Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Travels With Mabel

Comments

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2023

LebamDawg said:

New locale for Mabel and Abraham's rocking chair - made it further north

Got here and the bro-in-law came by - we drank beer all afternoon. He is a converted Buttwiper drinker - not sure what drove him away but I have my ideas about his conversion - to Coors light. He needs to keep an eye on things as he is diabetic. and a drunk.
    After wasting away the afternoon the Mrs and I enjoyed a grilled bone-in rib steak - 2 LBer from Double D meats in Mountlake Terrace, best meat market in northern Seattle area

Been visiting a hell of a lot of folks since hitting Bend, kids soccer, T-ball games, brothers, soon to be seeing a sister, and nieces and nephews - the best part I finally creamed by brother in cribbage. does not happen often - I think he cheats.

Any who - the view of Mt Baker is good from here

Mountlake Terrace is an unheralded gem in the PNW. Hell yes they have cinder block houses, but Double D meats is the shit. Decent parks and rec center where yours truly learned how to swim in the early 70s and lived above Lake Ballinger when I started at the UW. Right on the county line, that old joke of a neighborhood is a developers dream on fire. Light rail station is lighting up that old hamlet like a bonfire. You will hear more from Terrace in the next few years. Oh yes, yes you will.
    I grew up next door in Brier. MLT sucks and always will. It's in the blood of the residents and bones of the infrastructure. Perfect representation of WESCO.
    Brier got MT's runoff. All sh** goes downhill.

Is there any other water in Brier besides Swamp Creek and various peat bogs?

Who are you kidding? Seriously.

The only thing Brier has going for it is proximity to Maltby.
  • Options

You got a life

Steinbeck always makes me feel better about owning a black haired 75 percent poodle dog.
    One of the best. Steinbeck was the shit. There would be statues of him all over Salinas if he wasn't white.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,492
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

LebamDawg said:

Got here and the bro-in-law came by - we drank beer all afternoon. He is a converted Buttwiper drinker - not sure what drove him away but I have my ideas about his conversion - to Coors light. He needs to keep an eye on things as he is diabetic. and a drunk.
    After wasting away the afternoon the Mrs and I enjoyed a grilled bone-in rib steak - 2 LBer from Double D meats in Mountlake Terrace, best meat market in northern Seattle area

Been visiting a hell of a lot of folks since hitting Bend, kids soccer, T-ball games, brothers, soon to be seeing a sister, and nieces and nephews - the best part I finally creamed by brother in cribbage. does not happen often - I think he cheats.

Mountlake Terrace is an unheralded gem in the PNW. Hell yes they have cinder block houses, but Double D meats is the shit. Decent parks and rec center where yours truly learned how to swim in the early 70s and lived above Lake Ballinger when I started at the UW. Right on the county line, that old joke of a neighborhood is a developers dream on fire. Light rail station is lighting up that old hamlet like a bonfire. You will hear more from Terrace in the next few years. Oh yes, yes you will.
    I grew up next door in Brier. MLT sucks and always will. It's in the blood of the residents and bones of the infrastructure. Perfect representation of WESCO.

Brier is single-family, only, and no stoplights. Lots are all at least .25 acre. MLT has all the shitty apartments and cinder homes. Nobody in their right mind would prefer to live in MLT over Brier. The proof is in the property values.
  • Options

LebamDawg said:

Brier is single-family, only, and no stoplights. Lots are all at least .25 acre. MLT has all the shitty apartments and cinder homes. Nobody in their right mind would prefer to live in MLT over Brier. The proof is in the property values.
    If you want to live in the middle of nowhere, Brier is perfect. High School options are Mountlake Terrace or Lynnwood, correct?

The point about Terrace will be made over the next decade as redevelopment occurs. I personally don't like density, but I can't stand suburban, car-dependent living either. My many Brier experiences were typically getting lost trying to find my way through it to LFP or Bothell, because it has no grid nor attractions. My Brier friends who grew pot or dealt coke certainly liked their seclusion, BITD, until the Feds showed up anyway. But the best you can call it is a bedroom community with no real destinations besides cul de sacs.
  • Options
    Founders Club

LebamDawg said:

If you want to live in the middle of nowhere, Brier is perfect. High School options are Mountlake Terrace or Lynnwood, correct?

The point about Terrace will be made over the next decade as redevelopment occurs. I personally don't like density, but I can't stand suburban, car-dependent living either. My many Brier experiences were typically getting lost trying to find my way through it to LFP or Bothell, because it has no grid nor attractions. My Brier friends who grew pot or dealt coke certainly liked their seclusion, BITD, until the Feds showed up anyway. But the best you can call it is a bedroom community with no real destinations besides cul de sacs.
    Well, yes. That's the whole point of the town. Bedroom community that's a very short drive to nearby areas where you can do stuff. No scummy apartments or vehicle traffic like Lynnwood and MLT. Why import that stuff with growth if you can drive to it in 5-10 minutes?

Lynnwood will do most of the growing, IMO. I think MLT will take much longer. Half of the housing in MLT needs to be knocked down. That doesn't happen overnight. Probably just ends up being the "affordable"area of So. Snohomish County.
  • Options

LebamDawg said:

Well, yes. That's the whole point of the town. Bedroom community that's a very short drive to nearby areas where you can do stuff. No scummy apartments or vehicle traffic like Lynnwood and MLT. Why import that stuff with growth if you can drive to it in 5-10 minutes?

Lynnwood will do most of the growing, IMO. I think MLT will take much longer. Half of the housing in MLT needs to be knocked down. That doesn't happen overnight. Probably just ends up being the "affordable"area of So. Snohomish County.
    That's South Everett. Already done.

Yes, many shitty Terrace homes are going bye-bye. That's the point.

The infrastructure, access and grid are already in place. That's another point.

It will be overrun with density as apartments and condos are currently replacing empty parking lots a 5 to 10 minute walk from the light rail station.

Forget about the scummy history, including the fighter jet crash that took out an entire city block in about 1960. (Race was there.)

Location, location, location is the key.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,541
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @TurdBomber @BleachedAnusDawg

You two need to get a room or meet at the 7-11
  • Options
    LebamDawg said:

@TurdBomber @BleachedAnusDawg

You two need to get a room or meet at the 7-11

Brier lacks both.

We could swamp buggy race, though.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

One of my teammates from college grew up in Lake Forest Park up on some big hill. Nice real estate up there.

Brier I was told is where the hillbillies lived.
  • Options
    Founders Club

LebamDawg said:

One of my teammates from college grew up in Lake Forest Park up on some big hill. Nice real estate up there.

Probably very true until the 80's.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

Seemed true in the late 90s and early 2000s.
  • Options
    Founders Club

LebamDawg said:

LebamDawg said:

Seemed true in the late 90s and early 2000s.
    Uh, no.
  • Options
    Dayam. I only meant to reveal some hidden and forthcoming gems in South Snohomish County. Didn't mean to unfairly malign Brier, but there isn't much there to love or hate. Not so much "off-the-grid" as perhaps "between the grids" of Bothell and Lynnwood/Edmonds (which locals used to call Ed/Lynn, complimented by Lynndale - comprised of Lynnwood & Meadowdale.) People younger than race can recall "Sno-King" this and that, such as the drive-in theater in Lynnwood. Regardless, Brier was nowheresville back in the day, which some obviously loved and valued, such as I said before, my friends who dealt coke and grew pot, before the Feds swooped in back in the early 90s. Truth be told, I had no idea Brier incorporated. I thought it was unincorporated South SnoCo like many other areas avoiding annexation by Lynnwood.

I never liked Brier because it's a bitch to get through. Terrace, on the other hand, was and still is a city awaiting some major redevelopment, which is currently underway, sitting at the front porch of King County, which is going to radically change and make developers a lot of money. Some swill may remain, but more of the derelicts on these boreds will be visiting there than Brier in the coming years, if only for the hookers and blow.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,324
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Brier is a weird place. That's all. It's just weird.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Brier used to be the relaxing drive way to get north or south without the I-5 or 405 traffic, similar to driving the old Bothell-Everett highway, When the B-E got congested it was turn off 196th on the back roads into Brier to get to Kenmore - Juanita area.
    and vice versa.

I was just in Bothell and went Locust Way to one or two of the winding roads that lead to points west. Still better than going Lake City Way or Ballinger
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,250
    LebamDawg said:

Brier used to be the relaxing drive way to get north or south without the I-5 or 405 traffic, similar to driving the old Bothell-Everett highway, When the B-E got congested it was turn off 196th on the back roads into Brier to get to Kenmore - Juanita area.
    and vice versa.

I was just in Bothell and went Locust Way to one or two of the winding roads that lead to points west. Still better than going Lake City Way or Ballinger

I just drove that yesterday, coming home from Leavenworth to the Edmonds ferry. Hit Monroe about 3:30, a little bit of traffic, but nothing like 405/5 at that time…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

Great to be back in the rainy NW - now up on the Swinomish Res getting my fill of Indian hospitality and fire works. Ate at the casino, surprised the food is pretty good. Like all places now a days expensive. Did not eat at the fancy restaurant where you can get a 34 oz Tomahawk Rib Steak for just $99. Bro in law is going there for a meeting with his fiancial advisor who is buying - I told him to order the Tomahawk since he is eating on the Res.

View from the new temporary location - edited out the RR tracks

Location confirmed. Stopped by while I was working, bullshitting for an hour and a half. Could have stayed longer but figured work would start hunting me down eventually since I never clocked out. Yella is right, @LebamDawg and his wife are good people.
    aw shucks (I am almost blushing)
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

Great to be back in the rainy NW - now up on the Swinomish Res getting my fill of Indian hospitality and fire works. Ate at the casino, surprised the food is pretty good. Like all places now a days expensive. Did not eat at the fancy restaurant where you can get a 34 oz Tomahawk Rib Steak for just $99. Bro in law is going there for a meeting with his fiancial advisor who is buying - I told him to order the Tomahawk since he is eating on the Res.

View from the new temporary location - edited out the RR tracks

Location confirmed. Stopped by while I was working, bullshitting for an hour and a half. Could have stayed longer but figured work would start hunting me down eventually since I never clocked out. Yella is right, @LebamDawg and his wife are good people.
    Quit plagarisms of my shit fucko.