Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Religion Pole

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sermon Seeker - TRUE believer in REAL God (protestant division)

My basic elevator speech hasn't changed much since HS...

Earth = 4.5 billion years old

Simple life emerges 600 million years ago

Dinosaurs for like 200 millions years

Early modern homo sapiens don't arrive until 200,000 years ago

Then 2,000 years ago in the most bass akwards part of the world (not Rome or China mind you) amongst a bunch of bronze age goat herders, the most important even in the history of the planet occurs, followed by a Roman Emperor needing a new state religion three centuries later.

I need more evidence guys and can't take on faith. But that's just me, and believing that we're simply worm dirt when we die ain't for everyone.

Mrs. Snow is a confirmed papist, but more of a deist these days. I told her she can take on a new boyfriend in heaven if I don't get in.

ATBSJBS, I'm thankful for the Protestant Reformation and the good that it did in creating the modern world.

Some say it takes more faith not to believe than to believe.
    Well, yeah, if I’m wrong, the consequences are dire. Eternal damnation sounds like a real bummer.
    The point is, you have faith.
    I don’t stress about it much. The burden of proof is not on me after all. I don’t make any metaphysical claims.
    I didn’t assert you stressed. Just stated a fact. Yet some would suggest “life emerges” is a metaphysical claim.
    Some are wrong. There's no metaphysical claim with "life emerges", rather, we're? just saying we don't know yet (and may never know). But not knowing the answer doesn't equate to evidence of magic or that the laws of physics were suspended this one time.

At the end of the day, I stand by Saint Chris Hitchens point, which is to say that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    Yes… it can be. Which is why “life emerges” 600 million years ago requires faith. Because it can be dismissed without evidence.

My bro in law has a PHD in chemistry. From UW in the mid 90s. He runs a big department of about 200 people doing top secret shit. His journey to Christianity was chinteresting (or not). The deeper he got into science and his field, he could no longer ignore that God exists. Until he then accepted Christ. He’s not the only scientist I know who went through this. It doesn’t prove or disprove anything. I just find it compelling when people deep into chemistry, biology, archaeology, astronomy, etc either become Christian’s or their faith deepens.
    It takes a whole lot more faith to believe the entirety of the universe came together by a series of unrelated cells, minerals, atoms and events than to accept that perhaps there is some master designer that built it.

How do you figure? That we haven't unraveled the mysteries of the Big Bang doesn't make it more likely that there was/is a master designer than not. And furthermore, it's big leap to get from "the origins of the Universe are complicated" to the Nicaean Creed.

Nogaf about religion or creeds here

Or settled science

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Deist - some God of some sort is out there, somewhere

Then 2,000 years ago in the most bass akwards part of the world (not Rome or China mind you) amongst a bunch of bronze age goat herders, the most important even in the history of the planet occurs, followed by a Roman Emperor needing a new state religion three centuries later.

I need more evidence guys and can't take on faith. But that's just me, and believing that we're simply worm dirt when we die ain't for everyone.

Mrs. Snow is a confirmed papist, but more of a deist these days. I told her she can take on a new boyfriend in heaven if I don't get in.

ATBSJBS, I'm thankful for the Protestant Reformation and the good that it did in creating the modern world.

Well, yeah, if I’m wrong, the consequences are dire. Eternal damnation sounds like a real bummer.
    I don’t stress about it much. The burden of proof is not on me after all. I don’t make any metaphysical claims.
    I didn’t assert you stressed. Just stated a fact. Yet some would suggest “life emerges” is a metaphysical claim.
    Some are wrong. There's no metaphysical claim with "life emerges", rather, we're? just saying we don't know yet (and may never know). But not knowing the answer doesn't equate to evidence of magic or that the laws of physics were suspended this one time.

At the end of the day, I stand by Saint Chris Hitchens point, which is to say that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    Yes… it can be. Which is why “life emerges” 600 million years ago requires faith. Because it can be dismissed without evidence.

My bro in law has a PHD in chemistry. From UW in the mid 90s. He runs a big department of about 200 people doing top secret shit. His journey to Christianity was chinteresting (or not). The deeper he got into science and his field, he could no longer ignore that God exists. Until he then accepted Christ. He’s not the only scientist I know who went through this. It doesn’t prove or disprove anything. I just find it compelling when people deep into chemistry, biology, archaeology, astronomy, etc either become Christian’s or their faith deepens.
    It takes a whole lot more faith to believe the entirety of the universe came together by a series of unrelated cells, minerals, atoms and events than to accept that perhaps there is some master designer that built it.

How do you figure? That we haven't unraveled the mysteries of the Big Bang doesn't make it more likely that there was/is a master designer than not. And furthermore, it's big leap to get from "the origins of the Universe are complicated" to the Nicaean Creed.

The big bang is virtually a dead theory. The universe was never a single point and some force beyond and explosion caused it to inflate and is still doing so.

You can't prove or disprove the existence of of some higher power through science, and never will.

What we can prove is that the universe is a lot bigger than one would expect if earth and humans were a significant factor in it's
    formation and evolution. Someday we may even prove that its not the only one.

Conclusion...there could be a God/s of some sort, but they don't need us and man, they expect the same.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,793
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Flying spaghetti monsterinan - God's not real you fucking idiot

Nogaf about religion or creeds here

Or settled science

But for the purposes of discussing faith and belief, most of our country does accept the divinity of Christ (or the other monotheistic faiths). Agnostics and atheists remain a relatively small percentage of the population. In other words, the debate usually isn't atheists vs deists over the origins of the Universe.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

The big bang is virtually a dead theory. The universe was never a single point and some force beyond and explosion caused it to inflate and is still doing so.

You can't prove or disprove the existence of of some higher power through science, and never will.

What we can prove is that the universe is a lot bigger than one would expect if earth and humans were a significant factor in it's

Conclusion...there could be a God/s of some sort, but they don't need us and man, they expect the same.
    If you see Saint Anne, please tell her thanks a lot.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,261
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022

whlinder said:

I gotta meet this unseen being that has been designing 200 billion galaxies for the past 10+ billion years.

A guy has to do something to pass the eternal time

Was there ever a beginning? Is there an end? Our shit will blow up eventually but there are lots of replacements

A noted atheist said he thinks aliens may have seeded earth

Not out of the question. Ancient Aliens is a guilty pleasure

But I'm not here to tell anyone what to believe

I love science and Jesus
    He needs his own players before we can truly judge. LIPO.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,386
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    whlinder said:

I could also go with Agnostic, I guess, I mean there is no evidence of a theoretical thing NOT being true...

I appreciate religion. It's interwoven with human history and is the driver of many of the societal norms we accept today. Humans needed something to explain events they could not explain: death, illness, weather, natural disasters. What are those lights in the sky? What's this sun and moon thing? How to explain? God did it! Of course it became abused to benefit certain people. If you don't show up at church and give me 10% of your money you're gonna end up in hell has been a very effective sales pitch.

However, we know shit now, have the ability to communicate globally and share information, have a scientific process and can explain things which were previously unexplainable. Except for death. So it continues to give us something to look forward to after we die. Pick your flavor of ice cream on what you have to do to enjoy whatever awaits in the great beyond.

I was raised a Christian Scientist, married a Catholic, been to Methodist and Lutheran church (other relatives), have a former mormon brother in law, visited mosques in Egypt, been to mass at JP2's church in Krakow, work with plenty of Hindus & Muslims and know plenty of MadSon's chosen ones. It's cool, y'all do you, until you cross the line to evil.

I just don't think any of them are right. The images and data being retrieved by the Webb Telescope has reinforced this with me even more. There is no possible way to contextualize how large and old the universe is. The number of events that have occurred in the universe is beyond our ability to comprehend. And when there are that many events, galaxies forming and dying, matter smashing into other matter, at some point you get the combination of the right shit smashing together and forming our galaxy to get what we have on this planet.

We're just atoms. It's not that fucking complicated.

How were the atoms created?
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

I could also go with Agnostic, I guess, I mean there is no evidence of a theoretical thing NOT being true...

I appreciate religion. It's interwoven with human history and is the driver of many of the societal norms we accept today. Humans needed something to explain events they could not explain: death, illness, weather, natural disasters. What are those lights in the sky? What's this sun and moon thing? How to explain? God did it! Of course it became abused to benefit certain people. If you don't show up at church and give me 10% of your money you're gonna end up in hell has been a very effective sales pitch.

However, we know shit now, have the ability to communicate globally and share information, have a scientific process and can explain things which were previously unexplainable. Except for death. So it continues to give us something to look forward to after we die. Pick your flavor of ice cream on what you have to do to enjoy whatever awaits in the great beyond.

I was raised a Christian Scientist, married a Catholic, been to Methodist and Lutheran church (other relatives), have a former mormon brother in law, visited mosques in Egypt, been to mass at JP2's church in Krakow, work with plenty of Hindus & Muslims and know plenty of MadSon's chosen ones. It's cool, y'all do you, until you cross the line to evil.

I just don't think any of them are right. The images and data being retrieved by the Webb Telescope has reinforced this with me even more. There is no possible way to contextualize how large and old the universe is. The number of events that have occurred in the universe is beyond our ability to comprehend. And when there are that many events, galaxies forming and dying, matter smashing into other matter, at some point you get the combination of the right shit smashing together and forming our galaxy to get what we have on this planet.

The science isn't settled.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022
    Deist - some God of some sort is out there, somewhere

whlinder said:

From things a lot smaller than atoms.

chuck said:

I knew I could count on you.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's hard to discuss such weighty matters sneaking looks at HH on my phone to keep my work computer aids free

But pup finally has his higher discussion
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,244
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Janet Reno
    Good Pole Yella, I grew up Luthern, then Dad found Husky Stadium mid 80's and adopted it as his new church. I fell between the cracks and worshiped Real God And Don James. Don James eventually retired, Real God brought me an Adventist girlfriend, I turned into a heathen and dumped Real God and the Adventist because I only believed in 81% of teachings. In all seriousness I think the bible has great life lessons and I do believe in God, I can't stand organized religion and the shady fucks that use it as a crutch
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,386
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

whlinder said:

From things a lot smaller than atoms.

chuck said:

I knew I could count on you.
    The problem with science is that the assumption about the Big Bang is that something had to happen because we have physical matter now, but no explanation of how anything came about in the first place. Also, years are a man-made concept.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022
    dannarc said:

Good Pole Yella, I grew up Luthern, then Dad found Husky Stadium mid 80's and adopted it as his new church. I fell between the cracks and worshiped Real God And Don James. Don James eventually retired, Real God brought me an Adventist girlfriend, I turned into a heathen and dumped Real God and the Adventist because I only believed in 81% of teachings. In all seriousness I think the bible has great life lessons and I do believe in God, I can't stand organized religion and the shady fucks that use it as a crutch

You can thank @dnc for his service. I defer to our HH sermon seekers on all religious poling.

I haven't even read the entire bible in the original Shakespearean Engrish
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's hard to discuss such weighty matters sneaking looks at HH on my phone to keep my work computer aids free

But pup finally has his higher discussion

Just remember puppy picked SC to win south. Nobody else here did. God continually blesses you homo's with his brilliant analysis, prognostication and insight
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

I gotta meet this unseen being that has been designing 200 billion galaxies for the past 10+ billion years.

It’s possible you’ll get that opportunity.
    Swaye's Wigwam

That’s my point. Im an atheist though. But I understand the benefit religion has in organization and maintaining a civil society throughout history and today. I’m not anti religion. Atheists who lose their shit over religion are fucking annoying. They are usually arrogant smug pricks as well.
    Read my first post in this thread.

I appreciate my mainline Protestant heritage.
  • StateChampWereUStateChampWereU Member Posts: 39
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    Reading this board Nihilism seems the overwhelming winner loser
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

It’s also a big leap to think it started from nothing. Like I said, I’m an atheist. Mostly because I’m lazy. If I were motivated I’d probably be agnostic and if I had any ambition I’d probably be a Christian.
    Swaye's Wigwam

It’s also a big leap to think it started from nothing. Like I said, I’m an atheist. Mostly because I’m lazy. If I were motivated I’d probably be agnostic and if I had any ambition I’d probably be a Christian.
    Eternity has no beginning or end

There was always something

More like seen and unseen

Or we're some kids ant farm