Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Steel and aluminum tariffs

Comments

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dflea said:

doogie said:

Had nothing to do with FED dumping assets.

Nothing at all.

Please explain why the tariffs will help this country? This will spark a trade war and the losers will be consumers.
    I actually don't mind tariffs. This is essentially a consumption tax. The more imported crap you use, the more you pay.

I kind of wish we just had a national sales tax vs income tax anyway. At least everyone pays for this tax.
    I could see how this could be your take - if you're a retarded weakling that needs tariffs to protect your shitty business model.

Go kill yourself, you tax loving donkey.
    @CirrhosisDawg POTD!!!!

Don't be a follower.

Be the lead dwag!!!!
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Woof said:

China accounts for about 2% of our steel imports. This doesn't do jack shit to them.

Our poutine-eating, hockey-loving brethren to the north and our mezcal and taco-making brethren to the south are the primary countries impacted, along with Brazil.

Sounds like the EU effects them more than us?

it may all be moot if China does join modern steel manufacturing. Their edge has been production like the US in the 19th century. Very dirty
    I can't find data, but I think it makes sense that Chinese steel could make it easier to Europe, or at least they compete for similar markets more frequently.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    salemcoog said:

dflea said:

doogie said:

Nothing at all.

Please explain why the tariffs will help this country? This will spark a trade war and the losers will be consumers.
    I actually don't mind tariffs. This is essentially a consumption tax. The more imported crap you use, the more you pay.

I kind of wish we just had a national sales tax vs income tax anyway. At least everyone pays for this tax.
    I could see how this could be your take - if you're a retarded weakling that needs tariffs to protect your shitty business model.

@CirrhosisDawg POTD!!!!

Don't be a follower.

Be the lead dwag!!!!
    Like I was saying. Here comes another fucking retard tariff defender.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    doogie said:

doogie said:

Nothing at all.

This shit doesn't happen in a vacuum, there will be reciprocal tariffs.

All this would do is raise the price of steel and increase the cost new construction. Offer subsidies if you want to prop up US companies, tariffs are the worst of all worlds.

Thankfully, Trump didn't sign it today when he could have, so it will likely be added to the litany of shitty ideas he hasn't implemented.
    Online Trading Academy was designed for simpletons just like you.

You should sign up and get RICH
    Hot trading smack from an advisor at Edward Jones.

The last time the US tried steel tariffs across the board, 200,000 jobs were lost and the US balked after reciprocal tariffs were threatened. Isolationist policies worked really well in the 20's, too.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    If I like my steel supplier, can I keep them?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Republicans pounced on President Donald Trump's plan Thursday to slap tariffs of 25 percent on imported steel and 10 percent on imported aluminum, warning that it will lead to a trade war and leave American consumers paying the price.

"New, huge tariffs on all kinds of imported steel is a big mistake that will increase costs on American consumers, cost our country jobs, and invite retaliation from other countries," said Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Penn.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/amp/trump-slaps-tariffs-steel-aluminum-starting-next-week-n852341
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Cue globalist free market zombies
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    dflea said:

doogie said:

Nothing at all.

If you buy foreign cars you pay a premium. Big fucking deal.

Who even thinks this thing will pass? It’s postering. A nutless monkey can see that.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221

dflea said:

doogie said:

Nothing at all.

Who even thinks this thing will pass? It’s postering. A nutless monkey can see that.
    Yeah. Hyundai's and Kia's cost a fucking fortune.

You're a nutless monkey.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

dflea said:

doogie said:

Nothing at all.

No one does but its sure is fun to freak out about it!
    This decision isn't going to require a senate vote, if Trump follows through it will go into effect.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Woof said:

Woof said:

China accounts for about 2% of our steel imports. This doesn't do jack shit to them.

Our poutine-eating, hockey-loving brethren to the north and our mezcal and taco-making brethren to the south are the primary countries impacted, along with Brazil.

it may all be moot if China does join modern steel manufacturing. Their edge has been production like the US in the 19th century. Very dirty
    I can't find data, but I think it makes sense that Chinese steel could make it easier to Europe, or at least they compete for similar markets more frequently.
    Not a big fan of this particular action, but who's steel goes where is meaningless...its a commodity and an optimization of shipping prices and nothing more. That is why its a pretty good bet whoever was the journalist moron that wrote the original article highlighting this does not understand the basics of a supply and demand curve.

China produces 50% of the global steel (and about 10x of what the US produces)...thinking this isn't aimed straight at them is FS.

Will be interesting to see the outrage if and when Trump really does cancel NAFTA like I think he actually might (and should)...if it happens it should be in a month or two.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Woof said:

Woof said:

Not a big fan of this particular action, but who's steel goes where is meaningless...its a commodity and an optimization of shipping prices and nothing more. That is why its a pretty good bet whoever was the journalist moron that wrote the original article highlighting this does not understand the basics of a supply and demand curve.

China produces 50% of the global steel (and about 10x of what the US produces)...thinking this isn't aimed straight at them is FS.

Will be interesting to see the outrage if and when Trump really does cancel NAFTA like I think he actually might (and should)...if it happens it should be in a month or two.
    BUT....BUT.... The stock market dropped 200 points!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Woof said:

Woof said:

Then they can aim it straight at them. The tariffs he's proposing are global.