Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Texas Recruiting - WAM Appetizer

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

The fundamental problem is this idea that going to Texas is taking away resources from elsewhere

If you check most of the Texas trips are also combined with Utah, Arizona, etc ..

For those not aware of flight times, SEA ➡️ DFW is about 3:15 to 3:30 ... LAX and Phoenix are more in the 2:30 to 3:00 range ... it’s really not material

As for Texas, the question for me is what/how are we doing what we’re doing. Forming strong relationships with schools like Allen HS is a good use of our time ... just like having ins with St John Bosco is for us in LA. Doesn’t mean that we get everybody from those schools. But when there is a good fit and interest, the results can be really good.

There’s a ton of talent in Texas ... it’s good for us to have a presence.

A couple other considerations:

1) West Coast participation is potentially declining and on top of that there’s a P12 perception issue

2) Tech is becoming a BIG DEAL in Texas and the presence of companies like Amazon, Microsoft, etc is increasing ... there’s definitely tie in opportunities there

3) The way Texas recruiting works there are really good players that Texas/Oklahoma never even sniff at ... players like Sunday are great examples

Shortest nonstop on Orbitz is 3:45 minutes. Longest is about 4:10. Safe to say average is 3:55ish.

Return trip is longer with 4:10 the low end and 4:30 the high end. Average about 4:20.

LAX shortest is 2:40, longest is 3:02. Average is probably 2:50ish.

Back is slightly shorter with only one flight at 3:00 even and a couple under 2:40. Basically the same.

So about an hour and five minutes longer there and an hour and a half longer back.

So it's a bigger difference than being stated here but still not as big of a difference as one would think.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    whlinder said:

If there is benefit to adding a bit of Texas HS football culture to our locker room then it makes more sense to me.

Otherwise I am struggling to see not going all in on California while USC/UCLA are down.

USC and UCLA won’t be down forever
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

The fundamental problem is this idea that going to Texas is taking away resources from elsewhere

If you check most of the Texas trips are also combined with Utah, Arizona, etc ..

For those not aware of flight times, SEA ➡️ DFW is about 3:15 to 3:30 ... LAX and Phoenix are more in the 2:30 to 3:00 range ... it’s really not material

As for Texas, the question for me is what/how are we doing what we’re doing. Forming strong relationships with schools like Allen HS is a good use of our time ... just like having ins with St John Bosco is for us in LA. Doesn’t mean that we get everybody from those schools. But when there is a good fit and interest, the results can be really good.

1) West Coast participation is potentially declining and on top of that there’s a P12 perception issue

2) Tech is becoming a BIG DEAL in Texas and the presence of companies like Amazon, Microsoft, etc is increasing ... there’s definitely tie in opportunities there

3) The way Texas recruiting works there are really good players that Texas/Oklahoma never even sniff at ... players like Sunday are great examples

Shortest nonstop on Orbitz is 3:45 minutes. Longest is about 4:10. Safe to say average is 3:55ish.

Return trip is longer with 4:10 the low end and 4:30 the high end. Average about 4:20.

Back is slightly shorter with only one flight at 3:00 even and a couple under 2:40. Basically the same.

So about an hour and five minutes longer there and an hour and a half longer back.

So it's a bigger difference than being stated here but still not as big of a difference as one would think.
    There’s listed and reality ... I fly the route often ... I should know
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

There’s listed and reality ... I fly the route often ... I should know
    So the DFW flights are thirty minutes faster than listed but the LAX ones are listed correctly?

Sure.gif
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2019
    whlinder said:

If there is benefit to adding a bit of Texas HS football culture to our locker room then it makes more sense to me.

Otherwise I am struggling to see not going all in on California while USC/UCLA are down.

This is a sensible question. Everyone is guessing at the answer.

Tequilla said:

West Coast participation is potentially declining and on top of that there’s a P12 perception issue

This is the real issue. If you think it’s tough keeping top West Coast kids in the P12, try moving outside the footprint, where you can’t even seen most P12 games on TV, except for the handful that start at 9:00 p.m. CT or later.

The cord-cutting trend will only worsen UW’s TV disadvantage nationally. Until the P12 shitcans Larry Scott and unfucks its ludicrous TV/streaming contracts, the only Texan players available to UW will continue to be guys the bluebloods don’t want. Which just isn’t a sound strategy for enhancing your Blue Chip Ratio and positioning yourself to win a National Championship.
  • BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    @Tequila wins. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Let’s be clear on opportunity cost ...

It’s applicable when I have a finite amount of resources (usually in the form of $$$) and I’m making decisions on how to maximize bang for my buck (usually customers)

The limiting agent in CFB recruiting is amount of time on the road recruiting. Coaches have to be smart at where they travel, who they visit, and most importantly and not really talked about here are the HS programs/coaches they want to build pipelines with.

The flaw in how most of you are talking about opportunity cost is that the recruiting game isn’t about maximizing customers (recruits). The recruiting game is finite and in any given class it’s about being able to secure the top targets that you can.

Road Dawg is spot on in his assessment. Texas is all about building out infrastructure and pipelines for the future. 1 to 3 kids don’t sound like a lot but it’s 5-15% of our class. In the last 5 years we’ve gone from being blown out in Hawaii to very successful by investing, time, energy, and resources. Same with Utah. Texas is no different.
  • whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I understand the reservations when it comes to Texas recruiting but I don't see the issue. The notion that we are wasting resources in Texas is wrong. Most of recruiting is texting and face time which doesn't take a lot of time or effort, it allows us to offer more recruits because of our strict criteria for offering and we aren't neglecting California for Texas. California is the first state the coaches evaluate for recruits and once they have done that along with Washington then they move on to other states. Us recruiting Texas hasn't prevented us from getting California recruits, it's just given us more opportunity for UW caliber recruits.

Dialed in. Welcome.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    TTJ said:

whlinder said:

This is a sensible question. Everyone is guessing at the answer.

Tequilla said:

West Coast participation is potentially declining and on top of that there’s a P12 perception issue

This is the real issue. If you think it’s tough keeping top West Coast kids in the P12, try moving outside the footprint, where you can’t even seen most P12 games on TV, except for the handful that start at 9:00 p.m. CT or later.

The cord-cutting trend will only worsen UW’s TV disadvantage nationally. Until the P12 shitcans Larry Scott and unfucks its ludicrous TV/streaming contracts, the only Texan players available to UW will continue to be guys the bluebloods don’t want. Which just isn’t a sound strategy for enhancing your Blue Chip Ratio and positioning yourself to win a National Championship.
    as UW continues to level up it may be more value with less risk for UW to schedule kick ass non-conference games because if they're any good they'll definitely all be on national tv.

the only lack of exposure we are risking now that Pete's leveled up the recruiting and team size/skill is the current shit non-conf games like EWU, Hawaii, etc and the shit games that even we hardcore fans can barely handle (Oregon State or bottom feeding Pac12 teams in a given year).
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,722
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This goes back a ways. Look at 2000 and imagine the SEC having three teams like Oregon OSU and UW were that year.

None of them were great because we saw them up close but that's true with almost any team. All of them beat major opponents and won big bowls yet didn't sniff the national title game because the perception was Miami and FSU were just better. Probably were but we? beat Miami

The SEC does that and they build statues

Our perception sucks. Still

Tough for anyone not named USC to overcome that in a year or so. Oregon was getting there then poof
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Tequilla said:

It’s applicable when I have a finite amount of resources (usually in the form of $$$) and I’m making decisions on how to maximize bang for my buck (usually customers)

The limiting agent in CFB recruiting is amount of time on the road recruiting. Coaches have to be smart at where they travel, who they visit, and most importantly and not really talked about here are the HS programs/coaches they want to build pipelines with.

The flaw in how most of you are talking about opportunity cost is that the recruiting game isn’t about maximizing customers (recruits). The recruiting game is finite and in any given class it’s about being able to secure the top targets that you can.

Road Dawg is spot on in his assessment. Texas is all about building out infrastructure and pipelines for the future. 1 to 3 kids don’t sound like a lot but it’s 5-15% of our class. In the last 5 years we’ve gone from being blown out in Hawaii to very successful by investing, time, energy, and resources. Same with Utah. Texas is no different.

No one is arguing about maximizing the number of recruits, it's about where your time is best spent closing highly rated recruits. We have a much higher closing rate in the West than we do in Texas, so every minute spent in Texas is detrimental to recruiting in California.

Is your finite resource (time) better spent in Texas or a western state?
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

This discussion has been closed

• GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    You fuckers have way too strong of opinions about recruiting in Texas. @Tequilla's right when he compares it to an investment, and right now we're obviously eating the costs. LIFPO, it may work or it may not, but we're not supposed to see the real returns yet.

The worst take I saw in this AIDS-infested thread was someone saying Clemson could waltz into California now that they're a national brand and that that should be our strategy, i.e. wait until we're a "national brand". What a load of shit. If you think Clemson wasn't making inroads to Cali before they were Clemson and just decided to show up one day once they became the hot girl, you're out of your god damn mind.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,702
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited August 2019
    Tequilla said:

Yeah like huskyskeet said nobody was arguing to maximize customers. Everybody was arguing about time as a limiting factor.

Next time before you come in on your TCU MBA high horse trying to explain basic concepts like we are idiots maybe take a second read first.

I know exactly what I’m talking about

Too many idiots take whatever Dennis says as the gospel
    And to be clear I’m not being critical of Dennis in saying that ... it’s more about thinking critically and independently to arrive at conclusions