Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Inflow / Outflow Fupdate

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Houston school districts blow...you’ll put them in private if you live there (lots of good ones). Burb school district are really good...Friendswood, Katy, and Pearland all have very good schools...think Kingwood and Woodlands do too but not familiar with them.

Houses are cheap...in the burbs for $500k-$600k you can get a 4,500 ft2 house on a lake with a really nice pool...for $400k you can get a 3,000 ft2 house with a pool easy. Move inside 610 and that goes way, way up.

Taxes are actually progressive here...main tax is real estate on your house so you have to keep that in mind as well. And if the house didn’t flood in the last two events unlikely it ever will. Main problem is just the mass amount of building without building out the drainage system with it...that’s happening now.

Is the property tax fairly big in Texas? I've always been told that's the other side of the value proposition.
    3+% of appraised value in many parts (where you’d want to live) with some homestead deductions and such. It’s part of what keeps house prices down overall so it has its pluses and minuses...as conservative as I am I think it’s a great way to tax people. To many ways to hide income...much harder to hide how you live.
    I can see the merits in higher property taxes and lowering them else where. In OR it's like 1% of assessed value, but the assessed value can only be raised like 1 or 2% per year from the original home price . So our current assessed value is like half the current fair market value. What I don't have going for me is the 9% income tax. Fuck.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Since I work for an oil company whose U.S. base is Houston, I have a lot of coworkers who have swapped between that area and this in both directions. Everyone I know who's sold their place in Anacortes/Bellingham/etc. and moved to Houston ends up showing me pictures of their gross gigantic brick mansion with pool in Houston with cash left over to buy a boat. They pay the same there, too.

What's funny is that the people who grew up in the south and move here ALWAYS want to find their way back to the south. A coworker from Louisiana ended up transferring back. Another one from Louisiana is looking to do the same. Ditto two from Texas. On the other hand, I can think of only one who went from this area to Texas and didn't either find their way back at the first chance or wants to ASAP.

Seems there's a certain lifestyle (climate, outdoor activities, scenery, attitude) that people get used to, and it's hard to change.

Winter in the deep South, summer in the Pacific Northwest.

It's what people of a certain, shall we say, affluence are able to do.

That right there is the goal. Pray Creepy gets the property in the Keys from Pops and I'll have a Finance Board rally down there in January just to drive the point home to everyone.

Note that we? will be watching post counts and taking a daily average of Tug vs. Finance posts. You'll want to be on the right side of our algorithm to get an invite.
    For dumbasses with no financial acumen like me, can you just count my kissass chins of your posts instead?
    I'll allow it.

Chinning my posts is, I must admit, a huge gesture of charity.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,847
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Houston school districts blow...you’ll put them in private if you live there (lots of good ones). Burb school district are really good...Friendswood, Katy, and Pearland all have very good schools...think Kingwood and Woodlands do too but not familiar with them.

Houses are cheap...in the burbs for $500k-$600k you can get a 4,500 ft2 house on a lake with a really nice pool...for $400k you can get a 3,000 ft2 house with a pool easy. Move inside 610 and that goes way, way up.

Taxes are actually progressive here...main tax is real estate on your house so you have to keep that in mind as well. And if the house didn’t flood in the last two events unlikely it ever will. Main problem is just the mass amount of building without building out the drainage system with it...that’s happening now.

Is the property tax fairly big in Texas? I've always been told that's the other side of the value proposition.
    3+% of appraised value in many parts (where you’d want to live) with some homestead deductions and such. It’s part of what keeps house prices down overall so it has its pluses and minuses...as conservative as I am I think it’s a great way to tax people. To many ways to hide income...much harder to hide how you live.
    I can see the merits in higher property taxes and lowering them else where. In OR it's like 1% of assessed value, but the assessed value can only be raised like 1 or 2% per year from the original home price . So our current assessed value is like half the current fair market value. What I don't have going for me is the 9% income tax. Fuck.
    Subjective property taxes are bullshit. Oppressive on old people. "Assessed" value. Blow job....blow job...blow job (Animal House reference).

Take that to the Tug (TTTTT), I know.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @dflea is right about the midwest you know.

Weather power rankings show the Northwest behind California and ahead of everyone else

Rain never bothered me until it bothered my wife
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    Swaye's Wigwam

Weather power rankings show the Northwest behind California and ahead of everyone else

The humidity is what gets me. Anywhere. I don't mind humidity if I'm in flip flops and swimming trunks. But goddamned, I hate the sweat running down my back while wearing a button down/sport coat (fuck ties) when I have to suit up for bidness. Air conditioning is fine once you're settled inside but the Throbber just doesn't like to glisten.

Even in SoCal, it's so much more humid than the Inland Northwest. If it weren't for this goddamned snow, it would be perfect here. No bugs, no poisonous reptiles, no humidity, lots of Trump flags....oops, TTTTT, I know.

The real Inland Empire is very dry. Humidity under 20% most of the time
  • Options

Subjective property taxes are bullshit. Oppressive on old people. "Assessed" value. Blow job....blow job...blow job (Animal House reference).

Take that to the Tug (TTTTT), I know.

Hey, it's a perfectly OK to bitch about property taxes assessed values here. Just remember you're at Bushwood, Sir, and not some dive bar full of drunken sailors on the Tacoma waterfront.

Blow job...blow job..blow job...
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Since I work for an oil company whose U.S. base is Houston, I have a lot of coworkers who have swapped between that area and this in both directions. Everyone I know who's sold their place in Anacortes/Bellingham/etc. and moved to Houston ends up showing me pictures of their gross gigantic brick mansion with pool in Houston with cash left over to buy a boat. They pay the same there, too.

What's funny is that the people who grew up in the south and move here ALWAYS want to find their way back to the south. A coworker from Louisiana ended up transferring back. Another one from Louisiana is looking to do the same. Ditto two from Texas. On the other hand, I can think of only one who went from this area to Texas and didn't either find their way back at the first chance or wants to ASAP.

Seems there's a certain lifestyle (climate, outdoor activities, scenery, attitude) that people get used to, and it's hard to change.

That right there is the goal. Pray Creepy gets the property in the Keys from Pops and I'll have a Finance Board rally down there in January just to drive the point home to everyone.

Note that we? will be watching post counts and taking a daily average of Tug vs. Finance posts. You'll want to be on the right side of our algorithm to get an invite.
    I'd like to take this opportunity to remind creep that he owes me for 2 Apple Cup bets, and having Yella and me down to the Key West property for a little snook and tarpon fishing would satisfy the aforementioned bets. Write that into your algorithm.

Tarpon is on my list. So is snook. Hook us up.

• Options

So I’m cozy as fuck in Texas. Smoken wife who loves college football, 4br/3ba on 1/3 acre, I spend 5.5% of my salary on my mortgage. ball sweat is real, but I’d rather that than wet balls from rain.

That settles it - I’m moving to Texas!
    But, seriously....

@LoneStarDawg - what's the Corpus Christi area like?

And does it get way too banjo-music like on S. Padre Island or Port Isabel?

I needs me some cool breeze and bud, mon.

• Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,117
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

So I’m cozy as fuck in Texas. Smoken wife who loves college football, 4br/3ba on 1/3 acre, I spend 5.5% of my salary on my mortgage. ball sweat is real, but I’d rather that than wet balls from rain.

But, seriously....

I’ve never been, however the wife says “less dirty than Galveston, corpus is a fishing town, padre is a beach town”

The gulf in general is underwhelming, it’s a sweaty version of the Oregon coast.

Banjo music? This isn’t the ozarks, you’re not going to get ass raped
  • Options
    edited February 2021

But, seriously....

I’ve never been, however the wife says “less dirty than Galveston, corpus is a fishing town, padre is a beach town”

The gulf in general is underwhelming, it’s a sweaty version of the Oregon coast.

Banjo music? This isn’t the ozarks, you’re not going to get ass raped
    I’m pretty hot. It’s always a threat.

This is the kind of insider information you don’t get from those fags over on the tug
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,586
    I think the concerns are unwarranted. The rise of remote communication makes living pretty much anywhere far more feasible. So I think you'll see a massive rise in the quality of live in midsize cities and then of course a fall because they will also get expensive.

Then onto the next one.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,586
    edited February 2021

The humidity is what gets me. Anywhere. I don't mind humidity if I'm in flip flops and swimming trunks. But goddamned, I hate the sweat running down my back while wearing a button down/sport coat (fuck ties) when I have to suit up for bidness. Air conditioning is fine once you're settled inside but the Throbber just doesn't like to glisten.

Even in SoCal, it's so much more humid than the Inland Northwest. If it weren't for this goddamned snow, it would be perfect here. No bugs, no poisonous reptiles, no humidity, lots of Trump flags....oops, TTTTT, I know.

Nothing better than showing up for a meeting with your jacket soaked through and red faced.

As a sales rep in az it really wasn't that bad. Car straight to ice cold ac. But when I was a sales rep in maryland I was like holy God during the summer.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    dflea said:

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind creep that he owes me for 2 Apple Cup bets, and having Yella and me down to the Key West property for a little snook and tarpon fishing would satisfy the aforementioned bets. Write that into your algorithm.

Tarpon is on my list. So is snook. Hook us up.

Grouper, Yellowtail and Bonefish too brother. You'd love them all. Trust me.

Trust me on this too: if things break my way, the algorithm will pick you guys up.