Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jordan Banks, 2020 4* Buck/LB, Harbor City (Narbonne), CA (NOT committed to Bama)

Comments

• Options
    sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

whuggy said:

If Sonics mystery LB happens then all the talk about Banks will disappear. And no I don't know the mystery player.

It’s a mystery LB who may or may not visit. The UW coaches are trying. That sounds like a long shot to me.
    Yeah right now it's looking like a long shot. With last and this years class that's 8 LB's and he's getting scared off with the numbers especially after Smalls commitment. Never say never but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    @sonics1993 Heimuli hurt, not ready, or both?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Minor injury and I don't know if he's recovered but either way he's not ready.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Still showing promise I hope.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

We have had some misses in recruiting at LB and some bad luck. We lost 3 potential starters to injury or transfers in Beavers, Eifler, and Kaho. You lose three starters at any position, and your team is drastically worse. We are seeing it this year.

We also had Nick Bolton who is playing very well for Missouri. He’s better than Sirmon and Tafisi. Nobody cared when he decommitted. Some even were happy, but we would be better with him on our team. Another data point that nobody really knows what they are talking about a lot of the time.

I don’t remember if we stopped recruiting Weaver or not, but that was obviously a huge miss as well. He started out at Cal as a DE and maybe would not play ILB for us anyway.

It’s another data point on stacking good classes each year, but we did that to some extent. If we lost 3 DL or 3 DB’s, we would probably hurt there too, especially DL.

I don’t hate Gregory like a lot of you because I think he can really coach. Besides this year, ILB has been a strength. People forget Gregory was a very good DC for Cal. I’m not opposed to him moving on, but it’s far from a guarantee that it would benefit us. Yes, we want coaches that can both recruit and coach, but the coaching part doesn’t get enough attention due to the TBS obsession.

Why is Bob Gregory a good coach? ILB was really only a strength in 2016, and was only decent in other years because BBK covered up everyone else. Azeem and Bierra got worse the more they played. Wellington and Manu are seniors and fucking terrible. Eifler transferring is at least some fault of Gregory for not feeling like he would be apart of the rotation. If the coaches actually thought Nick Bolton was really good they would have made an effort to keep him. They didn't because they thought someone like Tafisi would be just as good.

Jimmy Lake had two players leave early for the NFL, one starter medically retire, another would be senior leave. He was able to figure it out with a bunch of freshman because he's a good coach. Gregory is starting two Seniors! I don't feel like making excuses for him.
    Yeah I got to agree but sadly I don't see him going anywhere but I hope i'm wrong.
    TYFY Honesty
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Oh yeah, you see the potential. It's really hard to contribute as a true freshman if you don't enroll early, that's why it's so impressive what Trent and Latu are doing but I guess that's why they were rated in the top 100.
    trent is freakishly strong
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,485
    Founders Club

whuggy said:

If Sonics mystery LB happens then all the talk about Banks will disappear. And no I don't know the mystery player.

It’s a mystery LB who may or may not visit. The UW coaches are trying. That sounds like a long shot to me.
    Yeah right now it's looking like a long shot. With last and this years class that's 8 LB's and he's getting scared off with the numbers especially after Smalls commitment. Never say never but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    Sounds like he’s a pussy and WDWHA
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    You guys are worse than doogman

Maybe you shouldnt drop LBs

When your LBs fucking suck
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

From a Final Four of UW, Bama, tOSU, and Oklahomo in a tweet that has since been deleted, to ASU.

I think he will do well there and Herm coaches up a strong defense with a good staff.

But it’s quite the fall for this kid. I feel bad for him. Gotta lock up your spot earlier and earlier these days.

Banks reached out to ASU LB coach Antonio Pierce and things moved quickly from there.

“AP is a great guy and a great coach," Banks said. “I hit him up and explained what was going on and he told me they definitely had a spot for me. We have a great connection and he told me they love how I play and said I would really fit in well there.”

“I talked to Herm Edwards too and that was really the first time I've had a chance to do that.”

Banks has visited ASU before but not since Herm Edwards and the new staff took over.

"I went a few years ago with Pro-Way, my 7v7 team," Banks said. "I visited a few times actually but not since coach Herm got there so I'm exited to get back.”

That says it all. The hot ticket of last summer had a cataclysmic fall and was not the “take no matter what” guy that BTP and LMC melted down about.

I thought he was really good and love adding talented kids, but when all the big hitters drop off and the kid has to call ASU and ask if there is a spot for him when he has never visited with the current staff, you know it’s bad.
    The meltdown was a joke, I mean you would have thought we dropped a five star recruit the way these guys were acting. He's mainly playing ILB this year and from what I heard the tape isn't very good. Major questions about his speed and quickness which is why everyone dropped him. ASU is desperate so they will take him but with our numbers no way could we take him with the guys left on our board.
    Alabama dropping him is one thing. Oklahoma and those pretty bad defenses dropping him is a major red flag. I actually thought Banks looked pretty good in his film, but he’s a tweener who right now is best as a DT probably. He can’t be a DT in college. Is a slightly smaller Ryan Bowman comp far off?
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    He is either going to be really good at ASU or he will be a guy that balled out in high school and didn't cut it in college
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oh yeah, you see the potential. It's really hard to contribute as a true freshman if you don't enroll early, that's why it's so impressive what Trent and Latu are doing but I guess that's why they were rated in the top 100.
    Not only that, they both shot up in their ranking history their last two years in high school. I’ve found that how you can differentiate a lot of the four star players. I’ve gotten a little into TBS lately and have noticed that some guys are trending up who rise every time a recurring analyst sees them and some fall. Both Latu and McDuffie were constant risers.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712

FirePete said:

These type of kids always end up at ASU. Herm has made it work so far.

I am still fucking pissed we did not take Merlin
    We were never going to offer Merlin. He had major red flags coming out of high school which is why ASU was the only school to take him. I know he had a great season last year as a true freshmen but since then he has been suspended twice and has looked out of shape and slow this year. He would have never worked out with our culture.
    What’s the point of having a strong culture if we can’t wield it to get buy in from talented kids from tough backgrounds or questionable makeup?

Any fucking coach can succeed with 85 BBKs or Nick Harrises.

A great college coach can get an Aaron Hernandez or Vontaze Burfict pulling in the right direction for the team. And that would make all the difference.

How badly do we want to get to the next level? Are we comfortable with winning the conference most years and losing NY6 bowls? Or do we want to beat Bama?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FirePete said:

We were never going to offer Merlin. He had major red flags coming out of high school which is why ASU was the only school to take him. I know he had a great season last year as a true freshmen but since then he has been suspended twice and has looked out of shape and slow this year. He would have never worked out with our culture.
    honestly, i think some of these kids like merlin could benefit from the culture that pete has developed. some of these kiids come really bad backgrounds. just to rule them out because some might has some trouble is dismissive. not saying we should load up on those kids. but selectively give 1 or 2 a chance.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

FirePete said:

What’s the point of having a strong culture if we can’t wield it to get buy in from talented kids from tough backgrounds or questionable makeup?

A great college coach can get an Aaron Hernandez or Vontaze Burfict pulling in the right direction for the team. And that would make all the difference.

How badly do we want to get to the next level? Are we comfortable with winning the conference most years and losing NY6 bowls? Or do we want to beat Bama?
    That’s pretty simplistic, but okay.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    FirePete said:

FirePete said:

honestly, i think some of these kids like merlin could benefit from the culture that pete has developed. some of these kiids come really bad backgrounds. just to rule them out because some might has some trouble is dismissive. not saying we should load up on those kids. but selectively give 1 or 2 a chance.
    They can also ruin your culture. Right now this roster is filled with hard working players with no diva tendency. You know how many coaches would kill for this type of roster?
  • Options
    edited October 2019

FirePete said:

That's never going to be Washington's culture. If that's what you want go follow a SEC team because Washington will never be a win at all cost type of program and Pete is on record saying that.