Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Are you guys scared of Bernie yet?

Comments

• dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326

dhdawg said:

What I like about sanders is he is mostly a libertarian when it comes to civil stuff like NSA, guns, etc.
    There is some stuff to like. My disdain for him and his candidacy has more to do with his voter base (the pc, pussy far left who I can't stand) than he himself.
    He's also not really someone that commands respect in a room full of world leaders

There are definitely some annoying liberals (hippies, professional student activist types, pussy hipster guys who carry the baby while the annoying bitch wife carries zilch) but so what? There are annoying people who support any candidate. Just don't interact with them.

People paint him as some far left outlier, but in Europe he wouldn't raise any eyebrows. 99% of what he says is just straight forward and common sense to most people. I can understand how the Chatch wouldn't want his taxes to go up, but for most people, his message ought to resonate or at least seem semi-reasonable.

The way this country is trending, it will like a banana republic in 25 years, and that's not an exaggeration. Maybe people won't live in huts and make tortillas and be illiterate, but the richest 400 families will continue to just accumulate wealth while almost everyone else gets screwed. I don't hear many other politicians laying out any real plans to end that.
    I get it, but when you live and seattle and spend most of your time around them it gets especially annoying. I'm sure it would be the other way around if I lived in mississippi around a bunch of hillbilly fascist conservatives
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,027 Founders Club

The reason no politician has a serious plan for "income inequality" is because it isn't a serious issue and there isn't a solution that American voters would go for.

It's red meat for the left base. It's the politics of envy.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have no negative effect on my ability to earn money. It is not a set pie.

The last attempt to "fix" this problem was a cap on CEO pay that led to CEO types getting their income based on bonuses tied to stock performance that ended up making them far more money.

It's almost like the rich win regardless of the rules of the game. spend less time worrying about them and more time building your own wealth. You'll be happier

Yeah, but I think everyone should be able to get a loan for a house. :smile:
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849

dhdawg said:

PurpleJ said:

I'm not worried about Bernie. I'm worried about the idiots that believe his policies will make thing better. Wealth redistribution will not make us better off as a nation.

We had wealth redistribution to the top for decades.

And here we are
    I don't necessarily disagree. I'm Just not sure he's the answer. His free college bullshit is what turns me off though
    And people that feel that way are making it very clear that they don't give a fuck about this country. It's only about your bank account.

Making college free is two things. The first is it makes it high school 2.0. Which it fucking is. College isn't what people use to talk about. Everyone goes. It's the new high school diploma. Second, is it saves the people a shit load of money. YES, you'll have to pay for people to go to college and that sucks. But every future generation will save a fucking assload because they won't be paying off debt they'll be paying back the money they got to go college without interest.
    The world needs ditch diggers Son. Hundreds of thousands of students with BA's have found them to be useless. The whole system of higher ed needs to be turned upon it's ear and made more vocational in nature.

Not the way it's paid for. Or should I say how it's NOT paid for in your world at least by the end user.

I swear Bernie is Louis Black trolling people.

And 100% agree about free college for service. That's what my wife did/does. Getting her masters next year for serive in the army.
    Yes I'm an army dude wife.

Be sure to thank her for her service.

It was appreciated.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228

Censored posts.

I figured it would come one day... just thought this site might say something about it first.

Keep it real gang.

I'm Out.

nogaf
  • section8section8 Member Posts: 1,581

The reason no politician has a serious plan for "income inequality" is because it isn't a serious issue and there isn't a solution that American voters would go for.

It's red meat for the left base. It's the politics of envy.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have no negative effect on my ability to earn money. It is not a set pie.

The last attempt to "fix" this problem was a cap on CEO pay that led to CEO types getting their income based on bonuses tied to stock performance that ended up making them far more money.

It's almost like the rich win regardless of the rules of the game. spend less time worrying about them and more time building your own wealth. You'll be happier

Exactly. In that example it's the exact opposite, Bill created a company that employs 100,000 people directly in good paying jobs not to mention that Microsoft played a large part in creation of a massive tech industry that employs millions more. Whats wrong with that?

IMO its all just jealousy and the myth perpetuated by hipster pussies that can't deal with having to work for a living that somehow these CEO/Billionaires magically just get paid money for no reason.

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,491 Standard Supporter

salemcoog said:

dhdawg said:

PurpleJ said:

I'm not worried about Bernie. I'm worried about the idiots that believe his policies will make thing better. Wealth redistribution will not make us better off as a nation.

And here we are
    I don't necessarily disagree. I'm Just not sure he's the answer. His free college bullshit is what turns me off though
    And people that feel that way are making it very clear that they don't give a fuck about this country. It's only about your bank account.

Making college free is two things. The first is it makes it high school 2.0. Which it fucking is. College isn't what people use to talk about. Everyone goes. It's the new high school diploma. Second, is it saves the people a shit load of money. YES, you'll have to pay for people to go to college and that sucks. But every future generation will save a fucking assload because they won't be paying off debt they'll be paying back the money they got to go college without interest.
    The world needs ditch diggers Son.

That's why we have machines and Mexicans.
    Bring on el singulario
  • section8section8 Member Posts: 1,581
    salemcoog said:

dhdawg said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are

The world needs ditch diggers Son. Hundreds of thousands of students with BA's have found them to be useless. The whole system of higher ed needs to be turned upon it's ear and made more vocational in nature.

Not the way it's paid for. Or should I say how it's NOT paid for in your world at least by the end user.

I've got friend in England that took a test in about 8th grade that determined he should move onto a more vocationally focused track in high school. Spent the next four years learning carpentry, electrical, some plumbing, did some apprenticeship through school and had multiple job offers by the time he graduated because he was experienced and ready for the workforce.

Blow up the system and rebuild it to actually be helpful to kids graduating. Not everyone has interest in college and high school is primarily geared towards traditional college readiness.

• AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    section8 said:

salemcoog said:

dhdawg said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are

I've got friend in England that took a test in about 8th grade that determined he should move onto a more vocationally focused track in high school. Spent the next four years learning carpentry, electrical, some plumbing, did some apprenticeship through school and had multiple job offers by the time he graduated because he was experienced and ready for the workforce.

Blow up the system and rebuild it to actually be helpful to kids graduating. Not everyone has interest in college and high school is primarily geared towards traditional college readiness.

This is right in line with the kind of stuff that Mike Rowe talks about all the time. Trying to prepare everybody for college (and failing at that because it is an unrealistic goal) is a waste of resources and a major disservice to many.
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,703 Founders Club
    The wolf! Are you a pilot and, if so, have you blown shit up in one of those? Fuck that would be so much fun. I like what you and crazy8 are talking about here. A lot of the more talented carpenters, electricians, mechanics, plumbers etc. can make a really good living in their respective careers. How do the Brits determine whether a kid can go onto college? If you don't test well enough are you screwed and forced to go into the trades? How would you guys suggest we do this here in the states because I agree with you that college isn't for the vast majority of people who waste their time and money trying to get that degree.
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840

The wolf! Are you a pilot and, if so, have you blown shit up in one of those? Fuck that would be so much fun. I like what you and crazy8 are talking about here. A lot of the more talented carpenters, electricians, mechanics, plumbers etc. can make a really good living in their respective careers. How do the Brits determine whether a kid can go onto college? If you don't test well enough are you screwed and forced to go into the trades? How would you guys suggest we do this here in the states because I agree with you that college isn't for the vast majority of people who waste their time and money trying to get that degree.

I definitely fly fictional helicopters, but it's a hobby, not a vocation.

From what I know, many European countries start channelling kids into vocational tracks from the time they are maybe mid-way through high school. From what I can tell, it is somewhat of an involuntary thing. I don't like that aspect of the European system at all. But Europeans care a lot less about personal freedoms than real Americans do, in general.

But better vocational training should be available in American public high schools. And public high schools shouldn't be captive to the foolish notion that everybody should go to college. Nor should they perpetuate it.

Even today, there are a lot of good opportunities out there for people that have skills in the trades. Many of those jobs are incredibly difficult to fill, because of the lack of qualified applicants. Yet we have an abundance of Millenial Occupy Wall Street shit-stains whining about their inability to service their student debt because their Womens' Studies and/or French Lit degrees are worthless. What a world.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited January 2016

dhdawg said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are

A lot of people have already touched on this, but I'll chime in as well.

If college is free, what is a students incentive to excel? There is no fear of dropping out or majoring in subjects like underwater basket weaving. The college loan is their consequence for treating college irresponsibly. Also, just like any other program the government sinks it's teeth into, the costs will skyrocket.

We live in the greatest country in the world. We are one of a handful of countries that give people the freedom to succeed. The natural consequence of this, is that they also have the freedom to fail. Would you rather live in a country that prevents you from failing, but holds you back from accomplishing personal wealth, or would you want to live in a country that lets you fail, but provides the framework for you to reach your highest potential? I don't think there's much debate.

You can't have your cake and eat it to. Entitlements always come with a price. You look at countries like Russia, China, etc. Their citizens get what they need to survive, but not much else. That cost is personal freedom.

2001400ex said:

The Bern is garnering media interest because he's climbing in the polls. However, he is still way behind Clinton according to some polling such as this:

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/poll-clinton-holds-25-point-national-lead-over-sanders-n498071

Actually Hillary is a good campaigner. You can disagree with her politics. But the Clinton machine is powerful in politics. And right now she's doing what she needs to, basically lie low and not do or say much.

Sincerely,

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    AIRWOLF said:

salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

The Bern is garnering media interest because he's climbing in the polls. However, he is still way behind Clinton according to some polling such as this:

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/poll-clinton-holds-25-point-national-lead-over-sanders-n498071

Actually Hillary is a good campaigner. You can disagree with her politics. But the Clinton machine is powerful in politics. And right now she's doing what she needs to, basically lie low and not do or say much.

Sincerely,

She is a contemptible person. Not only that, she is particularly transparent in her lack of any real convictions. While I have no doubt she is generally liberal-ish, the only specific thing I am sure she believes in is that she absolutely deserves to be be POTUS. And in this case, I mean deserves in the sense that it is something she is entitled to.
    This is Hillary to fucking tee. Spot on.

As I've said multiple times, Bernie's politics scare me a lot worse than Hillary, but he's he's one of the rare politicians who tells you the truth about what he wants to accomplish. Hillary's lack of integrity stands out, even for a politician.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,969 Standard Supporter
    AIRWOLF said:

From what I know, many European countries start channelling kids into vocational tracks from the time they are maybe mid-way through high school. From what I can tell, it is somewhat of an involuntary thing. I don't like that aspect of the European system at all. But Europeans care a lot less about personal freedoms than real Americans do, in general.

But better vocational training should be available in American public high schools. And public high schools shouldn't be captive to the foolish notion that everybody should go to college. Nor should they perpetuate it.

Even today, there are a lot of good opportunities out there for people that have skills in the trades. Many of those jobs are incredibly difficult to fill, because of the lack of qualified applicants. Yet we have an abundance of Millenial Occupy Wall Street shit-stains whining about their inability to service their student debt because their Womens' Studies and/or French Lit degrees are worthless. What a world.

This. I've always believed that the US should adopt a more European-style of educating their children. Unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon because:
    1) some believe funneling off kids to certain tracks damages their self esteem (which is a joke, since kids are bright enough to spot who among their peers excels at sports, reading, etc. as early as grade school - in fact, I think shoehorning them into ill fitting courses of study messes up their self worth far more than anything)
    2) sadly going into a trade is still stigmatized in certain circles - back when I was in high school if you were put in Advanced Placement/Honors classes you were praised, and anyone who took auto shop or anything of a vocational nature were stereotyped as being less intelligent or ambitious
    3) colleges and universities are (let's call them what they are) huge business - I'm sure the people that run them will do anything to belittle if not quash anyone who tries to take away their future customers
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Some of you don't realize:

1) vocational school actually exists in America.

2) high school isn't geared toward college. It's geared towards babysitting high school kids while trying to keep funding up.

3) some kids don't give a shit about any school, let alone vocational.

4) trying to convince kids based on a test that they don't belong in high school, but in a separate vocational school, is some straight up communist bullshit right out of Russia.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,027 Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

4) trying to convince kids based on a test that they don't belong in high school, but in a separate vocational school, is some straight up communist bullshit right out of Russia.

It would have really helped you out.

#ditchdigger
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,713 Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

Some of you don't realize:

1) vocational school actually exists in America.

2) high school isn't geared toward college. It's geared towards babysitting high school kids while trying to keep funding up.

3) some kids don't give a shit about any school, let alone vocational.

Pushpin this bitch. I actually agree with Honda on a couple points here.