Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Show your support for what this community means to you:
Choose a Donation Amount
Username
(required for credit)
Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Humidor/Cigar Update

1234689

Comments

  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 39,339
    Swaye's Wigwam Solar Eclipse Donator 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes
    dflea said:

    dflea said:

    You guys sound a little soft to me. You should go out to the local river and stand there for a while picking ice out of your rod guides and then handle a fish for a while. If there's a little freezing rain, leave your hood down long enough for it to start running down the back of your neck.

    That will make your back porch cigar trips seem like a visit to a desert oasis.

    Get some of these fuckers, too. Great for cold days when you need to be using your fingers.



    I have those. Gonna try them next time.
    They're awesome. Make sure you use the little orange dammits to get them off your hands. Simms makes good shit.
    Used Simms waders for years back when I didn't suck and got to fly fish. Great shit.
    YellowSnowdfleadannarc
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 27,463
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 25000 Comments
    Swaye said:

    dflea said:

    dflea said:

    You guys sound a little soft to me. You should go out to the local river and stand there for a while picking ice out of your rod guides and then handle a fish for a while. If there's a little freezing rain, leave your hood down long enough for it to start running down the back of your neck.

    That will make your back porch cigar trips seem like a visit to a desert oasis.

    Get some of these fuckers, too. Great for cold days when you need to be using your fingers.



    I have those. Gonna try them next time.
    They're awesome. Make sure you use the little orange dammits to get them off your hands. Simms makes good shit.
    Used Simms waders for years back when I didn't suck and got to fly fish. Great shit.
    Mine are 20 years old and still bullet proof.
    Swaye
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 1,189
    1,500 Awesomes 250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Up Votes
    edited December 2021
    Thanks for the cigar link, @Swaye what a great price for one of the better cigars I've had.

    I'm a Steelheader so standing in shitty weather and smoking cigars is heaven.

    @YellowSnow, my Simms don't last 20yrs because, 1) I fish alot and 2) I smoke cigars with waders on

    YellowSnowSwayedfleaLebamDawg
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 27,463
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 25000 Comments
    edited January 1
    dannarc said:

    Thanks for the cigar link, @Swaye what a great price for one of the better cigars I've had.

    I'm a Steelheader so standing in shitty weather and smoking cigars is heaven.

    @YellowSnow, my Simms don't last 20yrs because, 1) I fish alot and 2) I smoke cigars with waders on

    I definitely don’t have 20 years of balls deep steelheading on them. Hell I think I’ve only had to plug like 2 holes.

    Some off years with not a ton of fishing, plus some summers with a lotta of shorts fishing.
    Swayedannarcdflea
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 39,339
    Swaye's Wigwam Solar Eclipse Donator 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes
    dannarc said:

    Thanks for the cigar link, @Swaye what a great price for one of the better cigars I've had.

    I'm a Steelheader so standing in shitty weather and smoking cigars is heaven.

    @YellowSnow, my Simms don't last 20yrs because, 1) I fish alot and 2) I smoke cigars with waders on

    Yes. Another stick DWAG!
    dannarc
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 27,463
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 25000 Comments
    dannarc said:

    Thanks for the cigar link, @Swaye what a great price for one of the better cigars I've had.

    I'm a Steelheader so standing in shitty weather and smoking cigars is heaven.

    @YellowSnow, my Simms don't last 20yrs because, 1) I fish alot and 2) I smoke cigars with waders on

    My favorite waders quote, by a fren who was a novice. We were up on Rock Creek in Montana in October and it was cold as fuck. And he says, “hey, are these waders self bailing, cause I gotta piss real bad?”
    dannarcSwayedflea
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,780
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 10,000 Up Votes Ninth Anniversary
    Good chit, Swaye.

    Swaye
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 39,339
    Swaye's Wigwam Solar Eclipse Donator 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes

    Good chit, Swaye.

    A little birdy told me you might be going up town with the cigar storage soon. Can't wait to see it. @PurpleBaze
    PurpleBaze
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,780
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 10,000 Up Votes Ninth Anniversary
    Swaye said:

    Good chit, Swaye.

    A little birdy told me you might be going up town with the cigar storage soon. Can't wait to see it. @PurpleBaze
    It's true. But, it's a process. It takes a minute. It's hard.

    I'll probably order it this coming week. It'll take 6-8 weeks to ship.
    Swaye
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 16,490
    10,000 Up Votes Standard Supporter 10,000 Awesomes 10000 Comments
    Swaye said:

    A fellow cigar-loving buddy of mine built a Rumford outdoor fireplace on his patio and extended the roof and one wall to shield a perfect little smoking and heat pocket that kept people reasonably dry and warm - enough to enjoy a cigar, anyway - at his place in Edmonds. It was perfect, but he retired and moved away.

    One of those uber-pleasureable things you wished you'd never experienced in the first place, as its absence will now haunt me for the rest of my days.

    Winter smoking is becoming the biggest existential threat to my life happiness there is. I'm hatching a 5 year plan to lose the Rose Bowl when Mrs. Swaye says no to my great idea of building a complete enclosed smoking room in the basement in 2027.
    Spend the extra $$ to get a Panasonic exhaust fan. Put one in my laundry room and I haven't heard a peep from it in 15 years. Quiet and powerful.

    Great machine-ally for hiding a deadly habit from the fam.
    SwayePurpleBazeDHD
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,780
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Awesomes 10,000 Up Votes Ninth Anniversary
    Just ordered it. It's an on-wall display humidor. I'll poast pictures once I have it all set up. Like I mentioned earlier, it'll ship in 6-8 weeks.

    Stay tuned. ;)
    SwayeDHD
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 27,463
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 25000 Comments
    Swaye said:

    150 years ago my people were still hatcheting white devils in the face and burning wagons. Look at how far we have come:



    That is my current laptop display, and I also have it on my cell phone. I run three humidors right now. The big Harland Brown custom everyone has seen, a wineador convert for storage (NewAir), and a really nice Daniel Marshall Treasure Box desktop.

    There are some real time humidor monitoring solutions out there to be able to sync up and see you temp/humidity but the Boveda one is clunky and never worked great, and Oasis has one but they charge you a monthly service fee, and the others always seemed sort of meh. So, I had a buddy who is super techy and likes to be a problem solver build this from scratch. He found some temp/rh sensors that were traditionally used in other applications, paired them with a base station (allowing you to name them, control them, etc.), got all the wireless configured properly between all elemetns of the system throughout the house, then custom built and coded a sort of open source GUI from Grafana ( I think) and came up with this (above) after a bunch of tweaking.

    Anywhere in the world at a moments notice I can check the gnats ass hair status of all the humidors, and I can even run trends going back up to a year to see how seasonal changes affect things. This is basically the coolest shit ever. It isn't in app form yet but he plans to work on that next. Most robust system I've seen. Red man wins again.

    @dflea @dannarc @YellowSnow @RaceBannon @Doogles @PurpleBaze @DHD @UW_Doog_Bot @TurdBomber

    You are a soft, farmer injun cigar connoisseur.

    I’m a Tuff Comanche, hunter / gatherer type cigar connoisseur.
    SwayeDHDdfleadannarc
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,741
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 10000 Comments
    Swaye said:

    150 years ago my people were still hatcheting white devils in the face and burning wagons. Look at how far we have come:



    That is my current laptop display, and I also have it on my cell phone. I run three humidors right now. The big Harland Brown custom everyone has seen, a wineador convert for storage (NewAir), and a really nice Daniel Marshall Treasure Box desktop.

    There are some real time humidor monitoring solutions out there to be able to sync up and see you temp/humidity but the Boveda one is clunky and never worked great, and Oasis has one but they charge you a monthly service fee, and the others always seemed sort of meh. So, I had a buddy who is super techy and likes to be a problem solver build this from scratch. He found some temp/rh sensors that were traditionally used in other applications, paired them with a base station (allowing you to name them, control them, etc.), got all the wireless configured properly between all elemetns of the system throughout the house, then custom built and coded a sort of open source GUI from Grafana ( I think) and came up with this (above) after a bunch of tweaking.

    Anywhere in the world at a moments notice I can check the gnats ass hair status of all the humidors, and I can even run trends going back up to a year to see how seasonal changes affect things. This is basically the coolest shit ever. It isn't in app form yet but he plans to work on that next. Most robust system I've seen. Red man wins again.

    @dflea @dannarc @YellowSnow @RaceBannon @Doogles @PurpleBaze @DHD @UW_Doog_Bot @TurdBomber

    You need to make this an out of the box system for sale. Fucking tits.



    I'm still more of a black market & smuggling kind of fast strat AI so why expect to reform now?

    $5 Partagas direct from Cuba. Smooth as a chinchillas asshole.
    Swaye
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 27,463
    Swaye's Wigwam 10,000 Up Votes 10,000 Awesomes 25000 Comments
    edited January 3

    Swaye said:

    150 years ago my people were still hatcheting white devils in the face and burning wagons. Look at how far we have come:



    That is my current laptop display, and I also have it on my cell phone. I run three humidors right now. The big Harland Brown custom everyone has seen, a wineador convert for storage (NewAir), and a really nice Daniel Marshall Treasure Box desktop.

    There are some real time humidor monitoring solutions out there to be able to sync up and see you temp/humidity but the Boveda one is clunky and never worked great, and Oasis has one but they charge you a monthly service fee, and the others always seemed sort of meh. So, I had a buddy who is super techy and likes to be a problem solver build this from scratch. He found some temp/rh sensors that were traditionally used in other applications, paired them with a base station (allowing you to name them, control them, etc.), got all the wireless configured properly between all elemetns of the system throughout the house, then custom built and coded a sort of open source GUI from Grafana ( I think) and came up with this (above) after a bunch of tweaking.

    Anywhere in the world at a moments notice I can check the gnats ass hair status of all the humidors, and I can even run trends going back up to a year to see how seasonal changes affect things. This is basically the coolest shit ever. It isn't in app form yet but he plans to work on that next. Most robust system I've seen. Red man wins again.

    @dflea @dannarc @YellowSnow @RaceBannon @Doogles @PurpleBaze @DHD @UW_Doog_Bot @TurdBomber

    You need to make this an out of the box system for sale. Fucking tits.



    I'm still more of a black market & smuggling kind of fast strat AI so why expect to reform now?

    $5 Partagas direct from Cuba. Smooth as a chinchillas asshole.
    And on the subject of weather, I sat outside last night with my leather smoking jacket on around 8pm having one of these after dinner with a beer and a whiskey. As pleasant as can be.
    Id smoke a cigar every day by your pool and shoot the shit with the olds.
    UW_Doog_Bot
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 16,490
    10,000 Up Votes Standard Supporter 10,000 Awesomes 10000 Comments
    edited January 4
    Walked the dog tonight and burned a nice Nicaraguan (or Dominican? Fuck. Should've peeled the ring off.) No rain or snow, about 39 degrees and no wind - and no wind was the key. Drew some nice long, flavor-filled draws along the way for the first time in weeks.

    Felt great. Like Castro in Havana. Except in a heavy coat, dodging black ice and scooping up dog shit in a plastic bag.

    How far we City Fags have fallen.
    SwayeRaceBannon
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,358
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Awesomes 1,000 Up Votes 250 Answers
    edited January 4
    Swaye said:

    Swaye said:

    150 years ago my people were still hatcheting white devils in the face and burning wagons. Look at how far we have come:



    That is my current laptop display, and I also have it on my cell phone. I run three humidors right now. The big Harland Brown custom everyone has seen, a wineador convert for storage (NewAir), and a really nice Daniel Marshall Treasure Box desktop.

    There are some real time humidor monitoring solutions out there to be able to sync up and see you temp/humidity but the Boveda one is clunky and never worked great, and Oasis has one but they charge you a monthly service fee, and the others always seemed sort of meh. So, I had a buddy who is super techy and likes to be a problem solver build this from scratch. He found some temp/rh sensors that were traditionally used in other applications, paired them with a base station (allowing you to name them, control them, etc.), got all the wireless configured properly between all elemetns of the system throughout the house, then custom built and coded a sort of open source GUI from Grafana ( I think) and came up with this (above) after a bunch of tweaking.

    Anywhere in the world at a moments notice I can check the gnats ass hair status of all the humidors, and I can even run trends going back up to a year to see how seasonal changes affect things. This is basically the coolest shit ever. It isn't in app form yet but he plans to work on that next. Most robust system I've seen. Red man wins again.

    @dflea @dannarc @YellowSnow @RaceBannon @Doogles @PurpleBaze @DHD @UW_Doog_Bot @TurdBomber

    You need to make this an out of the box system for sale. Fucking tits.



    I'm still more of a black market & smuggling kind of fast strat AI so why expect to reform now?

    $5 Partagas direct from Cuba. Smooth as a chinchillas asshole.
    And on the subject of weather, I sat outside last night with my leather smoking jacket on around 8pm having one of these after dinner with a beer and a whiskey. As pleasant as can be.
    I'm honest to God considering retiring to Florida just for the cigar lifestyle. And the hot hispanic chicks. And blow.
    Abundance.
    SwayePurpleBazeRaceBannonUW_Doog_Bot
Sign In or Register to comment.