Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Should you expect to be able to raise a family on a minimum wage job?

Comments

• allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

People don’t work, they’re scum mooching off the government.

People do work, they’re scum for wanting to be paid enough to live.

Keep the average workers pay stagnant, for 50 years, then cry about how rich people pay all the taxes.

Claim it’s the governments job to protect people, make a bunch of excuses why the government shouldn’t protect people.

It’s the same notes over and over again. Yawn.

Or you could fuck strawman ass when you don't want to honestly address other people's arguments.

Who has kept the average workers pay stagnant? Do they have a name? Do you believe that people with job skills that only command a minimum wage in compensation should be able to support a family of four off that job, yes or no?
    Oh, we should be honest? What should minimum wage be then?

And, I know, strawman. But your obvious bait is obvious. Stop begging for it.
    I don't believe there should be a minimum wage. Let the market set what wages are paid. And of course you dodged the questions you were asked.
    Ok, so you are the far right on this and I am the far left. You can’t get more extreme than no minimum wage. We’ll, slavery but I won’t accuse you of wanting that yet. The difference is it might be possible to run on my position and win.

I’ll give you what you want. Yes, you should be able to raise a family on minimum wage.

Disagree.

Save the uber-rich and invalids .... The whole point of life - the American dream - is to climb a ladder to something better. If the first job you come across is shoveling shit and that's all you have for the rest of your life, then sure minimum wage should be higher.

But the point is to grow, to something better, for more. And you use the lesser jobs along the way to grow and improve your skills.

Further it's a dangerous, cancerous mentality to remove the incentive to create more for yourself and your family. If you remove incentive, you breed a society of invalids.

The American Dream is false hope. You live in a fantasy land.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brookings.edu/blog/social-mobility-memos/2018/01/11/raj-chetty-in-14-charts-big-findings-on-opportunity-and-mobility-we-should-know/amp/

I’m sure it’s taxes and regulations holding everyone down though. Definitely not rich people with their boots on throat of the poor. Give them more power, it’ll trickle down.

Would Faye would call her rise up the ranks "false hope".

Axeing for a fren.

It worked for one person. I guess all the statistical evidence is wrong then.
    If you insist on being this myopic, I think we?re done here.

If you insist on thinking a single example disproves statistical fact then we never even started.
    Every human being (without a developmental disability) has the capacity for growth.

The poor aren't taught that. At all.

They are lulled and deluded into thinking somebody else (usually the government) will take care of them.

It's like the frog and the boiling water. They won't know how fucked they are until there is no chance left.

We could go down endless rabbit holes on this topic.

And who is behind this massive conspiracy to hold down the poor? Is it George Soros?
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,924 Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Keep the average workers pay stagnant, for 50 years, then cry about how rich people pay all the taxes.

Claim it’s the governments job to protect people, make a bunch of excuses why the government shouldn’t protect people.

Or you could fuck strawman ass when you don't want to honestly address other people's arguments.

Who has kept the average workers pay stagnant? Do they have a name? Do you believe that people with job skills that only command a minimum wage in compensation should be able to support a family of four off that job, yes or no?

I don't believe there should be a minimum wage. Let the market set what wages are paid. And of course you dodged the questions you were asked.
    Ok, so you are the far right on this and I am the far left. You can’t get more extreme than no minimum wage. We’ll, slavery but I won’t accuse you of wanting that yet. The difference is it might be possible to run on my position and win.

I’ll give you what you want. Yes, you should be able to raise a family on minimum wage.

Disagree.

Save the uber-rich and invalids .... The whole point of life - the American dream - is to climb a ladder to something better. If the first job you come across is shoveling shit and that's all you have for the rest of your life, then sure minimum wage should be higher.

But the point is to grow, to something better, for more. And you use the lesser jobs along the way to grow and improve your skills.

Further it's a dangerous, cancerous mentality to remove the incentive to create more for yourself and your family. If you remove incentive, you breed a society of invalids.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brookings.edu/blog/social-mobility-memos/2018/01/11/raj-chetty-in-14-charts-big-findings-on-opportunity-and-mobility-we-should-know/amp/

I’m sure it’s taxes and regulations holding everyone down though. Definitely not rich people with their boots on throat of the poor. Give them more power, it’ll trickle down.

Axeing for a fren.

If you insist on thinking a single example disproves statistical fact then we never even started.
    Every human being (without a developmental disability) has the capacity for growth.

They are lulled and deluded into thinking somebody else (usually the government) will take care of them.

It's like the frog and the boiling water. They won't know how fucked they are until there is no chance left.

And who is behind this massive conspiracy to hold down the poor? Is it George Soros?
    That's a great fucking question.

The only thing I know for sure, is the values taught in our schools right now is what is behind the removal of incentive from our society. Whether it was meant to be or not.

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

The only thing I know for sure, is the values taught in our schools right now is what is behind the removal of incentive from our society. Whether it was meant to be or not.

Ok, I can go somewhere with this. I do believe millennials less interested in climbing the ladder than previous generations. We are more content with less. I do not it agree it’s because of the removal of incentive. I think it’s because we don’t want to be like you. And I mean you in the broader sense, it’s not a personal attack.

Most millennials were in school on 9/11. Our first experience with another culture was watching buildings with thousands of people inside them collapse to the ground. And you guys can’t figure out why we’re so sensitive to people with different cultures. You tried to sell us on hating them. They hate us for our freedom. You’re with us or against us. But it didn’t take. We didn’t buy it.

The you started a war with a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. For oil. For money. For geopolitical power. And you guys can’t figure out why we won’t obsess over money and power? Why that’s not what drives? Why we don’t want to be like that?

Our values were taught to us unintentionally. We watched the older generations and we learned that that’s not who we wanted to be. There’s no grand conspiracy. You guys are assholes and we noticed.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,943

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

Ok, I can go somewhere with this. I do believe millennials less interested in climbing the ladder than previous generations. We are more content with less. I do not it agree it’s because of the removal of incentive. I think it’s because we don’t want to be like you. And I mean you in the broader sense, it’s not a personal attack.

Most millennials were in school on 9/11. Our first experience with another culture was watching buildings with thousands of people inside them collapse to the ground. And you guys can’t figure out why we’re so sensitive to people with different cultures. You tried to sell us on hating them. They hate us for our freedom. You’re with us or against us. But it didn’t take. We didn’t buy it.

The you started a war with a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. For oil. For money. For geopolitical power. And you guys can’t figure out why we won’t obsess over money and power? Why that’s not what drives? Why we don’t want to be like that?

Our values were taught to us unintentionally. We watched the older generations and we learned that that’s not who we wanted to be. There’s no grand conspiracy. You guys are assholes and we noticed.
    It's the same thing that ends up happening to all affluent societies.

You're soft and lazy. You've never really had to go without much. Most of you didn't have high-school jobs, most of you didn't spend your summers having to work. When you live in a country where even the poor have iPhones and TVs and cars and cable TV and video games and the internet you kill the incentive in some of those people.

Needing to work in order to eat is a great motivator.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    SFGbob said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

You're soft and lazy. You've never really had to go without much. Most of you didn't have high-school jobs, most of you didn't spend your summers having to work. When you live in a country where even the poor have iPhones and TVs and cars and cable TV and video games and the internet you kill the incentive in some of those people.

While I actually agree with the theory behind this. I know my kid and his friends, none of them see the struggle. That being said, there's millions of kids who still live that struggle. But I am curious what other model of affluent society you have studied to come to this conclusion.
    SFGbob said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

Lazy and soft is what every generation ever has said about the generations after them. The only thing that’s lazy and soft is your analysis.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

You kind of sound like a victim and your generation is obsessed with other people's money to the point of severe envy and your politics follow along demanding they give it to you

Any generalizations about boomers or millennials is soft and lazy

We were there first and we hated the greatest generation
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

If they’re not going to pay people less than minimum wage, why do you need to get rid of it?

Because not every place is SF and because even here in SF there are some jobs that aren't worth paying a $15 and hour minimum wage.

What if I own a small store out in Merced and I'd like to have someone sweep my parking lot every other day. The job takes about an hour and half. It's not worth it to me pay someone that high a minimum wage for that type of work. But I would pay someone $10 an hour to do it. If no one is willing to do it for that kind of money I'd have to raise the wage I was willing to pay. If I'm not willing to pay $15 an hour that's a job that is never created.

Not having a minimum wage would allow for the creation of these types of jobs.
    Oh my god, it’ll create a 6 hour a week job sweeping a parking lot? Why didn’t you just say so!
    The fact that you shit on that type of work speaks volumes. When I was a 13 year old kid that's exactly the kind of work I did, along with dozens of other small tasks. If the people I had worked for had all been forced to pay me a $15 an hour "minimum" wage I'd dare say that about half of those jobs would have never been created.

Again, you think every job should pay enough to support a family of four. You have a very limited and twisted view of the labor market.

I’m not shitting on it. I’m just not impressed with your genius economic plan to create 6 hour a week jobs for 13 year olds.
    It wasn't an economic plan, I was explaining to you reasons not to have a minimum wage because you asked for them. And with that you can go fuck yourself you're not interested in a conversation.

I'll know from now on to respond to you in kind.

And yes you were shitting on that type of work.

In this thread you have called me pajama boy, accused me of exploiting illegal labor, accused me of wanting to buy off poor people with healthcare and college, said I wasn’t capable of rational thought or honesty and called Hispanics illiterate dirt farmers from shitty cultures.

But I’m the one not interested in a conversation.
    Sometimes it's important to summarize exactly how you feel in a relationship before There's Hope of any progress to be made
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    Y

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

You sound French.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

You kind of sound like a victim and your generation is obsessed with other people's money to the point of severe envy and your politics follow along demanding they give it to you

I don't dislike you because you're a Boomer.

I dislike you because you're a cunt.

JK bb
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,541 Standard Supporter

She did.

When the sex tape is released, it's gonna be friggin' awesome.

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

I don’t feel like a victim. And based on what you say right after that I’d call it a projection. Which we’ve learned your generation loves to do.

The Trump supporter has a problem with generalizations. Ok, buddy.

I think your point about the greatest generation and then hippies is fair. Maybe this is a phase or just what youth is. That’s not what I see but I’ve been wrong before.
    salemcoog said:

Y

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

You sound French.

I only eat FREEDOM fries.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,876 Standard Supporter

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

JFC. Got any other threadbare discredited tropes in your SJW starter pack?
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,958
    SFGbob said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

We? are sorry our parents weren't poor white trash. I'm sure it was tough. Too bad. Fuck off and be poor.

SFGbob said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

What impact does adding millions of illiterate dirt farmers who don't speak the language have on that?
    The same one who are stealing your jobs because you can’t compete?
    Your fear is so palpable. Hanging on by a thread, trying to fool everyone with fanciful competition talk? Pretty obvious, fearful little man.
    pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

Axeing for a fren.

It all starts with "some boogeyman/other has his boot on your neck and will never let you up."
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,958

pawz said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Disagree.

JFC. Got any other threadbare discredited tropes in your SJW starter pack?
    Upvoted for "threadbare discredited tropes" and "SJW starter pack." Going into the rotation.