Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Should you expect to be able to raise a family on a minimum wage job?

1234568»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,958

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

People don’t work, they’re scum mooching off the government.

People do work, they’re scum for wanting to be paid enough to live.

Keep the average workers pay stagnant, for 50 years, then cry about how rich people pay all the taxes.

Claim it’s the governments job to protect people, make a bunch of excuses why the government shouldn’t protect people.

It’s the same notes over and over again. Yawn.

Or you could fuck strawman ass when you don't want to honestly address other people's arguments.

Who has kept the average workers pay stagnant? Do they have a name? Do you believe that people with job skills that only command a minimum wage in compensation should be able to support a family of four off that job, yes or no?
    Oh, we should be honest? What should minimum wage be then?

And, I know, strawman. But your obvious bait is obvious. Stop begging for it.
    I don't believe there should be a minimum wage. Let the market set what wages are paid. And of course you dodged the questions you were asked.
    Ok, so you are the far right on this and I am the far left. You can’t get more extreme than no minimum wage. We’ll, slavery but I won’t accuse you of wanting that yet. The difference is it might be possible to run on my position and win.

I’ll give you what you want. Yes, you should be able to raise a family on minimum wage.

Disagree.

Save the uber-rich and invalids .... The whole point of life - the American dream - is to climb a ladder to something better. If the first job you come across is shoveling shit and that's all you have for the rest of your life, then sure minimum wage should be higher.

But the point is to grow, to something better, for more. And you use the lesser jobs along the way to grow and improve your skills.

Further it's a dangerous, cancerous mentality to remove the incentive to create more for yourself and your family. If you remove incentive, you breed a society of invalids.

The American Dream is false hope. You live in a fantasy land.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brookings.edu/blog/social-mobility-memos/2018/01/11/raj-chetty-in-14-charts-big-findings-on-opportunity-and-mobility-we-should-know/amp/

I’m sure it’s taxes and regulations holding everyone down though. Definitely not rich people with their boots on throat of the poor. Give them more power, it’ll trickle down.

Would Faye would call her rise up the ranks "false hope".

Axeing for a fren.

It worked for one person. I guess all the statistical evidence is wrong then.
    If you insist on being this myopic, I think we?re done here.

If you insist on thinking a single example disproves statistical fact then we never even started.
    Every human being (without a developmental disability) has the capacity for growth.

The poor aren't taught that. At all.

They are lulled and deluded into thinking somebody else (usually the government) will take care of them.

It's like the frog and the boiling water. They won't know how fucked they are until there is no chance left.

We could go down endless rabbit holes on this topic.

And who is behind this massive conspiracy to hold down the poor? Is it George Soros?
    That's a great fucking question.

The only thing I know for sure, is the values taught in our schools right now is what is behind the removal of incentive from our society. Whether it was meant to be or not.

Ok, I can go somewhere with this. I do believe millennials less interested in climbing the ladder than previous generations. We are more content with less. I do not it agree it’s because of the removal of incentive. I think it’s because we don’t want to be like you. And I mean you in the broader sense, it’s not a personal attack.

Most millennials were in school on 9/11. Our first experience with another culture was watching buildings with thousands of people inside them collapse to the ground. And you guys can’t figure out why we’re so sensitive to people with different cultures. You tried to sell us on hating them. They hate us for our freedom. You’re with us or against us. But it didn’t take. We didn’t buy it.

The you started a war with a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. For oil. For money. For geopolitical power. And you guys can’t figure out why we won’t obsess over money and power? Why that’s not what drives? Why we don’t want to be like that?

Our values were taught to us unintentionally. We watched the older generations and we learned that that’s not who we wanted to be. There’s no grand conspiracy. You guys are assholes and we noticed.
    You kind of sound like a victim and your generation is obsessed with other people's money to the point of severe envy and your politics follow along demanding they give it to you

Any generalizations about boomers or millennials is soft and lazy

We were there first and we hated the greatest generation
    I don't dislike you because you're a Boomer.

I dislike you because you're a cunt.

JK bb
    I don't dislike you because you're a cunt. You're a cunt because I dislike you.
  • BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    SFGbob said:

I keep hearing the Rats talking about how all jobs should pay a "living wage" and Willie Brown's concubine just stated that you should be able to pay all your bills working just one job, I just wonder how many of you libs agree with this sentiment.

Should I really be able to pay all of my bills working a fast food restaurant job, or working at a Walmart?

Does your list include the undocumented workers recently fired from Trump's golf club after it became known that his club hired them illegally to avoid paying the higher wages that documented workers would have demanded?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Keep the average workers pay stagnant, for 50 years, then cry about how rich people pay all the taxes.

Claim it’s the governments job to protect people, make a bunch of excuses why the government shouldn’t protect people.

Or you could fuck strawman ass when you don't want to honestly address other people's arguments.

Who has kept the average workers pay stagnant? Do they have a name? Do you believe that people with job skills that only command a minimum wage in compensation should be able to support a family of four off that job, yes or no?

I don't believe there should be a minimum wage. Let the market set what wages are paid. And of course you dodged the questions you were asked.
    Ok, so you are the far right on this and I am the far left. You can’t get more extreme than no minimum wage. We’ll, slavery but I won’t accuse you of wanting that yet. The difference is it might be possible to run on my position and win.

I’ll give you what you want. Yes, you should be able to raise a family on minimum wage.

Disagree.

Save the uber-rich and invalids .... The whole point of life - the American dream - is to climb a ladder to something better. If the first job you come across is shoveling shit and that's all you have for the rest of your life, then sure minimum wage should be higher.

But the point is to grow, to something better, for more. And you use the lesser jobs along the way to grow and improve your skills.

Further it's a dangerous, cancerous mentality to remove the incentive to create more for yourself and your family. If you remove incentive, you breed a society of invalids.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brookings.edu/blog/social-mobility-memos/2018/01/11/raj-chetty-in-14-charts-big-findings-on-opportunity-and-mobility-we-should-know/amp/

I’m sure it’s taxes and regulations holding everyone down though. Definitely not rich people with their boots on throat of the poor. Give them more power, it’ll trickle down.

Axeing for a fren.

If you insist on thinking a single example disproves statistical fact then we never even started.
    Every human being (without a developmental disability) has the capacity for growth.

They are lulled and deluded into thinking somebody else (usually the government) will take care of them.

It's like the frog and the boiling water. They won't know how fucked they are until there is no chance left.

And who is behind this massive conspiracy to hold down the poor? Is it George Soros?

The only thing I know for sure, is the values taught in our schools right now is what is behind the removal of incentive from our society. Whether it was meant to be or not.

Ok, I can go somewhere with this. I do believe millennials less interested in climbing the ladder than previous generations. We are more content with less. I do not it agree it’s because of the removal of incentive. I think it’s because we don’t want to be like you. And I mean you in the broader sense, it’s not a personal attack.

Most millennials were in school on 9/11. Our first experience with another culture was watching buildings with thousands of people inside them collapse to the ground. And you guys can’t figure out why we’re so sensitive to people with different cultures. You tried to sell us on hating them. They hate us for our freedom. You’re with us or against us. But it didn’t take. We didn’t buy it.

The you started a war with a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. For oil. For money. For geopolitical power. And you guys can’t figure out why we won’t obsess over money and power? Why that’s not what drives? Why we don’t want to be like that?

Our values were taught to us unintentionally. We watched the older generations and we learned that that’s not who we wanted to be. There’s no grand conspiracy. You guys are assholes and we noticed.
    You kind of sound like a victim and your generation is obsessed with other people's money to the point of severe envy and your politics follow along demanding they give it to you

I don’t feel like a victim. And based on what you say right after that I’d call it a projection. Which we’ve learned your generation loves to do.

The Trump supporter has a problem with generalizations. Ok, buddy.

I think your point about the greatest generation and then hippies is fair. Maybe this is a phase or just what youth is. That’s not what I see but I’ve been wrong before.
    Dude you guys are obsessed with other people's money. It's not a projection. I'm happy with mine I just want to keep it
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Member Posts: 1,796
    You want money? Here’s the formula. Learn a skill. Get a job. Want a better job? Add to your skills. Repeat until you’re satisfied. The entire time you do this, put away a minimum of 15% for retirement. Invest well. Some day, you’ll be thinking about retirement and calculating what you have vs what you need. If you start saving early enough, the math will be favorable. The longer you wait to save, the longer you’ll work. If you start this in your early 20’s you can retire in your early 60’s. Wait until you’re 35 then you’ll be working until you’re 75 (assuming you follow a middle class path). This is still true today.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

I don’t feel like a victim. And based on what you say right after that I’d call it a projection. Which we’ve learned your generation loves to do.

I think your point about the greatest generation and then hippies is fair. Maybe this is a phase or just what youth is. That’s not what I see but I’ve been wrong before.
    Dude you guys are obsessed with other people's money. It's not a projection. I'm happy with mine I just want to keep it

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

See?

Why do you care?
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,943
    Baphomet said:

SFGbob said:

I keep hearing the Rats talking about how all jobs should pay a "living wage" and Willie Brown's concubine just stated that you should be able to pay all your bills working just one job, I just wonder how many of you libs agree with this sentiment.

Should I really be able to pay all of my bills working a fast food restaurant job, or working at a Walmart?

Does your list include the undocumented workers recently fired from Trump's golf club after it became known that his club hired them illegally to avoid paying the higher wages that documented workers would have demanded?
    Wow, now that is struggling.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,943
    USMChawk said:

You want money? Here’s the formula. Learn a skill. Get a job. Want a better job? Add to your skills. Repeat until you’re satisfied. The entire time you do this, put away a minimum of 15% for retirement. Invest well. Some day, you’ll be thinking about retirement and calculating what you have vs what you need. If you start saving early enough, the math will be favorable. The longer you wait to save, the longer you’ll work. If you start this in your early 20’s you can retire in your early 60’s. Wait until you’re 35 then you’ll be working until you’re 75 (assuming you follow a middle class path). This is still true today.

The power of compound interest is a beautiful thing.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,974
    Jobs exist to get shit done. That's it. Any idea that jobs are somehow more than that is just fairy tale bullshit.

Standard of living is derived from what people are out there accomplishing. Imagine a society where we pay everyone $50 an hour to cook hamburgers. What is everyone gonna do with all that money? Well, all anyone does is cook burgers, so have fun spending your income on $200 hamburgers.