Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Humidor/Cigar Update

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    dflea said:

dflea said:

You guys sound a little soft to me. You should go out to the local river and stand there for a while picking ice out of your rod guides and then handle a fish for a while. If there's a little freezing rain, leave your hood down long enough for it to start running down the back of your neck.

That will make your back porch cigar trips seem like a visit to a desert oasis.

Get some of these fuckers, too. Great for cold days when you need to be using your fingers.

I have those. Gonna try them next time.
    They're awesome. Make sure you use the little orange dammits to get them off your hands. Simms makes good shit.
    Used Simms waders for years back when I didn't suck and got to fly fish. Great shit.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

You guys sound a little soft to me. You should go out to the local river and stand there for a while picking ice out of your rod guides and then handle a fish for a while. If there's a little freezing rain, leave your hood down long enough for it to start running down the back of your neck.

That will make your back porch cigar trips seem like a visit to a desert oasis.

Get some of these fuckers, too. Great for cold days when you need to be using your fingers.

I have those. Gonna try them next time.
    They're awesome. Make sure you use the little orange dammits to get them off your hands. Simms makes good shit.
    Used Simms waders for years back when I didn't suck and got to fly fish. Great shit.
    Mine are 20 years old and still bullet proof.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,244
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2021
    Thanks for the cigar link, @Swaye what a great price for one of the better cigars I've had.

I'm a Steelheader so standing in shitty weather and smoking cigars is heaven.

@YellowSnow, my Simms don't last 20yrs because, 1) I fish alot and 2) I smoke cigars with waders on

Founders Club
    dannarc said:

Thanks for the cigar link, @Swaye what a great price for one of the better cigars I've had.

I'm a Steelheader so standing in shitty weather and smoking cigars is heaven.

@YellowSnow, my Simms don't last 20yrs because, 1) I fish alot and 2) I smoke cigars with waders on

Yes. Another stick DWAG!
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Good chit, Swaye.

Founders Club

Good chit, Swaye.

A little birdy told me you might be going up town with the cigar storage soon. Can't wait to see it. @PurpleBaze
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Good chit, Swaye.

A little birdy told me you might be going up town with the cigar storage soon. Can't wait to see it. @PurpleBaze
    It's true. But, it's a process. It takes a minute. It's hard.

I'll probably order it this coming week. It'll take 6-8 weeks to ship.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

A fellow cigar-loving buddy of mine built a Rumford outdoor fireplace on his patio and extended the roof and one wall to shield a perfect little smoking and heat pocket that kept people reasonably dry and warm - enough to enjoy a cigar, anyway - at his place in Edmonds. It was perfect, but he retired and moved away.

One of those uber-pleasureable things you wished you'd never experienced in the first place, as its absence will now haunt me for the rest of my days.

Winter smoking is becoming the biggest existential threat to my life happiness there is. I'm hatching a 5 year plan to lose the Rose Bowl when Mrs. Swaye says no to my great idea of building a complete enclosed smoking room in the basement in 2027.
    Spend the extra $$ to get a Panasonic exhaust fan. Put one in my laundry room and I haven't heard a peep from it in 15 years. Quiet and powerful.

Great machine-ally for hiding a deadly habit from the fam.
    Founders Club
    Just ordered it. It's an on-wall display humidor. I'll poast pictures once I have it all set up. Like I mentioned earlier, it'll ship in 6-8 weeks.

Stay tuned. ;)
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

150 years ago my people were still hatcheting white devils in the face and burning wagons. Look at how far we have come:

That is my current laptop display, and I also have it on my cell phone. I run three humidors right now. The big Harland Brown custom everyone has seen, a wineador convert for storage (NewAir), and a really nice Daniel Marshall Treasure Box desktop.

There are some real time humidor monitoring solutions out there to be able to sync up and see you temp/humidity but the Boveda one is clunky and never worked great, and Oasis has one but they charge you a monthly service fee, and the others always seemed sort of meh. So, I had a buddy who is super techy and likes to be a problem solver build this from scratch. He found some temp/rh sensors that were traditionally used in other applications, paired them with a base station (allowing you to name them, control them, etc.), got all the wireless configured properly between all elemetns of the system throughout the house, then custom built and coded a sort of open source GUI from Grafana ( I think) and came up with this (above) after a bunch of tweaking.

Anywhere in the world at a moments notice I can check the gnats ass hair status of all the humidors, and I can even run trends going back up to a year to see how seasonal changes affect things. This is basically the coolest shit ever. It isn't in app form yet but he plans to work on that next. Most robust system I've seen. Red man wins again.

@dflea @dannarc @YellowSnow @RaceBannon @Doogles @PurpleBaze @DHD @UW_Doog_Bot @TurdBomber

You need to make this an out of the box system for sale. Fucking tits.

I'm still more of a black market & smuggling kind of fast strat AI so why expect to reform now?

$5 Partagas direct from Cuba. Smooth as a chinchillas asshole.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022

Swaye said:

150 years ago my people were still hatcheting white devils in the face and burning wagons. Look at how far we have come:

That is my current laptop display, and I also have it on my cell phone. I run three humidors right now. The big Harland Brown custom everyone has seen, a wineador convert for storage (NewAir), and a really nice Daniel Marshall Treasure Box desktop.

There are some real time humidor monitoring solutions out there to be able to sync up and see you temp/humidity but the Boveda one is clunky and never worked great, and Oasis has one but they charge you a monthly service fee, and the others always seemed sort of meh. So, I had a buddy who is super techy and likes to be a problem solver build this from scratch. He found some temp/rh sensors that were traditionally used in other applications, paired them with a base station (allowing you to name them, control them, etc.), got all the wireless configured properly between all elemetns of the system throughout the house, then custom built and coded a sort of open source GUI from Grafana ( I think) and came up with this (above) after a bunch of tweaking.

Anywhere in the world at a moments notice I can check the gnats ass hair status of all the humidors, and I can even run trends going back up to a year to see how seasonal changes affect things. This is basically the coolest shit ever. It isn't in app form yet but he plans to work on that next. Most robust system I've seen. Red man wins again.

@dflea @dannarc @YellowSnow @RaceBannon @Doogles @PurpleBaze @DHD @UW_Doog_Bot @TurdBomber

I'm still more of a black market & smuggling kind of fast strat AI so why expect to reform now?

And on the subject of weather, I sat outside last night with my leather smoking jacket on around 8pm having one of these after dinner with a beer and a whiskey. As pleasant as can be.
    Id smoke a cigar every day by your pool and shoot the shit with the olds.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2022
    Walked the dog tonight and burned a nice Nicaraguan (or Dominican? Fuck. Should've peeled the ring off.) No rain or snow, about 39 degrees and no wind - and no wind was the key. Drew some nice long, flavor-filled draws along the way for the first time in weeks.

Felt great. Like Castro in Havana. Except in a heavy coat, dodging black ice and scooping up dog shit in a plastic bag.

How far we City Fags have fallen.
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2022
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

And on the subject of weather, I sat outside last night with my leather smoking jacket on around 8pm having one of these after dinner with a beer and a whiskey. As pleasant as can be.
    I'm honest to God considering retiring to Florida just for the cigar lifestyle. And the hot hispanic chicks. And blow.
    Abundance.