Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Guaranteed Basic Income

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    The silence of @MikeDamone speaks volumes
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,698 Founders Club

So guaranteeing a lazy asshole in Oklahoma Seattle an income will make him not be lazy.

Right

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

So guaranteeing a lazy asshole in Oklahoma an income will make him not be lazy.

Right

Nothing's changed with him; he has that already.
    And with your plantation mentality he won't change.

• CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    edited September 2017

Right

So the point is that overall it would be cheaper and more efficient to provide a cash subsidy in lieu of the all the special program bullshit (housing, job training, health insurance, food stamps, etc) and let the free market dictate the outcomes? Eliminate a massive amount of bureaucracy / overhead and let market forces work? Even for the perennially unemployed? It does sound compellling.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,873 Standard Supporter

Right

So the point is that overall it would be cheaper and more efficient to provide a cash subsidy in lieu of the all the special program bullshit (housing, job training, health insurance, food stamps, etc) and let the free market dictate the outcomes? Eliminate a massive amount of bureaucracy / overhead and let market forces work? Even for the perennially unemployed? It does sound compellling.
    Somebody failed economics 101.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Yeah, right. You get to keep all your shit and lock yourself into a nice ride into the sunset.

You really think there are enough small thinkers willing to permanently surrender their futures to get this passed for you?
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,873 Standard Supporter
    doogie said:

Yeah, right. You get to keep all your shit and lock yourself into a nice ride into the sunset.

You really think there are enough small thinkers willing to permanently surrender their futures to get this passed for you?

@doogie: Quick pointer. Try indicating who you're addressing.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390

Right

Sure did. Ironic isn't it?
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228

Right

Somebody else didn't take Econ 101
    I certainly missed the lectures in Econ 101 about per-capita equal Government handouts of monetized dollars to induce ekonomic activity. Can you fill me in?

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    doogie said:

I certainly missed the lectures in Econ 101 about per-capita equal Government handouts of monetized dollars to induce ekonomic activity. Can you fill me in?

That was the point, you fucking donkey.
    Sorry, I took Econ not ekon. Share with us the beauty of monetization and dollar destruction so you and me are given free money by the government to spend on shit.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,519 Founders Club
    What happens when they spend the cash on gambling, cheap booze, pills, junk food, cell phones, TV's etc.? Because I'm pretty sure that will happen. Then the idiotic liberals will whine about it, and all the programs will just be reinstated.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

Right

Disagree. The extra cash will make it easier for him to show up in Maltby.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    edited September 2017
    So just giving people what they need to live will motivate them to increase their skills to compete for better jobs.

Hmmm... since I was given the opportunity to post here for free. I didn't take the extra step of generating a Gene Wilder meme with the above paragraph in it as would be appropriate.

The motivation wasn't there. Some would call that human nature.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844

I just checked Hondo's source - wikipedia

If you want to streamline poverty programs and welfare to make one efficient program I am in. Just like in healthcare, it is cheaper to write checks than run all these bullshit programs that manage to keep most of the money out of the people who need it hands.

But poverty isn't caused by a lack of money. Its caused by poor choices and human nature. That won't change just because you hand someone money. It will make it worse.

But we? aren't going to let them starve so finding better ways to help the helpless makes sense. Getting generational families out of poverty should be the goal.

Somewhere in there has to be work. Maybe an income to build those aqueducts from Washington to So Cal. Or the Fresno Bullet Train

Keep in mind if we do eliminate programs we eliminate the jobs that go with them. Catch 22

I? pay 40-50% of my income in taxes already so having it used better is a good thing. Producers are still going to produce because of the freedom it brings. But there is a point at which income will be hid or sent off shore by the producers. You have to keep the suckers paying in to keep the ponzi scheme afloat

In any UBI scenario you're are still going to have some unproductive people, well being unproductive, but we already have that at present with all the disincentives towards work- i.e., why go flip burgers when it pays basically the same as saying your back hurts and collecting disability? With UBI, they can keep the basic monthly cash stipend, and thus there is no disincentive towards going out to hustle some more bucks mowing lawns or changing sheets in a hotel.
    It is incredibly difficult to get disability when your young. So the rest of your poont is moot.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,087 Standard Supporter
    Welfare recipients use their EBT card at the strip club. You think their "housing" portion of their cash handout isn't going to 40's and crack? You'll just have a huge number of homeless welfare dipshits floating around.

Your guaranteed basic income is fucking $0.00 Work for welfare is the answer.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

Right

And with your reservation mentality he won't change.