Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kill me now

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,315
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2020

lawsandl said:

q

The possible saving grace will be the season (if it happens). We have the horses to win the pac 12. With the guys we have returning and the quality of the guys replacing last years starters there is absolutely no excuse for not winning the pac 12. If Jimmy is up to the job, we will absolutely FUCK in recruiting down the stretch. If we go 8-5 or something, we will likely have the 4th best class in the north (closer to OSU and WSU than to the top 3) and you might as well fire the whole staff and start over cuz it'll be all downhill from there.

This is doogy as fuck. We don’t even know if we have a quarterback, and there’s no spring ball this year. That is not a recipe for any kind of championship outside of the sustainability natty.
    How is it dooging to say that with the talent we've acquired over the last 4 years, theres no excuse for not winning the pac 12? That's literally the opposite of dooging. Fuck the "we dont know if we have a qb" narrative. You have 3 4* recruits. Get one of them to play at a high level! Nobody else had spring ball so why should we fold the cards and say, "well theres no hope this year. I guess we might be better next year when we have spring ball and a new freshman qb."
    Saying UW has as good of shot as any other team is different than saying there’s no excuses. There’s not one reason to put UW as a front runner. That includes talent acquisition over the last 4 years.
    Who has vastly better returning talent than us? I dont think we are returning amazing talent, but the rest of the PAC is dreck as well. Cal returns their QB but they lose all their studs on defense and have not recruited well in the last few years. Oregon is in the exact same spot as us QB-wise and has to replace 4/5 of their o line. ASU loses their 2 biggest offensive weapons. USC has Helton. Again, if Jimmy is the guy, He should win with THIS group in THIS conference.

Our DL and DB groups should be at the top of the conference with who we have returning. Otten should be one of the best TEs. Our WR group should be VASTLY upgraded compared to last year. If those things dont happen, then Jimmy is not the right coach. If they do happen, we win the conference.
    You're selling us short. We're not dreck. We whined for millenia about achieving that elusive 50% blue chip ratio and guess what? We're fucking there. We're beyond it. We have talent EVERYWHERE. Now I don't know about y'all, but I expect Jimmy to use that talent to roll the fuck out of people. The defense is fucking locked and loaded and could be the best we've seen. I'm seeing predictions of "likely 7-6" in here. Fucking Christ. What happened to these poor people?
    Last season happened to us poor people. Because you could have said (and I DID say) the same thing a year ago, then 8-5. I am firmly in the camp that, top to bottom, Washington will have the most talented roster in the conference. But then mix in (in order of importance) first time quarterback, first time--defensive minded--head coach, first time in a long time OC (I'm being nice), new--COMPLETELY DIFFERENT*--offense, lack of time to mitigate all of the above. To some extent, I could see this season being a real random number generator, with the programs with the most continuity benefiting greatly regardless of talent. USC's residual talent (from before the last one or two recruiting class disasters) and staff continuity (shitty at the top or not) might pay dividends. Stanford's returning quarterback, coaching staff, and an offense that hasn't changed in a decade could be huge for them regardless of a shaky on paper defense. Cal lost a lot, but their staff is in tact and their quarterback is a returning senior.

They're talking six weeks to prepare, and the new OC still hasn't seen a single quarterback throw live in mid-May. Teams with new quarterbacks will suffer. Teams with new coaching staffs will suffer. Teams with both are fucked.

It is possible that the Huskies having no excuse for not winning the conference and the Huskies likely barrelling toward another 7 or 8 win season are both true.

*One can doog.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Troy’s recruiting for Oregon already.

So there’s that.

Is he in the Oregon group chat?
    Savage
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,235
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

lawsandl said:

q

The possible saving grace will be the season (if it happens). We have the horses to win the pac 12. With the guys we have returning and the quality of the guys replacing last years starters there is absolutely no excuse for not winning the pac 12. If Jimmy is up to the job, we will absolutely FUCK in recruiting down the stretch. If we go 8-5 or something, we will likely have the 4th best class in the north (closer to OSU and WSU than to the top 3) and you might as well fire the whole staff and start over cuz it'll be all downhill from there.

This is doogy as fuck. We don’t even know if we have a quarterback, and there’s no spring ball this year. That is not a recipe for any kind of championship outside of the sustainability natty.
    How is it dooging to say that with the talent we've acquired over the last 4 years, theres no excuse for not winning the pac 12? That's literally the opposite of dooging. Fuck the "we dont know if we have a qb" narrative. You have 3 4* recruits. Get one of them to play at a high level! Nobody else had spring ball so why should we fold the cards and say, "well theres no hope this year. I guess we might be better next year when we have spring ball and a new freshman qb."
    Saying UW has as good of shot as any other team is different than saying there’s no excuses. There’s not one reason to put UW as a front runner. That includes talent acquisition over the last 4 years.
    Who has vastly better returning talent than us? I dont think we are returning amazing talent, but the rest of the PAC is dreck as well. Cal returns their QB but they lose all their studs on defense and have not recruited well in the last few years. Oregon is in the exact same spot as us QB-wise and has to replace 4/5 of their o line. ASU loses their 2 biggest offensive weapons. USC has Helton. Again, if Jimmy is the guy, He should win with THIS group in THIS conference.

Our DL and DB groups should be at the top of the conference with who we have returning. Otten should be one of the best TEs. Our WR group should be VASTLY upgraded compared to last year. If those things dont happen, then Jimmy is not the right coach. If they do happen, we win the conference.
    You're selling us short. We're not dreck. We whined for millenia about achieving that elusive 50% blue chip ratio and guess what? We're fucking there. We're beyond it. We have talent EVERYWHERE. Now I don't know about y'all, but I expect Jimmy to use that talent to roll the fuck out of people. The defense is fucking locked and loaded and could be the best we've seen. I'm seeing predictions of "likely 7-6" in here. Fucking Christ. What happened to these poor people?
    Last season happened to us poor people. Because you could have said (and I DID say) the same thing a year ago, then 8-5. I am firmly in the camp that, top to bottom, Washington will have the most talented roster in the conference. But then mix in (in order of importance) first time quarterback, first time--defensive minded--head coach, first time in a long time OC (I'm being nice), new--COMPLETELY DIFFERENT*--offense, lack of time to mitigate all of the above. To some extent, I could see this season being a real random number generator, with the programs with the most continuity benefiting greatly regardless of talent. USC's residual talent (from before the last one or two recruiting class disasters) and staff continuity (shitty at the top or not) might pay dividends. Stanford's returning quarterback, coaching staff, and an offense that hasn't changed in a decade could be huge for them regardless of a shaky on paper defense. Cal lost a lot, but their staff is in tact and their quarterback is a returning senior.

They're talking six weeks to prepare, and the new OC still hasn't seen a single quarterback throw live in mid-May. Teams with new quarterbacks will suffer. Teams with new coaching staffs will suffer. Teams with both are fucked.

It is possible that the Huskies having no excuse for not winning the conference and the Huskies likely barrelling toward another 7 or 8 win season are both true.

*One can doog.
    All fair points. However, the on-field talent (according to recruiting rankings) will be substantially higher this year relative to last. And an equal jump will again happen in 2021. I'm referencing that post from way back. Wish I could find it.

I expect 10-3 minimum. But yeah, I'm an eternal optimist, admittedly. Still, I think 10 wins is more likely than 7.
  • Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    If Jimmy winds 10 games this year, his pathetic offseason will be forgiven.
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    edited May 2020

lawsandl said:

q

The front seven last year was vulnerable. The qb play was inconsistent. If you think addition by subtraction makes you better because “blue chip” talent, you might reconsider expectations. The cream should have risen to the top at linebacker last year and it didn’t.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2020
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

q

The front seven last year was vulnerable. The qb play was inconsistent. If you think addition by subtraction makes you better because “blue chip” talent, you might reconsider expectations. The cream should have risen to the top at linebacker last year and it didn’t.
    My boy Ulofoshio did.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

q

There was no cream at LB.

You havent spent enough time watching specific UW players, experienced or otherwise, to write intelligently about expectations for this year. Dont be a simpleton flame like that pompous moron mooster.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,945
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

If Jimmy winds 10 games this year, his pathetic offseason will be forgiven.

And we’ll all be giving each other buttery reach arounds at the truck stop.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2020

lawsandl said:

q

You bring up some good points BUT I think you forget sometimes this is HCH and not doogman.

The sky is always falling here until it isn’t. Right now, it continues to fall which each missed commit and each hat on the table elimination.
    Not saying we're playoff material yet, but the 7 win predictions are just downright irrational. There's a lot to like with this squad. People forget that.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    Sirmon and MJ shouldn't have seen that much time as RSFR. I think they will be much better in the coming years. They were required to play too early. I expect LB position to much better this year.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Only reason Ulofoshio didn’t start was recruiting rankings. I’m being serious too. A guy like him, coaches look for what’s wrong. There is no way Sirmon was even close to as good in practice because he sure as hell wasnt close in every game they played in.

Maybe he fucked up a couple times in practice. All I know is he should have been playing a lot sooner.

Goes back to the discussion on the inherent bias that exists when kids are ranked 5 stars after their high school freshman seasons. Coaches are typically much better than recruiting “experts” but not immune to it
  • Options
    chuck said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

q

You havent spent enough time watching specific UW players, experienced or otherwise, to write intelligently about expectations for this year. Dont be a simpleton flame like that pompous moron mooster.
    You made my point. There was no cream at LB. I watched every UW game. I can opine just as much as everyone here.

UW has a tough row to hoe next season to win the conference. I have much more faith in the qb play at Oregon. There are less holes to fill on defense. The schedule sets up well for Oregon.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2020
    lawsandl said:

chuck said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

q

You made my point. There was no cream at LB. I watched every UW game. I can opine just as much as everyone here.

UW has a tough row to hoe next season to win the conference. I have much more faith in the qb play at Oregon. There are less holes to fill in defense. The schedule sets up well for Oregon.
    Quook
  • Options
    dnc said:

lawsandl said:

chuck said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

q

UW has a tough row to hoe next season to win the conference. I have much more faith in the qb play at Oregon. There are less holes to fill in defense. The schedule sets up well for Oregon.
    Quook
    Where are the holes on defense? Also, Shough has looked good in limited play and we have a senior qb that’s played a bunch. Oregon has a higher floor than UW. If you think otherwise, explain why.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    lawsandl said:

dnc said:

lawsandl said:

chuck said:

lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

q

Quook
    Where are the holes on defense? Also, Shough has looked good in limited play and we have a senior qb that’s played a bunch. Oregon has a higher floor than UW. If you think otherwise, explain why.
    You have no reason to have more faith in Oregon QB's. Neither of us have any reason to have any faith in our QB's.

I didn't say anything about Oregon having holes to fill on defense. Neither defense has holes to fill.