Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Billy Graham sells the couch

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,971 Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

I respected that Graham, at least, tried to maintain an a-political stance as opposed to being completely in the bag for the right- e.g., like Jerry Falwell.

It's cute that you think this.
    Why does someone who lived their life genuinely righteous 99% of the time shame you?
    We all do. It's what we do in that 1%, when the decisions are hard, when doing the right thing might not be the easy thing, that separate decent people from lousy assholes.

The man amassed wealth and influence acting as a purveyor of spiritual snake oil, and he laid the groundwork for others, including his own spawn, to use the religious right as a political force for shitty policy over the last four decades.
    Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Btw, Salem isn't even close to 99%. Frankly, none of us are. I'll bet Billy wasn't either.
    We're evolved to be cooperative; it conveys a huge survival advantage, and we do it so much that we don't even think about it most of the time. We don't need Christ in our hearts to act nicely to each other.
    But you need something bigger than yourself... No???
    There is something far bigger than all of us called the Universe and the Laws of Psychics. It just doesn't care about us is all.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,964

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

I respected that Graham, at least, tried to maintain an a-political stance as opposed to being completely in the bag for the right- e.g., like Jerry Falwell.

Why does someone who lived their life genuinely righteous 99% of the time shame you?
    We all do. It's what we do in that 1%, when the decisions are hard, when doing the right thing might not be the easy thing, that separate decent people from lousy assholes.

The man amassed wealth and influence acting as a purveyor of spiritual snake oil, and he laid the groundwork for others, including his own spawn, to use the religious right as a political force for shitty policy over the last four decades.
    Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Btw, Salem isn't even close to 99%. Frankly, none of us are. I'll bet Billy wasn't either.
    We're evolved to be cooperative; it conveys a huge survival advantage, and we do it so much that we don't even think about it most of the time. We don't need Christ in our hearts to act nicely to each other.
    There is something far bigger than all of us called the Universe and the Laws of Psychics. It just doesn't care about us is all.
    Leave him alone. He attended WSU and is afraid of the dark ... and eternity.

He's a pussy.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,024
    edited February 2018
    salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

My DNA needs to survive, thrive, and reproduce. Cooperation conveys a huge survival advantage, so my self-interested impulses need to be channeled within the larger cooperative context; morality arises from our need to cooperate. "Needing" something bigger than myself is merely a shell program on top of the basic instructions, in order to help me survive in the cooperative social environment and propel my DNA into the future. To my mind, it's waay cooler to understnad that my DNA is the result of 3.5 billion years of trial and error in a changing and usually hostile natural environment, rather than that there's some omnipotent bearded guy in the sky who gives a shit about how many times I've had filthy thoughts about Dana Delany.

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    edited February 2018

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

No.

Stop being a pussy.
    Umm... Pretty sure you need that moar than anyone else in this cesspool.

But sure.gif.
    BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

My DNA needs to survive, thrive, and reproduce. Cooperation conveys a huge survival advantage, so my self-interested impulses need to be channeled within the larger cooperative context; morality arises from our need to cooperate. "Needing" something bigger than myself is merely a shell program on top of the basic instructions, in order to help me survive in the cooperative social environment and propel my DNA into the future. To my mind, it's waay cooler to understnad that my DNA is the result of 3.5 billion years of trial and error in a changing and usually hostile natural environment, rather than that there's some omnipotent bearded guy in the sky who gives a shit about how many times I've had filthy thoughts about Dana Delany.

Ironic ain't it then that the OS of our brains is "evolved" to believe in deities?
    BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Chinteresting... so natural selection. the tribal collective and opposable thumbs. However your ancestors worshipped something and/or somebody besides the bearded Zeus in the Sky throughout their history. All of our ancestors did. For some it did bring peace. For others bondage as it was twisted by man himself.

Look I don't buy the bearded guy story myself. But I feel the creator of the Universe is a thing and the peace that it brings to the created comes in many forms. And to deny that is pretty short sighted imo. While your DNA is the result of evolution, It was indeed created by something.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Chinteresting... so natural selection. the tribal collective and opposable thumbs. However your ancestors worshipped something and/or somebody besides the bearded Zeus in the Sky throughout their history. All of our ancestors did. For some it did bring peace. For others bondage as it was twisted by man himself.

Look I don't buy the bearded guy story myself. But I feel the creator of the Universe is a thing and the peace that it brings to the created comes in many forms. And to deny that is pretty short sighted imo. While your DNA is the result of evolution, It was indeed created by something.
    So we'll put @salemcoog in the Jeffersonian Deism camp. I can respek that.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    Your DNA was created by chance with some help from physics and chemistry.

The rest is people being stupid and making up shit so their lives don't seem meaningless.

I deal with it by consuming drugs, alcohol, and rock music.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,495 Founders Club
    Christians can vote and be politically active even if @BearsWiin disagrees.

What a great country
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    dflea said:

The rest is people being stupid and making up shit so their lives don't seem meaningless.

Maybe you should try fishing?
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    doogie said:

dflea said:

Maybe you should try fishing?
    Forgot about that one.

Probably because of the drugs.
    salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

As Hitchens used to say, religion is humanity's first attempt to make sense of the larger world, and because it was the first, it was the worst. People who were technologically and organizationally primitive and who didn't know much about how the world works outside of their own limited environment and experiences used their limited abilities of pattern-recognition to conjure up frameworks whereby they could improve their outcomes. Those frameworks were drawn from their own experiences (Indians had their cobra god, Egyptians had Ra and their crocodile god, and the Norse had the Fenris Wolf), and they set about trying to figure out what they could do that would please these deities, so that those deities would give them good fortune. Lo and behold, what works, in terms of social order, is cooperative behavior that had already evolved in us. So they codified their pre-existing cooperative behavior into their sets of social rules, slapped some cool creation myths and stories along with it, and voila, they got religion and all the non-evidentiary dogma that goes with it. As far a the Judeo-Christian framework is concerned, look at any thou shalt not in the Commandments or any deadly sin, and you can make an argument that it's an attempt to promote tribal cooperation and limit discord, which can be detrimental or fatal to the collective. The acts aren't evil or sinful in themselves; they're manifestations of the natural individual desire to act in one's own self-interest. What makes them evil or sinful is the context in which we want to exercise those impulses.

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

So we'll put @salemcoog in the Jeffersonian Deism retard camp. I can respek that.
    Get back to poasting shit that's not obvious.

What a great country

For now. I'm working on something.
    edited February 2018

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

So we'll put @salemcoog in the Jeffersonian Deism retard camp. I can respek that.

Serious question creep... er I mean Huck, Why did you not carry your Cougfan handle over here?

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Serious question creep... Why did you not carry your Cougfan handle over here?

Serious answer: what's "Cougfan"? Does he poast here?

What a great country

My in-laws are pretty devout Christians, but they separate their flying spaghetti monsterism from their politics. It's not that hard to have evidence and reason inform your politics, instead of superstition and tradition.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,495 Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

As Hitchens used to say, religion is humanity's first attempt to make sense of the larger world, and because it was the first, it was the worst. People who were technologically and organizationally primitive and who didn't know much about how the world works outside of their own limited environment and experiences used their limited abilities of pattern-recognition to conjure up frameworks whereby they could improve their outcomes. Those frameworks were drawn from their own experiences (Indians had their cobra god, Egyptians had Ra and their crocodile god, and the Norse had the Fenris Wolf), and they set about trying to figure out what they could do that would please these deities, so that those deities would give them good fortune. Lo and behold, what works, in terms of social order, is cooperative behavior that had already evolved in us. So they codified their pre-existing cooperative behavior into their sets of social rules, slapped some cool creation myths and stories along with it, and voila, they got religion and all the non-evidentiary dogma that goes with it. As far a the Judeo-Christian framework is concerned, look at any thou shalt not in the Commandments or any deadly sin, and you can make an argument that it's an attempt to promote tribal cooperation and limit discord, which can be detrimental or fatal to the collective. The acts aren't evil or sinful in themselves; they're manifestations of the natural individual desire to act in one's own self-interest. What makes them evil or sinful is the context in which we want to exercise those impulses.
    Hitchens is one of my favorite atheists along with @allpurpleallgold .

Hitchens didn't get all faggy when it came to Islam. He ripped all religions not just the ones that were approved to hate.

And he was smart. I really enjoyed his appearances on the Dennis Miller HBO show with drink in hand.

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

salemcoog said:

BearsWiin said:

Was Billy a charlatan?

I'm crushed.

Look Mrs. Snow is from Salem and one of the greatest sports ballers that town ever produced. Out of respect for the Salemites, I have to abstain from your Crusade against Salem Kewg and let you Kewgs sort it out amongst yourselves.