Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Gangster in the WH

Comments

• Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

Benny, how would you address these problems with China alternatively though? The simple fact is that they need our market a lot more than we need theirs. Supply chains are already moving away from China as cheap labor dries up and as the population begins to age. Vietnam, India, etc. Opening our markets to them(which once upon a time I believed in) has failed to do anything other than create a neo-facist almost super power in the world.

Sorry not sorry, a little short term pain for American consumers is a small price to pay to avoid a world dominated by the CCP. It's definitely preferable to world war 3 nuclear bugaloo. Happy to hear the alternative method to bring the CCP to heel that's better. Convince me and I'll advocate for that.

I mean, that's it right there. That's the point of it.

Like Trump, hate Trump, whatever Trump. Whomever is making a play to solve this, you can only evaluate the play after you ask yourself two questions: (1) is there anything about our economic relationship with the Chinese that's long-term detrimental to American interests (I assume we all agree "yes" here); and (2) what levers do we? have to pull?

I am not a Trump guy, and I don't reflexively respond to Tuff talk and bravado. But taking a hard line with China, now, as opposed to when we need them more than they need us, is not the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Recognize, too, that there is a Yuge cultural issue here. We walk, talk and act like Western Europeans. We understand each other for obvious reasons and can thus appeal to each other's sense of fairness, right, wrong, etc. When someone from Western Europe is fucking you, he knows he's fucking you, and he knows you know that he knows.

The Chinese are a different animal. I've dealt with their import bureaucracy and layers and layers of "agents" whom you need to hire to get you from the dock to their markets. Everybody has their hand out there, and what we consider dishonesty is a routine day at the office for them. They're different. Not better or worse, but different. For that reason, I've always been as cynical about talking shit out with them as I was about Trumpy's chances with fatboy. Ain't gonna work. You gotta him 'em where it hurts. This is a population of people who can still remember what it's like to starve. This isn't about diplomacy. It's free market economis. You do what you're in a position to do, and you take what you're in a position to have to take. It's that simple.

It's not personally Sonny. It's just business.
    This is the kind of issue that gets people to quietly pull the lever for Trump next time
    The vote of shame and failure.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Both parties but especially the Rats starting with Clinton have been bending over for the Chi Coms. They've been stealing us blind for years now and we have done nothing. CD is just a fucking crank with no answers and a raft of strawman ass fucks. No one is claiming that tariffs equal free trade or any of the other laundry list of crap he cites. Ask him what should be done about China IP theft and you'll get another one of his sweet Kunt acts. The guy has nothing.

Can you read? I told you skilled and educated Americans in California eat the Chinese for lunch every day. Better product. Better service. Better skills. That’s why you don’t get it. That’s why you are a failure. So sorry for you.
    No answer but lots of mouth. Huawei, the Chinese tech company is currently the world’s biggest supplier of telecom network equipment and the number two cellphone producer. They had $100 Billion in revenue last year and they've been stealing from us for over decade. Gosh and CD the ignorant Kunt claimed that California was eating China's lunch. I "get" that you have nothing but your ignorant mouth.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Benny, how would you address these problems with China alternatively though? The simple fact is that they need our market a lot more than we need theirs. Supply chains are already moving away from China as cheap labor dries up and as the population begins to age. Vietnam, India, etc. Opening our markets to them(which once upon a time I believed in) has failed to do anything other than create a neo-facist almost super power in the world.

Sorry not sorry, a little short term pain for American consumers is a small price to pay to avoid a world dominated by the CCP. It's definitely preferable to world war 3 nuclear bugaloo. Happy to hear the alternative method to bring the CCP to heel that's better. Convince me and I'll advocate for that.

I’m not advocating for any other policy, just illustrating the effects tariffs are having on my industry, and in turn the 🇺🇸 consumer.

Stipulated. Tarriffs suck. They are inefficient. They are an externality to what would otherwise be an efficient trade transaction.

But national trade policy, theirs and ours, is its own inefficiency, but it's as real as the nose on your face.

Listen, you are preaching to the choir here. But when the deal isn't fair and you have to eat more shit than the other guy, it's not a horrible thing to throw a punch.

Long-term, no question; protectionist policy will cause us to rot from the inside out. Short-term?
    If this were just about an unfair trade deal I'd be more sympathetic the anti-tariff side but at this point what other sticks do we have to deal with China's rampant theft?

• Options
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Both parties but especially the Rats starting with Clinton have been bending over for the Chi Coms. They've been stealing us blind for years now and we have done nothing. CD is just a fucking crank with no answers and a raft of strawman ass fucks. No one is claiming that tariffs equal free trade or any of the other laundry list of crap he cites. Ask him what should be done about China IP theft and you'll get another one of his sweet Kunt acts. The guy has nothing.

Can you read? I told you skilled and educated Americans in California eat the Chinese for lunch every day. Better product. Better service. Better skills. That’s why you don’t get it. That’s why you are a failure. So sorry for you.
    No answer but lots of mouth. Huawei, the Chinese tech company is currently the world’s biggest supplier of telecom network equipment and the number two cellphone producer. They had $100 Billion in revenue last year and they've been stealing from us for over decade. Gosh and CD the ignorant Kunt claimed that California was eating China's lunch. I "get" that you have nothing but your ignorant mouth.
    Again, I’m sorry you don’t have the skills or capabilities to compete. It’s not a problem in capital markets. We win. Sounds like you’ve made a lot of poor life decisions Bob.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

SFGbob said:

Who knows if the new TUFF on China approach will work or not. But we do know that the old approach wasn't.

I like free trade with allies and frens. Maybe China just doesn't want to be our fren.

Something had to be done. Ignoring the problem wasn't working. China's theft of US intellectual property was costing us billions.
    Either way it will cost us billions.

My company is being hit with the tariffs. Guess what? In the short-medium term, we aren't going to resource components away from the suppliers. Nope. That takes time and $.

We will pass the tariff along to our customer, who in turn will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to the citizens of the US in the form of higher prices.
    Assuming they want to by the crap you import from China

I guess white trash needs those cheap knock off stolen goods, right @CirrhosisDawg ?

Be a better business man and stop relying on crap to make a buck
    This is just such a dim, myopic view of how goods are manufactured in a global economy.

Our products are made of components sourced from all over the world, including the good ol' USA. Our products/services are recognized as the technological and quality gold standard in the industry, are in high demand and never the cheapest alternative.

We hold a dominant market position of #1 or #2 in almost every product line we produce in every region.

So, we will continue to source components from the best cost country in the short and medium term and pass the 25% tariff on to our customers. As such, the tariff will get passed on to you Mr. Race Bannon in the form of higher prices, because everything you touch in your daily life in the past, present and future will have to utilize our products.
    Global economy

Well, stop whining and live with it

The USA is part of the globe.

If you source from all over the world then losing the cheap knock off stolen shit from China shouldn't hurt your party favor business.

You raise something I want 25% I go elsewhere. Its global you know
    Where is the whining? I'm just stating the facts, higher costs will get passed on to you, the consumer.

Who is talking about party favors? I'm talking about highly engineered products, designed into products that you cannot live without.
    So you get a portion of your party favors from China. But you source from all over the globe. So your total cost isn't going up 25%, only that portion. How much knock off stolen garbage do you use from China? Is there nowhere else on the globe you can get that?

Turd is right, Phil Knight didn't pass the savings of using child labor along to the consumer and I doubt your fireworks company does either.
    Never said our total costs are going up 25%, only the costs of components affected by the tariffs.

We could source these components from other suppliers, but it takes time and $ to do so.

Or we can continue to use the same suppliers, but have our Mexican entities do the importing and assembly of our party favors, no tariffs. But then high paying jerbs are moved from the US to Mexico. Sad!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I mean, that's it right there. That's the point of it.

Like Trump, hate Trump, whatever Trump. Whomever is making a play to solve this, you can only evaluate the play after you ask yourself two questions: (1) is there anything about our economic relationship with the Chinese that's long-term detrimental to American interests (I assume we all agree "yes" here); and (2) what levers do we? have to pull?

I am not a Trump guy, and I don't reflexively respond to Tuff talk and bravado. But taking a hard line with China, now, as opposed to when we need them more than they need us, is not the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Recognize, too, that there is a Yuge cultural issue here. We walk, talk and act like Western Europeans. We understand each other for obvious reasons and can thus appeal to each other's sense of fairness, right, wrong, etc. When someone from Western Europe is fucking you, he knows he's fucking you, and he knows you know that he knows.

The Chinese are a different animal. I've dealt with their import bureaucracy and layers and layers of "agents" whom you need to hire to get you from the dock to their markets. Everybody has their hand out there, and what we consider dishonesty is a routine day at the office for them. They're different. Not better or worse, but different. For that reason, I've always been as cynical about talking shit out with them as I was about Trumpy's chances with fatboy. Ain't gonna work. You gotta him 'em where it hurts. This is a population of people who can still remember what it's like to starve. This isn't about diplomacy. It's free market economis. You do what you're in a position to do, and you take what you're in a position to have to take. It's that simple.

It's not personally Sonny. It's just business.
    This is the kind of issue that gets people to quietly pull the lever for Trump next time
    The vote of shame and failure.
    That must be why all the Hillary voters here now deny it

The cock just crowed a third time
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Again, I’m sorry you don’t have the skills or capabilities to compete. It’s not a problem in capital markets. We win. Sounds like you’ve made a lot of poor life decisions Bob.
    Except that we historically have these notions that inventors and innovators should get paid for doing so. The Chinese don't. In fact, per Marxist doctrine IP is all property of the state anyways. This is why China can't innovate shit. So they steal it from everyone else. Pretending it's not a problem with some defense of free markets is kind of disingenuous. Doubly so when they have actual detention camps with slave labor all over XinJiang and Tibet.
  • Options
    Dude61Dude61 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,227
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019
    Tariffs = good

when you are protecting your industry from foreign predators.

The U.S. got rich behind tariff walls from 1868-1913. America industrialized by protecting itself from already developed economies like Britain.

China also gave itself breathing room, and sped up the industrialization process by stealing American know how.

Tariffs= bad

Only when you have monopoly forming with domestic industries, and they are taking rents. In this case you lower tariffs to get lowest prices
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Except that we historically have these notions that inventors and innovators should get paid for doing so. The Chinese don't. In fact, per Marxist doctrine IP is all property of the state anyways. This is why China can't innovate shit. So they steal it from everyone else. Pretending it's not a problem with some defense of free markets is kind of disingenuous. Doubly so when they have actual detention camps with slave labor all over XinJiang and Tibet.
    After initially claiming that educated Americans in California are eating the Chinese lunch and that anyone complaining about China's IP theft just isn't educated enough or doesn't have the skills to compete, when confronted with Huawei's numbers he quickly scurried back to limit it just to the capital markets, which I have no way of knowing if it's accurate but comparing finance to the tech world is pretty fucking stupid.
  • Options

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Good points. David Ricardo had it right though. Highly skilled and competitive US labor will beat China every single time. A tariff regime defeats our advantage and reduces us to the level of mercantilists and protectionists. We are better off innovating, leading, producing and winning. The alternative is to reduce ourselves to the lowest common denominator of trumptardism.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Good points. David Ricardo had it right though. Highly skilled and competitive US labor will beat China every single time. A tariff regime defeats our advantage and reduces us to the level of mercantilists and protectionists. We are better off innovating, leading, producing and winning. The alternative is to reduce ourselves to the lowest common denominator of trumptardism.
    Yeah, and if the Chinese steal that innovation and the work product of those highly skilled Americans. Bend over. It's the CD way.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

They are STEALING the innovation part and skipping to the producing and winning. It's not that hard to understand.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

SFGbob said:

Who knows if the new TUFF on China approach will work or not. But we do know that the old approach wasn't.

I like free trade with allies and frens. Maybe China just doesn't want to be our fren.

Something had to be done. Ignoring the problem wasn't working. China's theft of US intellectual property was costing us billions.

My company is being hit with the tariffs. Guess what? In the short-medium term, we aren't going to resource components away from the suppliers. Nope. That takes time and $.

We will pass the tariff along to our customer, who in turn will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to their customer, who will pass it along to the citizens of the US in the form of higher prices.

I guess white trash needs those cheap knock off stolen goods, right @CirrhosisDawg ?

This is just such a dim, myopic view of how goods are manufactured in a global economy.

Our products are made of components sourced from all over the world, including the good ol' USA. Our products/services are recognized as the technological and quality gold standard in the industry, are in high demand and never the cheapest alternative.

We hold a dominant market position of #1 or #2 in almost every product line we produce in every region.

So, we will continue to source components from the best cost country in the short and medium term and pass the 25% tariff on to our customers. As such, the tariff will get passed on to you Mr. Race Bannon in the form of higher prices, because everything you touch in your daily life in the past, present and future will have to utilize our products.
    I love this global/corporatist bullshit where people like BennieBrainwashed pretend that they care more about my prices being low instead of the exploding profit they make, when something like MacBooks are made in China vs California. The price didn't move an inch, but the profit increased five-fold when manufacturing moved off-shore.

It's all about profit, not quality or low prices, dumbass.
    @UW_Doog_Bot do you want to reply to this retard about micro economics? I’m happy to do so myself but you do a good job explaining how supply-demand dynamics clear markets.
    This is what an idiot sounds like when they're trying to sound smart.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Doogles said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

They are STEALING the innovation part and skipping to the producing and winning. It's not that hard to understand.
    He doesn't care. He has his talking points and he'll repeat them as many times as he has to.
  • Options

SFGbob said:

I love this global/corporatist bullshit where people like BennieBrainwashed pretend that they care more about my prices being low instead of the exploding profit they make, when something like MacBooks are made in China vs California. The price didn't move an inch, but the profit increased five-fold when manufacturing moved off-shore.

Please stop misrepresenting my words, I'm simply illustrating the effect that tariffs will have.

It's all about profit, that's why we're in business. Therefore, when our costs are increased by 25% by an act we cannot control, we will pass that along to our customers, so we can maintain our profitability. In turn, your costs will increase on everything you touch. Everything.

The other option to avoid the tariffs, is to move more of our production to Mexico. This means the loss of high paying, Union jerbs here in the good ol' USA. This trade policy is just expediting these business decisions.
    Google "Poker." You might gain some insights into human nature.

Actually, I doubt it.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

SFGbob said:

@UW_Doog_Bot do you want to reply to this retard about micro economics? I’m happy to do so myself but you do a good job explaining how supply-demand dynamics clear markets.
    I've got this.

Turdbomber,

Tariffs are bad, we've discussed this repeatedly.
    So are Nuclear Missiles. But deployed strategically and correctly, they work like a mother-fucker without ever being launched. See the link?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Except that in the age of the internet innovation travels across the globe in seconds. Never mind that additionally Chinese state and state sponsored actors are actively sabotaging and stealing anything we innovate.

In my industry we are literally attacked by Chinese malware/spyware every, single, fucking day.

Did you watch the video I posted the other day of a four star general with a phd in economics discussing this?
  • Options

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Tariffs equal free trade
    War is peace
    $1 billion losses equal profit
    We have to destroy markets to save them
    Protectionism equals free markets
    POTD
    Let China steal our IP and like it appears to be CD's answer. Hardly shocking that a Kunt like CD would respond to being violated by bending over even further.
    I’m sorry to hear you are bending over to the Chinese. We crush them in my industry. You know, things like skills and education matter. Ts&Ps Bob.
    I would clean you out in Poker in less than an hour.

You are one "Not Gettin' It" mother-fucker, CD.