Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Deep thoughts

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,431
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

Is he really that bad? Aside from Jen screwing you over you guys prob would have won the pac

Agree with this. I'm mostly with Race but I fall for the TBS/Branding shit.

But what's gone completely unsaid on this site is that after 2019 most of the good seniors/juniors dipped after the Vegas bowl.

After 2020 Jimmy got all of his guys to stay.

We're a veteran team this year. Fuck ESPN and the limp dick Pac media, there's no excuse for Washington not to roll.
    Lets hope so...

The 2019 team was pretty upper class heavy... issue was the majority of them had zilch for talent, lacked prototypical athletic traits and seemingly didn't care whether they won or lost.

Kyler Manu, Brandon Wellington, Andre Bashitti and many more come to mind.

Didn't care whether they won or lost?

Bachellia was a good role player, Fuller was a #3-4 receiver in 2018. They were forced into primary roles because modern college football passed Pete by. The high level guys he quit over having to recruit should have been in those primary roles. What a fucked up year.
    I never want to hear Beccellia and good in the same sentence ever again, you hear me?
    He had critical chunk plays in 2018 down the stretch. He worked well with Browning's shitty little rainbows.

Featuring him and Fuller, especially treating Fuller like an all American in the gameplan against Stanford, is still the most head scratching decision of the Pete era. Bush and Pete were just brutal those two years.

And then he wanted to start Haener in 2019 with that setup. Fucking finger painting an offensive scheme.
  • Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Every time I start dooging, I remember JohnDon is still our OC. We’re not winning 10 games with this shit ass scheme.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,570
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    2020 has to be the most embarrassing year ever right? Rooting for your rivals to rep the north when you actually won?
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,967
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

2020 has to be the most embarrassing year ever right? Rooting for your rivals to rep the north when you actually won?

I still can't fathom what occurred there
    At least we have our honor.
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,090
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I’m middle of the road on Jimmy, same as I was for Petersen. Reasons to like them, reasons to dislike them. I’ll never be disappointed.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,778
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Is he really that bad? Aside from Jen screwing you over you guys prob would have won the pac

Petersen takes a lot of crap, but he did pretty well overall. He's just a good coach, not an elite one, and 2019 was pathetic.

I haven't followed the Doogs much since the Plandemic outside of Saturdays, but I just have a bad feeling about Jimmy. Everyone sez the talent is there so he ought to be able to control the North. I think Mario got lucky that one year and isn't too bright. The Pac 12 is pretty weak right now. If he's a great coach, he'll figure out a way to win it.
  • lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555

Petersen takes a lot of crap, but he did pretty well overall. He's just a good coach, not an elite one, and 2019 was pathetic.

I haven't followed the Doogs much since the Plandemic outside of Saturdays, but I just have a bad feeling about Jimmy. Everyone sez the talent is there so he ought to be able to control the North. I think Mario got lucky that one year and isn't too bright. The Pac 12 is pretty weak right now. If he's a great coach, he'll figure out a way to win it.
    Mario got lucky last year or the year before that?
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557

haie said:

...there's no excuse for Washington not to roll.

Narrator: They won't...

I'm going to again disagree with everyone about last year's games "not counting." It was football. The better prepared teams with the better gameplans won. I judge a coach based off how well their team performs relative to the talent on hand. That was a for-win roster that struggled HARD to win three. They were real football games that really counted, and it was at best a C- grade from the staff. To me, THAT'S the disturbing trend.

If winning 11 games, leading to improved recruiting, is your path to optimism, you weren't watching in 2020, when actual, honest to god football was being played. I agree this is probably the most complete overall roster in the conference (linebacker depth aside), which is why I'm going to be so pissed when they lose four or five games.
    I‘d say 50-50 agree/disagree. Covid season games counted, but they also weren’t indicative of what teams and coaching staffs are capable of.

Both Washington and Oregon had new OCs that were neutered by the lack of install. Rosters were out of shape because the conference didn’t care enough, teams were playing with guys they didn’t want to play. Cale Millen is a real team player, but I would have preferred to not see him being forced to make special team tackles in the conference championship game.

There’s only so much coaching can do when you don’t have time or players to coach. 2020 gave us some answers but it raised just as many questions.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557

The people who like Petersen the most tend to not like the Jimmy hire the most

The people who don't like Petersen the most tend to like the Jimmy hire

That is me. I dislike Petersen, and thus far like Jimmy. Of course that’s me speaking from an Oregon perspective. I actually think toothy is a good dude who just couldn’t take the caring anymore, while Lake seems like all hat and no cattle.
    Swaye's Wigwam

That is me. I dislike Petersen, and thus far like Jimmy. Of course that’s me speaking from an Oregon perspective. I actually think toothy is a good dude who just couldn’t take the caring anymore, while Lake seems like all hat and no cattle.
    You disliked a rival coach that gifted you two wins when you were clearly going to lose?

Weird.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,296
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

I'm going to again disagree with everyone about last year's games "not counting." It was football. The better prepared teams with the better gameplans won. I judge a coach based off how well their team performs relative to the talent on hand. That was a for-win roster that struggled HARD to win three. They were real football games that really counted, and it was at best a C- grade from the staff. To me, THAT'S the disturbing trend.

If winning 11 games, leading to improved recruiting, is your path to optimism, you weren't watching in 2020, when actual, honest to god football was being played. I agree this is probably the most complete overall roster in the conference (linebacker depth aside), which is why I'm going to be so pissed when they lose four or five games.
    I‘d say 50-50 agree/disagree. Covid season games counted, but they also weren’t indicative of what teams and coaching staffs are capable of.

Both Washington and Oregon had new OCs that were neutered by the lack of install. Rosters were out of shape because the conference didn’t care enough, teams were playing with guys they didn’t want to play. Cale Millen is a real team player, but I would have preferred to not see him being forced to make special team tackles in the conference championship game.

There’s only so much coaching can do when you don’t have time or players to coach. 2020 gave us some answers but it raised just as many questions.
    My understanding is that UW, at least, got a full allotment of spring and fall practices in. Is this not the case? COVID is such a weird excuse. The Huskies were without two players, neither of whom were projected on the two deep. They had the full team on hand, and they practiced. If the players weren't held accountable for conditioning because COVID, that's a knock on the staff.

The Huskies played at full strength except for missing Ryan Bowman against Stanford. As president of the Ryan Bowman fan club, I'm comfortable saying that if missing Ryan Bowman is the difference between a win and a loss against a homeless team, your skeaad has problems, and you need to open to fuckin' eyes.
    haie said:

You disliked a rival coach that gifted you two wins when you were clearly going to lose?

Weird.
    That’s because it looks all downhill right now for UW from our vantage point.
    edited August 2021

haie said:

My understanding is that UW, at least, got a full allotment of spring and fall practices in. Is this not the case? COVID is such a weird excuse. The Huskies were without two players, neither of whom were projected on the two deep. They had the full team on hand, and they practiced. If the players weren't held accountable for conditioning because COVID, that's a knock on the staff.

The Huskies played at full strength except for missing Ryan Bowman against Stanford. As president of the Ryan Bowman fan club, I'm comfortable saying that if missing Ryan Bowman is the difference between a win and a loss against a homeless team, your skeaad has problems, and you need to open to fuckin' eyes.
    Oregon got 3/15 spring practices and kids were off campus for all of the offseason schedule except a week of voluntary summer workouts. I have to think it was similar for UW.

Fall camp was abbreviated too. Oregon missed 1/3 scrimmages due to a false positive covid test. It was a horrible time to install a new offense.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2021
    lawsandl said:

haie said:

Weird.
    That’s because it looks all downhill right now for UW from our vantage point.
    Jesus Christ. What a response. Sober up loser.

Losses to Beavlet and Cal. Facts.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2021
    Jimmy is fine. He will perform better than Sark, will always have a defense you can count on, recruit just good enough to make it interesting, win his share of offseason nattys, challenge for the Northwest Championship most years, beat Cuog most years and look good boating to work with a latte in hand.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    lawsandl said:

haie said:

Oregon got 3/15 spring practices and kids were off campus for all of the offseason schedule except a week of voluntary summer workouts. I have to think it was similar for UW.

Fall camp was abbreviated too. Oregon missed 1/3 scrimmages due to a false positive covid test. It was a horrible time to install a new offense.
    Sounds like Oregon *should* have been butt slammed by Beavlet and Cal. All is well in Meatville.