Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Reply from Cohen

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,871 Swaye's Wigwam

This bullshit is not the Pac 12's fault. I hate Larry Scott the most but this is UWs fault 100%. If they gave half a fuck about football the team would have been ready. I hate the quacks but they are ready to play football and they give a shit about football. UW doesn't not care about football.

How is it not Pac 12 rules governed by West Coast Politics? UW didn’t get the crud until it did. What were they doing right earlier in the season that suddenly changed? Who’s to say OR or USC aren’t next in line for crud?

It possible we are going to have plenty to bash Jenn and Jimmy on in 2021. This is not one of those things. Keep your powder dry fellas.
    I agree. I am so many thousands times more angry about the product on the field than any of this shit that I'm just having a hard time really giving a shit about it. I have serious doubts that anybody from Cohen down voluntarily skipped the game.
    Exactly. This narrative that we somehow we had an opportunity to play but willingly pussed out is such poppy cock bull shit.

The Pac 12 is soft, lock down country USA. That ain’t UW’s fault. The season was set up for failure the moment the conference gave up in August.
    Nobody is saying UW backed out of anything but how hard did we push the conference and local government officials to get to play?

Jimmy is now saying he wanted to start in August and get the games in before flu season. Great but I didn’t hear a peep from him or Jen in August when the PAC was deciding to cancel the season.

Presumably in March he will tell us that a 14 day quarantine is completely unnecessary in any situation let alone when you are doing daily testing with rapid results and have no symptomatic cases and that they could have played without that strict quarantine in place or if the conference moved the game back.

Didn’t hear any pressure being applied in the press or via back channels to make either Oregon or ccg happen.

UW should be barnstorming to go play Cincinnati if the pac won’t let them play. Make king county say no to one of its biggest employers/revenue generators/cultural symbols. These bureaucrats have granted concessions or backed down to every significant business that doesn’t want to follow the rules.
    UW is not the Ohio State of the Pac no matter what the Groz says. We? weren’t gonna bully the state of CA into playing football in August
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,937

Beno4Life said:

MakaDawg said:

Gladstone said:

If you're comfortable, please post the entirety of the letter minus any personal info about you if there's any.

I'm really curious about this because it's a pretty big deal.

In Part.

Axed out the first paragraph because she likes to use my first name.
    I remember it being longer. Probably because it was so painful to read.
    Damn. You got “bud’d” by a chick, no less. That and “with all due respect” are kicks to the nuts.

But I feel Jen here. She must be fucking miserable after having to lay off like 20 people, plan every logistical and financial scenario re: COVID, and then has us irrational DOOGS telling her they should have played Devin Culp and Mark Redman as bookend tackles against USC in the title game to make up for the loss of the rest of the OL.
    I don’t think the gender of the author makes the use of “bud” any less or more insulting, but YMMV.
    Take it to the Tug chicko!!!
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    RoadTrip said:

Thanks for sharing.

Total disconnect from the AD on all fronts... They are not going to lift a finger unless there's a huge drop-off in doogs buying season tickets and merchandise. They are very much business-minded about the whole thing and just living in the moment. They don't even treat Oregon like a rival, as they have emotionally detached themselves from that concept. They've enjoyed the doogdom that lives within many of our fans, because of the success in the 80's and early 90's. That won't last long as old doogs will eventually die off or they'll get jaded and walk away (which is what happened to me). There's only so much of mediocre play and losing to the same teams (Cal, Stanford, & Oregon) in the same stupid fashion a fan can take. It's obvious that the AD doesn't hold the coaches accountable.

The UW AD surrendered a long time ago. Years ago, on doogman, there was discussion of the Marinerization of Husky football. Well, the process is complete. Competing for championships is hard and it also raises expectations. Why bother with that. It's hard! As long as your fanbase keeps spending their money on tickets, replica jerseys, and donations, all is well. Just enough revenue to keep things running.

Quite honestly, I have many other things I can spend my money on and they are all a hell of a lot more fun than Husky football. Detaching myself from this program has also been good for my psyche.

Fuck this team, fuck the AD, fuck the upper campus, fuck Seattle, and fuck King County. We'll never have the type of championship caliber football team that we expect with the clownshow "leadership" on all levels.

Sounds like the mid 2000s all over again.
    Some of us? were still dooging back then and had hope that if Tawd and Ty were gone, the ship could be turned around. But it's painfully obvious now that no amount of replacing of ADs and coaches is going to make a difference. The UW will keep hiring the same type of people; people who are more concerned about sustainability and PR. This is not conducive to hiring a coach who is an actual winner... or recruiting players who are not necessarily here to play school.

The AD will keep doing the same dumbass things year in and year out. I don't even think they expect better results. Just win enough games to keep an adequate number of butts in the seats. They can always brag about player GPAs and graduation rates. That's great, but it would be even better if you were actually winning meaningful games and bowls.
    I think this is spot on. Urban Meyer could decide he wants to coach the Huskies and bring every blue chip recruit west of the Mississippi to Montlake and our? program would still succumb to the same behavior after a brief period of success. The last vestiges of the national title-or-bust mentality is slowly getting bred out of the University and the conference. Until that rot is cut out at the root, we? best get used to the new world order.

Again, that might be fine for some people in the fan base, but it’s not OK for me.
    Sorry DDJ that ain't ever happenin at UW again. Universities are hedge funds for givrrnment loving leebrils
    I’m well aware. It’s unfortunate that so many people see athletics as the enemy when they in fact not only enrich the university, but have the ability to create bigger societal change...far more I’d argue than any of the protests going on right now.

But that’s a separate talk for a another thread. 🙂
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,350 Founders Club

Swaye said:

I said this to a few of you months ago:

The same shit is happening everywhere, but when people aren't actually sick it gets swept under the rug...in programs and conferences that care about football.

If you're telling me our OL is in the hospital? JFC, obviously no game. But if it's being asymptomatic, and contract tracing is fuckin your team...real football schools know how to take care of it.

...that just isn't UW. In retrospect, it's a big part of why I haven't dooged in more than a decade. I've seen this before, and I ain't impressed by anything they've done.

PS - Jen, you got that Michigan game rescheduled yet...? Yeah, thought so.

This is exactly where I come down. Covid has thrown a wrench in everyones' plans. Nobody has a blueprint for this.

But the nimble organizations, the ones that know how to hit the curveball are thriving while the flat-footed ones are crying about the circumstances.

Can't get recruits on campus and show off the program in person? Not ideal. But those teenage shits have to sign somewhere and apparently we couldn't throw together enough of a virtual sell-job to cling to the greatest class in WA history. Massive failure.

Covid tracing procedures made you ineligible to play? Well shit. You had two months of knowing exactly what the conference's insane restrictions were and you have a multi-million dollar organization at your disposal with millions on the line. Figure it out. Fake the tests. Fudge the tracing. Publicly lobby the conference to delay the game. Fuck if I know. I'm not the one making seven figures to come up with solutions to these high stakes problems.

Jimmy and Jen were caught flat-footed in a situation that required them to be nimble. 2020 has been a historical squandering.
    This is a great post.
    Yes it is great. And even if Jen and Co didn't want to fudge numbers and lie, they should have publicly lobbied to delay the game another week. Instead we roll over.
    You and @Doogles should poodcast about this.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 19,861 Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

The same shit is happening everywhere, but when people aren't actually sick it gets swept under the rug...in programs and conferences that care about football.

If you're telling me our OL is in the hospital? JFC, obviously no game. But if it's being asymptomatic, and contract tracing is fuckin your team...real football schools know how to take care of it.

...that just isn't UW. In retrospect, it's a big part of why I haven't dooged in more than a decade. I've seen this before, and I ain't impressed by anything they've done.

This is exactly where I come down. Covid has thrown a wrench in everyones' plans. Nobody has a blueprint for this.

But the nimble organizations, the ones that know how to hit the curveball are thriving while the flat-footed ones are crying about the circumstances.

Can't get recruits on campus and show off the program in person? Not ideal. But those teenage shits have to sign somewhere and apparently we couldn't throw together enough of a virtual sell-job to cling to the greatest class in WA history. Massive failure.

Covid tracing procedures made you ineligible to play? Well shit. You had two months of knowing exactly what the conference's insane restrictions were and you have a multi-million dollar organization at your disposal with millions on the line. Figure it out. Fake the tests. Fudge the tracing. Publicly lobby the conference to delay the game. Fuck if I know. I'm not the one making seven figures to come up with solutions to these high stakes problems.

Jimmy and Jen were caught flat-footed in a situation that required them to be nimble. 2020 has been a historical squandering.
    This is a great post.
    Yes it is great. And even if Jen and Co didn't want to fudge numbers and lie, they should have publicly lobbied to delay the game another week. Instead we roll over.
    Yes, I've already composed the text to him about podding and am waiting to send it off around 7am (so I don't wake him up). Possible episode titles include "Husky Fans, This Bud's for You"
    If a text message wakes him up, that's his fault. 💯

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,871 Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

This is a great post.
    Yes, I've already composed the text to him about podding and am waiting to send it off around 7am (so I don't wake him up). Possible episode titles include "Husky Fans, This Bud's for You"
    Just wait till Jenn starts calling us "Pod".