Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Texas Recruiting - WAM Appetizer

Comments

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

If you think you’re going to lecture me on what opportunity cost is you’re insane

People talk about opportunity cost because Dennis talks about it ...

There are parts of what Dennis says that I absolutely agree with in terms of opportunity cost

There are parts where I completely disagree

Opportunity cost is most applicable where you are boundless ... but recruiting is finite

If there are no scholarship limits you recruit everybody in state and then let them earn their spot, flame out, whatever.

But with limits we have to be selective. You have to target the best players possible that fit what it is that you want to do.

Again, the resources spent in Texas really only matter if we are missing on West Coast based players BECAUSE OF the efforts that we are spending in Texas. There is no material effort that that is the case.

Texas at this point is a CapEx investment that we are making for long term benefit. We are getting some short term returns but probably not at a break even versus the effort.

IMO, expanding our geographic footprint is critical if we want to compete nationally long term. You can freely disagree with me on that as we are all entitled to opinions. This is all about supplementing and adding to our recruiting base ... not taking away from it.

The reality is that if you don’t get ahead of trends it’s too late to react when they become obvious

Yeah, I think I'm gonna need to lecture you on opportunity cost...
    Fuck off

You have 20 guys you are getting every year

The whole point of opportunity cost is maximizing return ... and ideally doing so while minimizing cost

If that’s your plan you focus locally and call it a day

Here’s the thing though, you offer kids like Carson Bruener and they commit immediately. So you better be damn sure that they are the best you can get it or you just limited yourself.

When you know you can flip kids like Bruener, Jaxson Kirkland, and Joe Tryon late in the game, then you’re a fool to take them early if you have higher targets.

Some of you are such fucking lemmings
    LOL you are on such tilt.

In your hypo (which is a huge strawman) you are just counting every commit equally in terms of return which makes no fucking sense.

The return is not how many commits we get it is the talent and potential of those commits (best measured vs a replacement-level recruit for you sabermetrics nerds.)

This idea that nobody can prove that we are missing on West Coast kids because of Texas is ridiculous. There is no way to make that connection directly. But you (unlike Ballz) acknowledge that recruiting is a game of limited resources so its common fucking sense that we had to cut time recruiting other kids in order to increase our presence in Texas. There is no way that can't have an effect- we just don't know where the effect occurred because this isn't a fucking simulation.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

The question always comes down to what the cost is

The argument against recruiting Texas is that we can be doing better in California. But who in California are we really missing on?

I get all the arguments but the reality is that culture and fit matter a lot to this staff. Those that receive what we are about will gravitate towards us. Those that don’t wont.

Ultimately the key in Texas is gaining traction. Getting a player like Levi is huge. As the Texas players on our roster produce and get to the league our reputation will only further grow there.

Until there’s tangible evidence that our efforts in Texas are wasted, then it’s a worthwhile INVESTMENT for the program to make if they deem that they have the resources to devote to it

Justin Flowe, Elias Ricks, Clark Phillips, Kendall Milton, Jordan Banks...
    You can put the time and effort into situations but that doesn’t mean it’s valuable time

Flower by all outward appearances wasn’t interested in us

Ricks is all about the SEC

Milton likewise thought the grass was greener elsewhere

Jordan Banks still is an outstanding item

This idea that you’re going to get everything you target is insanely flawed
    Literally no one has said or implied that. JFC.
    When names are applied in reference to suggesting more times should have been spent recruiting them, then it’s between implied or suggested that spending more time recruiting those players would have changed the outcome

Which goes to my point that just because you target something doesn’t mean you will get it
    A named example isnt an indication that the outcome definitely would have been changed... Its an example that might possibly have been changed.

JFC this is SAC level of retard...
    So you are recommending to me to change strategy not because something WILL change but because it MIGHT change

Also, while debatable obviously to what extent of a return we are having, but we are getting at least some results of Texas.

So if you are wanting me to change course, you better be able to convince me that you are going to replicate what I’m already getting with certainty ... and the reality is you have to convince me that I’m getting a higher return
    If you want idiotic specific and definitive "predictions" on the future based on nothing why dont you spend your time talking to SAC, the resident village idiot that agrees with you.

You're creating a straw-man... a discussion on general strategy cant guarantee an individual recruits results. Are you fucking retarded?

Clear blackeye for TCU

Its a discussion about the efficiency, cost/benefit and opportunity cost you chromosome collecting mongoloid.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

If you think you’re going to lecture me on what opportunity cost is you’re insane

There are parts of what Dennis says that I absolutely agree with in terms of opportunity cost

Opportunity cost is most applicable where you are boundless ... but recruiting is finite

If there are no scholarship limits you recruit everybody in state and then let them earn their spot, flame out, whatever.

But with limits we have to be selective. You have to target the best players possible that fit what it is that you want to do.

Again, the resources spent in Texas really only matter if we are missing on West Coast based players BECAUSE OF the efforts that we are spending in Texas. There is no material effort that that is the case.

Texas at this point is a CapEx investment that we are making for long term benefit. We are getting some short term returns but probably not at a break even versus the effort.

IMO, expanding our geographic footprint is critical if we want to compete nationally long term. You can freely disagree with me on that as we are all entitled to opinions. This is all about supplementing and adding to our recruiting base ... not taking away from it.

The reality is that if you don’t get ahead of trends it’s too late to react when they become obvious

Fuck off

The whole point of opportunity cost is maximizing return ... and ideally doing so while minimizing cost

Here’s the thing though, you offer kids like Carson Bruener and they commit immediately. So you better be damn sure that they are the best you can get it or you just limited yourself.

When you know you can flip kids like Bruener, Jaxson Kirkland, and Joe Tryon late in the game, then you’re a fool to take them early if you have higher targets.

In your hypo (which is a huge strawman) you are just counting every commit equally in terms of return which makes no fucking sense.

The return is not how many commits we get it is the talent and potential of those commits (best measured vs a replacement-level recruit for you sabermetrics nerds.)

This idea that nobody can prove that we are missing on West Coast kids because of Texas is ridiculous. There is no way to make that connection directly. But you (unlike Ballz) acknowledge that recruiting is a game of limited resources so its common fucking sense that we had to cut time recruiting other kids in order to increase our presence in Texas. There is no way that can't have an effect- we just don't know where the effect occurred because this isn't a fucking simulation.
    Except that the way that recruiting works is that you really start recruiting kids (regardless of offers) is when they are freshmen/sophomores

So by the time you really are starting to recruit guys, you have a pretty good sense of the interest levels on both sides
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Look what you have created @DoogCourics
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

The argument against recruiting Texas is that we can be doing better in California. But who in California are we really missing on?

I get all the arguments but the reality is that culture and fit matter a lot to this staff. Those that receive what we are about will gravitate towards us. Those that don’t wont.

Ultimately the key in Texas is gaining traction. Getting a player like Levi is huge. As the Texas players on our roster produce and get to the league our reputation will only further grow there.

Until there’s tangible evidence that our efforts in Texas are wasted, then it’s a worthwhile INVESTMENT for the program to make if they deem that they have the resources to devote to it

You can put the time and effort into situations but that doesn’t mean it’s valuable time

When names are applied in reference to suggesting more times should have been spent recruiting them, then it’s between implied or suggested that spending more time recruiting those players would have changed the outcome

Which goes to my point that just because you target something doesn’t mean you will get it
    A named example isnt an indication that the outcome definitely would have been changed... Its an example that might possibly have been changed.

So you are recommending to me to change strategy not because something WILL change but because it MIGHT change

Also, while debatable obviously to what extent of a return we are having, but we are getting at least some results of Texas.

So if you are wanting me to change course, you better be able to convince me that you are going to replicate what I’m already getting with certainty ... and the reality is you have to convince me that I’m getting a higher return
    If you want idiotic specific and definitive "predictions" on the future based on nothing why dont you spend your time talking to SAC, the resident village idiot that agrees with you.

You're creating a straw-man... a discussion on general strategy cant guarantee an individual recruits results. Are you fucking retarded?

Clear blackeye for TCU

Its a discussion about the efficiency, cost/benefit and opportunity cost you chromosome collecting mongoloid.

Investments don’t necessarily generate immediate returns

Failure to invest in the future often dooms those that aren’t forward looking

If you can convince me that redirecting resources out of Texas materially improves returns in California, Utah, Arizona, Hawaii, etc, then I’m ALL ears

Problem is that you can’t ...

It’s a far better argument to me to argue that we need to upgrade the back half of our recruiters ... which is something I’m 100% behind talking about
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If "A Candle in the Wind" is theee AIDS song then this thread needs...

• Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited August 2019
    @Tequilla is on his A game today and destroying you fuckers.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Clear blackeye for TCU

Investments don’t necessarily generate immediate returns

Failure to invest in the future often dooms those that aren’t forward looking

If you can convince me that redirecting resources out of Texas materially improves returns in California, Utah, Arizona, Hawaii, etc, then I’m ALL ears

Problem is that you can’t ...

It’s a far better argument to me to argue that we need to upgrade the back half of our recruiters ... which is something I’m 100% behind talking about
    Of course I can't convince someone who has already made up their mind.

I can say we had this exact same conversation when Choate and Pease were recruiting Texas hard. How did those investments work out?

Investing in the future to become the next Amazon is also an excuse for money-losing companies that are either in a bad business or bad at business or both.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,261
    Swaye's Wigwam

@Tequilla is on his game today and destroying you fuckers.

Sure.gif
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

@Tequilla is on his game today and destroying you fuckers.

Sure.gif

• Options
    How have I made up my mind?

If you can’t provide me evidence that shows me the current strategy isn’t working, then why would I dispute the vision?

It’s clearly provided some returns and some quite strong ones.

There’s zero evidence that the coaches are stretched to the point it’s impacting other focus areas.

$$$ isn’t a material concern here

From my viewpoint it’s relatively low risk and high reward. It’s getting ahead of potential issues that may arise.

There’s way more merit discussing our bottom half recruiters as having a greater impact on our recruiting performance than this.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck off

Donate.
  • Options
    Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Houhusky said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Clear blackeye for TCU

Donate.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck off

Except that the way that recruiting works is that you really start recruiting kids (regardless of offers) is when they are freshmen/sophomores

So by the time you really are starting to recruit guys, you have a pretty good sense of the interest levels on both sides
    Donate.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    edited August 2019

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,448

Key takeaway from OP is that the coaches have rationalized why they recruit Texas and that they're going to continue it.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739

Key takeaway from OP is that the coaches have rationalized why they recruit Texas and that they're going to continue it.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,294
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    If there is benefit to adding a bit of Texas HS football culture to our locker room then it makes more sense to me.

Otherwise I am struggling to see not going all in on California while USC/UCLA are down.