Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mario to Miami confirmed

Options

Comments

• MikeSeaver
    MikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    Options

Still below the new market by quite a bit

I think Cristobalz bounces if he gets the right deal and promises of support, I just don’t know if Miami has the money. $50 million for the two buyouts and for tits to get a six year/$7 mil a year contract, which is a $1-2 mil raise, made slightly better by no income tax. From the Miami Herald:

Both trustees said Oregon coach and former UM player Mario Cristobal would be the obvious target but doubt UM could afford him.

“We don’t have that kind of money,” one trustee said.
    A UM trustee detailed that the athletic department’s finances pale in comparison to Texas A&M and Florida:
    Why can Texas A&M afford to pay Jimbo Fisher more than $9 million annually and UM can’t pay coaches more than $4 million to $5 million?
    “Our revenue from sports is $90 million to $100 million a year; at Texas A&M, it’s $175 million, Florida is close to that,” the trustee said.
    This is true. And while I can't dispute any of it, I'll say this: there are some large donors sitting there waiting for Miami to get this right who've promised to pay for it if they do. You also have a huge wave of pressure from ex-players and other stakeholders who've met and written up a manifesto and taken it to the Miami brass and said, "you've all fucked this up long enough."

Why else do you think a President who has been quoted by a Trustee as having told the ousted AD "you're on your own with this sports stuff" just fired that same AD during the middle of a mild recovery of the season (5-1 to close)? There's no question Frenk or Frank or whatever doesn't give a shit, but everybody else does so now he has to or he can be shown the door. There are some trustees who don't care; but most do. Miami football is a pillar of the greater Miami culture. It matters.

The biggest issue is the stadium. But people forget that the Orange Bowl was itself always viewed as a liability, even when they were winning. As was attendance. Miami has always been a night time, big game place. They don't show up in the afternoon for Tulsa or Kentucky. They show up at night for Notre Dame or Oklahoma. During the day for FSU. That is what it is, and has never mattered. The stadium was a rust bucket. Didn't matter. They had shitty facilities, but their program has been (poorly) copied by other programs, including USC, in having star alumni on the sideline and skipping their NFL voluntaries to come work out together at said shitty facilities. And that's because they all love the program and each other and all that shit is what mattered.

Crisco knows all this.

@MikeSeaver
    Not reading all that.
  • AtomicDawg
    AtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,003
    Options
    Good thing cristo is a man of character and not about the money. Otherwise he would just stay at Oregon.
  • PurpleBaze
    PurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,495 Founders Club
    Options
    dnc said:
    Just what Barry is hearing. Don't twist.

Either way, it'll be interesting.
  • EwaDawg
    EwaDawg Member Posts: 4,013
    Options

Swaye said:

Miami is one of the best, if not the best big city in America. It's the culture of New York with the beautiful people and money of LA mixed with killer weather and the party vide of Mardi Gras with a Latin flavor. In short, who wouldn't leave that shithole Eugene to go rule Miiami?

Eugene, a piss break on the way to a better place.

This is a very good and accurate post. Objectively speaking.

That said, we must remember it's not for everybody. Think about some of our brothers here who have to live in shit hole places like Sedro Woolley, Everett, Castle Rock, Battleground ... and Canada.

A lot of dudes lack the requisite confidence, and frankly the swarthy'ness, to compete in a town like Miami. If one is missing the superior Cuban DNA, one is already at a distinct disadvantage. It takes big @Ballz to make it in my hometown. It's not for everybody. It's LA, but with a NY temperament of aggression, and withering humidity that makes pussies from out west melt.

We have to remember there are coaches who, like our less confident brothers, prefer being out in the middle of butt fuck nowhere so that they have some semblance of a chance to compete for T&A and the other good things life has to offer.

We have to remember that. Eugene and Sedro and Everett and Marysville and Castlerock and Battleground and Vancoover and Rochester and Pulltab and Spookanne are all essentially the same fucking place, and there is a good % of people who want to be in those places and hide from the world.
    https://www.timeout.com/miami/news/miami-was-voted-the-third-most-overrated-city-in-the-worldouch-091421
    I've been to Miami, exactly once. It's great if you like grey sand beaches that remind you of Ocean shores. I seriously expected much much much more. I will say it has been many years. Maybe it's more cosmopolitan now. Don't really care to go back. Guess it depends what you are looking for. Obviously its1000 steps up from Eugene.
  • RaceBannon
    RaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,653 Swaye's Wigwam
    Options
    Dabo and Clemson are now on the clock with OU sniffing around

Clemson AD to Miami

Crazy times
  • FireCohen
    FireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Options
    @AZDuck meltdown will be speshual
  • CuntWaffle
    CuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    Options
    FireCohen said:

@AZDuck meltdown will be speshual

Thought he was already doing that?
  • creepycoug
    creepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    Options

EwaDawg said:

Swaye said:

Miami is one of the best, if not the best big city in America. It's the culture of New York with the beautiful people and money of LA mixed with killer weather and the party vide of Mardi Gras with a Latin flavor. In short, who wouldn't leave that shithole Eugene to go rule Miiami?

Eugene, a piss break on the way to a better place.

This is a very good and accurate post. Objectively speaking.

That said, we must remember it's not for everybody. Think about some of our brothers here who have to live in shit hole places like Sedro Woolley, Everett, Castle Rock, Battleground ... and Canada.

A lot of dudes lack the requisite confidence, and frankly the swarthy'ness, to compete in a town like Miami. If one is missing the superior Cuban DNA, one is already at a distinct disadvantage. It takes big @Ballz to make it in my hometown. It's not for everybody. It's LA, but with a NY temperament of aggression, and withering humidity that makes pussies from out west melt.

We have to remember there are coaches who, like our less confident brothers, prefer being out in the middle of butt fuck nowhere so that they have some semblance of a chance to compete for T&A and the other good things life has to offer.

We have to remember that. Eugene and Sedro and Everett and Marysville and Castlerock and Battleground and Vancoover and Rochester and Pulltab and Spookanne are all essentially the same fucking place, and there is a good % of people who want to be in those places and hide from the world.
    https://www.timeout.com/miami/news/miami-was-voted-the-third-most-overrated-city-in-the-worldouch-091421
    I've been to Miami, exactly once. It's great if you like grey sand beaches that remind you of Ocean shores. I seriously expected much much much more. I will say it has been many years. Maybe it's more cosmopolitan now. Don't really care to go back. Guess it depends what you are looking for. Obviously its1000 steps up from Eugene.
    I hate to threaten the hard-fought peace we worked so hard to achieve, but unless you are really drunk, this tells me you actually didn't go to Miami, but rather to Ocean Shores, and the football talk has caused a Mandella Effect.

There is NOTHING about the beaches there that would remind you of Ocean Shores. Take it from the unicorn that was born in one place and grew up next to the other.

Most US cities are now more cosmopolitan than they once were. I'd say on the whole Miami has always been more cosmopolitan than Seattle, but Seattle has caught up. People forget Seattle used to be a fucking nowhere backwater as recently as the 1980s.
    Miami had the cocaine and Seattle had the tech

Couple of boom towns
    Further back, Seattle was the gateway to Alaska, and Miami was the cross roads of the Americas.

Miami has always had the advantage/disadvantage, depending on who you are, of the New York influence, which is skrong.