Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jordan Banks, 2020 4* Buck/LB, Harbor City (Narbonne), CA (NOT committed to Bama)

Comments

• Options
    JustWinNowJustWinNow Member Posts: 357
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    If he ends up at stdu thats weird how that would make 2 lbs that we some how let go and they went to be devils. I know recruiting is more complex then I make it out to be but come on at the end of the day we could have used those two lbs. Merlin and Banks.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    who says we could use Banks? Sounds like he just didn't fit our system. He played the same position as Smalls. We got Smalls. From what I've read, he couldn't handle ILB so he just doesn't work for us. Best of luck to him.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

These type of kids always end up at ASU. Herm has made it work so far.

I am still fucking pissed we did not take Merlin
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

We have had some misses in recruiting at LB and some bad luck. We lost 3 potential starters to injury or transfers in Beavers, Eifler, and Kaho. You lose three starters at any position, and your team is drastically worse. We are seeing it this year.

We also had Nick Bolton who is playing very well for Missouri. He’s better than Sirmon and Tafisi. Nobody cared when he decommitted. Some even were happy, but we would be better with him on our team. Another data point that nobody really knows what they are talking about a lot of the time.

I don’t remember if we stopped recruiting Weaver or not, but that was obviously a huge miss as well. He started out at Cal as a DE and maybe would not play ILB for us anyway.

It’s another data point on stacking good classes each year, but we did that to some extent. If we lost 3 DL or 3 DB’s, we would probably hurt there too, especially DL.

I don’t hate Gregory like a lot of you because I think he can really coach. Besides this year, ILB has been a strength. People forget Gregory was a very good DC for Cal. I’m not opposed to him moving on, but it’s far from a guarantee that it would benefit us. Yes, we want coaches that can both recruit and coach, but the coaching part doesn’t get enough attention due to the TBS obsession.

Dude he passed on Merlin
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Let Gregory walk and hire Cort Dennison

We like him better than Sirmon?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FirePete said:

We have had some misses in recruiting at LB and some bad luck. We lost 3 potential starters to injury or transfers in Beavers, Eifler, and Kaho. You lose three starters at any position, and your team is drastically worse. We are seeing it this year.

We also had Nick Bolton who is playing very well for Missouri. He’s better than Sirmon and Tafisi. Nobody cared when he decommitted. Some even were happy, but we would be better with him on our team. Another data point that nobody really knows what they are talking about a lot of the time.

I don’t remember if we stopped recruiting Weaver or not, but that was obviously a huge miss as well. He started out at Cal as a DE and maybe would not play ILB for us anyway.

It’s another data point on stacking good classes each year, but we did that to some extent. If we lost 3 DL or 3 DB’s, we would probably hurt there too, especially DL.

I don’t hate Gregory like a lot of you because I think he can really coach. Besides this year, ILB has been a strength. People forget Gregory was a very good DC for Cal. I’m not opposed to him moving on, but it’s far from a guarantee that it would benefit us. Yes, we want coaches that can both recruit and coach, but the coaching part doesn’t get enough attention due to the TBS obsession.

Dude he passed on Merlin
    If we took Bolton and Merlin over Tafisi and Sirmon we would be in a much better place. Evaluating is very fucking important. None of them were highly sought recruits. All were pretty mid level. We chose the wrong ones.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,631
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Let Gregory walk and hire Cort Dennison

We like him better than Sirmon?
    I don't.

I've had to forgive Sirmon for being the chief misinformation supplier to dawgman. I always thought he was a quality coach and recruiter though.

When Sark hired Wilcox and Sirmon away from Tenn, their fans were more upset about losing Sirmon than Wilcox due to his recruiting.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

FirePete said:

Dude he passed on Merlin
    If we took Bolton and Merlin over Tafisi and Sirmon we would be in a much better place. Evaluating is very fucking important. None of them were highly sought recruits. All were pretty mid level. We chose the wrong ones.
    Bolton had potential and was athletic but people here didn't seem to like his measurables. Too short and shit.

Merlin was awesome but the staff appeared to cool on him because of grades? Or because he had a kid? Not that having a kid is a no no since Murphy had one too.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,991
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

FirePete said:

Dude he passed on Merlin
    Merlin was a high level prospect. The west was just stacked at linebacker that year so maybe he was not a super high rating. He was certainly a better prospect than sirmon or tafisi who I still have not given up on. Just a different level of player though.

Gregory probably has a lot of knowledge and is a capable dc for many schools. When you are trying to win at a very high level though you can’t have a position coach let his group preform this poorly. And again, there is no fix on the horizon for it. It in all likelihood is going to cost us a conference title. That sucks.

These are things you can see in advance like with the previous wr coaches or what is likely to happen in a year or two at tight end.
  • Options
    TheDawgFan1227TheDawgFan1227 Member Posts: 335
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Can't blame a guy for going to The University of Arizona State