Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Race Thread

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

TL,DR

STFU Already.

And I did read a little. Expecting people to show ID before voting is racist? WTF? I say telling a whole group of people they just aren't capable of getting a god damn picture ID is racist. Is showing an ID to buy alcohol in a black neighborhood racist? Or showing an ID to cash a check. Or fucking drive?

Most of your opinions are just that, opinions but into your head by professors who make a living off this shit. Neither of you have real world experience.

Yes, some people are racists. 98% of blacks voting for Obama seems racial based, don't you think? But to say a white society is keeping the black man down in order to feel vindicated is a lie. I've been working 40 years with professionals of all races. Never once have a saw anything that would remotely be considered racist. True capitalism is probably the least racist system you can conceive.

Individuals are the smallest minority. Think about it.

How come voter ID was never a problem until recently, when minorities started voting heavily for one party? How come voter ID laws are being pushed by Republicans? Voting is intrinsically different than buying alcohol or cashing a check, it's a fucking civil liberty that blacks had to fight hundreds of years for. And now it's ok to take measures that infringe on that? I can't believe you even wrote that.

Only a small minded person thinks someone is a product of what their professors tell them. Watching the news media shit all over itself trying to fan the racial flames this summer isn't something a professor told me. In fact, my favorite professor is Murray Dry who is a strict constitutionalist that doesn't believe in affirmative action, compiled the "anti-federalist" papers by Brutus, but he's one of the smartest people I've ever encountered. So don't paint me as a sheep spewing the liberal gospel. Most of my views on race were developed at a high school with 50% minorities and 40% of the students on financial aid. Real world experience isn't restricted to how you define it.

True capitalism is the least racist system only in a color blind society. We are not color blind. The constitution is not color blind. I find it hard to believe that you've never encountered anything racist over your career. You're either lying or willfully ignorant. Even the most successful African Americans have anecdotes of facing racism. You seem to be operating in a bubble.

If it's not color blind, it isn't true capitalism. I have never encountered any racial issues what so ever. I had black bosses, subordinates, clients, and peers. Never been an issue. I know that might be hard for you and your professor to believe. I think my experience is more the rule than the exception.

Voter ID has always been a problem, but it becomes a crisis when people start showing up by the bus load. Explain to me again how asking everyone to show an ID before they do vote is racist? Unless you are saying black people aren't capable of procuring IDs...then who is the racist?

I will paint you as a sheep spewing statist gospel (notice I didn't liberal) as long as you continue to do so. You should learn from Dry then and oppose the tryany of the state on the individual rather suggest an entire group of people isn't capable of improving their situation by taking advantage opportunists that are afforded them. Any other position is racist in nature and perpetuates the problem.

HTH
    I lean pretty strong to Race and Damone's side on most of this, including ID to vote, but I have to say, if you've honestly never witnessed any racial issues whatsoever, you've clearly never lived in the parts of the cuntry I've lived in.

Racism in hiring and firing (both ways) is some real shit in Memphis, right now, today.

I don't pretend to know what the solution is, and I'm with pawz that equality at the start of the day is the goal rather than at the end of the day, but it's hard for me to conceive of this world where we can deny that racism in the workplace exists. It's not the world I live in, that's for sure.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

An obscure case in Florida or a microcosm of a greater problem? The media was on to it long before Obama commented on it. There were marches before before he said anything.

Voter ID laws are unnecessary. Voting is a civil liberty, ID requirements diminish that. If someone wants to vote the requirement should be citizenship, nothing beyond that. You're lying to yourself if you truly don't see the intention of these laws.

Nice justification of racial profiling.

Another dishonest post about race in America, and a dishonest representation of my arguments in this thread.

Voting is a right of US citizens that:

1) Has to be earned. It is earned by simply turning 18 and turning in a voter registration card.

2) It also has to be maintained. When you move, you need to re-register.

Why? Many states are vote by mail now and the ones that aren't need re-registration so that you vote for the appropriate local, state and federal officials that represent you.

Why do you think that the Motor/Voter bill was passed in the 90's? Because it made it easier to kill 2 birds with one stone when you had a change of address or driver's license expiration. Back then you HAD to go in to DMV to do these things whereas now you can do voter reg and dl address changes online.

In many cities, you HAVE to possess at least a current state issued ID card to prove you're not a vagrant.

Why do we need to have voters possess ID's?

1) To prove they are citizens of this country.

2) To make sure that they are who they say they are and only vote once. Because you see both political parties have been guilty of enticing votes of the poor with Cash or a pack of cigarettes. And the motivation for someone without a pot to piss in to vote at 9 different polls on election day can be strong.

That and everyone should at least have a friggin ID. If that's too much of an expectation on someone, what if any expectations do you have of an American adult?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2013
    dnc said:

TL,DR

STFU Already.

And I did read a little. Expecting people to show ID before voting is racist? WTF? I say telling a whole group of people they just aren't capable of getting a god damn picture ID is racist. Is showing an ID to buy alcohol in a black neighborhood racist? Or showing an ID to cash a check. Or fucking drive?

Most of your opinions are just that, opinions but into your head by professors who make a living off this shit. Neither of you have real world experience.

Yes, some people are racists. 98% of blacks voting for Obama seems racial based, don't you think? But to say a white society is keeping the black man down in order to feel vindicated is a lie. I've been working 40 years with professionals of all races. Never once have a saw anything that would remotely be considered racist. True capitalism is probably the least racist system you can conceive.

How come voter ID was never a problem until recently, when minorities started voting heavily for one party? How come voter ID laws are being pushed by Republicans? Voting is intrinsically different than buying alcohol or cashing a check, it's a fucking civil liberty that blacks had to fight hundreds of years for. And now it's ok to take measures that infringe on that? I can't believe you even wrote that.

Only a small minded person thinks someone is a product of what their professors tell them. Watching the news media shit all over itself trying to fan the racial flames this summer isn't something a professor told me. In fact, my favorite professor is Murray Dry who is a strict constitutionalist that doesn't believe in affirmative action, compiled the "anti-federalist" papers by Brutus, but he's one of the smartest people I've ever encountered. So don't paint me as a sheep spewing the liberal gospel. Most of my views on race were developed at a high school with 50% minorities and 40% of the students on financial aid. Real world experience isn't restricted to how you define it.

True capitalism is the least racist system only in a color blind society. We are not color blind. The constitution is not color blind. I find it hard to believe that you've never encountered anything racist over your career. You're either lying or willfully ignorant. Even the most successful African Americans have anecdotes of facing racism. You seem to be operating in a bubble.

If it's not color blind, it isn't true capitalism. I have never encountered any racial issues what so ever. I had black bosses, subordinates, clients, and peers. Never been an issue. I know that might be hard for you and your professor to believe. I think my experience is more the rule than the exception.

Voter ID has always been a problem, but it becomes a crisis when people start showing up by the bus load. Explain to me again how asking everyone to show an ID before they do vote is racist? Unless you are saying black people aren't capable of procuring IDs...then who is the racist?

I will paint you as a sheep spewing statist gospel (notice I didn't liberal) as long as you continue to do so. You should learn from Dry then and oppose the tryany of the state on the individual rather suggest an entire group of people isn't capable of improving their situation by taking advantage opportunists that are afforded them. Any other position is racist in nature and perpetuates the problem.

HTH
    I lean pretty strong to Race and Damone's side on most of this, including ID to vote, but I have to say, if you've honestly never witnessed any racial issues whatsoever, you've clearly never lived in the parts of the cuntry I've lived in.

Racism in hiring and firing (both ways) is some real shit in Memphis, right now, today.

I don't pretend to know what the solution is, and I'm with pawz that equality at the start of the day is the goal rather than at the end of the day, but it's hard for me to conceive of this world where we can deny that racism in the workplace exists. It's not the world I live in, that's for sure.
    I didn't say it doesn't exist. Said I have never seen it. I worked in the south as well. Mostly with people of other races. Including in Memphis and across the river in Arkansas. Everyone was too focused on making money to give a fuck about race.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

dnc said:

TL,DR

STFU Already.

HTH

I didn't say it doesn't exist. Said I have never seen it. I worked in the south as well. Mostly with people of other races. Including in Memphis and across the river in Arkansas. Everyone was too focused on making money to give a fuck about race.
    It's hard to see with your eyes closed.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

TL,DR

STFU Already.

HTH

It's hard to see with your eyes closed.
    Then open them.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

An obscure case in Florida or a microcosm of a greater problem? The media was on to it long before Obama commented on it. There were marches before before he said anything.

Voter ID laws are unnecessary. Voting is a civil liberty, ID requirements diminish that. If someone wants to vote the requirement should be citizenship, nothing beyond that. You're lying to yourself if you truly don't see the intention of these laws.

Another dishonest post about race in America, and a dishonest representation of my arguments in this thread.

2) To make sure that they are who they say they are and only vote once. Because you see both political parties have been guilty of enticing votes of the poor with Cash or a pack of cigarettes. And the motivation for someone without a pot to piss in to vote at 9 different polls on election day can be strong.
    Please provide all the cases of in person voter fraud. Thanks in advance.
  • Options

We are lucky Race sets up his chess board here.

If you think that was Race playing chess then you're still playing checkers. Honest and thoughtful responses are fucking worthless.

Collegedoog- I thought you did a really nice job in these threads. I agree with a lot of what you've said. I thought you let these guys get away with a little to much but that's probably because you were trying to have a real conversation.
    Of course you did....... Put away the checker board.

Lay out for us why registering with a birth certificate is OK, but proving you're that same person when voting is racist.....
    It's targeting black voters. It's targeting them because they are more likely to not have ids than white voters. It's racist because there is no voter fraud.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    All of this becomes easier to understand when you understand that the system is designed to further the power/rights of those who already have money, and to hinder the efforts and/or disenfranchise those who do not. People with money, whether fairly earned or not, don't want to risk losing political power by making it easier for the lesser-propertied to exercise what should be their inalienable right to vote as American citizens. You can argue all day that voter ID laws don't discriminate against any race or creed, but I'd argue that it's only because economic class isn't a recognized 'class' of people in the eyes of civil rights law. CollegeDoog's correct in that this is a gigantic straw man set up by the right wing in response to how the Obama elections dramatically reshaped this country's electoral math, and the rest of you are right in that it isn't entirely about race. So there's that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

salemcoog said:

It's sad that we don't think blacks are on capable of getting an ID.

voter fraud is rare because the system is working and keeping fraudulent ballots out. People have gone to prison for it though.

Should black people be able to buy a gun without an ID? That's a right. Seems racist to make them provide an ID to express a constitutional right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    edited December 2013
    You need to learn the difference between a civil liberty and a right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    edited December 2013
    So we tell the underclass to work as hard as they can to better themselves economically, yet do things like restrict voting deadlines, add unnecessary requirements, and close DMV's in Metropolitan areas.

So while they're working their ass off to improve their economic situation they should also find time to get new documentation, which was never necessary before, to take advantage of something guaranteed to every American.

Seems hypocritical to me.
  • Options

salemcoog said:

voter fraud is rare because the system is working and keeping fraudulent ballots out. People have gone to prison for it though.

Should black people be able to buy a gun without an ID? That's a right. Seems racist to make them provide an ID to express a constitutional right.
    You can save your blame flipping bullshit for Collegedoog. More blacks, by percentage, don't have ids. You say getting an id is all about being capable. Therefore you think blacks are less capable of getting ids. This is why real conversation with you guys is worthless.

Voter fraud is rare because the system is working therefore we need to add new laws to a system that's working. Sounds a lot like big government to me.

No one should be able to buy a gun. It's not a right. HTH.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2013

salemcoog said:

You can save your blame flipping bullshit for Collegedoog. More blacks, by percentage, don't have ids. You say getting an id is all about being capable. Therefore you think blacks are less capable of getting ids. This is why real conversation with you guys is worthless.

Voter fraud is rare because the system is working therefore we need to add new laws to a system that's working. Sounds a lot like big government to me.

It's just as much as a right as voting. Check the facts. The fact you pick and choose what you agree with is telling.

I don't think blacks are less capable of getting an id. Only racists do an use that as an excuse.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Y'all gettin caught up in the details which is fine, but its a much bigger issue

I recommend reading The Naked Communist (1958)

This will help you understand just what in the hell is going on these days
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You need to learn the difference between a civil liberty and a right.

So owning a gun is a right and voting is a civil liberty? So you you need to show and Id for a right but not a civil liberty. Good Christ. You guys are pressing.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

salemcoog said:

It's just as much as a right as voting. Check the facts. The fact you pick and choose what you agree with is telling.

I don't think blacks are less capable of getting an id. Only racists do an use that as an excuse.
    Now you're against big government? Wow
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

So we tell the underclass to work as hard as they can to better themselves economically, yet do things like restrict voting deadlines, add unnecessary requirements, and close DMV's in Metropolitan areas.

So while they're working their ass off to improve their economic situation they should also find time to get new documentation, which was never necessary before, to take advantage of something guaranteed to every American.

Seems hypocritical to me.

People of all colors work their asses off to better themselves economically. Yet somehow they manage to get an ID ahead of time and vote when they need to.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,430
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This whole discussion is mute in this economicism.
  • Options
    SandyHookerSandyHooker Member Posts: 343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Testing 1

Y'all gettin caught up in the details which is fine, but its a much bigger issue

I recommend reading The Naked Communist (1958)

This will help you understand just what in the hell is going on these days

If it's about the East German womens swim team, I'll pass
  • Options

salemcoog said:

Now you're against big government? Wow
    I can't spoon feed you. Try to keep up.