Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Systemic racism

WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,044 Standard Supporter
edited June 2020 in Tug Tavern
One of the constant refrains repeated ad nauseam is the comment from blacks and just about any reporter or commentator is the lament about the systemic racism that faces black Americans. Not being black, I don't have any first hand info. So, what is that systemic racism? Your born in a modern US hospital, not in hut in Africa. You are provided with shelter and food if your parents or parent can't provide them. You get free schooling in schools run by democrats and blacks. You can get a job. If fact prior to the chicom crud shutdown, blacks had record low unemployment. You are free to travel the entire country. I'm not free to wonder around Compton. So, I'm accused of having white privilege and being a systemic racist. But what are the real facts about that conclusion?

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    It’s systemic and institutionalized. So it’s a societal problem that no individual could possibly overcome.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,948
    You're not as rich and successful as Bill Gates, therefore racism. If you are on the bad end of any statistical category, be it household income, or net worth it has to be on account of white racism. Never mind that Asians on average have higher incomes and net worth than whites.

Blacks have higher incarceration rates than whites. It can't be on account of the fact that blacks commit more crime, it has to be racism.

It’s systemic and institutionalized. So it’s a societal problem that no individual could possibly overcome.

Meanwhile, the only government backed discrimination based upon skin color that I know of discriminates against whites and Asians and benefits blacks and Hispanics.

Could it be that the very same behavioral issues that would prompt you to engage in looting and robbery, greater rates of out of wedlock births, higher high school drop out rates, and greater representation in nearly every other social ill you can think of might also be responsible for lower household income and net worth?

Could there possibly be a connection or is white racism the unifying theory for all of this?
    Could it be that the crime rate and affirmative action have anything to do with any of those feelings?

• GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    SFGbob said:

Could it be that the crime rate and affirmative action have anything to do with any of those feelings?

That, and a laundry list of other factors. Anyone telling you it's one thing and not the other is either uninformed or dishonest. If it could fit on a Herman Cain pizza box it'd be fixed by now.

At the end of the day, these are unique problems that a large number of black teenagers (and adults) have to deal with, through no fault of their own. And that's tragic.

Mass incarceration and disproportionately severe sentencing is a good example of systematic racism. The “criminal justice system,” as absolutely everyone refers to it by, is a prime example.

Do mean the severe sentencing for crack that the Black Congressional Caucus called for back in the 80s?

I recall black democrats calling Reagan a racist because he didn't do enough to fight the crack epidemic.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,044 Standard Supporter
    So, if your store was having a shoplifting problem that was caused by young black men, is your following a young black man systemic racism? You know who plays the knockout game? I'd be watchful around young black men on a public street. A young black recruit at a Pac 12 school has a lot going for him. Tough to see how systemic racism has hurt him.

SFGbob said:

That, and a laundry list of other factors. Anyone telling you it's one thing and not the other is either uninformed or dishonest. If it could fit on a Herman Cain pizza box it'd be fixed by now.

At the end of the day, these are unique problems that a large number of black teenagers (and adults) have to deal with, through no fault of their own. And that's tragic.
    I have a 19 year old black son that is about 6'2'' and 215 pounds. I've seen the reaction he gets from some people when we're out in public. He has actually told me about how his presence can intimidate some white people.

But I've also dealt with white teachers who have held him to lower academic and behavioral standards also because of his black skin.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,044 Standard Supporter
    Here is some more systemic racism. I blame white republicans. This is where I have trouble with the people who tell me Black Lives Matter. They are pretty damn selective about which black lives matter. Great last weekend in Chicago.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/6/1/21275944/chicago-weekend-shootings-most-violent-weekend-2020-may-29-june-1

Nineteen people were killed and at least 63 others were wounded by gun violence in Chicago’s most violent weekend of the year so far, which also saw widespread protests, riots and looting throughout the city in the wake of the Minneapolis police killing of George Floyd.

More than half of the weekend’s victims were shot on Sunday as the city reeled from violent protests Saturday night that led to hundreds of arrests and the implementation of a curfew.

The weekend’s toll surpasses the tally from the same weekend in 2019, when 52 people were wounded — 8 fatally — in citywide gun violence.
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I have a 19 year old black son that is about 6'2'' and 215 pounds. I've seen the reaction he gets from some people when we're out in public. He has actually told me about how his presence can intimidate some white people.

But I've also dealt with white teachers who have held him to lower academic and behavioral standards also because of his black skin.
    And those white teachers did him no favors.

So, if your store was having a shoplifting problem that was caused by young black men, is your following a young black man systemic racism? You know who plays the knockout game? I'd be watchful around young black men on a public street. A young black recruit at a Pac 12 school has a lot going for him. Tough to see how systemic racism has hurt him.

Well he told you how. You're free to not believe him.
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793

Mass incarceration and disproportionately severe sentencing is a good example of systematic racism. The “criminal justice system,” as absolutely everyone refers to it by, is a prime example.

Seems like that's starting to be addressed finally.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/3100-inmates-to-be-released-as-trump-administration-implements-criminal-justice-reform/2019/07/19/7ed0daf6-a9a4-11e9-a3a6-ab670962db05_story.html?outputType=amp

Biden and Clinton did a lot of damage with the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 that is taking a while to undo.
    Thats a good thing and at least addressing getting people out, but if its based on the original sentence there is still some built in disparity. Prison profiteering and corrupt judges are going to keep it all going.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,171 Standard Supporter

Seems like that's starting to be addressed finally.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/3100-inmates-to-be-released-as-trump-administration-implements-criminal-justice-reform/2019/07/19/7ed0daf6-a9a4-11e9-a3a6-ab670962db05_story.html?outputType=amp

Biden and Clinton did a lot of damage with the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 that is taking a while to undo.
    No it's the right! They did it all!!!!!!!

That and America has never had a black president because racism!!!!!!!!!
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,534 Founders Club

Blacks commit way over 40 perent of crime. I think it might be low 50s. I don't have time to look it up. I suppose it's somehow white people's fault though. Oppression and shit.