Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Steel and aluminum tariffs

Comments

• Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

The pipeline Bloomberg bit is funny...they don't understand the total costs of pipelines (it ain't just steel). Not as dumb as HondoFS' new sidekick (HI CirrhosisoftheBrain), but amusing...

As for why aluminum and steel were chosen its a direct shot at China...the media and a few folks around here appear too dumb to realize this. For those that don't think this look at this story from about a year ago:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/a-chinese-billionaire-may-have-hidden-6-of-the-worlds-aluminum-in-the-mexican-desert-2016-9

Why exactly would a Chinese billionaire store 6% of the world's aluminum in a desert in Mexico along the US border if it wasn't to illegally get it to the US via NAFTA? And for this and a few others caught I guarantee there is at least 10x more coming through illegally. The best part was the end when he said 'my bad...we really meant to send that to Vietnam.'

That said I'm assuming this is more of a negotiating ploy than anything else...long term I'm ok with China subsidizing our raw materials...the balance in trade has to be in respecting intellectual property (they don't), opening up their markets to our finished products (they don't unless their specific market isn't caught up enough to make it themselves), and opening up their internal businesses to non-Chinese investments. And we have an inertia of 30 years of politicians not really caring...I'll believe that actually changed when I see some of those things addressed.

It's not just Bloomberg, the entire oil and natural gas industry has slammed the tariffs. This is what AOPL said but I'm sure that HoustoFS knows better.

AOPL said the ICF study indicated that trade or material purchasing restrictions that raised pipe costs 25% would translate into a $76 million cost increase for a 280-mile pipeline project. Tariffs on steel or welded pipe could delay or cancel new projects and end up hurting American workers through less pipeline construction, AOPL said.

Addressing the steel market, AOPL said U.S. firms do not make enough pipeline-grade steel that must meet high quality specifications to protect against cracking or flaws that are not required for other steel products. Pipeline-grade steel is such a niche market -– at 3% of the total steel market -– that U.S. steel producers largely exited the business due to lower margins and chose to focus on higher volume products such as steel for cars and appliances, AOPL said.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Sounds grand, but "material" is only about 15% of the total cost of a pipeline...labor is the largest chunk of it, transportation of the pipes, land rights, etc. etc. So a 25% tariff on steel means the actual pipeline costs only go up less than 4%...

A public reference from a couple years ago...
    https://www.ogj.com/articles/print/volume-112/issue-9/special-report-pipeline-economics/crude-oil-pipeline-growth-revenues-surge-construction-costs-mount.html

Like I said, the Bloomberg guy was a moron...
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

Sounds grand, but "material" is only about 15% of the total cost of a pipeline...labor is the largest chunk of it, transportation of the pipes, land rights, etc. etc. So a 25% tariff on steel means the actual pipeline costs only go up less than 4%...

https://www.ogj.com/articles/print/volume-112/issue-9/special-report-pipeline-economics/crude-oil-pipeline-growth-revenues-surge-construction-costs-mount.html

Look at the trumpanzees rationalizing and justifying their desire to fuck over consumers to protect the useless and unproductive. Cars? Energy? They will only cost a little bit more...
    Same arguments unions and minimum wage advocates use. Same arguments from everyone who can’t compete on their own.
  • Options

Yeah, what a moron! So if a 25% tariff is so trumptastic why not make it 100%? 200%?

Just think how great things will be then! Just like increasing the minimum wage makes us all wealthier. More protection for uneconomic US assets the better!
  • Options

2001400ex said:

doogie said:
    There are dumb fucking Democrats too. Your point?
    Tariffs & protectionism is a long union/Dem position. How I love the hypocrisy on parade.
    True. The GOP deserves credit for its historical opposition to tariffs as self-defeating stupidity. Except for for a few lonely and feeble voices of opposition to this, where is the GOP now?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

2001400ex said:

doogie said:
    There are dumb fucking Democrats too. Your point?
    Tariffs & protectionism is a long union/Dem position. How I love the hypocrisy on parade.
    Wasn't it Clinton who showered before N AFTA banging Monica? I mean wasn't it Clinton that pimped NAFTA?
  • Options
    Always grand when one dumb response is not good enough so CirrhosisoftheBrain hits reply twice and still ignores all the salient points.

HondoFS must be proud...
  • Options

Always grand when one dumb response is not good enough so CirrhosisoftheBrain hits reply twice and still ignores all the salient points.

HondoFS must be proud...

Please. Go on defending tariffs and protectionism. You are a font of “salient” points about fucking over consumers to protect inefficiency and obsolescence.

It’s always grand.
  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Even if I take your numbers at face value a 4% increase on a several hundred million dollar pipeline isn't non trivial. I'm sure you would be happy to eat a 4% increase in your income or property taxes because it's only 4%, right?

The major oil and natural gas trade groups already came out against the tariff. Bloomberg and the other outlets are now just reporting on it. But if HoustoFS says that it's not a big deal then I guess I should just dismiss what the entire industry is saying.
  • Options
    RedRocket said:

Even if I take your numbers at face value a 4% increase on a several hundred million dollar pipeline isn't non trivial. I'm sure you would be happy to eat a 4% increase in your income or property taxes because it's only 4%, right?

The major oil and natural gas trade groups already came out against the tariff. Bloomberg and the other outlets are now just reporting on it. But if HoustoFS says that it's not a big deal then I guess I should just dismiss what the entire industry is saying.
    Even if?

A several hundred million dollar pipeline is a cheap pipeline...but you can't generate the hysteria by saying their costs are going up 3-4% as you can saying their costs are going up 25%. Especially since all these oil companies just got a significant corporate tax cut (most of the midstream guys are MLPs and get out of that though...).

I'm sure they did and more power to them...that's the system we have. My point is just my opinion as to why you are seeing this...i.e. its directly pointed at China and the NAFTA agreement negotiations currently going on, and its not nearly as significant as the hysterical folks would have you believe. I'm all for China subsidizing our raw materials...but I'm also all for actual free and fair trade back and forth with them which is anything but what we currently have.

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

RedRocket said:

Even if?

A several hundred million dollar pipeline is a cheap pipeline...but you can't generate the hysteria by saying their costs are going up 3-4% as you can saying their costs are going up 25%. Especially since all these oil companies just got a significant corporate tax cut (most of the midstream guys are MLPs and get out of that though...).

I'm sure they did and more power to them...that's the system we have. My point is just my opinion as to why you are seeing this...i.e. its directly pointed at China and the NAFTA agreement negotiations currently going on, and its not nearly as significant as the hysterical folks would have you believe. I'm all for China subsidizing our raw materials...but I'm also all for actual free and fair trade back and forth with them which is anything but what we currently have.

I seem to remember you freaking out about the 2.3% medical device tax. Now 4% doesn't matter.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    @HoustonHusky is one of a few people on this bored who probably understands the full macro implications of tariffs.

The rest of you are fucking idiots overreacting because the word Trump is involved and like Pavlov's dog you start mouth breathing the second you see his name.

If anyone believes the tariffs are meant for the long run, you're an idiot.

Trump is setting in motion a number of steps, he, and his administration, believes will bring jobs to America. And, those jobs will be found among his base.

Tariffs are negotiation tools.

Even those who wash Obama's balls know he tinkered with Tariffs, difference is he didn't have a spine to negotiate with.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    2001400ex said:

RedRocket said:

Even if?

I seem to remember you freaking out about the 2.3% medical device tax. Now 4% doesn't matter.

• Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Watching toppy hug Houston's nuts is as funny as watching Houston hug Trump's nuts.

I know about tariffs on a macro level, fuckface. I know virtually every economist will say they're stupid and ineffective and only lead to higher prices. Then there's retarded twats like you and Houston who support higher consumer prices because you just gotta wash Trump's balls like the faggot you are.

Gee, let's roll back regulations to save costs - and then implement tariffs.......to raise costs.

You're a fucking retard, toppy.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Protectionism. Like screwing your wife's best friend, it feels good in the moment. Eventually, it becomes the worst decision you ever made.

• Options

doogie said:

Had nothing to do with FED dumping assets.

Nothing at all.

Please explain why the tariffs will help this country? This will spark a trade war and the losers will be consumers.
    I actually don't mind tariffs. This is essentially a consumption tax. The more imported crap you use, the more you pay.

I kind of wish we just had a national sales tax vs income tax anyway. At least everyone pays for this tax.
    That's because you're a dumb Oregon Duck.
  • Options

Woof said:

China accounts for about 2% of our steel imports. This doesn't do jack shit to them.

Our poutine-eating, hockey-loving brethren to the north and our mezcal and taco-making brethren to the south are the primary countries impacted, along with Brazil.

Sounds like the EU effects them more than us?

it may all be moot if China does join modern steel manufacturing. Their edge has been production like the US in the 19th century. Very dirty
    You know why.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    dflea said:

Watching toppy hug Houston's nuts is as funny as watching Houston hug Trump's nuts.

I know about tariffs on a macro level, fuckface. I know virtually every economist will say they're stupid and ineffective and only lead to higher prices. Then there's retarded twats like you and Houston who support higher consumer prices because you just gotta wash Trump's balls like the faggot you are.

Gee, let's roll back regulations to save costs - and then implement tariffs.......to raise costs.

You're a fucking retard, toppy.

You're as predictable as a morning shit.

You're knowledge of tariffs is about the same level of understanding, of that I am sure.

Implemented tariffs don't work. However, in negotiations, the threat does work. Of course nothing works if don't have a purpose to threaten the tariff.

I assume, since you are hurling insults and being an Interwebs tuff guy, you now what the larger purpose is and why Trump is doing what he is.

I don't know, or even pretend to know why Trump is doing it. But when the dust settles he'll be held accountable at the ballot box.

You'll spout off and be the tuff guy you are and make fun of Trump.

Just like you did when he ran his campaign that went 18-0 against some of the biggest names in political history.

In the end, you're just a dumb fuck who strokes his meat pretending to be something you're not.