Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Billy Graham sells the couch

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,964

I respected that Graham, at least, tried to maintain an a-political stance as opposed to being completely in the bag for the right- e.g., like Jerry Falwell.

Oh come on. You're better than this.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    BearsWiin said:

I respected that Graham, at least, tried to maintain an a-political stance as opposed to being completely in the bag for the right- e.g., like Jerry Falwell.

It's cute that you think this.
    Why does someone who lived their life genuinely righteous 99% of the time shame you?

Noted Godless Heathen heard from.
    edited February 2018
    salemcoog said:

Noted Godless Heathen heard from.
    From the guy who sucked dick at WSU to "see what it was like." Jeebus. Relax Kewg.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,024
    salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Why does someone who lived their life genuinely righteous 99% of the time shame you?
    We all do. It's what we do in that 1%, when the decisions are hard, when doing the right thing might not be the easy thing, that separate decent people from lousy assholes.

The man amassed wealth and influence acting as a purveyor of spiritual snake oil, and he laid the groundwork for others, including his own spawn, to use the religious right as a political force for shitty policy over the last four decades.
    BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

We all do. It's what we do in that 1%, when the decisions are hard, when doing the right thing might not be the easy thing, that separate decent people from lousy assholes.

The man amassed wealth and influence acting as a purveyor of spiritual snake oil, and he laid the groundwork for others, including his own spawn, to use the religious right as a political force for shitty policy over the last four decades.
    Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Btw, Salem isn't even close to 99%. Frankly, none of us are. I'll bet Billy wasn't either.

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Btw, Salem isn't even close to 99%. Frankly, none of us are. I'll bet Billy wasn't either.
    We're evolved to be cooperative; it conveys a huge survival advantage, and we do it so much that we don't even think about it most of the time. We don't need Christ in our hearts to act nicely to each other.
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

We're evolved to be cooperative; it conveys a huge survival advantage, and we do it so much that we don't even think about it most of the time. We don't need Christ in our hearts to act nicely to each other.
    Agreed.

Also agreed that, while Graham was a lot more tolerable in his M/O than the typical evangelical, he did commit the hubris of making snake oil salesmen acceptable to broad range of people.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,968 Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

I'm a cooperative mood today and not ripping Graham too hard is all.
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Yes, I know it's cute. But he wasn't nearly as bad of some of the evangelical right. He never joined the Moral Majority for example.
    He just laid the groundwork for it.
    I'd agree that he's culpable to some extent. Law of unintended consequences I suppose.

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Agreed.

Also agreed that, while Graham was a lot more tolerable in his M/O than the typical evangelical, he did commit the hubris of making snake oil salesmen acceptable to broad range of people.
    I don't let Plekhanov off the hook for what Lenin did

I try to show restraint Creep.
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Agreed.

Likewise, Lenin for Stalin and every other shit who's fucked the world in the name of redistribution and fundamental fairness.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited February 2018
    Billy Graham sells the couch pew

Fixed

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Agreed.

Likewise, Lenin for Stalin and every other shit who's fucked the world in the name of redistribution and fundamental fairness.
    Come on now, everyone in St. Petersburg knew it was time for a change, and to kill the Czar and his minsters while Anastasia screamed in vain.

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Agreed.

Come on now, everyone in St. Petersburg knew it was time for a change, and to kill the Czar and his minsters while Anastasia screamed in vain.
    Errbody in the West slobbers over Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago, but the masterpiece of Soviet fiction was Bulgakov's Master and Margarita. Major props to Jagger and Co. for the literary reference.
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Agreed.

Errbody in the West slobbers over Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago, but the masterpiece of Soviet fiction was Bulgakov's Master and Margarita. Major props to Jagger and Co. for the literary reference.
    Julie Christie was so hot though!!

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

But you need something bigger than yourself... No???
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

But you need something bigger than yourself... No???
    No.

Stop being a pussy.
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Agreed.

Julie Christie was so hot though!!

gotta love HH; thread on the death of an iconic pastor becomes Julie Christie sideboob in fewer than two pages

Christ, you could, at least, give me one fucking Chin, you bastard. But then if you did that I'd have to take it as a miracle and start believing in god.