Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jimmy Lake

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,687
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jimmy got a lot of credit for recruiting under Petersen

Might want to keep the cork on the champagne

And beat the Beavs

Credit deserved? Or was it Pete actually closing the deal?
    Don't know. Just what I heard here
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Have to also think the school's overall lack of commitment to football might play a factor. If Oregon is recruiting you they can easily point out that Washington wasn't able to find a way to let their kids play in a championship game and they did and as a kid you'd have to listen to that in my opinion

Could be. But Jimmy is also at fault for that. Plenty of schools didn't miss a beat due to covid tracing. Were they all just lucky, or did their coaches manage to circumvent a comically dysfunctional system?
    Great question . . . I wondered the same thing. I’ve got a hunch that coaches managed to circumvent a comically dysfunctional system.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,098
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This seemed like an appropriate thread. I honestly thought these two were the same guy.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

We are in a stage of denial if we think all it takes to change recruiting momentum is winning on the field

Lots of you are delusional about recruiting. Winning absolutely helps recruiting. Kids see teams balling out and want to do the same thing.

We went 8-5 in 2019 and had last season cancelled. We also had a boring offense during Pete’s time and also lost every big bowl game. The whole conference except for Oregon doesn’t seem to be recruiting well.
    I couldn’t disagree with you more on this

You see conditions, say that they are what they are, throw your hands up, and say couldn’t have done any better. That’s mediocrity at best.

If you are determined to chase greatness then you set a vision and everything you do is tied to executing that vision … you see obstacles as items that make you stronger while overcoming them … in a few words you’re relentless in your pursuit

Let’s be real honest right now

Oregon is relentless in everything they are doing right now

Name one item that UW is doing right now that can be described as relentless?

As a program right now we can best be described as fat, happy, resting on our past laurels, and unwilling to relentlessly fight
    I don’t think we are recruiting well. I think it’s realistic to think we can after a big season.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,310
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I'm pessimistic but trying to keep an open mind until the end of this season and the next recruiting cycle.

It’s fair to keep an open mind

On the field they should be good this year … anything in the 8-4 range sends the alarm bells into a full scale alert of the highest levels

It’s one thing to me if we got our targets and the stars weren’t where you’d like them

But we’re seeing significant numbers of decommits AND whiffing on many of our top targets (particularly some that should be layups

The biggest worry is likely to come when we see heavy attrition in the off-season … that has the chance to topple the house of cards Jimmy is presiding over
    If they suck this year I will fight my way back off the bandwagon

I reuse to panic over the future until after the season
    Fair enough. We just ask that you let the rest of us panic in peace.
    I needed a new unpopular leader to supper
    I certainly don't begrudge you your opinion, but it's interesting coming from Mr. Always Count on UW to make the Wrong Decision.
    Race’s MO has always been prove to me that I should crown your ass prior to me crowning your ass

With Jimmy it’s LIPO despite that the WINNERS WIN mantra has been punished in recruiting
    The Donovan hire, the Gregory promotion and the awful recruiting are all signs that we are in trouble.

I suppose my hope is that we steamroll the Pac-12 this year and then Jimmy gets a couple big signees and the staff starts trying harder and we see gains and seed momentum. That's a lot to hope for but it's where I'm at.
    That’s some nice hope considering he’s failed to meet bare minimum expectations in literally everything else as a HC.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

We are in a stage of denial if we think all it takes to change recruiting momentum is winning on the field

Lots of you are delusional about recruiting. Winning absolutely helps recruiting. Kids see teams balling out and want to do the same thing.

We went 8-5 in 2019 and had last season cancelled. We also had a boring offense during Pete’s time and also lost every big bowl game. The whole conference except for Oregon doesn’t seem to be recruiting well.

You see conditions, say that they are what they are, throw your hands up, and say couldn’t have done any better. That’s mediocrity at best.

If you are determined to chase greatness then you set a vision and everything you do is tied to executing that vision … you see obstacles as items that make you stronger while overcoming them … in a few words you’re relentless in your pursuit

As a program right now we can best be described as fat, happy, resting on our past laurels, and unwilling to relentlessly fight
    I don’t think we are recruiting well. I think it’s realistic to think we can after a big season.
    How specifically do you think it’s realistic?

I can cite plenty of examples just from a staff composition example that explain why things are the way they are
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,473
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

How specifically do you think it’s realistic?

I can cite plenty of examples just from a staff composition example that explain why things are the way they are
    The only way things improve is to overhaul the entire coaching staff, with or without Jimmy
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    Swaye's Wigwam

We should be decent this year, but Jimmy will need to change if he hopes to have any future here.

If he doesn't overhaul the entire coaching and recruiting staff come December, then a world could exist...

Could not be more right. IF JL wants to get to the NFL he's going to need more than just two years success with right/wrong fair/not a roster put together by a hall of fame Coach in PC.

His results after the season in terms of who is still on staff and the programs recruiting philosophy is far more important to his overall success here than the regular season record in 2021
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

And you're in denial if you don't think the league and the school took a big hit off the field during covid

The only way to change the narrative is to change the narrative. USC fans are freaking out too as they should I guess.

People forget that the last meaningful Husky game was another gutless loss to Oregon in 2019

Sounds like some of you want Jimmy to fail just so you can say you were right - Hi Kim
    Win the Pac-12 and then make some staff changes. That's the only plan I can come up with to get back on track.
    Which is a tough message as it is right?

How do you position yourself to have a loyal staff going forward if their reward for winning a conference is a pink slip and buyout since the odds of them getting promotions are slim to none for most

This is what it looks like when you double down on the wrong path over and over
    Damn Teq, you are on fire with your takes tonight.

I still can't get over the idea that JL knew Pete was going to get rid of Hamden, Jordan, BG, and KB at the end of 2019 before he bailed, and for whatever reason didn't follow through even though he had to see what needed to be done.

And now as you say no matter what happens at the end of the year he is f'ed.

Big year, makes the necessary changes to the staff and the optics look terrible in a profession that has a small circle.

Subpar year, make the necessary changes, but optics from recruits standpoint coming here continue to go wrong way.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I'm pessimistic but trying to keep an open mind until the end of this season and the next recruiting cycle.

On the field they should be good this year … anything in the 8-4 range sends the alarm bells into a full scale alert of the highest levels

It’s one thing to me if we got our targets and the stars weren’t where you’d like them

But we’re seeing significant numbers of decommits AND whiffing on many of our top targets (particularly some that should be layups

The biggest worry is likely to come when we see heavy attrition in the off-season … that has the chance to topple the house of cards Jimmy is presiding over

I certainly don't begrudge you your opinion, but it's interesting coming from Mr. Always Count on UW to make the Wrong Decision.
    Race’s MO has always been prove to me that I should crown your ass prior to me crowning your ass

With Jimmy it’s LIPO despite that the WINNERS WIN mantra has been punished in recruiting
    The Donovan hire, the Gregory promotion and the awful recruiting are all signs that we are in trouble.

I suppose my hope is that we steamroll the Pac-12 this year and then Jimmy gets a couple big signees and the staff starts trying harder and we see gains and seed momentum. That's a lot to hope for but it's where I'm at.
    Jimmy has surrounded himself with yes people

K had enough sway to check Jimmy and I’m pretty sure reading between the lines that he got pushed out the door
    A huge raise and coaching for a bigger program is being pushed out the door?

Your reading between the lines shit seems fictional to me.
    Pete's K raise was only 450-500k a year with an additional year iirc

Our staff salary has went down a million since Pete left in 2019.

IMO we would have matched Texas offer (or came close enough) had PK wanted to stay.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jimmy got a lot of credit for recruiting under Petersen

Might want to keep the cork on the champagne

And beat the Beavs

Credit deserved? Or was it Pete actually closing the deal?
    Every day that goes by we are getting that answered via a hammer to the nuts.
  • Options
    godawgst said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Jimmy has surrounded himself with yes people

K had enough sway to check Jimmy and I’m pretty sure reading between the lines that he got pushed out the door
    A huge raise and coaching for a bigger program is being pushed out the door?

Your reading between the lines shit seems fictional to me.
    Pete's K raise was only 450-500k a year with an additional year iirc

Our staff salary has went down a million since Pete left in 2019.

IMO we would have matched Texas offer (or came close enough) had PK wanted to stay.
    Bingo

PK leaving was never about the $$$ … if it was it would have been matched one way or the other
  • Options
    godawgst said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

And you're in denial if you don't think the league and the school took a big hit off the field during covid

The only way to change the narrative is to change the narrative. USC fans are freaking out too as they should I guess.

People forget that the last meaningful Husky game was another gutless loss to Oregon in 2019

Sounds like some of you want Jimmy to fail just so you can say you were right - Hi Kim
    Win the Pac-12 and then make some staff changes. That's the only plan I can come up with to get back on track.
    Which is a tough message as it is right?

How do you position yourself to have a loyal staff going forward if their reward for winning a conference is a pink slip and buyout since the odds of them getting promotions are slim to none for most

This is what it looks like when you double down on the wrong path over and over
    Damn Teq, you are on fire with your takes tonight.

I still can't get over the idea that JL knew Pete was going to get rid of Hamden, Jordan, BG, and KB at the end of 2019 before he bailed, and for whatever reason didn't follow through even though he had to see what needed to be done.

And now as you say no matter what happens at the end of the year he is f'ed.

Big year, makes the necessary changes to the staff and the optics look terrible in a profession that has a small circle.

Subpar year, make the necessary changes, but optics from recruits standpoint coming here continue to go wrong way.

Thanks

These are just logic arguments that come down to pick your outcome and what does that reality look like

Jimmy’s put himself in a situation that there really aren’t any good short term fixes to
  • Options
    chuck said:

Someone should make a comprehensive list of all the reasons why recruiting is so bad right now, then everyone rank them from most to least influential. I think a good evaluation would reveal some likely answers to the question of whether recruiting can or will improve enough with good results on the field this fall.

That would be fun. Do it like the Jesse Callier memorial vote thing. The more people vote the more likely it becomes that you'll arrive at the right answer.

Too ambitious for me. I'll give you all a hint though. The answer is no. This isn't from 8-5 or anything having to do with Petersen. It's not because of 3-1. Its because of things and people that aren't going away. He won't unhire Donovan or any of the other non-recruiters on staff. He won't replace any of them with guys who would get a sniff from programs dedicated to winning big. All this staff has done is double down on the strategy that brought them to this point.

None of the things that really matter are changing. The AD isn't going to have a sudden makeover. Kids' perception of UW as not among the cool destinations isn't going away until they manage to get and hold onto some big time kids. It's grim fellas. Face it.

Donovan is a good example …

Let’s even go to the point where JonDon proves that he’s a better OC than anybody thought (which btw I probably fall more on the side that he’s better than we think) …

The problem is the optics of the hire were so bad that it basically screamed that Jimmy had to go to the depths to get a warm body …

It just is hard to look at really anything off the field that Jimmy has done and not view it collectively as a series of missteps … greatest example being his speech at the Oregon hoops game … he wrote a check that day that he hasn’t come close to cashing
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Someone should make a comprehensive list of all the reasons why recruiting is so bad right now, then everyone rank them from most to least influential. I think a good evaluation would reveal some likely answers to the question of whether recruiting can or will improve enough with good results on the field this fall.

That would be fun. Do it like the Jesse Callier memorial vote thing. The more people vote the more likely it becomes that you'll arrive at the right answer.

Too ambitious for me. I'll give you all a hint though. The answer is no. This isn't from 8-5 or anything having to do with Petersen. It's not because of 3-1. Its because of things and people that aren't going away. He won't unhire Donovan or any of the other non-recruiters on staff. He won't replace any of them with guys who would get a sniff from programs dedicated to winning big. All this staff has done is double down on the strategy that brought them to this point.

None of the things that really matter are changing. The AD isn't going to have a sudden makeover. Kids' perception of UW as not among the cool destinations isn't going away until they manage to get and hold onto some big time kids. It's grim fellas. Face it.

Sad little exercise. Of the usual top 20 programs in CFB how many would take any of our coaches in a swap or to even just fill a position on their staff in terms of recruiting only?

I'd say Huff and I will give Malloe the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't take Adams, but there might be teams out there that would.

The rest of staff, they would laugh at the thought.

There should be no one surprised recruiting is going the way it is.