Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Guaranteed Basic Income

Comments

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    Girls that are putting themselves through college need housing too.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,904 Founders Club

The silence of @MikeDamone speaks volumes

He would waste 10,000 on this shit thread?

NYBE
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    pawz said:

NYBE
    He certainly cares about this thread.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

pawz said:

NYBE
    He certainly cares about this thread.
    He also cares about prostitution, the police and rhinos.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,963
    edited September 2017
    2001400ex said:

doogie said:

2 trillion in dollar monetization so far this year!

And food stamps are like $70 billion. Get some perspective.
    There are something like 250 million adults in the US. Assuming a "guaranteed income" of $20k/yr that's $5 trillion a year, and the govt already spends $1 trillion more per year than it takes in. You might want to get some perspective.

And hey...we should couple the "guaranteed income" with repeat immigration amnesties and liberal immigration policy...I bet that will make things better.

There is so much FS in this thread it is sad...
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,963

@RaceBannon "Lazy is going to be lazy" misses the point race. It's not the 1930's anymore and the Joads don't have to pack up the Hudson truck anymore to move to Cali-fornee to pick fruit vs staying in Oklahoma and starving to death. Now they can stay in the trailer in Oklahoma and live off disability, and why get a shitty job at the local Wallmart if the net is same as the disability. But how is the current model not a disincentive for work?

You are actually somewhat correct....there is a lot of disincentive in the current system to take advantage and not work (or work under the table). But the answer is to reduce/fix those issues, not say you ain't seen nothing yet and take it and go to 11...
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

2001400ex said:

doogie said:

2 trillion in dollar monetization so far this year!

And food stamps are like $70 billion. Get some perspective.
    There are something like 250 million adults in the US. Assuming a "guaranteed income" of $20k/yr that's $5 trillion a year, and the govt already spend $1 trillion more than it takes in. You might want to get some perspective.

And hey...we should couple the "guaranteed income" with repeat immigration amnesties and liberal immigration policy...I bet that will make things better.

There is so much FS in this thread it is sad...
    In case you haven't noticed. I don't support guaranteed income and further, we already have a method of guaranteed income and the Republicans were the last ones to expand that. It's called the earned income credit.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Sobering. That pic is quite literally how Mom, her 5 bros and one sis, travelled from S. Dakota to Seattle in 1938 in a Model A. They would drive until running out of gas then Grandpa would take the 4 older boys to a farmhouse offering free labor in exchange for gas/food. Then repeat until they made it to North Bend. Took about a month, I'm told.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,087 Standard Supporter
    doogie said:

Sobering. That pic is quite literally how Mom, her 5 bros and one sis, travelled from S. Dakota to Seattle in 1938 in a Model A. They would drive until running out of gas then Grandpa would take the 4 older boys to a farmhouse offering free labor in exchange for gas/food. Then repeat until they made it to North Bend. Took about a month, I'm told.

Imagine actually working for the things you need. Wow that's quite a concept.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    doogie said:

Free labor?

lol

And you took economics, huh?
  • rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    It wasn't free labor if they got gas/food
    dflea said:

doogie said:

Free labor?

lol

doogie said:

Your whole family sounds poor.
    yup, they were. Both Mom and Dad struggled during the depression to have daily food. Electricity didn't exist for either (most). Kids in the Yacht Club when I was growing up knew who earned it and who had it given to them. Adults did too.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    doogie said:

dflea said:

doogie said:

Free labor?

lol

doogie said:

Your whole family sounds poor.
    yup, they were. Both Mom and Dad struggled during the depression to have daily food. Electricity didn't exist for either (most). Kids in the Yacht Club when I was growing up knew who earned it and who had it given to them. Adults did too.
    You mean people like Paris Hilton and Donald Trump?

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,943 Founders Club
    Jesus, some of you guys are just like a bunch of Middlebury students. Why don't you take some free time and actually read the Charles Murray paper posted earlier on universal basic income before trotting out the same tired cliches. Murray's conservative and libertarian chops are fucking legit people. It's all theoretical obviously at this point but he lays down some pretty solid arguments.
    Free income is fucked up theory pushed by academics