Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Are you guys scared of Bernie yet?

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,821 Founders Club

20% of democrats are for Trump in polling.

Great pre-season rankings post.
    Your just jealous Bernie didn't win the off season Presidency
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,597 Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

I'm not worried about Bernie. I'm worried about the idiots that believe his policies will make thing better. Wealth redistribution will not make us better off as a nation.

We had wealth redistribution to the top for decades.

And here we are
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,027 Founders Club

PurpleJ said:

I'm not worried about Bernie. I'm worried about the idiots that believe his policies will make thing better. Wealth redistribution will not make us better off as a nation.

And here we are
    And that flow to the top correlates very strongly with the growth of the government. Even if the government is trying to help they make it worse. Simple fact.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,597 Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are
    And that flow to the top correlates very strongly with the growth of the government. Even if the government is trying to help they make it worse. Simple fact.
    What are you talking about J?
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are
    How do you figure? Government has been mostly stagnant since the recession and wealth has exploded.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,157 Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are
    How do you figure? Government has been mostly stagnant since the recession and wealth has exploded.
    Wealth steps in when masses run. Like clockwork.

It's only a bad thing when their bets pay off - because you're fucking jealous they made a bet you didn't have the balls to.

You have no idea what it really means to risk.

pawz said:

2001400ex said:

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are
    Wealth steps in when masses run. Like clockwork.

It's only a bad thing when their bets pay off - because you're fucking jealous they made a bet you didn't have the balls to.

You have no idea what it really means to risk.

Lol you have to idea what it really means to put a coherent thought together.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    edited January 2016

PurpleJ said:

And here we are
    I don't necessarily disagree. I'm Just not sure he's the answer. His free college bullshit is what turns me off though
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    dhdawg said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are
    I don't necessarily disagree. I'm Just not sure he's the answer. His free college bullshit is what turns me off though
    And people that feel that way are making it very clear that they don't give a fuck about this country. It's only about your bank account.

Making college free is two things. The first is it makes it high school 2.0. Which it fucking is. College isn't what people use to talk about. Everyone goes. It's the new high school diploma. Second, is it saves the people a shit load of money. YES, you'll have to pay for people to go to college and that sucks. But every future generation will save a fucking assload because they won't be paying off debt they'll be paying back the money they got to go college without interest.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club

dhdawg said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are
    And people that feel that way are making it very clear that they don't give a fuck about this country. It's only about your bank account.

Making college free is two things. The first is it makes it high school 2.0. Which it fucking is. College isn't what people use to talk about. Everyone goes. It's the new high school diploma. Second, is it saves the people a shit load of money. YES, you'll have to pay for people to go to college and that sucks. But every future generation will save a fucking assload because they won't be paying off debt they'll be paying back the money they got to go college without interest.
    That would be an asinine misuse of public funds and it would NOT save money. In fact it would simply shift the burden and result in higher education costs. Too many people are going to college for the wrong reasons as it is, simply extending their adolescence while getting worthless degrees that add little or no value. Taking virtually all financial responsibility out of the equation will simply increase the numbers while simultaneously causing ever more cost escalation as demand would be artificially increased.

dhdawg said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are

That would be an asinine misuse of public funds and it would NOT save money. In fact it would simply shift the burden and result in higher education costs. Too many people are going to college for the wrong reasons as it is, simply extending their adolescence while getting worthless degrees that add little or no value. Taking virtually all financial responsibility out of the equation will simply increase the numbers while simultaneously causing ever more cost escalation as demand would be artificially increased.

Exactly. College is supposed to be about training for work. It's now just an extension of high school.
    If someone who got a 3.9 and a 33 act wants to get a degree in medicine but can't afford it I'm all for adding scholarships and grants for that. Blanket shit like free college for all though is dumb
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are

Exactly. College is supposed to be about training for work. It's now just an extension of high school.
    If someone who got a 3.9 and a 33 act wants to get a degree in medicine but can't afford it I'm all for adding scholarships and grants for that. Blanket shit like free college for all though is dumb
    Scholarships, loans and grants are already available for folks in that boat, and their income earning potential provides them a means to get out of debt in a reasonable amount of time.

There are alternatives as well. Cut costs by doing your first two years at a community college. Live at home or with room mates. Work part or full time while you're in school to help make ends meet. If you're really serious about getting an education you'll find a way, and I can tell you from personal experience that people who operate this way tend to make much better employees and have greater success in the work place.
    PurpleJ said:

What's wrong with getting free college via military service? I know lots of guys who did that.

Totally agree, but I wouldn't call that free. It's a benefit given for service, and damn well deserved.

dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

PurpleJ said:

And here we are

Disagree. College is for higher education - whatever purpose that may be including disciplines upon which may translate to professions such as business, law or medicine (most of which require ADDITIONAL higher education). It's not simply about 'training for a job'. That's the fallacy people have fallen into - that having a degree is the logical step to being a productive, income-earning citizen. If anything, it's saddle countless kids with debt who shouldn't have been in college in the first. place.

The problem is the secondary education system has been morphed into simply a test-taking mechanism so there are gluts of poli-sci, history, sociology, psychology bullshit majors that simply cannot utilize the number of graduates pumped out out colleges. There's only so many slots available for medical school or law school or teaching. And if that's the case, students get parked elsewhere in deciding their 'major'.

At the high school level, there is hardly any attention any more to wood shop or metal shop or auto repair. So the millenial fucks think the only avenue to pass their test of head off to State U. In fact, they should be been exposed to some of the trades and encouraged to get into a technical program and/or apprenticeship right out of high school. Instead they fuck around running up student debt at a university they shouldn't have been in the first place.

Not every kid is destined to be upper/upper middle class. Some are going to have to grind it out at the auto repair shop or building houses. And some of those, once they get it figured out will start their own companies. Rinse.repeat.

We have fucked our kids with the must-go-to-college mandate. We have fucked ourselves by allowing the colleges to become so competitive for admissions (because, well, there is HUGE demand to go to college if everybody tries to get in so prices go up).
    And free college is only going to make it worse.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,027 Founders Club

PurpleJ said:

What's wrong with getting free college via military service? I know lots of guys who did that.

Totally agree, but I wouldn't call that free. It's a benefit given for service, and damn well deserved.
    Freedom isn't free.
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

Freedom isn't free.
    No it's not, but it's surely taken for granted by way too many.
    You guys are wasting a lot of bandwidth arguing something that'll never happen. Bernie could win with 81% of the vote and he'd never get free college.

HTH