Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Promote Gregory to DC?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    TBH I don’t care that Jimmy hired Bob...it actually makes a lot of sense because our defense has been very good the last 4 years. But in the context of all the other shitty assistant coach hires by Jimmy it reinforces the notion of Jimmy being lazy, unimaginative, and not having the pull or realization of the needs of the entire program (recruiting/offense still sucking/etc...)
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,031
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dtd said:

Tequilla said:

Either Huard is going to suck or Husky legend John Donovan is good
    For whatever it is worth K also had positive things to say about JonDon on the way out the door
    And Chip Kelly told Oregon's AD to hire Mark Helfrich.
    i still dont think sling got enough tim, huge mess chipper left.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,921
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

TBH I don’t care that Jimmy hired Bob...it actually makes a lot of sense because our defense has been very good the last 4 years. But in the context of all the other shitty assistant coach hires by Jimmy it reinforces the notion of Jimmy being lazy, unimaginative, and not having the pull or realization of the needs of the entire program (recruiting/offense still sucking/etc...)

Yep. Jimmy hiring Bob as DC mean he wants the same defense in place we've had for years. That's fine. In all honesty, I'm happier with that move than I would have been had we hired Tim Duruyter. However, That move should gave been made in conjunction with an upgrade at another position. Keeping all the other dead weight coaches around while simply promoting a GA is small time
  • Options
    SanchoSancho Member Posts: 249
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    RealRhino said:

I hope we've calmed down a bit here. Is it likely that Bob was the best possible choice for DC? Of course not. Any time you hire internally or from the family it's shown to be likely a worse choice than if you went outside and did a real search. BUT....

Why is it nobody blasted Oregon for hiring DeRuyter but we get ridiculed/blasted for promoting Gregory. Forget that he's already been here. Check the resumes:

Both were DC at Cal. In DeRuyter's four years his D finished 7, 3, 4, and 5th in the Pac, allowing from 20-28 pts/game.
    In Bob years at Cal his D finished 7, 5, 2, 1, 2, T6, 2, and 7th in the Pac, allowing from 16-27 pts/game.

Bob's average finish was slightly higher than DeRuyter's at the same spot, same league. And his best years were better. Why do we act like Oregon's retread shrivel-dick old white guy DC is better than ours? Because they hired him away from somewhere to do it? And how is he as a recruiter? I have no idea, but I haven't heard of him being great.

Now, did we improve at recruiting? I'd say yes, from the VERY little we know. First, Bob's role there won't really have expanded. So that remains essentially constant. But we swap in Rip for Kwat. Kwat was definitely not known for his recruiting, and the players seem pretty excited about Rip. Which means when HS kids ask, they are going to pass along their praise, which is probably the best recruiting tool there is (besides $$). So we should see a slight improvement.

Don't jump off bridges, LIPO is what I'm saying.

Stop making sense Sancho is here to dp two things steal your beer and freak the fuck out and you're outa beer
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    My Spokane banking @Sources is Bob's best friend since childhood, frat bros at Cuog, etc. Word is although Bob bleeds crimson and shits grey he said, paraphrasing, "for a million, I'll douse myself in all the purple they want."

Looks like he was telling somewhat of a fish story with his old pal and all it took was $800k.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Sancho said:

RealRhino said:

I hope we've calmed down a bit here. Is it likely that Bob was the best possible choice for DC? Of course not. Any time you hire internally or from the family it's shown to be likely a worse choice than if you went outside and did a real search. BUT....

Why is it nobody blasted Oregon for hiring DeRuyter but we get ridiculed/blasted for promoting Gregory. Forget that he's already been here. Check the resumes:

Both were DC at Cal. In DeRuyter's four years his D finished 7, 3, 4, and 5th in the Pac, allowing from 20-28 pts/game.
    In Bob years at Cal his D finished 7, 5, 2, 1, 2, T6, 2, and 7th in the Pac, allowing from 16-27 pts/game.

Bob's average finish was slightly higher than DeRuyter's at the same spot, same league. And his best years were better. Why do we act like Oregon's retread shrivel-dick old white guy DC is better than ours? Because they hired him away from somewhere to do it? And how is he as a recruiter? I have no idea, but I haven't heard of him being great.

Now, did we improve at recruiting? I'd say yes, from the VERY little we know. First, Bob's role there won't really have expanded. So that remains essentially constant. But we swap in Rip for Kwat. Kwat was definitely not known for his recruiting, and the players seem pretty excited about Rip. Which means when HS kids ask, they are going to pass along their praise, which is probably the best recruiting tool there is (besides $$). So we should see a slight improvement.

Don't jump off bridges, LIPO is what I'm saying.

Stop making sense Sancho is here to dp two things steal your beer and freak the fuck out and you're outa beer
    You best go run and hide.

If you know what's good for you