Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

USC/UCLA sell Pac 12 couch

Comments

• Options
    dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 561
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2022
    I doubt that ND or any ACC school will be moving to another conference:

“The ACC’s new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame’s contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they will be contracted to join the ACC.”

“The Grant-of-Rights agreement tied to the league’s contract, which has been instrumental in keeping other conferences from poaching ACC programs to this point. Under the agreement, member schools would have to pay an exit fee and surrender the entirety of their TV revenue to the conference if they bolt. The exit fee is around $53 million, AND they would have to forfeit their media rights in their new conference through 2036.”
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I’ve been on the “let’s abandon this sinking ship for the Big Ten and their money” team for about 3-4 years. The writing was on the wall.

I hate the end result of the best case scenario. Butt- fuck the Rose Bowl, conference rivalries, and geography when the other option is irrelevance.

USC and UCLA’s new ADs knew they were getting fucked by Larry Scott’s shit deal - why should they (~60% of the media market) or Oregon (most produced revenue for conference sharing over ~15 years) get equitable splits with Cuog et al? I don’t blame them for defecting, or defecating for that matter, on this mess.

The Pac-12 presidents killed this shit with their apathy. Arizona State’s and Oregon State’s are the main culprits, they propped up that confidence man instead of deporting him back to watching Eastern European lesbians grunting.

Scenarios:

1. Notre Dame chimos join Pedo State and others, ACC told to fuck themselves.
    A. To make 18 teams Big Ten takes Stanford.
    B. To make 20 teams Big Ten also takes Oregon and Washington.

2. Pac-10 remains, revenue gap grows. Big fish small pond option.
    A. builds around UO/UW and is arguing with ACC and Big-12 over who should get the play-in game against the SEC 5th place team for a chance to go to the impending expanded playoff.
    B. Attempts to expand. Throws out offers to Big-12 schools or second tier schools with a media market. SDSU? UNLV? Hawaii? Those jump at the chance. Big-12 schools are trickier, but their presidents would maybe do it.

3. Big-12 poaches or conferences merge.
    A. Fuck you.
    B. Fuck me.
    C. Fuck everyone.

4. Best available revenue producing scraps are brought together by Amazon Prime. Or AppleTV. Or Fubu.
    A. A football only conference of Oregon, Washington, Clemson, Florida State, 1/2 Notre Dame, UNC, Pitt, Miami, Utah, Okie State, Baylor, TCU, Cincy, Stanford, BYU etc. Split that shit into divisions.

That’s my order of preference, if I still had feelings. I still think this winds up as two mega conferences as I’ve been saying for years. I don’t know, you don’t know, the Big Ten commish doesn’t know, everything is unpredictable.
  • Options
    dOgmaster said:

I doubt that ND or any ACC school will be moving to another conference:

The ACC’s new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame’s contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they will be contracted to join the ACC.

The Grant-of-Rights agreement tied to the league’s contract, which has been instrumental in keeping other conferences from poaching ACC programs to this point. Under the agreement, member schools would have to pay an exit fee and surrender the entirety of their TV revenue to the conference if they bolt. The exit fee is around $53 million, AND they would have to forfeit their media rights in their new conference through 2036.

Contracts don’t matter as much as people think they do. Notre Dame is being mentioned, and everyone knows the contract exists.

The ACC hasn’t gotten poached recently because to date the poachers have overlap with them for TV markets. The ACC itself is built on the scraps of the Metro and Big East.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,081
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’ve been on the “let’s abandon this sinking ship for the Big Ten and their money” team for about 3-4 years. The writing was on the wall.

I hate the end result of the best case scenario. Butt- fuck the Rose Bowl, conference rivalries, and geography when the other option is irrelevance.

USC and UCLA’s new ADs knew they were getting fucked by Larry Scott’s shit deal - why should they (~60% of the media market) or Oregon (most produced revenue for conference sharing over ~15 years) get equitable splits with Cuog et al? I don’t blame them for defecting, or defecating for that matter, on this mess.

The Pac-12 presidents killed this shit with their apathy. Arizona State’s and Oregon State’s are the main culprits, they propped up that confidence man instead of deporting him back to watching Eastern European lesbians grunting.

Scenarios:

A. builds around UO/UW and is arguing with ACC and Big-12 over who should get the play-in game against the SEC 5th place team for a chance to go to the impending expanded playoff.
    B. Attempts to expand. Throws out offers to Big-12 schools or second tier schools with a media market. SDSU? UNLV? Hawaii? Those jump at the chance. Big-12 schools are trickier, but their presidents would maybe do it.

A. Fuck you.
    B. Fuck me.
    C. Fuck everyone.

4. Best available revenue producing scraps are brought together by Amazon Prime. Or AppleTV. Or Fubu.
    A. A football only conference of Oregon, Washington, Clemson, Florida State, 1/2 Notre Dame, UNC, Pitt, Miami, Utah, Okie State, Baylor, TCU, Cincy, Stanford, BYU etc. Split that shit into divisions.

That’s my order of preference, if I still had feelings. I still think this winds up as two mega conferences as I’ve been saying for years. I don’t know, you don’t know, the Big Ten commish doesn’t know, everything is unpredictable.

1. Might be an interesting google search.

2. Your National Conference sounds appealing. I'd swap WVU for Cincy though.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,081
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Honestly, I'm starting to think that UCLA and USC, if they push for any west coast schools, it will be Cal / Stanford, or ASU / AZ. That's my bold prediction.

I'm basing this on television markets and proximity only, not what seems like a good football fit.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,746
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

One thing partially good that comes out of this: the whole "USC respects us" shit should be officially out of the window from here on out. They picked their soft powder blue cross-town rival and said "come along." There's no way the egg heads at UCLA thought this up on their own.

And off they'll go with no care in the world about the teams ... and history ... they leave behind.

That was all in your head anyway

USC was and is west coast football

Incorrect.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Scenarios:

A. Fuck you.
    B. Fuck me.
    C. Fuck everyone.

Hi would you do a playoff?
  • Options

Scenarios:

A. Fuck you.
    B. Fuck me.
    C. Fuck everyone.

Hi would you do a playoff?
    In retrospect? No. Would you?

That was the straw nail that broke the camel’s coffin, more so than NIL ever could.

In scenario one? Yeah, but they might as well just have a the Big Ten champ play the SEC runner up for a chance to take on the SEC champ.
  • Options

Scenarios:

A. Fuck you.
    B. Fuck me.
    C. Fuck everyone.

1. Might be an interesting google search.

2. Your National Conference sounds appealing. I'd swap WVU for Cincy though.

2. Cincy probably has the better TV market but it can come down to which inbred coal hill people you prefer, WV Appalachia or Ohio/Kentucky. Those were just examples, pick your own scraps from the bucket type of deal.
  • Options
    OldEdgyOldEdgy Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    no_uh said:

I'm fairly confident that the worst possible outcome for football on the west coast will happen

I'm fairly confident that the worst possible outcome for UW football will happen (ND and UO to B10).
    B1G guy here... I'm fairly confident ND is NOT coming to the B1G... The hate and the schism goes back 108 years....
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,022
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    OldEdgy said:

no_uh said:

I'm fairly confident that the worst possible outcome for football on the west coast will happen

I'm fairly confident that the worst possible outcome for UW football will happen (ND and UO to B10).
    B1G guy here... I'm fairly confident ND is NOT coming to the B1G... The hate and the schism goes back 108 years....
    New guy has a point, can’t remember but was it beef with osu?

Irregardless, LEAVE!
  • Options
    OldEdgyOldEdgy Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

OldEdgy said:

no_uh said:

New guy has a point, can’t remember but was it beef with osu?

Irregardless, LEAVE!
    It goes back to many in the B1G being against catholics when THEY asked to join approx. 108 years ago... Then about 50 years ago the B1G asked ND to join and they got revenge by turning us down rather loudly and publicly... Lots of broken hearts, ill-will, animosity and some 'mixed' emotions going on with the B1G and ND... They wear their 'independence' like a badge of honor, and I suspect it's not changing anytime soon.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,600
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Man u fags don't deserve the big ten