Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Should you expect to be able to raise a family on a minimum wage job?

Comments

• allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

People don’t work, they’re scum mooching off the government.

People do work, they’re scum for wanting to be paid enough to live.

Keep the average workers pay stagnant, for 50 years, then cry about how rich people pay all the taxes.

Claim it’s the governments job to protect people, make a bunch of excuses why the government shouldn’t protect people.

It’s the same notes over and over again. Yawn.

Or you could fuck strawman ass when you don't want to honestly address other people's arguments.

Who has kept the average workers pay stagnant? Do they have a name? Do you believe that people with job skills that only command a minimum wage in compensation should be able to support a family of four off that job, yes or no?
    Oh, we should be honest? What should minimum wage be then?

And, I know, strawman. But your obvious bait is obvious. Stop begging for it.
    I don't believe there should be a minimum wage. Let the market set what wages are paid. And of course you dodged the questions you were asked.
    Ok, so you are the far right on this and I am the far left. You can’t get more extreme than no minimum wage. We’ll, slavery but I won’t accuse you of wanting that yet. The difference is it might be possible to run on my position and win.

I’ll give you what you want. Yes, you should be able to raise a family on minimum wage.

Disagree.

Save the uber-rich and invalids .... The whole point of life - the American dream - is to climb a ladder to something better. If the first job you come across is shoveling shit and that's all you have for the rest of your life, then sure minimum wage should be higher.

But the point is to grow, to something better, for more. And you use the lesser jobs along the way to grow and improve your skills.

Further it's a dangerous, cancerous mentality to remove the incentive to create more for yourself and your family. If you remove incentive, you breed a society of invalids.

The American Dream is false hope. You live in a fantasy land.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brookings.edu/blog/social-mobility-memos/2018/01/11/raj-chetty-in-14-charts-big-findings-on-opportunity-and-mobility-we-should-know/amp/

I’m sure it’s taxes and regulations holding everyone down though. Definitely not rich people with their boots on throat of the poor. Give them more power, it’ll trickle down.

Would Faye would call her rise up the ranks "false hope".

Axeing for a fren.

It worked for one person. I guess all the statistical evidence is wrong then.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,924 Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Keep the average workers pay stagnant, for 50 years, then cry about how rich people pay all the taxes.

Claim it’s the governments job to protect people, make a bunch of excuses why the government shouldn’t protect people.

Or you could fuck strawman ass when you don't want to honestly address other people's arguments.

Who has kept the average workers pay stagnant? Do they have a name? Do you believe that people with job skills that only command a minimum wage in compensation should be able to support a family of four off that job, yes or no?

I don't believe there should be a minimum wage. Let the market set what wages are paid. And of course you dodged the questions you were asked.
    Ok, so you are the far right on this and I am the far left. You can’t get more extreme than no minimum wage. We’ll, slavery but I won’t accuse you of wanting that yet. The difference is it might be possible to run on my position and win.

I’ll give you what you want. Yes, you should be able to raise a family on minimum wage.

Disagree.

Save the uber-rich and invalids .... The whole point of life - the American dream - is to climb a ladder to something better. If the first job you come across is shoveling shit and that's all you have for the rest of your life, then sure minimum wage should be higher.

But the point is to grow, to something better, for more. And you use the lesser jobs along the way to grow and improve your skills.

Further it's a dangerous, cancerous mentality to remove the incentive to create more for yourself and your family. If you remove incentive, you breed a society of invalids.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brookings.edu/blog/social-mobility-memos/2018/01/11/raj-chetty-in-14-charts-big-findings-on-opportunity-and-mobility-we-should-know/amp/

I’m sure it’s taxes and regulations holding everyone down though. Definitely not rich people with their boots on throat of the poor. Give them more power, it’ll trickle down.

Axeing for a fren.

If you insist on being this myopic, I think we?re done here.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

1. bullshit

2. You're helping those rich that want to put a boot on the throat by giving them a labor force that can't complain that fucks the force that can
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,943

SFGbob said:

If they’re not going to pay people less than minimum wage, why do you need to get rid of it?

Because not every place is SF and because even here in SF there are some jobs that aren't worth paying a $15 and hour minimum wage.

What if I own a small store out in Merced and I'd like to have someone sweep my parking lot every other day. The job takes about an hour and half. It's not worth it to me pay someone that high a minimum wage for that type of work. But I would pay someone $10 an hour to do it. If no one is willing to do it for that kind of money I'd have to raise the wage I was willing to pay. If I'm not willing to pay $15 an hour that's a job that is never created.

Not having a minimum wage would allow for the creation of these types of jobs.
    Oh my god, it’ll create a 6 hour a week job sweeping a parking lot? Why didn’t you just say so!
    The fact that you shit on that type of work speaks volumes. When I was a 13 year old kid that's exactly the kind of work I did, along with dozens of other small tasks. If the people I had worked for had all been forced to pay me a $15 an hour "minimum" wage I'd dare say that about half of those jobs would have never been created.

Again, you think every job should pay enough to support a family of four. You have a very limited and twisted view of the labor market.

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

Yeah, only one person has been able to do that. Hell my fucking wife was able to do that. But I guess her story doesn't count either.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    SFGbob said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

What impact does adding millions of illiterate dirt farmers who don't speak the language have on that?
    The same one who are stealing your jobs because you can’t compete?

SFGbob said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

What impact does adding millions of illiterate dirt farmers who don't speak the language have on that?
    Of course you old racist fuck the math and numbers and shit show that American minorities and legal immigrants are hurt the most by illegals.

Not that you white trash give a fuck
    1. bullshit

2. You're helping those rich that want to put a boot on the throat by giving them a labor force that can't complain that fucks the force that can

He is willing to buy them off with "free" shitty healthcare and "free" crappy colleges. That they'll attend after spending 12 years in a shitty public school system. But hey, their minimum wage job will at least pay a "living" wage

SFGbob said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Of course you old racist fuck the math and numbers and shit show that American minorities and legal immigrants are hurt the most by illegals.

He doesn't give a fuck. More illegals more cheap labor for him to exploit. Weird the way this fraud never has anything to say against the people who are calling for a "living wage." Only those of us who want to clamp down on illegal immigration.
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

He doesn't give a fuck. More illegals more cheap labor for him to exploit. Weird the way this fraud never has anything to say against the people who are calling for a "living wage." Only those of us who want to clamp down on illegal immigration.
    I literally just told you in another thread I’d support Trump over Kamala Harris.
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

If they’re not going to pay people less than minimum wage, why do you need to get rid of it?

Because not every place is SF and because even here in SF there are some jobs that aren't worth paying a $15 and hour minimum wage.

What if I own a small store out in Merced and I'd like to have someone sweep my parking lot every other day. The job takes about an hour and half. It's not worth it to me pay someone that high a minimum wage for that type of work. But I would pay someone $10 an hour to do it. If no one is willing to do it for that kind of money I'd have to raise the wage I was willing to pay. If I'm not willing to pay $15 an hour that's a job that is never created.

Oh my god, it’ll create a 6 hour a week job sweeping a parking lot? Why didn’t you just say so!
    The fact that you shit on that type of work speaks volumes. When I was a 13 year old kid that's exactly the kind of work I did, along with dozens of other small tasks. If the people I had worked for had all been forced to pay me a $15 an hour "minimum" wage I'd dare say that about half of those jobs would have never been created.

Again, you think every job should pay enough to support a family of four. You have a very limited and twisted view of the labor market.

I’m not shitting on it. I’m just not impressed with your genius economic plan to create 6 hour a week jobs for 13 year olds.

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

1. bullshit

I think “bullshit” as a reason is a downgrade from “causation”.

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

1. bullshit

I think “bullshit” as a reason is a downgrade from “causation”.
    Bullshit isn't a reason its a judgement of content
    pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

If you insist on thinking a single example disproves statistical fact then we never even started.
    edited January 2019

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

I’m not shitting on it. I’m just not impressed with your genius economic plan to create 6 hour a week jobs for 13 year olds.
    It wasn't an economic plan, I was explaining to you reasons not to have a minimum wage because you asked for them. And with that you can go fuck yourself you're not interested in a conversation.

I'll know from now on to respond to you in kind.

And yes you were shitting on that type of work.

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

It wasn't an economic plan, I was explaining to you reasons not to have a minimum wage because you asked for them. And with that you can go fuck yourself you're not interested in a conversation.

In this thread you have called me pajama boy, accused me of exploiting illegal labor, accused me of wanting to buy off poor people with healthcare and college, said I wasn’t capable of rational thought or honesty and called Hispanics illiterate dirt farmers from shitty cultures.

But I’m the one not interested in a conversation.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,924 Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

If you insist on thinking a single example disproves statistical fact then we never even started.
    Every human being (without a developmental disability) has the capacity for growth.

The poor aren't taught that. At all.

They are lulled and deluded into thinking somebody else (usually the government) will take care of them.

It's like the frog and the boiling water. They won't know how fucked they are until there is no chance left.

We could go down endless rabbit holes on this topic.

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

In this thread you have called me pajama boy, accused me of exploiting illegal labor, accused me of wanting to buy off poor people with healthcare and college, said I wasn’t capable of rational thought or honesty and called Hispanics illiterate dirt farmers from shitty cultures.

But I’m the one not interested in a conversation.
    Actually I said CD was into exploiting illegal labor.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390

SFGbob said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Quotas are now the new trump thing? And a wall?
    Not surprised. Anything rather than having to compete. You are all very transparent, I’ll give you that.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited January 2019

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Family? Two people? Four? Eight? One person and a cat? Should a blind person who is worth $12 in productivity have to settle for zero because he isn’t worth $15? Why is not legal for a person worth $13 an hour to work if the minimum wage is higher than that?