Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Systemic racism

Comments

• WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,044 Standard Supporter

Okay, I'm going to try and offer my perspective on this in as nuanced a way as I can here. Hopefully this makes sense. Going to be a little wordy.

What a lot of people get confused when they hear about systemic racism is this idea that being white AUTOMATICALLY means everything is easier because of it. That isn't how it works.

Just because you are white doesn't mean that everything is automatically easy and just because you are black doesn't mean everything is automatically hard. A lot of people have that misconception and it isn't true.

I don't want to offer my experience as the be all and end all, because I'm a privileged little fuck, but I will relate what I hear from peers and friends as I try to get a better understanding of what it is they go through.

There are really 2 types of racism - there's the conscious/unconscious bias and intentionally/unintentionally offensive things people say and do, which I call confrontational racism, and then there is the systemic portion. Confrontational racism plays into systemic racism, but they are separate things.

A lot of people hear "systemic racism" and immediately get defensive because it sounds like they are being accused of personal racism. That's not at all what it is.

Systemic racism is hard to define, but in essence it's the idea that through no fault of their own the system works worse for some people.

Factors in this:

1. Education. This is a main one, really. Schools in poor areas that have predominantly kids of color get about $1600 less per student than the national mean, whereas schools in poor areas that have predominantly white kids get about $130 less.

Does that "prove" anything? Of course not, but just a factor. Worse educational systems means lesser education means lowered college chances means less income and it becomes a vicious cycle as no one channels funds to the locations in need. A lot of it is due to lower taxes meaning they can't get paid for.

2. Ripple effect from slavery/segregation.

A lot of people think that because these things are over there's no longer an issue. After slavery was ended, uneducated former slaves were sent out into the world with no way to try and adapt and become literate and get jobs and try and "bridge the gap" between themselves and the ruling white upper class. Even though slavery was over, segregation and racism still remained. Jim Crow laws. The inability to vote. Hell, all forms of segregation weren't outlawed until 1968. And with all of these things, it takes time for the impacts to dissolve and the gap to close. For example:

-The net worth of a typical white family is $171,000, and for a black family it's $17,150.

For what it's worth, it's better to use median than average wealth because average wealth is skewed by the zillionaires.

-The average (not median) white family has $929,000, whereas the average black family has $138,000. This is skewed by the Bezos and Gates types.

A lot of this disparity is in home ownership, which for minorities dropped a shit ton after the Great Recession (because those same minorities were more likely to be given subprime loans. I'm just pointing out numbers here, not telling you what they mean in context.

3. Confrontational racism/implicit bias in hiring.

Blacks with college degrees are twice as likely to be unemployed than other graduates. A study found that, with identical resumes, white-sounding names are 50% (aka 1.5 times) more likely to be called back for a job opening than black-sounding names. So it can be harder to find jobs to cut into that gap noted above.

4. Mass incarceration (mostly from war on drugs). To me this is a huge one and it plays directly into police issues.

You can cite crime rates/violent crime rates etc but the fact I'm citing is that black Americans make up 40% of the prison population despite being 13% of the overall population. They typically face longer sentences for the same crimes and a higher chance of being arrested for the same crimes. So it's more likely that black children grow up without guiding influence, often unfairly, which in turn reinforces the very things that lead to mass incarceration and lowered wealth.

This is a vicious cycle. Black people are more likely to be incarcerated which means less guidance for their kids which means those kids without guidance are going to be more likely to engage in those same behaviors which means they will be incarcerated even more, and nothing is really done to try and prevent this. Instead we just point fingers.

These are just some factors that add up into a system that seems rigged.

The biggest misconception is that these factors mean it automatically everything is worse for all black people than it is for all white people. It isn't! It's just an extra element to deal with. There are all other kinds of elements that play into what it means to have privilege.

It is completely possible that, as a white person, you face more difficulties than a black person. The idea of systemic racism is just that it's more likely for minorities to face difficulties. That's literally all it is.

And again, this isn't blaming anybody on this board for this. It's a combination of factors that add up.

Does this make sense? I'm probably not the best person to explain it.

What this post DOES NOT mean:
    -All white people are privileged. Obviously not true.
    -All black people are underprivileged. Also obviously not true.
    -It's always harder for black people than white people. Not true. It can be harder for white people too.

This post is just about a factor in the overall idea that is privilege.

Great post. I especially find interesting the subtle stuff. Similar things can be applied to other groups. There was some study or book out a few years ago that went over all the subtle factors that could affect kids' lives. One area was names, whether applied to white, brown or black kids.

The gist of it was, if you don't care one way or the other, give your kid a traditional English/Protestant/Catholic/Western Euro name and avoid, at all costs, ethnic, "foreign-sounding" or "exotic" names. So, you know, avoid Cedric, Juan Pablo, Maria, Rosa, Kiara, Jada, etc. Avoid stripper names, Ariana, Desiree, Misty, Skyla, Jasmine, etc. As well avoid like the plague the myriad made-up names or the made-up spelling of names. So if you want to name your daughter "Jordan", avoid "Jordyn" and similar derivatives. Avoid, also the completely random "WTF?" names, like "Golden". The point? People, consciously or otherwise, take you less seriously if you have one of those names.

When my Dad graduated from his MBA program in Evanston, Illinois, he had a thought about staying in Chicago. At that time, even with a Northwestern MBA in his hands, a lot of doors were not open for him in Chi Town. His name, incidentally, is quintessentially Hispanic. So, absolute fluency in two languages, former Divsion 1 athlete, tippy top MBA and he found his opportunities were more abundant the closer he got to real Hispanic population centers. It's just the way it was. Don't kid yourself. Most of the white shoe Wall Street lawfirms have a history that relates to the religion you had to be to get in. Skadden Arps was founded by Jewish lawyers who focused on bankruptcy, because that was the "low brow" work Jew laywers could get, and the old money law firms didn't hire Jews. Ask anybody there; it's no secret. So nobody was openly hostile to the old man - not to his face at least. Everybody was polite and nice. But getting those tippy top analyst positions with the big names wasn't going to happen for him there. New York was better, so that's where he went, though in the early 70s that was a lot of work too.

The point of my piling on to this is that there is, and probably always will be, below-the-surface dynamics at play when people interact. Some of it's logical; a lot of it isn't.

One of my problems with this is Skadden Arps was founded in 1948. It isn't 1948 anymore. Same with your dad, it isn't decades ago. If you can't see the massive amount of progress this country has made in racial equality since pick one - Jim Crow, 1948 or when your dad graduated then you are having to use a backwards focus to make racial points about where we are at today. That doesn't mean anything is perfect, but it was getting better.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    MelloDawg said:

MelloDawg said:

MelloDawg said:

Systemic racism is being hand cuffed, tried, and executed on the side walk. There are some people that did a crime that absolutely should be arresting, they are not asking to not being arrested but they are asking no to be tried and convicted on the sidewalk. George Floyd was using "alleged" bad checks it wasn't even confirmed and he was treated that way and murdered. While you take Gabe Mcdonalds who shot 8 people in a church and they take him out to get something to eat. They want what we want, they want to grow old and live, a chance at opportunities, better learning, fair lending practices for businesses. You can sit perfectly still and still get shot, they don't know what to tell their kids about police. Privilege is not that you didn't grow up poor or worked hard no one takes that from you. Privilege is you don't have to go through life fearful of losing you're life innocently on the sidewalk. Privilege is being able to ignore what is going on because it doesn't affect you. If you can sit there and be ok if someone were to ask you "Would you like to be treated as Black people?" and you have to think about it or stay silent or just no. Then you know deep down something is off and something isn't equal. Systemic racism is like the women in central park who chokes her dog and calls the police lying to them about being threatened by a black man. Those phone calls lead to cases like Floyd... No one is taking your privilege away or saying its bad but one life matters more than the other right now. Anyone with a brain knows "All lives matter" but until All lives matter equally we need to run to this portion in our community and aid them until All lived really do matter equally.. It good to have these conversations

Well...this white guy didn’t fair so well yesterday. And 500+ a year like him.

https://katu.com/news/local/gresham-officer-shoots-kills-man-in-southeast-portland

http://www.portlandcopwatch.org/listofshootings.html
    But white people....
    Not surprised you missed the point and context.
    I didn’t, but we’re still cool, broski.
    Disagree. It was in response to some cherry picking. Surprised you didn’t notice.

But still love you!

How are you holding up without MLS so far?
    So far, so good. The Sounders app has some great content from the historical MLS Cup runs, updates on training. They’ve been great!
    Do you get on Zoom with the Sound Wave and play while watching on the app?
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,948

Okay, I'm going to try and offer my perspective on this in as nuanced a way as I can here. Hopefully this makes sense. Going to be a little wordy.

What a lot of people get confused when they hear about systemic racism is this idea that being white AUTOMATICALLY means everything is easier because of it. That isn't how it works.

Just because you are white doesn't mean that everything is automatically easy and just because you are black doesn't mean everything is automatically hard. A lot of people have that misconception and it isn't true.

I don't want to offer my experience as the be all and end all, because I'm a privileged little fuck, but I will relate what I hear from peers and friends as I try to get a better understanding of what it is they go through.

There are really 2 types of racism - there's the conscious/unconscious bias and intentionally/unintentionally offensive things people say and do, which I call confrontational racism, and then there is the systemic portion. Confrontational racism plays into systemic racism, but they are separate things.

A lot of people hear "systemic racism" and immediately get defensive because it sounds like they are being accused of personal racism. That's not at all what it is.

Systemic racism is hard to define, but in essence it's the idea that through no fault of their own the system works worse for some people.

Factors in this:

1. Education. This is a main one, really. Schools in poor areas that have predominantly kids of color get about $1600 less per student than the national mean, whereas schools in poor areas that have predominantly white kids get about $130 less.

Does that "prove" anything? Of course not, but just a factor. Worse educational systems means lesser education means lowered college chances means less income and it becomes a vicious cycle as no one channels funds to the locations in need. A lot of it is due to lower taxes meaning they can't get paid for.

A lot of people think that because these things are over there's no longer an issue. After slavery was ended, uneducated former slaves were sent out into the world with no way to try and adapt and become literate and get jobs and try and "bridge the gap" between themselves and the ruling white upper class. Even though slavery was over, segregation and racism still remained. Jim Crow laws. The inability to vote. Hell, all forms of segregation weren't outlawed until 1968. And with all of these things, it takes time for the impacts to dissolve and the gap to close. For example:

-The net worth of a typical white family is $171,000, and for a black family it's $17,150.

For what it's worth, it's better to use median than average wealth because average wealth is skewed by the zillionaires.

-The average (not median) white family has $929,000, whereas the average black family has $138,000. This is skewed by the Bezos and Gates types.

A lot of this disparity is in home ownership, which for minorities dropped a shit ton after the Great Recession (because those same minorities were more likely to be given subprime loans. I'm just pointing out numbers here, not telling you what they mean in context.

Blacks with college degrees are twice as likely to be unemployed than other graduates. A study found that, with identical resumes, white-sounding names are 50% (aka 1.5 times) more likely to be called back for a job opening than black-sounding names. So it can be harder to find jobs to cut into that gap noted above.

4. Mass incarceration (mostly from war on drugs). To me this is a huge one and it plays directly into police issues.

You can cite crime rates/violent crime rates etc but the fact I'm citing is that black Americans make up 40% of the prison population despite being 13% of the overall population. They typically face longer sentences for the same crimes and a higher chance of being arrested for the same crimes. So it's more likely that black children grow up without guiding influence, often unfairly, which in turn reinforces the very things that lead to mass incarceration and lowered wealth.

This is a vicious cycle. Black people are more likely to be incarcerated which means less guidance for their kids which means those kids without guidance are going to be more likely to engage in those same behaviors which means they will be incarcerated even more, and nothing is really done to try and prevent this. Instead we just point fingers.

The biggest misconception is that these factors mean it automatically everything is worse for all black people than it is for all white people. It isn't! It's just an extra element to deal with. There are all other kinds of elements that play into what it means to have privilege.

It is completely possible that, as a white person, you face more difficulties than a black person. The idea of systemic racism is just that it's more likely for minorities to face difficulties. That's literally all it is.

And again, this isn't blaming anybody on this board for this. It's a combination of factors that add up.

-It's always harder for black people than white people. Not true. It can be harder for white people too.

Great post. I especially find interesting the subtle stuff. Similar things can be applied to other groups. There was some study or book out a few years ago that went over all the subtle factors that could affect kids' lives. One area was names, whether applied to white, brown or black kids.

The gist of it was, if you don't care one way or the other, give your kid a traditional English/Protestant/Catholic/Western Euro name and avoid, at all costs, ethnic, "foreign-sounding" or "exotic" names. So, you know, avoid Cedric, Juan Pablo, Maria, Rosa, Kiara, Jada, etc. Avoid stripper names, Ariana, Desiree, Misty, Skyla, Jasmine, etc. As well avoid like the plague the myriad made-up names or the made-up spelling of names. So if you want to name your daughter "Jordan", avoid "Jordyn" and similar derivatives. Avoid, also the completely random "WTF?" names, like "Golden". The point? People, consciously or otherwise, take you less seriously if you have one of those names.

When my Dad graduated from his MBA program in Evanston, Illinois, he had a thought about staying in Chicago. At that time, even with a Northwestern MBA in his hands, a lot of doors were not open for him in Chi Town. His name, incidentally, is quintessentially Hispanic. So, absolute fluency in two languages, former Divsion 1 athlete, tippy top MBA and he found his opportunities were more abundant the closer he got to real Hispanic population centers. It's just the way it was. Don't kid yourself. Most of the white shoe Wall Street lawfirms have a history that relates to the religion you had to be to get in. Skadden Arps was founded by Jewish lawyers who focused on bankruptcy, because that was the "low brow" work Jew laywers could get, and the old money law firms didn't hire Jews. Ask anybody there; it's no secret. So nobody was openly hostile to the old man - not to his face at least. Everybody was polite and nice. But getting those tippy top analyst positions with the big names wasn't going to happen for him there. New York was better, so that's where he went, though in the early 70s that was a lot of work too.

The point of my piling on to this is that there is, and probably always will be, below-the-surface dynamics at play when people interact. Some of it's logical; a lot of it isn't.

One of my problems with this is Skadden Arps was founded in 1948. It isn't 1948 anymore. Same with your dad, it isn't decades ago. If you can't see the massive amount of progress this country has made in racial equality since pick one - Jim Crow, 1948 or when your dad graduated then you are having to use a backwards focus to make racial points about where we are at today. That doesn't mean anything is perfect, but it was getting better.
    In America today your dad would have every single top law firm in the country fighting over him trying to give him a job.
  • DodgyBlokeDodgyBloke Member Posts: 957

Systemic racism is being hand cuffed, tried, and executed on the side walk. There are some people that did a crime that absolutely should be arresting, they are not asking to not being arrested but they are asking no to be tried and convicted on the sidewalk. George Floyd was using "alleged" bad checks it wasn't even confirmed and he was treated that way and murdered. While you take Gabe Mcdonalds who shot 8 people in a church and they take him out to get something to eat. They want what we want, they want to grow old and live, a chance at opportunities, better learning, fair lending practices for businesses. You can sit perfectly still and still get shot, they don't know what to tell their kids about police. Privilege is not that you didn't grow up poor or worked hard no one takes that from you. Privilege is you don't have to go through life fearful of losing you're life innocently on the sidewalk. Privilege is being able to ignore what is going on because it doesn't affect you. If you can sit there and be ok if someone were to ask you "Would you like to be treated as Black people?" and you have to think about it or stay silent or just no. Then you know deep down something is off and something isn't equal. Systemic racism is like the women in central park who chokes her dog and calls the police lying to them about being threatened by a black man. Those phone calls lead to cases like Floyd... No one is taking your privilege away or saying its bad but one life matters more than the other right now. Anyone with a brain knows "All lives matter" but until All lives matter equally we need to run to this portion in our community and aid them until All lived really do matter equally.. It good to have these conversations

Nodding along until there. I don't know what that means.
    All I meant there was in terms of the difference between say "All lives matter" and "Black lives matter" we say they matter equally but one doesn't with systemic racism and that is why we are seeing what we are seeing.
    Privilege is learning about racism rather than growing up experiencing it

Between 2012 and 2015, blacks committed 85.5 percent of all black-white interracial violent victimizations (excluding interracial homicide, which is also disproportionately black-on-white). That works out to 540,360 felonious assaults on whites. Whites committed 14.4 percent of all interracial violent victimization, or 91,470 felonious assaults on blacks. Blacks are less than 13 percent of the national population.

Any of these victims experiencing racism?
    SFGbob said:

Factors in this:

In America today your dad would have every single top law firm in the country fighting over him trying to give him a job.
    As most big schools and government agencies Now have huge Diversity Departments with massive budgets and with mmanh big companies are adding them, it’s a great time to be a minority with some skills. Given the choice between an equally qualified white male vs a minority, the edge is differently to then minority in 2020.

That said, we now have a Diveristy Industrial Complex. There is no way things will get “better”. Oh, things will improve as they have improved dramatically for many years, but the goal posts will be moved and every grievance that isn’t even on the radar today will become a massive problem to be tackled in the future. It won’t stop.

Same with homelessness. What are the odds homelessness will ever be improved in Portland now that they are collecting their 4th and largest tax to deal with it. $250m a year. That won’t just be stopped one day because it was successful in reducing homelessness. In fact, in time it will be deemed woefully inadequate.
    SFGbob said:

So is this white privilege?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investigations/2019/07/31/you-re-gonna-kill-me-dallas-police-body-cam-footage-reveals-the-final-minutes-of-tony-timpa-s-life/
    Ive seen the footage and it saddens me. Beating anyone like that they should be tried fairly. Anyone would be a hypocrite to call justice for floyd but turn around and make excuses for that group getting off the hook. Also this video has nothing to do with the comment being made about privilege you're clearly posting something that has an agenda to it. Would you like me to post the George Floyd video? Or the women in central park? Or maybe the names and cases of countless white teens who shoot up a school and get off with "mental illness", while people of color can have a check bounced and be suffocated to death on the side-walk or maybe these are the videos you meant to post. Anyone who can take another life no matter the race should be prosecuted that's not what this discussion is about. The discussion is privilege and systemic racism.

SFGbob said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investigations/2019/07/31/you-re-gonna-kill-me-dallas-police-body-cam-footage-reveals-the-final-minutes-of-tony-timpa-s-life/
    Ive seen the footage and it saddens me. Beating anyone like that they should be tried fairly. Anyone would be a hypocrite to call justice for floyd but turn around and make excuses for that group getting off the hook. Also this video has nothing to do with the comment being made about privilege you're clearly posting something that has an agenda to it. Would you like me to post the George Floyd video? Or the women in central park? Or maybe the names and cases of countless white teens who shoot up a school and get off with "mental illness", while people of color can have a check bounced and be suffocated to death on the side-walk or maybe these are the videos you meant to post. Anyone who can take another life no matter the race should be prosecuted that's not what this discussion is about. The discussion is privilege and systemic racism.
    What white teens have shot up a school and gotten off with mental illness, that weren't really mentally ill? My only "agenda" is that one story nobody ever heard of and the other is now causing national protests.

Plenty of white folks are killed by the police in very similar circumstances to the Floyd murder and yet this white "privilege" that we hear about conveniently never applies to them.

SFGbob said:

There are countless cases of white teens shooting up schools and getting released because of mental illness?

SFGbob said:

There are countless cases of white teens shooting up schools and getting released because of mental illness?
    I can see the future, want to see? That line of bullshit will never be supported.

Look up any mass shooting from 2000-2019 white male gets tried and charged but labeled as having a mental illness and will receive treatment instead of Jail for life or the death penalty. That is what I am saying its the court trials and outcomes. If you replace those white teens who did mass shootings and make them african american do you think they will be labeled off with Mental Illness and be given treatment for it?
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,891 Standard Supporter
    @MelloDawg wrote: But white people....

Not only is that old, tired, trite and lame, you should know that you're on the short list of candidates to replace Hondo, by quickly gaining on @HHusky.

Up your game, dude. This isn't High School. Stop being such a twit.
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I know Trayvon's case didn't end well, but I felt the country learned a lot about the danger and unfairness of racial profiling, and that George Zimmerman was a wannabe loser who stalked a kid for no good reason and got away with homicide because of technicalities.

But for the fact the case had nothing to do with racial profiling, and by "technicalities" you mean every piece of psysical evidence presented in the case, including the eyewitness testimony, then yeah "technicalities."

And the fact that you or I would've probably acted the same way if some fucking loon was stalking one of us and refused to break off, as told by the cops. The case was over-charged by a simpleton prosecutor who mistook the media attention for momentum and evidence. That's the technicality. And the lesser important fact that dead victims can't testify.

You're entitled to your own opinion you're not entitled to your own facts.

What part is not factual, Bob?

What white teens have shot up a school and gotten off with mental illness, that weren't really mentally ill? My only "agenda" is that one story nobody ever heard of and the other is now causing national protests.

Plenty of white folks are killed by the police in very similar circumstances to the Floyd murder and yet this white "privilege" that we hear about conveniently never applies to them.

Its also a Police Brutality protest that's why they are being filmed so much, all eyes are on them. Not all are bad but the bad ones need to go.
    edited June 2020

Trayvon wasn't killed because of white privilege or stalking. He died because he was a POS using extreme force on what he thought was a helpless victim. Zimmerman was free to follow whomever he wanted in his neighborhood. Trayvon was made to feel special and hadn't had to face the consequences of prior crimes. Trademark came back after making it home to look for Zimmerman.

Extreme force = Hands.

Helpless Victim = Armed with a Gun.

Jesus Christ. I've seen it all.
    edited June 2020

Look up any mass shooting from 2000-2019 white male gets tried and charged but labeled as having a mental illness and will receive treatment instead of Jail for life or the death penalty. That is what I am saying its the court trials and outcomes. If you replace those white teens who did mass shootings and make them african american do you think they will be labeled off with Mental Illness and be given treatment for it?

First of all the overwhelming majority of all school shooters are either killed during the shooting or commit suicide. The Florida school shooter is still awaiting trial in prison not a mental hospital.

Kip Kinkel is in prison for the rest of his life, not a mental institution. You're full of shit.

I know of one case of the all the incidents. Can you help? Should be easy to find if there are countless cases.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

Between 2012 and 2015, blacks committed 85.5 percent of all black-white interracial violent victimizations (excluding interracial homicide, which is also disproportionately black-on-white). That works out to 540,360 felonious assaults on whites. Whites committed 14.4 percent of all interracial violent victimization, or 91,470 felonious assaults on blacks. Blacks are less than 13 percent of the national population.

Any of these victims experiencing racism?
    What 6 page thread would be complete with out a 'quit palgarism my shit, fucko' ?

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/72572/ny-post-article-on-black-on-black-crime#latest

Disagree. Quick Question: Do you believe blacks CAN'T be racist because they lack power?