Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Inflow / Outflow Fupdate

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

@pawz you're up. This is your area ese.

Seriously. I feel like relocating anywhere is like chess...you have to be two or three steps ahead of your opponent in real estate or else you get squeezed out.

As much as I’m trying to be more dispassionate about this stuff, my heart does go out to the locals who have lived (and invested) in these communities. Just as they’re ready to buy their first home a bunch of rich pricks swoop in from out of state. And as the article states, it’s not like their wages are being adjusted for the higher cost of living. Seattlities are doing the very thing to other cities that was done to them a few decades ago.
    Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good when it comes to real estate.

I keep trying to divine where is the next hot spot going to be among the medium size towns. Seems like anything within 45 mins of a GA airport and having good outdoor recreation amenities is long since discovered. How are prices in Taos @DerekJohnson ?
    It has cooled off
    Looking at Zillow now. Is there a law that every home has to be pueblo influenced architecture?
    My condo had dropped in value by $17,000, according to Redfin
    In WA or where you were researching in NM?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,845
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2021

Fuck! Boise was one of the places I was looking at moving to so I could escape from the Seattle/California douchebags.

*Sigh*

Boise jumped the shark a dozen years ago. Aside from the 100,000 native Boiseans, it’s all Seattle/Cali douchebags.

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Fuck! Boise was one of the places I was looking at moving to so I could escape from the Seattle/California douchebags.

*Sigh*

Boise jumped the shark a dozen years ago. Aside from the 100,000 native Boiseans, it’s all Seattle/Cali douchebags.

Well, shit...as the saying goes, either you die a hero or you live long enough to become the villain. (In a matter of speaking.)

I don’t like the idea of being one of a horde of jerks that moves to a city and destroys what made it awesome, but maybe that’s going to happen.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I know it's not fun to use as an example, but I believe in Seattle bouncing back and will stay long here. I know I'm going to move someday, but the days of me relocating and finding another job at the same level and comp. as what I have here are behind me. I have entertained a couple of recruiters and almost bit on two offers, but ultimately decided fuck it, I'll stay and finish here.

As one of the people who previously predicted Seattle’s DOOM.gif, you might be right. Rents are dropping and the light rail will be coming. Who knows? I think for you @creepycoug it’s smart to let it ride.

My reasons to relocate aren’t financial...I’ve just lived here too long and desperately want a change.
    I feel you sista. I've been itching to get out for a while, even if ostensibly Seattle has much going for it. The weather has tended to bother me more as I age.

With the kids going to school back east, I have done extensive travel ... not just to the big obvious spots, but all around following them in sports. I've been all over western Mass, all over upstate NY, all over Connecticut and this past summer all around Rhode Island and the coast. There are a lot of cool places to live back there and, if you stay out of upstate NY, you get better weather. Hear me out before lol'ing at me. Yeah, the winters are more harsh and last longer ... but you see blue sky and sun MUCH more often than you do here, and I have found that matters to me. I can handle the cold despite my swarthy genetics; I just need to see the fucking sky at least 3 times a week.

Cali is wonderful but as I've reported previously, it's not my vibe. In terms of places I've felt I could move to and be happy, many are in greater New England. Boston is the shit, but way too fucking expensive. It's like a half-click more pricey than here. But Providence is really nice. New Port is super nice (but spendy). Hartford, eh, not so much. But there are a lot of smaller towns that are close enough to the cities in NE that you could choose from. There are a shit load of them on the Connecticut southern coast along Long Island Sound, and RI is full of waterfront. I also really like Western Mass. Any of those college towns, like Amherst, Northampton, etc. would do. Saratoga Springs may just be the coolest small town I've been to anywhere, but the weather is different in upstate than it is in New England proper. It's a lot like here with the grey, only way harsher. Of course the problem with New England are the taxes unless you're in New Hampshire. They don't call it Taxachussetts for nothing.
    Yup. In my research of different cities/regions I’ve been surprised how much weather has slowly creeped (heh) up the list of things I find important. The rain/gloom has really been doing a number on me this year, which is not surprising when you no long have fun activities/normal socializing to offset it (thanks COVID).

I’m hopeful in the next year or two I’ll be in a place in my career where I can be one of the remote Zoom-town workers and experience someplace else.
    Where do you want to go? What's the general plan if it all works out?
    I’ve always been drawn to the mountain-west region. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado. I’m also starting to wonder if the Southwest (Arizona or New Mexico) might be a good area for me. I just worry about that region’s water supply in the coming decades.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I know it's not fun to use as an example, but I believe in Seattle bouncing back and will stay long here. I know I'm going to move someday, but the days of me relocating and finding another job at the same level and comp. as what I have here are behind me. I have entertained a couple of recruiters and almost bit on two offers, but ultimately decided fuck it, I'll stay and finish here.

As one of the people who previously predicted Seattle’s DOOM.gif, you might be right. Rents are dropping and the light rail will be coming. Who knows? I think for you @creepycoug it’s smart to let it ride.

My reasons to relocate aren’t financial...I’ve just lived here too long and desperately want a change.
    I feel you sista. I've been itching to get out for a while, even if ostensibly Seattle has much going for it. The weather has tended to bother me more as I age.

With the kids going to school back east, I have done extensive travel ... not just to the big obvious spots, but all around following them in sports. I've been all over western Mass, all over upstate NY, all over Connecticut and this past summer all around Rhode Island and the coast. There are a lot of cool places to live back there and, if you stay out of upstate NY, you get better weather. Hear me out before lol'ing at me. Yeah, the winters are more harsh and last longer ... but you see blue sky and sun MUCH more often than you do here, and I have found that matters to me. I can handle the cold despite my swarthy genetics; I just need to see the fucking sky at least 3 times a week.

Cali is wonderful but as I've reported previously, it's not my vibe. In terms of places I've felt I could move to and be happy, many are in greater New England. Boston is the shit, but way too fucking expensive. It's like a half-click more pricey than here. But Providence is really nice. New Port is super nice (but spendy). Hartford, eh, not so much. But there are a lot of smaller towns that are close enough to the cities in NE that you could choose from. There are a shit load of them on the Connecticut southern coast along Long Island Sound, and RI is full of waterfront. I also really like Western Mass. Any of those college towns, like Amherst, Northampton, etc. would do. Saratoga Springs may just be the coolest small town I've been to anywhere, but the weather is different in upstate than it is in New England proper. It's a lot like here with the grey, only way harsher. Of course the problem with New England are the taxes unless you're in New Hampshire. They don't call it Taxachussetts for nothing.
    Yup. In my research of different cities/regions I’ve been surprised how much weather has slowly creeped (heh) up the list of things I find important. The rain/gloom has really been doing a number on me this year, which is not surprising when you no long have fun activities/normal socializing to offset it (thanks COVID).

I’m hopeful in the next year or two I’ll be in a place in my career where I can be one of the remote Zoom-town workers and experience someplace else.
    Where do you want to go? What's the general plan if it all works out?
    I’ve always been drawn to the mountain-west region. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado. I’m also starting to wonder if the Southwest (Arizona or New Mexico) might be a good area for me. I just worry about that region’s water supply in the coming decades.
    Idaho is on my list because of @PurpleThrobber and because I've been and I like it. I'm also white enough to pass and can just use the non-Latino version of my first name. And for people who would take offense, my hispanic last name is not stereotypically hispanic (thought it is a common name).
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The pleading for clicks here has gotten embarrassing

We just open the doors at the Tug and its filled up with scum and villainy
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Yes, but how wretched is it?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

*Sigh*

Mrs Snow is a born and raised Boise native. My guess is she would like it better now than in her youth. Neither one us is at home in a deeply red or blue zip. Purple is more our speed.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nope this place is dead compared to the Tug

Enjoy your little knitting circle. The men are talking in the Tug
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yes, but how wretched is it?
    I've seen you there across the smokey room with romance in your eyes

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

*Sigh*

Mrs Snow is a born and raised Boise native. My guess is she would like it better now than in her youth. Neither one us is at home in a deeply red or blue zip. Purple is more our speed.
    I vaguely remembering you say that. The political landscape is part of my problem - like you I’m looking to be in a purple zip code, but 1) where are those places anymore? 2) with migration how long will they stay that way? Everything changes and evolves, sure, but as I get older I don’t have the patience or energy for things moving at such a breakneck pace anymore.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,845

*Sigh*

Capital, Boise or Borah?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

*Sigh*

Capital, Boise or Borah?

Boise city limits.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

There's also less traffic in Atherton than there is in Tacoma.

I know where I'd rather live.

Maybe I should start a "Fuck you Jay Inslee!" or racial and ethnic IQ scores thread. That'll draw in the high rollers.

Trying to imagine a smart guy like @DawgsCanDance wanting to jump into that mud puddle.

;)
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Maybe I should start a "Fuck you Jay Inslee!" or IQ racial and ethnic IQ scores thread. That'll draw in the high rollers.

Trying to imagine a smart guy like @DawgsCanDance wanting to jump into that mud puddle.

;)
    I’m more of a Redwood Shores guy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Maybe I should start a "Fuck you Jay Inslee!" or racial and ethnic IQ scores thread. That'll draw in the high rollers.

;)
    We have it

You don't

And we aren't afraid to spike the ball
  • Options

Nope this place is dead compared to the Tug

Enjoy your little knitting circle. The men are talking in the Tug

The Tug is always gonna get the most clicks of the non sports boreds. Nothing gets folks fired up like arguing politics. I don’t know that it checks any boxes for manliness.
    The unemployment rate is statistically higher in the Tug. It’s a tavern for Christ’s sake.