Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Religion Pole

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Flying spaghetti monsterinan - God's not real you fucking idiot

Eternity isn't just no end it's no beginning. Beyond human comprehension at this point. It's why faith is faith and science is science. Looking through the glass darkly. We all are

As it relates the human comprehension, I like the ask the question: Does God even exist in a way that humans can perceive or understand? And if it does note, what the hell are we all arguing about?
    Throbber hit it

The foolishness of God is wiser than the wisdom of men. Corinthians

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Deist - some God of some sort is out there, somewhere
    Mad_Son said:

chuck said:

My basic elevator speech hasn't changed much since HS...

Earth = 4.5 billion years old

Simple life emerges 600 million years ago

Dinosaurs for like 200 millions years

Early modern homo sapiens don't arrive until 200,000 years ago

Then 2,000 years ago in the most bass akwards part of the world (not Rome or China mind you) amongst a bunch of bronze age goat herders, the most important even in the history of the planet occurs, followed by a Roman Emperor needing a new state religion three centuries later.

I need more evidence guys and can't take on faith. But that's just me, and believing that we're simply worm dirt when we die ain't for everyone.

Mrs. Snow is a confirmed papist, but more of a deist these days. I told her she can take on a new boyfriend in heaven if I don't get in.

ATBSJBS, I'm thankful for the Protestant Reformation and the good that it did in creating the modern world.

Somehow life started. That’s the most simplistic reason why I believe in God.

All of the Heaven/Hell and afterlife stuff is difficult for me because nobody actually knows.
    I suppose where I differ with you god guysm, is that “somehow life started” doesn’t suggest to me magic and/or divine plan. The origins of life seem totally random, haphazard and disorganized.
    That position requires a lot of faith.
    Not really.
    We’ve covered this
    I don't find the "we don't know = God" argument compelling.

It's no big deal. We can still be e-frens.
    Is there a rule that any matter has to exist? That seems to be the underlying basis of the Big Bang theory, but with no explanation of where that stuff came from.
    Matter can come into existence first in the form of energy, or something like that. The debate isn't about how matter came into existence. What provided the energy though?
    Where did God come from?

The fact that God is a cop out of "magic doesn't have to make sense" doesn't make it a good answer.
    You're asking the wrong person. I don't believe in God.

The argument is frivolous. That's my only stance.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,810
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2022
    Janet Reno
    dnc said:

Eternity isn't just no end it's no beginning. Beyond human comprehension at this point. It's why faith is faith and science is science. Looking through the glass darkly. We all are

As it relates the human comprehension, I like the ask the question: Does God even exist in a way that humans can perceive or understand? And if it does note, what the hell are we all arguing about?
    No. That's why He's God and we're not.

Our respective peabrains can only handle the spoonfed stories in the Bible.

The sequel is gonna be lit.

I just need a sign and I will repent.

@dnc can bully you with the exact verse on those who demand a sign
    1 The Pharisees and Sadducees and YellaSnowYaSees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.

2 He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’ 3 and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the tims. 4 A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.

Translation: Jesus said, "Talk to the hand. Peace out" and walked away.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

1 The Pharisees and Sadducees and YellaSnowYaSees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.

2 He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’ 3 and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the tims. 4 A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.
    So was Jesus a dumbass who believed a guy lived in a whale for three days or is he a traveling monorail salesman who's smoke-bombing his way out of a valid question by scaring some neanderthals with fairy tale?

Either Jesus was stupid or he was taking advantage of stupid people to avoid having to provide real credentials. Either option doesn't seem very Jesuslike.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Sermon Seeker - TRUE believer in REAL God (protestant division)

Then 2,000 years ago in the most bass akwards part of the world (not Rome or China mind you) amongst a bunch of bronze age goat herders, the most important even in the history of the planet occurs, followed by a Roman Emperor needing a new state religion three centuries later.

I need more evidence guys and can't take on faith. But that's just me, and believing that we're simply worm dirt when we die ain't for everyone.

Mrs. Snow is a confirmed papist, but more of a deist these days. I told her she can take on a new boyfriend in heaven if I don't get in.

ATBSJBS, I'm thankful for the Protestant Reformation and the good that it did in creating the modern world.

All of the Heaven/Hell and afterlife stuff is difficult for me because nobody actually knows.
    I suppose where I differ with you god guysm, is that “somehow life started” doesn’t suggest to me magic and/or divine plan. The origins of life seem totally random, haphazard and disorganized.
    Not really.
    We’ve covered this

I'm an atheist. But I realize that takes faith, not lack of it. Precisely because of your argument.

I don't think Christians and/or people who believe in god are idiots and I can see how religion, on balance, has benefited civilization. Immensely.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CRUSADES!!!12!!
    The biggest benefit that Western Civ is missing at this point - and what is most concerning to me - from declining levels of faith, is the collapse of fertility. People with faith tend to make more babies. Think #FuckTheMormons and Evangelicals. Israel, for example, is the only Western Industrialized nations, with fertility levels way above replacement. The US was above 2.0 per woman until about 2007, but even we are crashing now. Demographics is destiny and this is scary stuff.

In spite of being an atheist fag, I still did my part and made 2 genetic copies. But a lot of people who should be breeding more aren't.
    If you were doing your part you would've had 3 like I did. The replacement rate is higher than 2 due to child mortality rates.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2022

Not really.
    We’ve covered this

I'm an atheist. But I realize that takes faith, not lack of it. Precisely because of your argument.

I don't think Christians and/or people who believe in god are idiots and I can see how religion, on balance, has benefited civilization. Immensely.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CRUSADES!!!12!!
    The biggest benefit that Western Civ is missing at this point - and what is most concerning to me - from declining levels of faith, is the collapse of fertility. People with faith tend to make more babies. Think #FuckTheMormons and Evangelicals. Israel, for example, is the only Western Industrialized nations, with fertility levels way above replacement. The US was above 2.0 per woman until about 2007, but even we are crashing now. Demographics is destiny and this is scary stuff.

In spite of being an atheist fag, I still did my part and made 2 genetic copies. But a lot of people who should be breeding more aren't.
    If you were doing your part you would've had 3 like I did. The replacement rate is higher than 2 due to child mortality rates.
    I failed by .1

Respeck for 3 and a Tudor.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2022
    Also today in Tempe proves there is no God.

I was right @MikeDamone .
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

So was Jesus a dumbass who believed a guy lived in a whale for three days or is he a traveling monorail salesman who's smoke-bombing his way out of a valid question by scaring some neanderthals with fairy tale?

Either Jesus was stupid or he was taking advantage of stupid people to avoid having to provide real credentials. Either option doesn't seem very Jesuslike.
    Deep thinking
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Deep thinking
    None required.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,073
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited October 2022
    Poof
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Poof

Like Kanye's love for Jesus?
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,248
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Deist - some God of some sort is out there, somewhere
    dnc said:

My Pops was well-known to missionaries in the area...from legend (my Mom), missionaries approached the house two different times as he was watering flowers. He hosed them down when they wouldn't LEAVE! They weren't so eager to spread the word at his house after that...
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

So I will say this to my brothers in Christ: TYFYS during the pandemic.

Private (in person) Christian school saved Lil' Piss from academis hell during 2020- 21 (1st grade) and now he's reading at well above his grade level (3rd now). I'm a cheap fuck who hates the idea of private school - provided the public option is good to great - so we moved back to public elementary last year.

Sadly, he's forgotten most of the Sermon Seeking curriculum and appears to be on a path towards eternal damnation, unless Mrs. Snow can inject more of her spiritual deism.

You'll be back when future Gov. Kotek or whatever other commie gets elected Governor down there requires your kids to get the jab to attend the "free" school. I assume you've already made peace with his future as a gas-pumping Duck grad?