Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mariners Baby!

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam

Lewis has performed for long enough that it’s more than potential. He’s legit if he can ever stay healthy.

Winker will hit .250 or so. .300 is a bit stretch.

I agree we haven’t even seen Julio’s best stretch. A 10 HR month is coming.

The Mariners still are irrelevant and won’t sniff the playoffs.

A stretch? A guy who hasn't hit as poorly as .250 ever? You're basing what he will do off of a small sample, as you tend to do. One or two good games and he's over .250 right now. You saying a guy who has never hit that poorly can't sustain it because he's had a slow start?
  • FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member Posts: 1,483

chuck said:

Lewis has performed for long enough that it’s more than potential. He’s legit if he can ever stay healthy.

A stretch? A guy who hasn't hit as poorly as .250 ever? You're basing what he will do off of a small sample, as you tend to do. One or two good games and he's over .250 right now. You saying a guy who has never hit that poorly can't sustain it because he's had a slow start?
    Career .277 hitter. Hit .305 last year. .255 and .269 the two years before. He’s hitting .226 right now. Half the season is over. It’s been three months, not one. It’s not a small sample size. It will take a lot more than two good games to get him to .250.
    Ran the numbers because I was curious. Winker needs to bat .305 over his next 120 plate appearances to be at a .250 average after 400 ABs. Of course he could rip the cover off the ball and bat .400 but he’d need to go something like 15 for his next 15 ABs to get to .250 in “a couple of games”.

I do agree it’s fair to expect more and I think we’re starting to see it.

How good is Julio, holy shit.
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,945 Founders Club
    Mariners are again must watch baseball. Julio Rodriguez, holy shit!
    He’s so incredibly fun to watch, easy to see a very, very successful career. Basically does it all. 40/40 on the table in the next 3-4 years.

chuck said:

Career .277 hitter. Hit .305 last year. .255 and .269 the two years before. He’s hitting .226 right now. Half the season is over. It’s been three months, not one. It’s not a small sample size. It will take a lot more than two good games to get him to .250.
    Well, I thought he had gotten over .240 before a couple of hitless games (wrong) and he actually has more ABs than I thought. So I was wrong. Not the first time.

Still, one would expect, and the signs point to it, that Winker will hit better going forward than he has this season to date, probably a lot better.

chuck said:

Ran the numbers because I was curious. Winker needs to bat .305 over his next 120 plate appearances to be at a .250 average after 400 ABs. Of course he could rip the cover off the ball and bat .400 but he’d need to go something like 15 for his next 15 ABs to get to .250 in “a couple of games”.

I'm not trying to be a statistician out here.

For real I made a dumb, uninformed comment, but it wasn't from left field. Winker had a good stretch, and I think I did see him over .240 during one of those games where he was 2-2 starting out. He then went 0fer a few games.

Him, Frazier and Kelenic have been the main letdowns. Kelenic only needed to improve a bit in terms of BA and getting on base to help the team, but went backwards instead. Frazier, without hitting over .300, brings very little to the table and I don't see that changing much. The odds will play out eventually for Winker though. He's a good hitter and will be a key to the playoff run the Ms are going to go on.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,204
    Shockingly, they're about to be only 1 game below .500 and are currently 4 back in the wildcard.
    chuck said:

chuck said:

For real I made a dumb, uninformed comment, but it wasn't from left field. Winker had a good stretch, and I think I did see him over .240 during one of those games where he was 2-2 starting out. He then went 0fer a few games.

Him, Frazier and Kelenic have been the main letdowns. Kelenic only needed to improve a bit in terms of BA and getting on base to help the team, but went backwards instead. Frazier, without hitting over .300, brings very little to the table and I don't see that changing much. The odds will play out eventually for Winker though. He's a good hitter and will be a key to the playoff run the Ms are going to go on.

I agree and wasn’t trying to come across as a dick, if I did. Long story short, Winker isn’t far from a hot stretch putting his average in a more respectable territory. He was just starting to turn the corner Pre-fight, I think it’ll continue. Lot of ifs but feels like they are clicking for the first time as a group and more help should be on the way in Haniger and France.

chuck said:

chuck said:

I agree and wasn’t trying to come across as a dick, if I did. Long story short, Winker isn’t far from a hot stretch putting his average in a more respectable territory. He was just starting to turn the corner Pre-fight, I think it’ll continue. Lot of ifs but feels like they are clicking for the first time as a group and more help should be on the way in Haniger and France.
    Don't be mean to me you dick!

Actually I played with some numbers myself after I saw your post and was impressed with how far off I was.

Yeah it's always a bunch of "ifs" with the Mariners. I like the ifs better this year than I have in many years though. Fully healthy and out of early season slumps, they can compete with anyone and the hole they're in isn't really that deep st all.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,391
    For me, it is why baseball is so great, and so different than the other sports. It is all about being in position when the time is right...A rough April or May is forgotten if you are there September 1. I said earlier that everybody wins 60, everybody loses 60...It is a 42 game season.

They started out spotty, went in the tank, and are getting through it without 3 big bats they were counting on. Max out the peaks, minimize the dips from here on out, and they will be in the mix come September. Great starting pitching is a must, so they gotta stay healthy. They are giving the hitters a chance to win, which is #1 on the job description...

Crawford is looking hitter-ish again, unlike the last few weeks, they are getting good play right now from some unlikely guys (Moore, Haggerty), Raleigh starting to figure it out...there is a lot to like right now. I thought of this during the game...I think there is a chance, when people get healthy, and they can stay healthy, we may not see Kelenic back is Seattle this season.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,641 Founders Club
    In 95 the Yankees had a losing record for the season as late as August then closed 25 and 5 or something

The Ms were magically double digit games behind in August

Then they gave us a hell of a series

The Braves and Indians were good all season and played in the World Series

I used to love baseball. The 78 Yankees were another legendary come back

In 95 the Yankees had a losing record for the season as late as August then closed 25 and 5 or something

The Ms were magically double digit games behind in August

Then they gave us a hell of a series

The Braves and Indians were good all season and played in the World Series

I used to love baseball. The 78 Yankees were another legendary come back

Bucky Fucking Dent...
    https://www.si.com/mlb/mariners/front-office/analysis-mariners-solution-to-second-base-could-be-in-baltimore

Toro's bat woke back up and he has potential at 2nd I think. I also think hes much better as a lefty, but it seems like hes been better right handed of late too. Short of adding someone really good, him and Moore could be an adequate platoon, I think.

What do you do with Frazier though?
    chuck said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/mariners/front-office/analysis-mariners-solution-to-second-base-could-be-in-baltimore

Toro's bat woke back up and he has potential at 2nd I think. I also think hes much better as a lefty, but it seems like hes been better right handed of late too. Short of adding someone really good, him and Moore could be an adequate platoon, I think.

He goes into the Moore role…utility/fill in guy, with limited at-bats.
    Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

Guess that's the only option, but man he's an expensive utility guy.
    chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

Guess that's the only option, but man he's an expensive utility guy.
    Either that or try to trade him for another underperformer with a similar (bad) contract…maybe Dip can find a backup catcher for him…
    It is always about the "Ifs"...I just scratched out a couple of line-ups with Hangier (9) and KLew (DH), France at 2B, Winker in the 9 hole...that is a pretty deep line-up.

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Don't be mean to me you dick!

Actually I played with some numbers myself after I saw your post and was impressed with how far off I was.

Yeah it's always a bunch of "ifs" with the Mariners. I like the ifs better this year than I have in many years though. Fully healthy and out of early season slumps, they can compete with anyone and the hole they're in isn't really that deep st all.
    Nobody on this board seems to be a Tequilla or Cockus and gets upset about some message board differences of opinion. Winker is a good hitter and will very likely hit much better the rest of the way.

You have been optimistic on the M’s and it’s looking like you are on it, although there is a long way to go. They are playing well, the starting pitching is good, the bats have heated up, and the bullpen, while still a little sketchy, has been pitching much better. It helps when not every situation is high leverage and they get some success and momentum with a couple run lead.
    It's hard to even picture the whole roster intact the way I expected it to look since they haven't had all pieces healthy together yet. I've been assuming thats going to take place at some point and all my optimism is based off of them staying close until then.

It remains to be seen whether that will ever happen and for how long.