Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    Blu82Blu82 Member Posts: 1,502
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    If we dumped a few billion in cash on the tarmac in Beijing I'm sure the ChiComs would be nicer to us.
    Or, tell them to "knock it off". That will surely work.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,261
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We do know that Trump’s threats are credible. He began saying how much he loved tariffs long before he ran for office. The irony is that his protectionist stance could pave the way for freer trade, first with China and then with the European Union.

That's kind of important for a change

Obese
    Orange
    White Trash
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

We do know that Trump’s threats are credible. He began saying how much he loved tariffs long before he ran for office. The irony is that his protectionist stance could pave the way for freer trade, first with China and then with the European Union.

That's kind of important for a change

Obese
    Orange
    White Trash

True.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    The Racebannon/Cirrhosis Brevity Wars rival the Creepycoug/Racebannon WTF wars.

Chintresting
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Who knows if the new TUFF on China approach will work or not. But we do know that the old approach wasn't.

I like free trade with allies and frens. Maybe China just doesn't want to be our fren.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Who knows if the new TUFF on China approach will work or not. But we do know that the old approach wasn't.

I like free trade with allies and frens. Maybe China just doesn't want to be our fren.

Something had to be done. Ignoring the problem wasn't working. China's theft of US intellectual property was costing us billions.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    SFGbob said:

Something had to be done. Ignoring the problem wasn't working. China's theft of US intellectual property was costing us billions.
    Either way it will cost us billions.

My company is being hit with the tariffs. Guess what? In the short-medium term, we aren't going to resource components away from the suppliers. Nope. That takes time and $.

We will pass the tariff along to our customer, who in turn will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to the citizens of the US in the form of higher prices.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

My company is being hit with the tariffs. Guess what? In the short-medium term, we aren't going to resource components away from the suppliers. Nope. That takes time and $.

We will pass the tariff along to our customer, who in turn will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to the citizens of the US in the form of higher prices.
    Assuming they want to by the crap you import from China

I guess white trash needs those cheap knock off stolen goods, right @CirrhosisDawg ?

Be a better business man and stop relying on crap to make a buck
  • Options

SFGbob said:

I guess white trash needs those cheap knock off stolen goods, right @CirrhosisDawg ?

Tariffs equal free trade
    War is peace
    $1 billion losses equal profit
    We have to destroy markets to save them
    Protectionism equals free markets
    POTD
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,879
    Standard Supporter
    Keep rooting for the away team.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sad how many people here who claim to be rich East Pasadena residents need to buy cheap knock off stuff for the illegals in their basement
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Contractors used to buy drywall from China. That worked out great after all the lawsuits for putting formaldehyde in people's houses
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Contractors used to buy drywall from China. That worked out great after all the lawsuits for putting formaldehyde in people's houses

My father-in-law, has term he uses where he says, "Oh, that piece of crap is made from Chineseum".
  • Options
    Dude61Dude61 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,227
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options

SFGbob said:

This is just such a dim, myopic view of how goods are manufactured in a global economy.

Our products are made of components sourced from all over the world, including the good ol' USA. Our products/services are recognized as the technological and quality gold standard in the industry, are in high demand and never the cheapest alternative.

We hold a dominant market position of #1 or #2 in almost every product line we produce in every region.

So, we will continue to source components from the best cost country in the short and medium term and pass the 25% tariff on to our customers. As such, the tariff will get passed on to you Mr. Race Bannon in the form of higher prices, because everything you touch in your daily life in the past, present and future will have to utilize our products.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

This is just such a dim, myopic view of how goods are manufactured in a global economy.

Our products are made of components sourced from all over the world, including the good ol' USA. Our products/services are recognized as the technological and quality gold standard in the industry, are in high demand and never the cheapest alternative.

We hold a dominant market position of #1 or #2 in almost every product line we produce in every region.

So, we will continue to source components from the best cost country in the short and medium term and pass the 25% tariff on to our customers. As such, the tariff will get passed on to you Mr. Race Bannon in the form of higher prices, because everything you touch in your daily life in the past, present and future will have to utilize our products.
    Global economy

Well, stop whining and live with it

The USA is part of the globe.

If you source from all over the world then losing the cheap knock off stolen shit from China shouldn't hurt your party favor business.

You raise something I want 25% I go elsewhere. Its global you know
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

We must DO SOMETHING!!
  • Options

SFGbob said:

Global economy

Well, stop whining and live with it

The USA is part of the globe.

If you source from all over the world then losing the cheap knock off stolen shit from China shouldn't hurt your party favor business.

You raise something I want 25% I go elsewhere. Its global you know
    Where is the whining? I'm just stating the facts, higher costs will get passed on to you, the consumer.

Who is talking about party favors? I'm talking about highly engineered products, designed into products that you cannot live without.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2019

SFGbob said:

I love this global/corporatist bullshit where people like BennieBrainwashed pretend that they care more about my prices being low instead of the exploding profit they make, when something like MacBooks are made in China vs California. The price didn't move an inch, but the profit increased five-fold when manufacturing moved off-shore.

It's all about profit, not quality or low prices, dumbass.
  • Options

SFGbob said:

I love this global/corporatist bullshit where people like BennieBrainwashed pretend that they care more about my prices being low instead of the exploding profit they make, when something like MacBooks are made in China vs California. The price didn't move an inch, but the profit increased five-fold when manufacturing moved off-shore.

It's all about profit, not quality or low prices, dumbass.
    @UW_Doog_Bot do you want to reply to this retard about micro economics? I’m happy to do so myself but you do a good job explaining how supply-demand dynamics clear markets.