Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Billy Graham sells the couch

Comments

• LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,300
    doogie said:

St Peter LoneStarDawg has Spoken

I denied Jake Lockner three times before the booster showed
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,495 Founders Club
    Random chance seems so random
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,964
    BearsWiin said:

And I don't know that we have a soul. We are meat sacks, supporting a marginally self-aware nerve bundle that is tasked with propelling our DNA into the future. That marginally self-aware nerve bundle is packed with basic instructions and the potential for shell programs to be laid on top, largely determined by the DNA that it inherited from its parents, but soul? Something that exists outside the physical realm? I don't see it. Do people with dementia or Alzheimers have an eternal soul that remains intact while their brains and cognitive abilities erode? Do schizophrenics have multiple souls? What about elephants and whales, whose brains are larger and possibly more complex than ours, but they don't have opposable thumbs and a language that we recognize? It would seem to me that if you believe in the concept of a soul, you pretty much have to believe in a God of some sort.

Why do you hate Descartes?
    doogie said:

"If you went for a walk in the woods, but then decided to wander off the path, and found yourself surrounded by a thicket of thorns and poison ivy, who would you blame? Would you blame the person who built the path? No, of course not. Instead you’d blame yourself if you were honest, because you alone were responsible for wandering from the path.
    In a far deeper way, this is what happens when we decide to leave God out of our lives. For a time, it may seem like wandering away from Him doesn’t make any difference; it may even seem easier and freer. But eventually it catches up with us—just as wandering off that path and into the thicket caught up with you." —Billy Graham #BG100

I just realized something: I already knew you were stupid. So never mind.
    edited February 2018

To the Throbber's way of thinking, it takes way more faith to definitely dismiss the existence of a higher power than to contemplate the possible existence thereof.

Science and shit is pretty persuasive - but even those fuckers thought the world was flat and the sun revolved around the Earth's position as the center of the universe for centuries....

The Throbber actually believes there's a bit of science and a bit of spirituality that got us to this fucked up place in history. And generally give zero fucks to plant the flag in either camp in order to change someone else's mind.

So, in other words, FYFMFE.

No "they" didn't.

All men fell into one of two types. The first is the guy who ran scared from thunder because he thought Zeus was pissed. Let's call him "Billy". The second is the guy who cooked up geometry in the sand with a stick. Let's call him "Euclid".

Euclid was a scientist.

Billy was an ill-informed, uneducated banana.
    I love science and math. In particular math. If I hadn't been such a fuck up in school I would have been good at it I found out later in life. Lots of math and formulas in construction.

I find comfort in numbers for some reason.

Never had an issue with science and faith.

I love science and math. In particular math. If I hadn't been such a fuck up in school I would have been good at it I found out later in life. Lots of math and formulas in construction.

Race probably knew Euclid.
    He was a good guy
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,971 Founders Club
    When I was a youngster I wanted to be a structural engineer and build suspension bridges. The I learned maff was involved. Maff is hard so I went in a different direction. Now I am poor and block Creep on the free ways with my shitty, 12 year old SUV.

When I was a youngster I wanted to be a structural engineer and build suspension bridges. The I learned maff was involved. Maff is hard so I went in a different direction. Now I am poor and block Creep on the free ways with my shitty, 12 year old SUV.

Get off my bridge!!!!!!!!!!
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    edited February 2018

Math doesn't lie. If you and math are having a disagreement, then you should stfu and listen to the math.

Trust math, not people.

The above is not directed to anyone in particular.

When I was about 10 walking across this bridge I missed and old gentlemen jumping off on the Marin County side by about 1 min. His sweater and cane were siting right there on the pedestrian walk way. Pretty fucked up.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,566 Standard Supporter
    dflea said:

Math doesn't lie. If you and math are having a disagreement, then you should stfu and listen to the math.

Trust math, not people.

The above is not directed to anyone in particular.
    You can’t get laid by math.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

When I was about 10 walking across this bridge I missed and old gentlemen jumping off on the Marin County side by about 1 min. His sweater and cane were siting right there on the pedestrian walk way. Pretty fucked up.

Prefer this one:

Swaye said:

Prefer this one:

Duh!

• BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,024

Wife runs a structural engineering firm. She had to slog through years of calculus at Cal for her degree. She says she rarely has to use calculus; most of her work is plain old algebra. Whenever she does need to use any calculus she just looks up the formulas and plugs shit in, since she doesn't remember too much about advanced maff that she almost never uses.

One of her junior engineers left the firm ten years ago to go to South Africa and build bridges for their 2010 World Cup infrastructure build. Saved her the task of finding a way to get rid of him gently, as he was a well-meaning kid but just wasn't particularly suited to the job.
    BearsWiin said:

Wife runs a structural engineering firm. She had to slog through years of calculus at Cal for her degree. She says she rarely has to use calculus; most of her work is plain old algebra. Whenever she does need to use any calculus she just looks up the formulas and plugs shit in, since she doesn't remember too much about advanced maff that she almost never uses.

One of her junior engineers left the firm ten years ago to go to South Africa and build bridges for their 2010 World Cup infrastructure build. Saved her the task of finding a way to get rid of him gently, as he was a well-meaning kid but just wasn't particularly suited to the job.
    Me thinks a lot of the hard maff and other academis in those engineering programs is just a way to weed out the dumb dumbs like myself. Alas, the world needs history major ditch diggers too.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

Sounds like he was nothing special.
    Now this I do disagree with. Putting the coffin in the Capital Rotunda doesn't sit right with me at all. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/billy-graham-to-lie-in-honor-in-capitol-rotunda/ar-BBJt9zY?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCDHP
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Now this I do disagree with. Putting the coffin in the Capital Rotunda doesn't sit right with me at all. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/billy-graham-to-lie-in-honor-in-capitol-rotunda/ar-BBJt9zY?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCDHP

How many other dudes have had a personal audience with 11 American presidents?

Agree or disagree with his message, that's a pretty massive legacy at the presidential level.