Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Julien Simon, 4* 2021 ATH, Tacoma (Lincoln), WA (Offered 6/22)

Comments

• Options
    dawgs206dawgs206 Member Posts: 482
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    With how much Pete loathes recruiting I’m surprised he didn’t end up coaching in the pros.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Seattle, LA, Oakland, Hawaii, Utah. That’s fucking it. Crawl before you can fucking walk. Be great in a subject before moving on to the next.

I saw Teq say something about “when UDUB tries to expand their pipeline it’s a negative” and people chinned it. WHAT FUCKING PIPELINE DOES UDUB HAVE RIGHT NOW? Seattle where Fozzy, Skinny, & Treshaun, Gee Scott, & Sav’ell are from? Hawaii where Botelho is from? Inland/Upland connection with two of Justin Flowe’s best friends?

Seattle, LA, Oakland, Hawaii, Utah. That’s fucking it.

And Arizona. But they obviously know what they are looking for, so what if there aren't enough of those guys in those areas? You can either expand your parameters or expand your area. Looks like they've chosen the latter. Who is to say that's not the right answer?

Note, this isn't to say that, for example, Smalls or Flowe doesn't fit what they are looking for. I'm sure they do, but the success rate isn't going to be close to 100% no matter what you do, so you have to have way more guys than you need that fit your parameters.

And aren't we already crawling? We've just had two of the best recruiting classes in the last 20 years. It just may look different because the recruits are a little more scattered geographically.
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

UCLA’s academic standards are higher than UDUB’s for athletes and Chip is also selective with his offers. There goes that theory of Pete needs to see his grades go up. How many people are tired of saying “I love Pete, but man....”

Who’s simon’s primary recruiter? Gregory??? If it’s gregory we’re fucked lol. Let’s offer all these Texas and Utah kids before the hometown talent... but doogs still wonder why uw still has a perception problem. You think Gregory can talk to a black kid from Tacoma and explain to him why all these kids in Texas and utah are getting offered before him? Also Gregory is not getting herbig from Hawaii either... I have zero faith in him getting anybody good.

What is it going to take for Pete to change? If fozzy, alijah Vera tucker, botelho, or smalls or any other big time recruit we got in early with but lost doesn’t I don’t think he’ll ever adapt.

Pete is one stubborn son of a gun and will go down trying this his way. It’s just so frustrating that he is so rigid and always slow to react rather than being proactive. I love Pete but he’s going to go down swinging his way. There’s a line I remember him says when he took over for sark when changing the culture and how uw needs to practice. I’m paraphrasing but he said something along the lines “we don’t know how to do it the old (sark) way; we only know how to do it our way”. Doesn’t matter the recruit... just like Pete’s shitty fucking offense he’s going to go do it his way or die trying.

Btw typing my rant while taking a walk for perspective on how shitty our offseason has been.... no botelho, jaden mcdaniels, savell smalls or anything type of excitement or hope. FUCK being a UW fan! This is why we never get anything good.
    How the fuck did you get into my diary and why the fuck would you put that on the internet man I thought we were cool.
    Just trying to carry the torch while you down under in the land of Oz!

I was just watching old episodes of the Chappelle show because of our shitty offseason to get in a better mood. Ran across this skit while i was parousing through your diary which triggered my mini-meltdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDcA9BIB_NQ

This is exactly how I imagine Pete's staff recruiting young black kids....
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    Is Jimmy Lake our head coach yet?
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    guntlove said:

The thing is... Pete's never going to be a guy who loves to recruit. He's not Dabo or Harbaugh... which is fine. He doesn't have to be. There are certainly successful head coaches out there who aren't passionate or dynamic recruiters. But it seems to me that those head coaches need a recruiting coordinator who's dialed in, relentless, and really organized. Someone who sets an example by recruiting his own position hard. Someone who makes sure the program's recruiting messaging and identity is strong and consistent. Someone who makes sure that other coaches haven't stopped recruiting entirely. Someone who's clued-in enough to realize when certain narratives about bias against local recruits or recruits of color are having a deeply negative impact on the program... and is able to address them and figure out practical solutions to combat them.

We have Keith Bhonapha.

I want to be your boyfriend and/or son.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

guntlove said:

The thing is... Pete's never going to be a guy who loves to recruit. He's not Dabo or Harbaugh... which is fine. He doesn't have to be. There are certainly successful head coaches out there who aren't passionate or dynamic recruiters. But it seems to me that those head coaches need a recruiting coordinator who's dialed in, relentless, and really organized. Someone who sets an example by recruiting his own position hard. Someone who makes sure the program's recruiting messaging and identity is strong and consistent. Someone who makes sure that other coaches haven't stopped recruiting entirely. Someone who's clued-in enough to realize when certain narratives about bias against local recruits or recruits of color are having a deeply negative impact on the program... and is able to address them and figure out practical solutions to combat them.

We have Keith Bhonapha.

I want to be your boyfriend and/or son.
    Definitely going with abundance on this one. Let's get weird.

gunt.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

UCLA’s academic standards are higher than UDUB’s for athletes and Chip is also selective with his offers. There goes that theory of Pete needs to see his grades go up. How many people are tired of saying “I love Pete, but man....”

Who’s simon’s primary recruiter? Gregory??? If it’s gregory we’re fucked lol. Let’s offer all these Texas and Utah kids before the hometown talent... but doogs still wonder why uw still has a perception problem. You think Gregory can talk to a black kid from Tacoma and explain to him why all these kids in Texas and utah are getting offered before him? Also Gregory is not getting herbig from Hawaii either... I have zero faith in him getting anybody good.

What is it going to take for Pete to change? If fozzy, alijah Vera tucker, botelho, or smalls or any other big time recruit we got in early with but lost doesn’t I don’t think he’ll ever adapt.

Pete is one stubborn son of a gun and will go down trying this his way. It’s just so frustrating that he is so rigid and always slow to react rather than being proactive. I love Pete but he’s going to go down swinging his way. There’s a line I remember him says when he took over for sark when changing the culture and how uw needs to practice. I’m paraphrasing but he said something along the lines “we don’t know how to do it the old (sark) way; we only know how to do it our way”. Doesn’t matter the recruit... just like Pete’s shitty fucking offense he’s going to go do it his way or die trying.

Btw typing my rant while taking a walk for perspective on how shitty our offseason has been.... no botelho, jaden mcdaniels, savell smalls or anything type of excitement or hope. FUCK being a UW fan! This is why we never get anything good.
    How the fuck did you get into my diary and why the fuck would you put that on the internet man I thought we were cool.

I was just watching old episodes of the Chappelle show because of our shitty offseason to get in a better mood. Ran across this skit while i was parousing through your diary which triggered my mini-meltdown.

Maybe a way to start the healing is to have our coaches watch Chapelle's show together for a month.
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper

Maybe a way to start the healing is to have our coaches watch Chapelle's show together for a month.
    Just to offend Dave and laugh at him like a minstrel instead of like a genius comic and make him quit the show despite a 50 million dollar offer.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,517
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Leach is the man.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Any chance we just don't like him as much as you think we should like him? I thought his film was fine, but the only athletic testing numbers I've seen for him are pretty bad. 4.66 shuttle, 28" vertical bad. Even if he's a legit 220, that's not good. Paints a picture of strictly a straight-ahead mover, a guy who isn't going to be good changing direction in space. So is he a DPR? ILB? Assuming that our current ILB can play, we seem like we have good depth there, so maybe they don't think he's special enough to warrant an offer at this point. Maybe they want to see if he can improve on those numbers first.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I’m thinking I need to watch his film here
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    RealRhino said:

Any chance we just don't like him as much as you think we should like him? I thought his film was fine, but the only athletic testing numbers I've seen for him are pretty bad. 4.66 shuttle, 28" vertical bad. Even if he's a legit 220, that's not good. Paints a picture of strictly a straight-ahead mover, a guy who isn't going to be good changing direction in space. So is he a DPR? ILB? Assuming that our current ILB can play, we seem like we have good depth there, so maybe they don't think he's special enough to warrant an offer at this point. Maybe they want to see if he can improve on those numbers first.

Those numbers were as a freshman, I wouldn't be too worried
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,858
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    RealRhino said:

You don’t stumble upon a top 50 rating because you have potential. You find where you want him then you recruit the fuck out of him. This is a head scratcher and trying to justify why he’s isn’t yet offered is a doog move. Sorry buddy
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,517
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

RealRhino said:

You don’t stumble upon a top 50 rating because you have potential. You find where you want him then you recruit the fuck out of him. This is a head scratcher and trying to justify why he’s isn’t yet offered is a doog move. Sorry buddy

Is or isn't Petersen elite at recognizing and developing talent?
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,858
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

RealRhino said:

Is or isn't Petersen elite at recognizing and developing talent?
    Did you miss the part about not stumbling upon being rated a top 50 level talent?

He is fucking elite and I can’t help you if you think otherwise nor will I agree with you.