Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Race Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
edited December 2013 in Tug Tavern
Might as well create one of these as I don't want to hijack other threads on the main board.

PostGameOrangeSlices wrote:

Your lack of real-world experience is telling. If you think institutionalized racism still exists to the point that it debilitates the black community from progressing, I can't help you.

First I want to clarify I never said it prohibits the black community from progressing. You falsely represented my argument. It is a factor, however.

Institutionalized racism is quite apparent in 2013.

There's the repeal of the Voting Rights act of 1965 that establishes federal election monitors for southern states with a history of voting discrimination based on race.

Other states are trying to pass voter ID laws that disproportionally effect minorities. They justify it under the guise of stopping voter fraud, even though the last serious case of voter fraud was when every dead person in Ohio voted Kennedy. The lawmakers are fully aware of this, yet continue to push these restrictions. If that's not institutionalized racism, I don't know what is.

The George Zimmerman trial is a lightning rod in itself, but let's ignore that and instead focus on the reaction by whites. The news media was literally on the edge of its seat waiting for riots to break out after the verdict was announced. Why? Because many white people feel a need to be vindicated; to be proven right that blacks are somehow less civilized. Instead there were marches for justice, and many were disappointed. It was truly shameful watching this transpire over the summer.

Police discrimination is another example of institutionalized racism. The Seattle PD had to be sued by the Justice Department for Civil Rights violations because the use of force against minorities was so appalling. In New York City "stop and frisk" policies disproportionally target blacks. New Orleans PD went through their own Civil Rights fiasco not that long ago. How about LAPD? "Fuck the Police".

And when black leaders bring up these issues they are so often shouted down because they "just can't have enough". Well what the fuck? Who gets to define what "enough" is? White people? Asking for your rights to not be violated is too much? This is the inherent problem with so much of white America.

And for me, to have my opinions discredited because I "lack real world experience" is highly ironic coming from salty old white men who, just like me, never had to face racism in their lives. What makes you more qualified to talk about race? If you want to have a conversation on race, you can't pick and choose who gets to have that conversation.

So maybe this thread can be a place to have that conversation; not having ones opinions dismissed because of who they are.

Wouldn't that be refreshing.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2013

TL,DR

STFU Already.

And I did read a little. Expecting people to show ID before voting is racist? WTF? I say telling a whole group of people they just aren't capable of getting a god damn picture ID is racist. Is showing an ID to buy alcohol in a black neighborhood racist? Or showing an ID to cash a check. Or fucking drive?

Most of your opinions are just that, opinions but into your head by professors who make a living off this shit. Neither of you have real world experience.

Yes, some people are racists. 98% of blacks voting for Obama seems racial based, don't you think? But to say a white society is keeping the black man down in order to feel vindicated is a lie. I've been working 40 years with professionals of all races. Never once have a saw anything that would remotely be considered racist. True capitalism is probably the least racist system you can conceive.

Individuals are the smallest minority. Think about it.

How come voter ID was never a problem until recently, when minorities started voting heavily for one party? How come voter ID laws are being pushed by Republicans? Voting is intrinsically different than buying alcohol or cashing a check, it's a fucking civil liberty that blacks had to fight hundreds of years for. And now it's ok to take measures that infringe on that? I can't believe you even wrote that.

Only a small minded person thinks someone is a product of what their professors tell them. Watching the news media shit all over itself trying to fan the racial flames this summer isn't something a professor told me. In fact, my favorite professor is Murray Dry who is a strict constitutionalist that doesn't believe in affirmative action, compiled the "anti-federalist" papers by Brutus, but he's one of the smartest people I've ever encountered. So don't paint me as a sheep spewing the liberal gospel. Most of my views on race were developed at a high school with 50% minorities and 40% of the students on financial aid. Real world experience isn't restricted to how you define it.

True capitalism is the least racist system only in a color blind society. We are not color blind. The constitution is not color blind. I find it hard to believe that you've never encountered anything racist over your career. You're either lying or willfully ignorant. Even the most successful African Americans have anecdotes of facing racism. You seem to be operating in a bubble.

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2013
    edit: my mistake read it wrong I still am not 100% after a coke binge.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,429
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And you wondered why I said you voted for the wrong guy? Seriously dude, that is warmed up hash that went rancid a long time ago

How does any of that effect Little Jameis LaCornell in his efforts to get a job and make it in the word?

Obama fanned the flames of racial resentment on the Zimmerman thing, not the media.

You aren't color blind. Don't blame others for your obsession

• Options
    How was it irresponsible for Obama to bring up skin color? It was fucking relevant.

Then you have white columnists writing shit like this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/kathleen-parker-obamas-race-remarks-exacerbate-tensions/2013/08/23/7491bb2e-0c1f-11e3-9941-6711ed662e71_story.html?tid=pm_opinions_pop

or this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/richard-cohen-racism-vs-reality/2013/07/15/4f419eb6-ed7a-11e2-a1f9-ea873b7e0424_story.html?hpid=z2

How is it ok for a narrative to be shifted so that racially profiling black teenagers is justified?

Obama didn't do that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How come Obama's sons wouldn't look like all the black kids who get shot by black kids daily? Why did he jump on this case? Why did Zimmerman go from white to white hispanic?

Obama deserved to get ripped. The prosecutor didn't file charges because there was no case as was proven after Obama tried to lynch the dude and they were forced to do a show trial

If you are out in the dark and a back kids starts bashing your head then you can tell me about racial profiling.

For fucks sake - just put a fucking cork in it
  • Options
    The fact that he was being followed because he was a black teenager wearing a hoodie and looked suspicious is the real story, not that he referred to Zimmerman as a "crazy-ass cracker". The narrative shouldn't be shifted.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2013

TL,DR

STFU Already.

And I did read a little. Expecting people to show ID before voting is racist? WTF? I say telling a whole group of people they just aren't capable of getting a god damn picture ID is racist. Is showing an ID to buy alcohol in a black neighborhood racist? Or showing an ID to cash a check. Or fucking drive?

Most of your opinions are just that, opinions but into your head by professors who make a living off this shit. Neither of you have real world experience.

Yes, some people are racists. 98% of blacks voting for Obama seems racial based, don't you think? But to say a white society is keeping the black man down in order to feel vindicated is a lie. I've been working 40 years with professionals of all races. Never once have a saw anything that would remotely be considered racist. True capitalism is probably the least racist system you can conceive.

How come voter ID was never a problem until recently, when minorities started voting heavily for one party? How come voter ID laws are being pushed by Republicans? Voting is intrinsically different than buying alcohol or cashing a check, it's a fucking civil liberty that blacks had to fight hundreds of years for. And now it's ok to take measures that infringe on that? I can't believe you even wrote that.

Only a small minded person thinks someone is a product of what their professors tell them. Watching the news media shit all over itself trying to fan the racial flames this summer isn't something a professor told me. In fact, my favorite professor is Murray Dry who is a strict constitutionalist that doesn't believe in affirmative action, compiled the "anti-federalist" papers by Brutus, but he's one of the smartest people I've ever encountered. So don't paint me as a sheep spewing the liberal gospel. Most of my views on race were developed at a high school with 50% minorities and 40% of the students on financial aid. Real world experience isn't restricted to how you define it.

True capitalism is the least racist system only in a color blind society. We are not color blind. The constitution is not color blind. I find it hard to believe that you've never encountered anything racist over your career. You're either lying or willfully ignorant. Even the most successful African Americans have anecdotes of facing racism. You seem to be operating in a bubble.

If it's not color blind, it isn't true capitalism. I have never encountered any racial issues what so ever. I had black bosses, subordinates, clients, and peers. Never been an issue. I know that might be hard for you and your professor to believe. I think my experience is more the rule than the exception.

Voter ID has always been a problem, but it becomes a crisis when people start showing up by the bus load. Explain to me again how asking everyone to show an ID before they do vote is racist? Unless you are saying black people aren't capable of procuring IDs...then who is the racist?

I will paint you as a sheep spewing statist gospel (notice I didn't liberal) as long as you continue to do so. You should learn from Dry then and oppose the tryany of the state on the individual rather suggest an entire group of people isn't capable of improving their situation by taking advantage opportunists that are afforded them. Any other position is racist in nature and perpetuates the problem.

HTH
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The fact that he was being followed because he was a black teenager wearing a hoodie and looked suspicious is the real story, not that he referred to Zimmerman as a "crazy-ass cracker". The narrative shouldn't be shifted.

He attacked Zimmerman but don't let that stop you

Trademark was suspicious

That's why we mock your lack of experience
  • Options
    edited December 2013

How come Obama's sons wouldn't look like all the black kids who get shot by black kids daily? Why did he jump on this case? Why did Zimmerman go from white to white hispanic?

Obama deserved to get ripped. The prosecutor didn't file charges because there was no case as was proven after Obama tried to lynch the dude and they were forced to do a show trial

If you are out in the dark and a back kids starts bashing your head then you can tell me about racial profiling.

I'm sorry you want me to shut up because I don't present the narrative you like.

It doesn't matter that he was white or white hispanic. The issue is Martin was profiled as a black teenager up to no good.

He made a mistake by attacking Zimmerman, but the whole situation was incited by the man who racially profiled him.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

TL,DR

STFU Already.

If it's not color blind, it isn't true capitalism. I have never encountered any racial issues what so ever. I had black bosses, subordinates, clients, and peers. Never been an issue. I know that might be hard for you and your professor to believe. I think my experience is more the rule than the exception.

Voter ID has always been a problem, but it becomes a crisis when people start showing up by the bus load. Explain to me again how asking everyone to show an ID before they do vote is racist? Unless you are saying black people aren't capable of procuring IDs...then who is the racist?

I will paint you as a sheep spewing statist gospel (notice I didn't liberal) as long as you continue to do so. You should learn from Dry then and oppose the tryany of the state on the individual rather suggest an entire group of people isn't capable of improving their situation by taking advantage opportunists that are afforded them. Any other position is racist in nature and perpetuates the problem.

HTH
    Voter ID laws are racist because of who it targets. What population is less likely to be able to produce valid IDs? Minorities and the poor. Creating an extra hurdle to vote beyond being an American citizen is, well, un-American.

Again, we don't live in a color blind society. Individuals are confronted with racial discrimination daily. What's racist in nature is expecting people to be satisfied with the opportunity presented them, even if the equality of opportunity is varied for certain races.

Of course, no one believes in equality of outcome, but a true capitalist society enjoys equality of opportunity, no?
  • Options

Ok so it's different? So in other words "yea but still"?

I don't disagree that Zimmerman shouldn't have been following him, the whole situation is a mess, but there is a shitload of stuff that the media left out when it came to this. Trayvon wasn't this innocent golden child that the media portrayed him out to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXWlquZ-e_E

*Insert "your source is X, LOL" here*

You're contributing to the problem. It doesn't matter that he wasn't a golden child. No one is a fucking golden child. Taking pictures flipping of a camera or smoking weed shouldn't make one a target for racial profiling.

The narrative that he wasn't a golden child is just a way for people to justify his death, that somehow because he was a "thug" he deserved it. It's deplorable.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Maybe the police acted stupidly?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

TL,DR

STFU Already.

HTH
    Voter ID laws are racist because of who it targets. What population is less likely to be able to produce valid IDs? Minorities and the poor. Creating an extra hurdle to vote beyond being an American citizen is, well, un-American.

Again, we don't live in a color blind society. Individuals are confronted with racial discrimination daily. What's racist in nature is expecting people to be satisfied with the opportunity presented them, even if the equality of opportunity is varied for certain races.

Of course, no one believes in equality of outcome, but a true capitalist society enjoys equality of opportunity, no?
    So you're saying blacks aren't capable doing a very basic task task that everyone else seems to be able to pull off in order to prevent voter fraud? You need to look elsewhere for the racist. Seems to me having the same rules and rights for every individual, no mater what "group" they belong to is the first step to a color/gay/ gender blind society.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It's amazing what some people think they are and what they actually are. True colors.
  • Options

TL,DR

STFU Already.

HTH

So you're saying blacks aren't capable doing a very basic task task that everyone else seems to be able to pull off in order to prevent voter fraud? You need to look elsewhere for the racist. Seems to me having the same rules and rights for every individual, no mater what "group" they belong to is the first step to a color/gay/ gender blind society.
    The problem isn't that they can't get Voter ID. They can. Some still won't. The problem is adding an extra hurdle that knowingly oppresses the vote.

Agree on part two. Having equal rights in place is a necessary step. The bad thing is they are still being enforced unequally.