Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Fuck! Boise was one of the places I was looking at moving to so I could escape from the Seattle/California douchebags.

*Sigh*
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    @pawz you're up. This is your area ese.
  • Options
    I know it's not fun to use as an example, but I believe in Seattle bouncing back and will stay long here. I know I'm going to move someday, but the days of me relocating and finding another job at the same level and comp. as what I have here are behind me. I have entertained a couple of recruiters and almost bit on two offers, but ultimately decided fuck it, I'll stay and finish here.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

Seriously. I feel like relocating anywhere is like chess...you have to be two or three steps ahead of your opponent in real estate or else you get squeezed out.

As much as I’m trying to be more dispassionate about this stuff, my heart does go out to the locals who have lived (and invested) in these communities. Just as they’re ready to buy their first home a bunch of rich pricks swoop in from out of state. And as the article states, it’s not like their wages are being adjusted for the higher cost of living. Seattlities are doing the very thing to other cities that was done to them a few decades ago.
  • Options

Seriously. I feel like relocating anywhere is like chess...you have to be two or three steps ahead of your opponent in real estate or else you get squeezed out.

As much as I’m trying to be more dispassionate about this stuff, my heart does go out to the locals who have lived (and invested) in these communities. Just as they’re ready to buy their first home a bunch of rich pricks swoop in from out of state. And as the article states, it’s not like their wages are being adjusted for the higher cost of living. Seattlities are doing the very thing to other cities that was done to them a few decades ago.
    Oh shit yes.

I remember meeting people here who were buying big houses and living large, and you'd get to know them and they were often (not trying to sound like a prick here) fairly unsophisticated folks with pretty average careers from Cali selling a 1300 rambler in wherever and using that 1.1 million to buy something nice up here (back then that is).
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Oh shit yes.

I remember meeting people here who were buying big houses and living large, and you'd get to know them and they were often (not trying to sound like a prick here) fairly unsophisticated folks with pretty average careers from Cali selling a 1300 rambler in wherever and using that 1.1 million to buy something nice up here (back then that is).
    In some ways, good for them! Some people are just lucky...in the right place at the right time.

It’s just *I* want to be one of those assholes! 😅
  • Options
    edited February 2021

I know it's not fun to use as an example, but I believe in Seattle bouncing back and will stay long here. I know I'm going to move someday, but the days of me relocating and finding another job at the same level and comp. as what I have here are behind me. I have entertained a couple of recruiters and almost bit on two offers, but ultimately decided fuck it, I'll stay and finish here.

As one of the people who previously predicted Seattle’s DOOM.gif, you might be right. Rents are dropping and the light rail will be coming. Who knows? I think for you @creepycoug it’s smart to let it ride.

My reasons to relocate aren’t financial...I’ve just lived here too long and desperately want a change.
    I feel you sista. I've been itching to get out for a while, even if ostensibly Seattle has much going for it. The weather has tended to bother me more as I age.

With the kids going to school back east, I have done extensive travel ... not just to the big obvious spots, but all around following them in sports. I've been all over western Mass, all over upstate NY, all over Connecticut and this past summer all around Rhode Island and the coast. There are a lot of cool places to live back there and, if you stay out of upstate NY, you get better weather. Hear me out before lol'ing at me. Yeah, the winters are more harsh and last longer ... but you see blue sky and sun MUCH more often than you do here, and I have found that matters to me. I can handle the cold despite my swarthy genetics; I just need to see the fucking sky at least 3 times a week.

Cali is wonderful but as I've reported previously, it's not my vibe. In terms of places I've felt I could move to and be happy, many are in greater New England. Boston is the shit, but way too fucking expensive. It's like a half-click more pricey than here. But Providence is really nice. New Port is super nice (but spendy). Hartford, eh, not so much. But there are a lot of smaller towns that are close enough to the cities in NE that you could choose from. There are a shit load of them on the Connecticut southern coast along Long Island Sound, and RI is full of waterfront. I also really like Western Mass. Any of those college towns, like Amherst, Northampton, etc. would do. Saratoga Springs may just be the coolest small town I've been to anywhere, but the weather is different in upstate than it is in New England proper. It's a lot like here with the grey, only way harsher. Of course the problem with New England are the taxes unless you're in New Hampshire. They don't call it Taxachussetts for nothing.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

As one of the people who previously predicted Seattle’s DOOM.gif, you might be right. Rents are dropping and the light rail will be coming. Who knows? I think for you @creepycoug it’s smart to let it ride.

My reasons to relocate aren’t financial...I’ve just lived here too long and desperately want a change.
    I feel you sista. I've been itching to get out for a while, even if ostensibly Seattle has much going for it. The weather has tended to bother me more as I age.

With the kids going to school back east, I have done extensive travel ... not just to the big obvious spots, but all around following them in sports. I've been all over western Mass, all over upstate NY, all over Connecticut and this past summer all around Rhode Island and the coast. There are a lot of cool places to live back there and, if you stay out of upstate NY, you get better weather. Hear me out before lol'ing at me. Yeah, the winters are more harsh and last longer ... but you see blue sky and sun MUCH more often than you do here, and I have found that matters to me. I can handle the cold despite my swarthy genetics; I just need to see the fucking sky at least 3 times a week.

Cali is wonderful but as I've reported previously, it's not my vibe. In terms of places I've felt I could move to and be happy, many are in greater New England. Boston is the shit, but way too fucking expensive. It's like a half-click more pricey than here. But Providence is really nice. New Port is super nice (but spendy). Hartford, eh, not so much. But there are a lot of smaller towns that are close enough to the cities in NE that you could choose from. There are a shit load of them on the Connecticut southern coast along Long Island Sound, and RI is full of waterfront. I also really like Western Mass. Any of those college towns, like Amherst, Northampton, etc. would do. Saratoga Springs may just be the coolest small town I've been to anywhere, but the weather is different in upstate than it is in New England proper. It's a lot like here with the grey, only way harsher. Of course the problem with New England are the taxes unless you're in New Hampshire. They don't call it Taxachussetts for nothing.
    Yup. In my research of different cities/regions I’ve been surprised how much weather has slowly creeped (heh) up the list of things I find important. The rain/gloom has really been doing a number on me this year, which is not surprising when you no long have fun activities/normal socializing to offset it (thanks COVID).

I’m hopeful in the next year or two I’ll be in a place in my career where I can be one of the remote Zoom-town workers and experience someplace else.
  • Options

Yup. In my research of different cities/regions I’ve been surprised how much weather has slowly creeped (heh) up the list of things I find important. The rain/gloom has really been doing a number on me this year, which is not surprising when you no long have fun activities/normal socializing to offset it (thanks COVID).

I’m hopeful in the next year or two I’ll be in a place in my career where I can be one of the remote Zoom-town workers and experience someplace else.
    Where do you want to go? What's the general plan if it all works out?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good when it comes to real estate.

I keep trying to divine where is the next hot spot going to be among the medium size towns. Seems like anything within 45 mins of a GA airport and having good outdoor recreation amenities is long since discovered. How are prices in Taos @DerekJohnson ?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,002
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I keep trying to divine where is the next hot spot going to be among the medium size towns. Seems like anything within 45 mins of a GA airport and having good outdoor recreation amenities is long since discovered. How are prices in Taos @DerekJohnson ?
    It has cooled off
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,778
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Tonight. Currently I am pour and must werk.
  • Options
    pawz said:

Spend moar tim here and less in the Tug and we'll get that straightened fer ya.

With all due respect to @RaceBannon .
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,778
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021

pawz said:

Spend moar tim here and less in the Tug and we'll get that straightened fer ya.

With all due respect to @RaceBannon .
    Since the first Tuesday in November.....

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,002
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

It has cooled off
    Looking at Zillow now. Is there a law that every home has to be pueblo influenced architecture?
    My condo had dropped in value by $17,000, according to Redfin