Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Julien Simon, 4* 2021 ATH, Tacoma (Lincoln), WA (Offered 6/22)

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,502
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

RealRhino said:

Any chance we just don't like him as much as you think we should like him? I thought his film was fine, but the only athletic testing numbers I've seen for him are pretty bad. 4.66 shuttle, 28" vertical bad. Even if he's a legit 220, that's not good. Paints a picture of strictly a straight-ahead mover, a guy who isn't going to be good changing direction in space. So is he a DPR? ILB? Assuming that our current ILB can play, we seem like we have good depth there, so maybe they don't think he's special enough to warrant an offer at this point. Maybe they want to see if he can improve on those numbers first.

You don’t stumble upon a top 50 rating because you have potential. You find where you want him then you recruit the fuck out of him. This is a head scratcher and trying to justify why he’s isn’t yet offered is a doog move. Sorry buddy

Is or isn't Petersen elite at recognizing and developing talent?
    Did you miss the part about not stumbling upon being rated a top 50 level talent?

He is fucking elite and I can’t help you if you think otherwise nor will I agree with you.
    Got it I guess Pete isnt offering for nefarious reasons then

They could be slow playing him, or maybe they are just not interested. Which one is it?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    maybe pete is trying get hold of his birth certificate before he offers
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Are you suggesting that the recruiting sites just couldn't misevaluate a guy they have in the top 50? That's it's not possible for him to not have elite potential? You could probably find a dozen of those guys over a five-year period just from USC and UCLA alone.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,838
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

RealRhino said:

Any chance we just don't like him as much as you think we should like him? I thought his film was fine, but the only athletic testing numbers I've seen for him are pretty bad. 4.66 shuttle, 28" vertical bad. Even if he's a legit 220, that's not good. Paints a picture of strictly a straight-ahead mover, a guy who isn't going to be good changing direction in space. So is he a DPR? ILB? Assuming that our current ILB can play, we seem like we have good depth there, so maybe they don't think he's special enough to warrant an offer at this point. Maybe they want to see if he can improve on those numbers first.

You don’t stumble upon a top 50 rating because you have potential. You find where you want him then you recruit the fuck out of him. This is a head scratcher and trying to justify why he’s isn’t yet offered is a doog move. Sorry buddy

Is or isn't Petersen elite at recognizing and developing talent?
    Did you miss the part about not stumbling upon being rated a top 50 level talent?

He is fucking elite and I can’t help you if you think otherwise nor will I agree with you.
    Got it I guess Pete isnt offering for nefarious reasons then

They could be slow playing him, or maybe they are just not interested. Which one is it?
    I’m just here to have fun!
  • Options
    vadawgvadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 466
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Just watched his film...not overly impressed. He's a very slow twitch guy with little explosion that I could see. It's only 3 1/2 minutes but from what I saw, I can understand why he's not being offered yet.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    vadawg said:

Just watched his film...not overly impressed. He's a very slow twitch guy with little explosion that I could see. It's only 3 1/2 minutes but from what I saw, I can understand why he's not being offered yet.

Normally when I watch film of guys that we are after I see something that makes me go “wow” ... it’s obvious and jumps off the page

With Simon, I definitely don’t see that offensively

Defensively, there’s a little more natural fluidity there but he’s super raw ... he doesn’t seem quick twitch enough to stay at DB compared to the typical player that we recruit.

His best spot is LB in college most likely ... but this would be where I’d challenge people to look at the film and when you watch Simon’s film vs a Calvert, Heimuli, or even Tafisi’s ... all of our recent LBs I can watch the film and absolutely see it. I suspect Simon will get there at some point, but he’s not there right now.

He’s still obviously young and I suspect we want to see his progress either this summer and/or his junior year prior to offering.
  • Options
    dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    And to follow up with my last comment, I think Petersen struggles with all of his offer's being committable (at first). He will honor a commit, even if they get hurt or drop on UW's board. That isn't the norm, but it is clear that something has to give or he will continually run into this problem.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,838
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dawgs206 said:

I'm no film guru, but there is probably some truth to what RealRhino said. Simon does seem a little stiff. He's 6'2 220 as a sophomore and should continue growing. He manhandles kids at this level, but is more of straight-line guy and he still gets caught from behind. His brother is a 6'3 300 lb DT as an incoming freshmen at Colorado. If I had to guess, we are holding back to see how he fills out and what position he plays at the next level. When you have offered only 22 prospects for 2021 (According to 247 - I assume that is a bit under reported), that isn't that surprising.

If Simon is an ILB, we are also after (credit to Ballz):
    -Calvert - Top 100, best looking ILB to me
    -Keith Brown - High 4-star
    -Trey Reynolds - Not yet rated - Looks like a similar current skill set to Simon, but a better athlete according to his Hudl numbers
    -Will Latu - Could play a number of positions. Looks a more fluid than Simon. Obviously not offered, but if he brings grades up sounds like that will happen and he could commit on the spot.

Simon could potentially play a number of other positions, but I don't think he is fluid enough to play WR, S, and probably RB (though we just took Sunday), especially if he grows anymore. That being said, he does have offers from everywhere so most coaches don't appear to be worried about where he fits in at the next level.

The more troubling aspect is that 8 of our reported 22 offers are to highly rated Texas kids. We have no shot with these kids, but have spent a lot of resources making sure they are OKG. To me, the change needs to be made on how Petersen is evaluating talent. If 1/3 of our initial offers are to kids we have a very small chance at, we are doing something wrong. Petersen needs to adapt so we aren't playing catch up with kids in our own backyard. Even if Simon outgrows his current position(s), I'd rather take a shot at him then a Texas kid that can barely locate where WA is on a map.

4th paragraphs the money shot. If they mention Washington university in their I got an offer tweet, they GONE!
  • Options
    So 8 of 22 offers have been in Texas ... that’s great and understand the points made

Who have they not offered in 2021 that they should have at this point?
  • Options
    TrumpsWallTrumpsWall Member Posts: 462
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Just read an article about how tackle football numbers are down drastically in California. This info couldn’t be whyCP and staff are starting to emphasize Texas more and more each year could it? That’d definitely be progressive and unlike the boards view of how the U W currently operates in recruiting
  • Options

Just read an article about how tackle football numbers are down drastically in California. This info couldn’t be whyCP and staff are starting to emphasize Texas more and more each year could it? That’d definitely be progressive and unlike the boards view of how the U W currently operates in recruiting

High school football is moving east to the IE Corona, Temecula, Riverside, and north to the high desert - Palmdale, Lancaster in California.

Definitely changing
    As with most things, adapt or die on the vine
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,974
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

So 8 of 22 offers have been in Texas ... that’s great and understand the points made

Who have they not offered in 2021 that they should have at this point?

Troy Franklin #1 recruit in California, out of the same HS as Danny Hammer and played with FSP. The Wide Receiver numbers are really weird right now, thanks Brent Pease.

Quinton Somerville the #1 recruit in AZ is a BUCK.

Steven Ortiz #1 CB on west coast, AZ but played at FSP

Jermaine Terry #1 TE in California, family friends with Darrell Daniels

The offers in Texas aren’t the issue, it’s the time allocation. Will Harris recruiting Texas and Georgia (lol in Georgia they see a black dood from LA the same as a white dood) instead of building off LA/USC ties and after having a good relationship with Snoop Dogg’s league to the point he remembers meeting a young JT Tuimoloau. Look how fast we offered, home visited, and visited Sunday compared to Bijan. Look at our time wasted on Jake Majors when I told @Domicillo way back that there was a kid in Colorado named Roger Rosengarten who’s better than Majors let alone isn’t already committed to Texas.

I’m gonna be stoked once we win a big nationally relevant bowl game and we actually start hitting on these Texas kids. I’m happy we’re getting down there. I just want to see us make life a lot easier on ourselves because that’s the whole point of recruiting Texas early is that you assume the closer to home you get the easier the recruiting will be. But that just isn’t reality right now.

1. WA
    2. LA
    3. NorCal/The Bay➡️Fresno
    4. AZ
    5. Texas, Hawaii, Vegas
    They made Utah a priority since mallow came on and that seems to have been worth the effort. Getting players in that state that are highly recruited as well as some less heralded.

Texas has definitely not paid off for how much effort we have put down there (curne, rice, Fuller, Sunday? And Levi) which is head scratching. I would have thought we’d do better but two things haunting us, We don’t pay and Maybe teams down there are more likely to match a uw offer than they would be when Boise st would offer an unheralded recruit but it’s been discouraging. With the population down there you would think we could get some legit pass rushers to sign up.
  • Options
    vadawgvadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 466
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

vadawg said:

Normally when I watch film of guys that we are after I see something that makes me go “wow” ... it’s obvious and jumps off the page

With Simon, I definitely don’t see that offensively

Defensively, there’s a little more natural fluidity there but he’s super raw ... he doesn’t seem quick twitch enough to stay at DB compared to the typical player that we recruit.

His best spot is LB in college most likely ... but this would be where I’d challenge people to look at the film and when you watch Simon’s film vs a Calvert, Heimuli, or even Tafisi’s ... all of our recent LBs I can watch the film and absolutely see it. I suspect Simon will get there at some point, but he’s not there right now.

He’s still obviously young and I suspect we want to see his progress either this summer and/or his junior year prior to offering.
    I understand he's young, but he's not going to get more explosive or fast twitch over time...and he's really quite a slow twitch dude. Look at how long it takes him to get up to speed (he sort of lumbers). Plus when playing DB, he shows very little explosion in his hits, or his movement toward the ball carrier. Some of that is youth and not being coached well, but he's still very slow twitch....We'll see.
  • Options
    Sunday is an example of where we can be successful in Texas

There’s an extreme bias in Texas HS that the players play 6A and to a lesser degree 5A ... guys in 4A like Sunday tend to be overlooked

4A in Texas is still a fairly large school and from a size standpoint it’s probably comparable to 2A or 3A in Washington

On top of that, coming from an area like Waco, you’re going to be looking at a higher end of 4A as well.