Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Texas Recruiting - WAM Appetizer

12345679»

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

I know exactly what I’m talking about

Too many idiots take whatever Dennis says as the gospel

Thankfully we have a new messiah now, and his name is @sonics1993. I want to be his minion.
    It remains to be seen if he rises again or not
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

I know exactly what I’m talking about

Too many idiots take whatever Dennis says as the gospel

Probably the smartest thing you've said in a long time.
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

Let’s be clear on opportunity cost ...

It’s applicable when I have a finite amount of resources (usually in the form of $$$) and I’m making decisions on how to maximize bang for my buck (usually customers)

The limiting agent in CFB recruiting is amount of time on the road recruiting. Coaches have to be smart at where they travel, who they visit, and most importantly and not really talked about here are the HS programs/coaches they want to build pipelines with.

The flaw in how most of you are talking about opportunity cost is that the recruiting game isn’t about maximizing customers (recruits). The recruiting game is finite and in any given class it’s about being able to secure the top targets that you can.

Road Dawg is spot on in his assessment. Texas is all about building out infrastructure and pipelines for the future. 1 to 3 kids don’t sound like a lot but it’s 5-15% of our class. In the last 5 years we’ve gone from being blown out in Hawaii to very successful by investing, time, energy, and resources. Same with Utah. Texas is no different.

Yeah like huskyskeet said nobody was arguing to maximize customers. Everybody was arguing about time as a limiting factor.

Next time before you come in on your TCU MBA high horse trying to explain basic concepts like we are idiots maybe take a second read first.

You're misrepresenting what he said. Teq didn't say that one of you said that the recruiting game is about maximizing customers, he said that this fact is why you're wrong. To be fair to him.

It goes back to what he said about it being a finite market. There's only so far you can expand. At the same time there's only so many good investments in a certain region, which might make it a net gain to expand at least a little bit.

That's where the opportunity cost comes in. Of course that necessitates an investment. We're not investing as much money as a team like Clemson, nor do we have the same brand (in terms of wins), therefore it takes longer. It's not necessarily a sunk cost.

Personally I think the biggest limiting factor in our recruiting has been sticking with bad coaches. Adams and Huff has given us way faster yields than the Texas strategy, although Teq makes a good point about Hawai'i and Utah.