question still remains, why are black men disproportionately abandoning their families, even when economic status is held constant?

Is it something inherent in black culture? Is it some form of institutionalized oppression? Does the latter influence the former? And furthermore, regardless of what you see the cause being, how the fuck do we fix it?

So, you riot in Chicago over a dead black guy in Minneapolis but you could give a sh*t about the dead black guys shot by black guys over the weekend in your own city? That's is the disconnect that is the problem. You can't deal with problems if you ignore the problem and blame non-problems on whitey. Floyd's killer will get the justice he deserves and that will resonate among other cops for good or bad. Lots of blacks are arguing that resisting arrests should not be met with force. This will lead to less aggressive policing in minority communities. Huge percentage of black gang shootings are not solved and sentences served. I don't get that if I were an an inner city parent that I would be more concerned about my unarmed kid being killed by a cop versus some gang banger in a drive by.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/06/what-the-riots-tell-us-about-policing-in-america.php

According to the Washington Post, 19 unarmed African-American males were killed by police in 2017, and 17 in 2016 — an average of 18 per year. It’s unlikely that all 18 were unjustified, but let’s assume they were.

That’s 18 too many. But measured against the number of police interactions during the year with the kind of people who are rioting, and recognizing that there will always be some bad cops and some inexperienced ones, it’s a small number.

I don't disagree.
    It is easy to be a slacker if the elite are telling you that being a slacker is okay or even to be aspired to. The white elite crucified Daniel Moynihan for pointing out in 1965 the collapsing of the black family in the US. Shaming often fulfills a societal norm. When the elite are telling you that marriage and children out of wedlock are just fine and then pay for not working and for your kids then not surprising that you get a lot of it. In 1955 aspiring for an education and speaking proper English was not limited to the white middle class. Now, it will get the phu*ck beat out of you in many inner city school systems. When you have elites discussing that grammar is a white construct and that Ebonics should be taught in the black public school system, that hardly moves black society forward.

It is easy to be a slacker if the elite are telling you that being a slacker is okay or even to be aspired to. The white elite crucified Daniel Moynihan for pointing out in 1965 the collapsing of the black family in the US. Shaming often fulfills a societal norm. When the elite are telling you that marriage and children out of wedlock are just fine and then pay for not working and for your kids then not surprising that you get a lot of it. In 1955 aspiring for an education and speaking proper English was not limited to the white middle class. Now, it will get the phu*ck beat out of you in many inner city school systems. When you have elites discussing that grammar is a white construct and that Ebonics should be taught in the black public school system, that hardly moves black society forward.

I get all the PC shit and normalizing a bad situation. I also see the almost addiction to the drama of the inner city black experience as expressed through rap music and accompanying life style.

But I think those things are influential mostly at the margins. I think there's a bigger driver here. As Mike said, the Great Society. Well, that bag of goods was also sold to white America. Did it fuck them up as badly? Certainly, there are swaths of white misery ... travel around the rural southeastern US and you'll see it. Is that a result of Great Society culture? Maybe, but I don't think so.

Something, or a bunch of little somethings, drove a negative change in the African American community.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,853
    If you do good in school and dont be a gangster you get beat up and made fun of.

Good luck with that.
    Or, rather, should all of us be pissed off about police brutality? FWIW, the latter is where I lean. We need the cops. But we need them to do a better job sifting through their ranks to sort out the murder boners (props to whomever came up with that one).

This
    I agree. Terminate the union. If I shoot someone, me and anyone else I'm with gets interviewed immediately. Cops get a day delay. Historically, on occasion allows them all to get their story "straight". Also, make sure that they all have body cams. If not on, first time is a week suspension without pay. Second time a month. Third time within a two-year period is a firing offense. Going to be interesting what the union does with the "non-participating" cops who got fired.
    Sledog said:

45% of all black families were considered middle class as of 2015. I'm sure that number improved during the last 5 years until recently. By contrast 52% of all whites were considered to be middle class in 2015. Blacks were hit hard by the 2007-2008 recession losing more in home values than any other racial group. They also had a decline in middle class households from 2001 when it was 49%.

The biggest driver of poverty for all races in single parent households.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,415 Swaye's Wigwam
    I grew up being the go-to white guy to talk to the cops for all of my non-white friends.

I don't know how much more clearly I can demonstrate how there's a divergence in people's experience of the police based on their color.