Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Guaranteed Basic Income

Comments

• GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855

Minimum wage, basic income, etc...there is no benefit so long as the market is free to adjust prices to compensate. Essentially it does nothing good or bad.

If a price ceiling is implemented, it causes problems that aren't worth the benefit.

Politicians know all this, which is why minimum wage and basic income are discussed seriously, but nobody will fuck with prices.

This statement is fucked. Especially since entrepreneurship is more accessible with the internet. People with capital are going to create what is needed and since UBI will spread out capital, you're going to have a more competitive market which lowers prices.
    edited September 2017
    first time posting
    Sledog said:

Gwad said:

communism: a political theory derived from Karl Marx, advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs.

Universal Basic Income would be classless and personal possession of property would still exist. The 'this is communism' argument is just some dumb argument from broken baby boomers who took in too much war time propaganda when they were younger.

No such thing as classless regarding economic status. Never has been, never will be.

Classless Cuogs we've got.
    It will be classless pertaining to how they dole out UBI, as it will be a flat fixed rate.
    salemcoog said:

Gwad said:

I'd say what we have now is closer to communism as you never actually own your property due to taxes and levees. But with what we have now the wealth of the nation is funneled upward to make rich people richer.

Sane people agree that our economic and political structure is gamed to benefit the rich. I'm all for fair taxing of the rich. I'm all for eliminating tax deductions for everyone as well. A flat, tiered tax is the way to go imo.

Your plan is however expensive and it would need absolute isolationism for it to work. For if you are going to take it to the rich, you are going to have to stop them from taking their ball and running to a more tax friendly country. The same with big corporations.

This plan doesn't mesh with the progressive ideal of globalism, at all. It would require Economic Nationalism to a degree that would make even Troomps blush.
    Well big corporations are already taking the ball and running to tax havens. The current fiat status of our currency means that this is already going to happen, the dollar is going to shit sooner or later. Globalism doesn't have a long term viability anyways, it is only sustained by unlimited growth. Its perpetuation up to this point has been supported by taking things under the guise of 'spreading democracy'.

And people say Millennials are entitled. Can you believe it? It's such an unfair stereotype.

Ya Millenials were only raised by knuckle dragging baby boomers, i mean c'mon cut em some slack.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Gwad said:

salemcoog said:

Gwad said:

I'd say what we have now is closer to communism as you never actually own your property due to taxes and levees. But with what we have now the wealth of the nation is funneled upward to make rich people richer.

Sane people agree that our economic and political structure is gamed to benefit the rich. I'm all for fair taxing of the rich. I'm all for eliminating tax deductions for everyone as well. A flat, tiered tax is the way to go imo.

Your plan is however expensive and it would need absolute isolationism for it to work. For if you are going to take it to the rich, you are going to have to stop them from taking their ball and running to a more tax friendly country. The same with big corporations.

This plan doesn't mesh with the progressive ideal of globalism, at all. It would require Economic Nationalism to a degree that would make even Troomps blush.
    Well big corporations are already taking the ball and running to tax havens. The current fiat status of our currency means that this is already going to happen, the dollar is going to shit sooner or later. Globalism doesn't have a long term viability anyways, it is only sustained by unlimited growth. Its perpetuation up to this point has been supported by taking things under the guise of 'spreading democracy'.
    If true, why are u out in such a hurry to give it all away?
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,873 Standard Supporter
    Gwad said:

And people say Millennials are entitled. Can you believe it? It's such an unfair stereotype.

Ya Millenials were only raised by knuckle dragging baby boomers, i mean c'mon cut em some slack.
    And Millennials love to scapegoat and blame everyone else for their failings. Just like you did here. Classic. Perfection.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    Gwad said:

Can I get an IP address check on @collegedoog and this cat?

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    Gwad said:

Can I get an IP address check on @collegedoog and this cat?

• oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited September 2017
    UBI may become necessary in the future as Amazon and big tech destroy more jobs. Increased automation coupled with an increase in population is a potential formula for disaster and social upheaval on a scale we've never seen before. On top of that we continue to take in hundreds of thousands of immigrants who take hundreds of thousands of jobs away from people already living here. End ALL immigration except for the most prized catches, like rocket scientists.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    Gwad said:

The only good sentence you've poasted so far. Now DIE.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    Gwad said:

What do you expect?

They didn't have the INTERNET!!!!!
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    edited September 2017
    AZDuck said:

Okay, bored.

You know who massively expanded our very stripped down version of UBI?

Saint Ronald of Reagan.

It's called the "Earned Income Tax Credit."

Thanks Hondo!!!!

I guess you weren't so bored as to actually read the thread.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

Gwad said:

And Millennials love to scapegoat and blame everyone else for their failings. Just like you did here. Classic. Perfection.
    J?

Gwad said:

I agree at some point you have to take ownership of your learned behavior and change course. The generational marginalization antics of the baby boomers vs. millenials is just ironic as fuck as we are so closely connected.
    doogie said:

Gwad said:

salemcoog said:

Gwad said:

If true, why are u out in such a hurry to give it all away?
    Let the monopoly money flow! I just want my brothas and sistas to pass GO!!

Gwad said:

The only good sentence you've poasted so far. Now DIE.
    Judging by your earlier post filled with low self esteem, you have just pretended to comprehend and are now highlighting the only thing you did understand.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Wait, conservatives love trickle down economics, but when the process is sped up they don't like it?

Sharing the wealth is bad?

One of our manpower audit teams just finished an audit on why it is so hard to fill positions. Essentially you have people with no skills and it doesn't matter how great of a work ethic they have or how quick of a learner they are because they will never get an interview.

Then you have people with skills and they use you as a resume bullet and a way to get a pay raise in five years.

There is currently a massive number of jobs in the US that stay unfilled because they require skills and the government and private industry isn't interested in sinking the cost of training into someone that is going to leave in five years.

GBI would get more people off the couch because it would make a shit job less shitty and it would afford skilled labor positions to be filled because the pay could be less and offset the sunk cost of training.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club
    Mosster47 said:

Wait, conservatives love trickle down economics, but when the process is sped up they don't like it?

Sharing the wealth is bad?

One of our manpower audit teams just finished an audit on why it is so hard to fill positions. Essentially you have people with no skills and it doesn't matter how great of a work ethic they have or how quick of a learner they are because they will never get an interview.

Then you have people with skills and they use you as a resume bullet and a way to get a pay raise in five years.

There is currently a massive number of jobs in the US that stay unfilled because they require skills and the government and private industry isn't interested in sinking the cost of training into someone that is going to leave in five years.

GBI would get more people off the couch because it would make a shit job less shitty and it would afford skilled labor positions to be filled because the pay could be less and offset the sunk cost of training.