Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Systemic racism

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,977
    edited June 2020

End the ass-backwards war on drugs. That alone would cover a huge percentage of our fucked up incarceration numbers.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(and, yes, I had to edit that)
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,948

End the ass-backwards war on drugs. That alone would cover a huge percentage of our fucked up incarceration numbers.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(and, yes, I had to edit that)
    Would also cut down on a lot of the black on black homicides.
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,891 Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

I grew up being the go-to white guy to talk to the cops for all of my non-white friends.

I don't know how much more clearly I can demonstrate how there's a divergence in people's experience of the police based on their color.

And the cops, because they encounter so many more black kids engaging in criminal behavior treat blacks differently.
    Unfair, of course, but very true. The "rub-off" affect is real.

Not that "rub-off" effect, degenerates.

Mass incarceration and disproportionately severe sentencing is a good example of systematic racism. The “criminal justice system,” as absolutely everyone refers to it by, is a prime example.

Blacks commit way over 40 perent of crime. I think it might be low 50s. I don't have time to look it up. I suppose it's somehow white people's fault though. Oppression and shit.
    The argument is they get charged more severely for less serious crimes or charges when others would be not charged at all. Also harsher sentences for the same crimes. I think the harsher sentence part is true.

But what's also true is black men commit over 50% of all homicides. That stat can't be skewed by DA and judges.
    "Offender Scores" are earned under standardized sentencing laws. Judges barely have any discretion in the matters since the 1980s and 1990s sentencing reforms. More criminal history means longer sentences for the supposedly "same" crimes. This is a stupid argument made by stupid people.
    at least your handle is on point from shitting all over this thread
    Talk is cheap. How about some proof? Or are you gonna be like @GDS?

Mass incarceration and disproportionately severe sentencing is a good example of systematic racism. The “criminal justice system,” as absolutely everyone refers to it by, is a prime example.

Blacks commit way over 40 perent of crime. I think it might be low 50s. I don't have time to look it up. I suppose it's somehow white people's fault though. Oppression and shit.
    The argument is they get charged more severely for less serious crimes or charges when others would be not charged at all. Also harsher sentences for the same crimes. I think the harsher sentence part is true.

But what's also true is black men commit over 50% of all homicides. That stat can't be skewed by DA and judges.
    "Offender Scores" are earned under standardized sentencing laws. Judges barely have any discretion in the matters since the 1980s and 1990s sentencing reforms. More criminal history means longer sentences for the supposedly "same" crimes. This is a stupid argument made by stupid people.
    lol
    SFGbob said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

I believe Savy. But the same genetics that gave him Black skin and the problems he described also gave him rare size and athletic talent that combined with his hard work gives him unlimited opportunity going forward.

Would he trade with a 5 foot 10 130 high school senior who is white?

I agree we try too many one size fits all fixes. Zero tolerance is lazy and stupid. Make calls based on the individual.

America actually discusses race quite a bit. Since I was a youngin. Sometimes its honest sometimes it is not. It is still tough to be a young black male and its better than ever. Everyone is a victim of something or they choose to be a victor. That crosses all races.

I agree with this. I also believe the bolded part. I don't know why black men commit such a disproportionate share of violent crime, and I suspect nobody in this thread does either.

So we've eliminated the role of racism ... because we're in the Tug. Ok, stipulated (for you dullards, that means don't keep arguing the point; you won).

The question that remains is, why? Bob says too many illegitimate births and not enough Dads. Ok, let's stipulate that, too (because it's basically true). If that's a big cause (debatable but plausible), why? Why is the black experience so often that of a broken home and poverty, etc. etc.?

Yeah, Smalls has opportunity because he won the genetic lottery. But most people don't win lotteries ... of any kind. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a lottery.

Westlinn says he'll follow the black kid in the store because statistics. Ok, understood. Does that have an effect on that black kid? That collective experience? Seems like it plays out in contact with the police here and there.

I don't like the race game anymore than the next guy. What's the real driver? Maybe the biggest question: does the Tug think that the black community shouldn't be pissed off? Or, rather, should all of us be pissed off about police brutality? FWIW, the latter is where I lean. We need the cops. But we need them to do a better job sifting through their ranks to sort out the murder boners (props to whomever came up with that one).
    America had a fairly large middle class black population years ago, I suggest you look at the cause of it's destruction. You'll find many of the answers.
    Or you can just spit it out. I'm lazy.
    Destruction of the black family, replacement of the father via welfare, government benefits paying more for unmarried women and more for more children. Planned. Paid for with our tax dollars. This stuff is planned dependency for a voting block.
    The crack epidemic hit african-american neighborhoods with about 100X more intensity than the suburbs. Knew quite a few guys who got sucked into that black (no pun intended) hole.

Yep, it was every bit as bad as the opiate crisis is now and it involved a lot more violence among the people selling it on the streets.
    SFGBob is crushing this thread today, with something Wilbur can't produce: Facts.

It wasn't the drugs that produced the crime bill. It was drive by gangsters lighting up bus stops with fucking Uzis, shooting 8 to 10 innocent people at a time while trying to rub out an opposing gang member.

As McNulty said on the Wire: "We're the Murder Police. It's about the Bodies, Yo."
    edited June 2020

lol
    Fuck Off, Pipsqueak.

LOL.

lol
    Fuck Off, Pipsqueak.

LOL.
    I’m a 6’5 250 former army ranger

lol
    Fuck Off, Pipsqueak.

LOL.
    Stop before I hurt your feelings.
    This isn't meant to be an oppression Olympics post... but complaining because someone followed you in a store or a girl turned away from you is some intern level racism experienced shit. To then blame an entire group of people, or even an entire county, that overwhelmingly disagrees with those interactions occurring is fucking stupid.

Love this.
    edited June 2020
    Houhusky said:

No doubt racism occurs but its really on you if you use individual interactions to make broad sweeping generalizations on other parties not involved to justify your shitty behavior or mentality.

Im a large white guy (bigger than Smalls) Ive had my fair share of women shy away from me while I was running to rowboat practice on the Burke Gilman before sunrise. Ive had the cops called on me because I was running through a neighborhood at night. It happens when you are a big scary dude in the top 1-2% height percentile and look like you could crush someones skull because you are working out in college. People were constantly surprised I was taking aerospace engineering classes at UW because I was supposed to be just a big dumbfuck jock like Lockner... Those interactions had nothing to do with race, just dumb people making dumb assumptions.

As far as actual explicitly racist interactions...

I was once kicked out of the UW EOP because "you dont look like you need to be here" and "your people have your own space"

I lived in China for a few months, I was denied service at multiple restaurants explicitly because I was white and even spit on for being a sneaky white devil when I went with some chinese national on a date.

I've traveled a lot in central and south America, despite speaking pretty fluent Spanish, I still get scammed and pay the gringo prices in most markets.

I traveled with my non white wife husband through rural southern Africa, we were held up by a corrupt cop who then accused me of trafficking her and then proceeded to demand an reparation fee at gunpoint from me because I was a white man with a non white.

This isn't meant to be an oppression Olympics post... but complaining because someone followed you in a store or a girl turned away from you is some intern level racism experienced shit. To then blame an entire group of people, or even an entire county, that overwhelmingly disagrees with those interactions occurring is fucking stupid.

TLDR: In the end, If you treat every shitty interaction from someone who looks different from you as a product of your own race you are naturally going to start thinking everyone who looks different than you is racist. What do you think it does person a person to constantly be told, "(this group) is hunting you"? It creates prejudiced "victims" trapped in their own mental prison. There are shitty people everywhere, some are racist, some are just shitty... The US has far fewer percentage of both than other countries. Smalls is right about one thing, you will never reach the bar set by shitty people and racists, but part of being an adult is being comfortable with the bar you set for yourself, living your life, and letting others go fuck themselves.

yeah yeah... you cant hear me over my two loving parents and white privilege.

Strong POTD Nominee.
    One of the things that bothered me about Obama was he and his wife's citation of incidents like these in order to say that even they had been victims of racism in America.

SFGbob said:

One of the things that bothered me about Obama was he and his wife's citation of incidents like these in order to say that even they had been victims of racism in America.

In fairness to Obama, anytime he said anything about race, he was either gonna catch arrows in the chest or arrows in the back.

And if he said nothing, probably both.

lol
    Fuck Off, Pipsqueak.

LOL.
    Stop before I hurt your feelings.
    the cocaine already did
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    I’d had that conversion before as well. What’s described as a racist encounter is really just a person being an asshole. I think that’s white privileged. When a white person is treated poorly by a rude asshole it’s because we think the person is an asshole. When a black person is treated poorly, it’s racism..

Case in point https://www.insider.com/georgia-lawmaker-publix-fight-go-back-where-you-came-from-2019-7
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,977

That's true.