Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

UW practices according to a buddy

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

I think Wilcox went to USC for these reasons...

1) Because Sark's expertise is extremely limited, Wilcox basically has full reign over the defense

2) He had already worked for Petersen, so he may have viewed it as somewhat of a step back

3) Going to USC he's still working with Heyward & Sirmon. At UW he would have had new assistants.

4) Going from UW DC to USC DC is not a lateral move and gets him that much closer to being a HC

5) Broadens his base as a potential future HC. Him & Sirmon have recruiting roots in the south, Oregon, WA and a few years at USC will earn them some recognition in that area.

He doesn't need to prove himself as a DC, as he's already highly thought of. Sark's coming mediocrity at USC won't harm Wilcox's reputation if his defenses perform well.

Sark's poor coaching, attention to details, poor special teams and sometimes erratic play calling could hurt Wilcox though.

I can see Wilcox bailing on Sark though after 2015 when it's pretty obvious Sark could be in trouble. I think Sark will be on the hot seat going into 2016 and as an assistant you don't want to be on a coaching staff where head coach is facing death watch.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

1) Because Sark's expertise is extremely limited, Wilcox basically has full reign over the defense

2) He had already worked for Petersen, so he may have viewed it as somewhat of a step back

3) Going to USC he's still working with Heyward & Sirmon. At UW he would have had new assistants.

4) Going from UW DC to USC DC is not a lateral move and gets him that much closer to being a HC

5) Broadens his base as a potential future HC. Him & Sirmon have recruiting roots in the south, Oregon, WA and a few years at USC will earn them some recognition in that area.

He doesn't need to prove himself as a DC, as he's already highly thought of. Sark's coming mediocrity at USC won't harm Wilcox's reputation if his defenses perform well.

Excellent use of 5 reasons, although I think if Petersen went after him, Wilcox would still be here. He may not have wanted to step on his buddy Coach K's toes either by staying at UW and relegating K to DL coach.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Completely disagree.

If he didn't need to prove himself as a DC, he would have a better gig than working for Sark by now.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    He's proven himself as a DC but he hasn't had a championship type of defense yet. If he develops one at USC then he probably will get some HC offers.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

He's proven himself as a DC but he hasn't had a championship type of defense yet. If he develops one at USC then he probably will get some HC offers.

So he's proven himself to be a good DC, not a great DC... but he doesn't need to prove himself unless he proves himself at USC then will get HC offers.

Got it.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,520 Founders Club

So he's proven himself to be a good DC, not a great DC... but he doesn't need to prove himself unless he proves himself at USC then will get HC offers.

Got it.
    My head hurts
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Perhaps Petermen didn't want him anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

Got it.
    Boobs, he just needs more time is all. Wait til he gets his own guys, nobody knows the damage that Holt did.

Damn when did this place turn into Doogman where we make excuses for coaches?

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    If Wilcox is smart he's gone after this coming season and two season tops ... only part of attaching the ride to Sark's wagon is that Sark's now at USC. That's solid gold from a resume standpoint.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320

I remember beating Indiana (around 2002 or 2003) something like 38-13 and going onto Dawgman to vent about how that wasn't Husky Football and why do we suck so bad.

Conversely I remember in 2011 being like "This is going to be a long year" after the Eastern game and being told "a win is a win" by several doogs.

"Three years ago you would have killed for a win and now you are complaining? Damn you are negative!".

While like you said back then being disappointed in wins was normal because the expectations were so much higher. I remember leaving Husky Stadium in 1995 after barely beating Army and walking out feeling like we had lost.
    There was the famous "Can't you just be happy with 5-1?" When I pointed out that UW went through the easy part of the schedule in unimpressive fashion and the reckoning would soon come. They went 2-5 after that.

How a team wins or losses in very important. I remember after watching the Colorado game in 1990 thinking, UW has a very good team and could very well be one of the best in the nation. It was a well played game by two good teams. I think Colorado won the MNC that year (even though they got a 5th down vs. Missouri). Then there are games where they play like shit, but are lucky to beat an inferior team, and you know they aren't very good and it will catch up with them. Like a bad golfer who who maybe skips one across the water, or hits a tree and gets a bounce that puts him near the hole...maybe he gets a par or a birdy on the first couple of holes, but everyone knows he will still shoot a 110, becuase he isn't very good. (see the Arizona foot bounce pick 6 for reference)
    Looks like I have all the screenshots I need.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    edited September 2014

No complaints here - which makes this bored difficult, nothing to bitch about

Even jamming some Springsteen on Tues

This board will be more intense I think. The more winning you do the more it hurts when you lose, the more joy you gain when there is a big win.

Dawgman back in the late 1990's and early 2000's was very much like that. There was several people punching their fists on the key board after the Miami loss in 2001 and they allowed it. That was the mindset back then that blowout losses like that were fucking unacceptable as they should be.

So I think even in wins you'll see posters more critical of individuals as we are looking big picture. Like if UW defeats Hawaii for an example 34-24(same score as Illinois) there will be some major angst in here while last year nobody cared because we knew the season was over the minute Sark was allowed to have a year five.

I remember beating Indiana (around 2002 or 2003) something like 38-13 and going onto Dawgman to vent about how that wasn't Husky Football and why do we suck so bad.

Conversely I remember in 2011 being like "This is going to be a long year" after the Eastern game and being told "a win is a win" by several doogs.

"Three years ago you would have killed for a win and now you are complaining? Damn you are negative!".

While like you said back then being disappointed in wins was normal because the expectations were so much higher. I remember leaving Husky Stadium in 1995 after barely beating Army and walking out feeling like we had lost.
    Huh?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    I'm glad I never participated in this thread.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I'm glad I never participated in this thread.

Same.

Also, this thread reminds me that Cockus was responsible for 81% of the posts on HH back when he was still alive (RIP Ts and Ps). I imagine if he didn't leave he'd be approaching 100,000 posts by now.
  • kh83kh83 Member Posts: 596
    Fuck, More_Cockus must have worn out the keys in his mom's basement typing this much. Can you TL:DR an entire thread?
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797

...I can see WilcoxMarques bailing on Sark though after 2015 when it's pretty obvious Sark could be in trouble. I think Sark will be on the hot seat going into 2016 and as an assistant you don't want to be on a coaching staff where head coach is facing death watch...

Crisperization complete.
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,468
    This thread, TL;DR except for first and last posts.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

Swaye said:

You must have went to one of them fancy injun boarding schools where they yardstick your balls for using the native tongue.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493

There was the famous "Can't you just be happy with 5-1?" When I pointed out that UW went through the easy part of the schedule in unimpressive fashion and the reckoning would soon come. They went 2-5 after that.

How a team wins or losses in very important. I remember after watching the Colorado game in 1990 thinking, UW has a very good team and could very well be one of the best in the nation. It was a well played game by two good teams. I think Colorado won the MNC that year (even though they got a 5th down vs. Missouri). Then there are games where they play like shit, but are lucky to beat an inferior team, and you know they aren't very good and it will catch up with them. Like a bad golfer who who maybe skips one across the water, or hits a tree and gets a bounce that puts him near the hole...maybe he gets a par or a birdy on the first couple of holes, but everyone knows he will still shoot a 110, becuase he isn't very good. (see the Arizona foot bounce pick 6 for reference)
    Looks like I have all the screenshots I need.
    Great 5 month bump at 3 AM as always