Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Religion Pole

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

My basic elevator speech hasn't changed much since HS...

Earth = 4.5 billion years old

Simple life emerges 600 million years ago

Dinosaurs for like 200 millions years

Early modern homo sapiens don't arrive until 200,000 years ago

Then 2,000 years ago in the most bass akwards part of the world (not Rome or China mind you) amongst a bunch of bronze age goat herders, the most important even in the history of the planet occurs, followed by a Roman Emperor needing a new state religion three centuries later.

I need more evidence guys and can't take on faith. But that's just me, and believing that we're simply worm dirt when we die ain't for everyone.

Mrs. Snow is a confirmed papist, but more of a deist these days. I told her she can take on a new boyfriend in heaven if I don't get in.

ATBSJBS, I'm thankful for the Protestant Reformation and the good that it did in creating the modern world.

Somehow life started. That’s the most simplistic reason why I believe in God.

All of the Heaven/Hell and afterlife stuff is difficult for me because nobody actually knows.
    I suppose where I differ with you god guysm, is that “somehow life started” doesn’t suggest to me magic and/or divine plan. The origins of life seem totally random, haphazard and disorganized.
    That position requires a lot of faith.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Flying spaghetti monsterinan - God's not real you fucking idiot

Then 2,000 years ago in the most bass akwards part of the world (not Rome or China mind you) amongst a bunch of bronze age goat herders, the most important even in the history of the planet occurs, followed by a Roman Emperor needing a new state religion three centuries later.

I need more evidence guys and can't take on faith. But that's just me, and believing that we're simply worm dirt when we die ain't for everyone.

Mrs. Snow is a confirmed papist, but more of a deist these days. I told her she can take on a new boyfriend in heaven if I don't get in.

ATBSJBS, I'm thankful for the Protestant Reformation and the good that it did in creating the modern world.

All of the Heaven/Hell and afterlife stuff is difficult for me because nobody actually knows.
    I suppose where I differ with you god guysm, is that “somehow life started” doesn’t suggest to me magic and/or divine plan. The origins of life seem totally random, haphazard and disorganized.
    Not really.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not really.
    We’ve covered this
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Sermon Seeker - TRUE believer in REAL God (protestant division)

Not really.
    We’ve covered this
    I don't find the "we don't know = God" argument compelling.

It's no big deal. We can still be e-frens.
    Is there a rule that any matter has to exist? That seems to be the underlying basis of the Big Bang theory, but with no explanation of where that stuff came from.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not really.
    We’ve covered this

Is there a rule that any matter has to exist? That seems to be the underlying basis of the Big Bang theory, but with no explanation of where that stuff came from.
    I don't know. I'm not an astrophysicist. I'm just a pretend sales guy, shit poasting on backwater college football message board.

But I'm comfortable with not having an explanation. Maybe humanity will figure out the answer someday or maybe not. It doesn't really matter.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Deist - some God of some sort is out there, somewhere

Not really.
    We’ve covered this

Matter can come into existence first in the form of energy, or something like that. The debate isn't about how matter came into existence. What provided the energy though?
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    MadSon the Chosen Ones
    chuck said:

Not really.
    We’ve covered this

Matter can come into existence first in the form of energy, or something like that. The debate isn't about how matter came into existence. What provided the energy though?
    Where did God come from?

The fact that God is a cop out of "magic doesn't have to make sense" doesn't make it a good answer.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,726
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Eternity isn't just no end it's no beginning. Beyond human comprehension at this point. It's why faith is faith and science is science. Looking through the glass darkly. We all are
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:

chuck said:

Not really.
    We’ve covered this

Where did God come from?

The fact that God is a cop out of "magic doesn't have to make sense" doesn't make it a good answer.
    What if god was one of us ? Like a stranger on the bus.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    MadSon the Chosen Ones

Mad_Son said:

chuck said:

Not really.
    We’ve covered this

Where did God come from?

What if god was one of us ? Like a stranger on the bus.
    Trying to make his way home?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2022

Not really.
    We’ve covered this

I'm an atheist. But I realize that takes faith, not lack of it. Precisely because of your argument.

I don't think Christians and/or people who believe in god are idiots and I can see how religion, on balance, has benefited civilization. Immensely.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CRUSADES!!!12!!
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2022

Not really.
    We’ve covered this

I'm an atheist. But I realize that takes faith, not lack of it. Precisely because of your argument.

I don't think Christians and/or people who believe in god are idiots and I can see how religion, on balance, has benefited civilization. Immensely.

Where have I ever called Christians idiots or implied such in this thread? I PM’d a true believing sermon seeker to post this poll.

I am thankful everyday that I was born in a country founded by English speaking Protestants.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not really.
    We’ve covered this

The biggest benefit that Western Civ is missing at this point - and what is most concerning to me - from declining levels of faith, is the collapse of fertility. People with faith tend to make more babies. Think #FuckTheMormons and Evangelicals. Israel, for example, is the only Western Industrialized nations, with fertility levels way above replacement. The US was above 2.0 per woman until about 2007, but even we are crashing now. Demographics is destiny and this is scary stuff.

In spite of being an atheist fag, I still did my part and made 2 genetic copies. But a lot of people who should be breeding more aren't.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Eternity isn't just no end it's no beginning. Beyond human comprehension at this point. It's why faith is faith and science is science. Looking through the glass darkly. We all are

As it relates the human comprehension, I like the ask the question: Does God even exist in a way that humans can perceive or understand? And if it does note, what the hell are we all arguing about?
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    Janet Reno

As it relates the human comprehension, I like the ask the question: Does God even exist in a way that humans can perceive or understand? And if it does note, what the hell are we all arguing about?
    No. That's why He's God and we're not.

Our respective peabrains can only handle the spoonfed stories in the Bible.

The sequel is gonna be lit.

Swaye's Wigwam

I just need a sign and I will repent.

Swaye's Wigwam

I just need a sign and I will repent.

@dnc can bully you with the exact verse on those who demand a sign
    Swaye's Wigwam

Throbber hit it

The foolishness of God is wiser than the wisdom of men. Corinthians