Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Inflow / Outflow Fupdate

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,983
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

If I ever move away from Texas I’m probably heading back to Nashville or somewhere in North Carolina. Beautiful areas...seasons...low tax...and generally more laid back folks than most areas. Heard New Mexico is nice as well but only driven through it.

But youngest isn’t even in school yet so it’s going to be a while...

So riddle me this @HoustonHusky ...

I've read in various publications that the "carcinogenic coast" (lulz) aka Houston has the best combination of high wages combined with affordable (nice) housing of any major metro in the USA. How are the public schools? What percentage of the housing stock is on high ground and won't get flooded during a tropical storm? What's a 3000 sq ft 4 Bedroom + with a pool run you that meets the aforementioned requirements?

I'll always be a "never Texan" to quote @LoneStarDawg but this is more due to climate preference and types outdoor recreation activities.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,520
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

pawz said:

Lots to unpack here ... but I'ma gonna only pick 3 ...

That people are on the move is no surprise. Covid really changed how the 'haves' commute and choose where to live. No doubt.

Redfin. El oh El. I'll never take seriously the advice or 'market perspective' offered by a Redfin agent. Roflcopters.

I'll concede a data scientist writing from the hard data on their backend servers is chintereseting perspective, but any sort of advice from run of the mill broker? Fuck right Off with that nonsense.

True story, I was showing a home in Medina literally 4 blocks from BG3 and the Redfin agent and buyer started having a spirited discussion on whether Medina Elementary was in the Bellevue School District. I couldn't handle it anymore. In a slightly more polite manner, I put my foot down to say YES YOU FUCKING MORON (Redfin Agent), OF COURSE IT'S BSD. This is seriously elementary shit (no pun intended).

Reading over the charts provided by the data scientists.... I would have lost a left-nut betting that people moving FROM Seattle went anywhere near Cali, let alone LA.

Chinteresting that Seattle's inflow is mostly from DENVER???!! I haven't run into a single fucking person moving here from Denver. Not a one. In fairness we cater to the Big Tech segment of the market, however again I would have bet heavily on the inflow coming FROM the SFO/Bay area.

@pawz do you see a trend that the Redfins and Zillows over- or underestimate values? Or is it just random all-over-the-place shit?
    If it's a cookie cutter, track neighborhood sure.gif ...

If there is a ton of variety, custom like West Bellevue? GTFO...

My experience is its usually not accurate and it causes major head aches when Sellers wonder why we told them a number lower....

Cheap quip o' the Day: Its a Zestimate, not a Zappraisal
    I love my redfin app because wherever I am I can see whats for sale for what. But I wouldn't use a discount agent
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

pawz said:

pawz said:

Lots to unpack here ... but I'ma gonna only pick 3 ...

That people are on the move is no surprise. Covid really changed how the 'haves' commute and choose where to live. No doubt.

Redfin. El oh El. I'll never take seriously the advice or 'market perspective' offered by a Redfin agent. Roflcopters.

I'll concede a data scientist writing from the hard data on their backend servers is chintereseting perspective, but any sort of advice from run of the mill broker? Fuck right Off with that nonsense.

True story, I was showing a home in Medina literally 4 blocks from BG3 and the Redfin agent and buyer started having a spirited discussion on whether Medina Elementary was in the Bellevue School District. I couldn't handle it anymore. In a slightly more polite manner, I put my foot down to say YES YOU FUCKING MORON (Redfin Agent), OF COURSE IT'S BSD. This is seriously elementary shit (no pun intended).

Reading over the charts provided by the data scientists.... I would have lost a left-nut betting that people moving FROM Seattle went anywhere near Cali, let alone LA.

Chinteresting that Seattle's inflow is mostly from DENVER???!! I haven't run into a single fucking person moving here from Denver. Not a one. In fairness we cater to the Big Tech segment of the market, however again I would have bet heavily on the inflow coming FROM the SFO/Bay area.

@pawz do you see a trend that the Redfins and Zillows over- or underestimate values? Or is it just random all-over-the-place shit?
    If it's a cookie cutter, track neighborhood sure.gif ...

If there is a ton of variety, custom like West Bellevue? GTFO...

My experience is its usually not accurate and it causes major head aches when Sellers wonder why we told them a number lower....

Cheap quip o' the Day: Its a Zestimate, not a Zappraisal
    I love my redfin app because wherever I am I can see whats for sale for what. But I wouldn't use a discount agent
    Discount agent = immanent disaster for most. Good agents are still worth full commission IMHO.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2021
    Houston school districts blow...you’ll put them in private if you live there (lots of good ones). Burb school district are really good...Friendswood, Katy, and Pearland all have very good schools...think Kingwood and Woodlands do too but not familiar with them.

Houses are cheap...in the burbs for $500k-$600k you can get a 4,500 ft2 house on a lake with a really nice pool...for $400k you can get a 3,000 ft2 house with a pool easy. Move inside 610 and that goes way, way up.

Taxes are actually progressive here...main tax is real estate on your house so you have to keep that in mind as well. And if the house didn’t flood in the last two events unlikely it ever will. Main problem is just the mass amount of building without building out the drainage system with it...that’s happening now.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,317
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Since I work for an oil company whose U.S. base is Houston, I have a lot of coworkers who have swapped between that area and this in both directions. Everyone I know who's sold their place in Anacortes/Bellingham/etc. and moved to Houston ends up showing me pictures of their gross gigantic brick mansion with pool in Houston with cash left over to buy a boat. They pay the same there, too.

What's funny is that the people who grew up in the south and move here ALWAYS want to find their way back to the south. A coworker from Louisiana ended up transferring back. Another one from Louisiana is looking to do the same. Ditto two from Texas. On the other hand, I can think of only one who went from this area to Texas and didn't either find their way back at the first chance or wants to ASAP.

Seems there's a certain lifestyle (climate, outdoor activities, scenery, attitude) that people get used to, and it's hard to change.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Houston school districts blow...you’ll put them in private if you live there (lots of good ones). Burb school district are really good...Friendswood, Katy, and Pearland all have very good schools...think Kingwood and Woodlands do too but not familiar with them.

Houses are cheap...in the burbs for $500k-$600k you can get a 4,500 ft2 house on a lake with a really nice pool...for $400k you can get a 3,000 ft2 house with a pool easy. Move inside 610 and that goes way, way up.

Taxes are actually progressive here...main tax is real estate on your house so you have to keep that in mind as well. And if the house didn’t flood in the last two events unlikely it ever will. Main problem is just the mass amount of building without building out the drainage system with it...that’s happening now.

Is the property tax fairly big in Texas? I've always been told that's the other side of the value proposition.
  • Options

Since I work for an oil company whose U.S. base is Houston, I have a lot of coworkers who have swapped between that area and this in both directions. Everyone I know who's sold their place in Anacortes/Bellingham/etc. and moved to Houston ends up showing me pictures of their gross gigantic brick mansion with pool in Houston with cash left over to buy a boat. They pay the same there, too.

What's funny is that the people who grew up in the south and move here ALWAYS want to find their way back to the south. A coworker from Louisiana ended up transferring back. Another one from Louisiana is looking to do the same. Ditto two from Texas. On the other hand, I can think of only one who went from this area to Texas and didn't either find their way back at the first chance or wants to ASAP.

Seems there's a certain lifestyle (climate, outdoor activities, scenery, attitude) that people get used to, and it's hard to change.

Bingo.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Took a solid 4 years to feel Texan, and I moved as a single guy with zero connections. It’s a very opposite culture to Seattle (duh). growing up in Vancouver I was always a Bible thumper conservative but in Dallas Texas I came across as a hippy liberal, took a while to adjust and find my way.

DFW by default is extroverted, if that’s you it’s great. Seattle by default is introverted, and if that’s you then you’ll always be pissed off by friendly helpful neighbors, chatty supermarket employees and overly social coworkers. People can’t leave each other alone.

A saying that I heard before I moved here was “be careful marrying a Texan, Texas women don’t leave Texas for long”.

So it’s not surprising people migrate home. It’s taken 15 years and covid/Antifa for me to realize I never want to raise my kids in Portland or Seattle. It’s fucking social cancer, my nieces and nephews deal with so much suicide and bullshit. In Texas I need to worry about my kids being workaholics and overachievers because that’s very common here.

So I’m cozy as fuck in Texas. Smoken wife who loves college football, 4br/3ba on 1/3 acre, I spend 5.5% of my salary on my mortgage. ball sweat is real, but I’d rather that than wet balls from rain.

Oh and I can go to these restaurant things, and pay people to give me food and beverage.

@LoneStarDawg there's no question Texas offers a lot that Seattle or Portland can not or will not, reasonably priced housing being at the top of the list. And If I have to choose between introverted vs extroverted living, I'm always going to take the latter. Once I started having kids, my taste for Seattle started to wane dramatically. 2019-20 and first year of Kindergarten was when things really went south when I got to stare into the twisted soul of Seattle Public Schools and Seattle Education Association. No thank you.

The older I get, the more living amongst my tribe has become important to me. I've finally got that now and it would be hard to leave.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2021

Yes. I became addicted to steelhead and salmon fishing growing up and now I feel like I'm bound to the Pacific Northwest.

Sure, there are places in the midwest with both, but fuck the midwest. I know the weather sucks a lot of the time here, but it's hard to beat when the weather is good.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

Yes. I became addicted to steelhead and salmon fishing growing up and now I feel like I'm bound to the Pacific Northwest.

Sure, there are places in the midwest with both, but fuck the midwest. I know the weather sucks a lot of the time here, but it's hard to beat when the weather is good.

The @puppylove_sugarsteel fishing is better in Michigan BTW. Sad but true.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,899

Winter in the deep South, summer in the Pacific Northwest.

It's what people of a certain, shall we say, affluence are able to do.

• Options

dflea said:

The @puppylove_sugarsteel fishing is better in Michigan BTW. Sad but true.
    Except you have to deal with Michiganders. Right up there with Kansans.

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2021

Is the property tax fairly big in Texas? I've always been told that's the other side of the value proposition.
    3+% of appraised value in many parts (where you’d want to live) with some homestead deductions and such. It’s part of what keeps house prices down overall so it has its pluses and minuses...as conservative as I am I think it’s a great way to tax people. To many ways to hide income...much harder to hide how you live.
  • Options
    dflea said:

No question about that.
  • Options
    dflea said:

All 4 days per year.

• Options
    edited February 2021

That right there is the goal. Pray Creepy gets the property in the Keys from Pops and I'll have a Finance Board rally down there in January just to drive the point home to everyone.

Note that we? will be watching post counts and taking a daily average of Tug vs. Finance posts. You'll want to be on the right side of our algorithm to get an invite.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

That right there is the goal. Pray Creepy gets the property in the Keys from Pops and I'll have a Finance Board rally down there in January just to drive the point home to everyone.

Note that we? will be watching post counts and taking a daily average of Tug vs. Finance posts. You'll want to be on the right side of our algorithm to get an invite.
    @RaceBannon is offering hot Temecula MILFs and some dank bud.....