Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Promote Gregory to DC?

Comments

• insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Hot take. Gregory is going to be pretty much identical to Coach K as DC. If you liked Coach K, you should be okay with this move. It takes Gregory off the recruiting trail somewhat, which is a positive. I will accept debates about hiring a QC guy as DL coach, but that has worked out pretty good for Cato. I'm in LIPO mode.

And what evidence is there that Cato's worth a damn other than he finishes in the Top 3 often?
    Other than the fact that we have one of the best TE rooms in the country? Give Paopao some credit, but give Cato credit too.
    We don't have one of the best TE rooms in the country ... that's pretty damn comical

Cade's great but the reality is that he's a local kid that any kind of competent recruiter could have and should have kept at UW.

I'll give credit for getting Redman on board ... he should be a stud. But at this point, he's all potential and no real substance.

And for those quick to say "yeah but" on the Redman comment, rewind 2 years ago and those comments would have been said about Culp who has gone from a "wait until you see what he's going to do" to a "decent part of the rotation but his limitations catching the ball effectively turn him into a high end JAG" type of player to date.

Cato hasn't done jack shit.
    Paopao/Garbers landed Redman. Cato was hired after Redman was already signed.
    Was more of a generic "as a program we got him on board" and the reality with the timing of Paopao leaving, if you recall there was a lot of uncertainty when Pete left and efforts to make sure that everybody was kept in that class. So I'll give credit for being able to keep Redman from going elsewhere.

Other than that, there's nothing to really view at this point other than Redman looks to be a good looking prospect that is in a spot to take the torch from Cade in 2022.
    But why would Cato get any credit for landing a guy when he had no involvement with his recruitment? If you want to give someone credit, give it to Lake for holding onto all of the 2020 commits (probably his best achievement as UW coach). In the weeks between CP stepping down and signing day, Paopao was still the TE coach and Cato wasn't in a position where he could even contact recruits.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,203 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2021
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Hot take. Gregory is going to be pretty much identical to Coach K as DC. If you liked Coach K, you should be okay with this move. It takes Gregory off the recruiting trail somewhat, which is a positive. I will accept debates about hiring a QC guy as DL coach, but that has worked out pretty good for Cato. I'm in LIPO mode.

And what evidence is there that Cato's worth a damn other than he finishes in the Top 3 often?
    Other than the fact that we have one of the best TE rooms in the country? Give Paopao some credit, but give Cato credit too.
    Best TE room? We have Cade for one more year and a bunch of unproven guys. The only big recruiting win Cato's gotten turned out to be a methhead.
    He's landed Quentin Moore, Chance Bogan, kept Cade for another year, has shown promise and effort on the recruiting trail, and can clearly coach. I'd give him a solid grade for the 9 months he's been TE coach.
    Cade stayed because he didn't have enough film on him to get a high enough pick this year to make it worth the while ... coming back and he'll very likely be an easy Top 2 round guy. It makes sense.

Moore was a local kid that while I am optimistic on it being a good get we need to be realistic at what we're doing here. Moore is hopefully a high end guy that is getting brought in to fill gaps in recruiting that effectively didn't pan out for a few years. He wasn't the highest TE on the board last year for us and we missed on the higher targets.

Bogan looks like he's a nice prospect and I look forward to seeing his development. Keeping local players home is a sign of competence vs being a disaster. For me to view a coach as being pretty good or better, you need to start winning recruiting battles against programs that are above your weight class and/or kids from out of the area that you're competing against at least relatively peer schools. Scott Huff is worth a damn. Cato ain't even close to that level at this point.
    If you would have been pissed if Moore and Bogan went elsewhere, which you surely would have, you have to give Cato credit for getting them. And I know its meaningless, but being in a battle vs. Georgia for Bowers is promising. And he did get Yary, despite the issues. Yes, he hasn't proven to be a great coach yet, but I'm saying he's laying a pretty good foundation for a guy that has been on the job for only 9 months. I see promise.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,539 Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Best TE room? We have Cade for one more year and a bunch of unproven guys. The only big recruiting win Cato's gotten turned out to be a methhead.
    He's landed Quentin Moore, Chance Bogan, kept Cade for another year, has shown promise and effort on the recruiting trail, and can clearly coach. I'd give him a solid grade for the 9 months he's been TE coach.
    Cade stayed because he didn't have enough film on him to get a high enough pick this year to make it worth the while ... coming back and he'll very likely be an easy Top 2 round guy. It makes sense.

Moore was a local kid that while I am optimistic on it being a good get we need to be realistic at what we're doing here. Moore is hopefully a high end guy that is getting brought in to fill gaps in recruiting that effectively didn't pan out for a few years. He wasn't the highest TE on the board last year for us and we missed on the higher targets.

Bogan looks like he's a nice prospect and I look forward to seeing his development. Keeping local players home is a sign of competence vs being a disaster. For me to view a coach as being pretty good or better, you need to start winning recruiting battles against programs that are above your weight class and/or kids from out of the area that you're competing against at least relatively peer schools. Scott Huff is worth a damn. Cato ain't even close to that level at this point.
    If you would have been pissed if Moore and Bogan went elsewhere, which you surely would have, you have to give Cato credit for getting them. And I know its meaningless, but being in a battle vs. Georgia for Bowers is promising. And he did get Yary, despite the issues. Yes, he hasn't proven to be a great coach yet, but I'm saying he's laying a pretty good foundation for a guy that has been on the job for only 9 months. I see promise.
    I'm mostly on your side on this one (I mean, tight end coach may be the least important thing if football, so who really gives a fuck anyway) in that I have no problem with Cato and think he seems to be doing a decent job. That being said, he didn't get Yary. USC got Yary, realized he's a crackhead, booted him, and then Cato picked up the sloppy seconds. Yary is a negative mark on Cato's record to me. Should have stayed away from those damaged goods.
    edited February 2021

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I'm mostly on your side on this one (I mean, tight end coach may be the least important thing if football, so who really gives a fuck anyway) in that I have no problem with Cato and think he seems to be doing a decent job. That being said, he didn't get Yary. USC got Yary, realized he's a crackhead, booted him, and then Cato picked up the sloppy seconds. Yary is a negative mark on Cato's record to me. Should have stayed away from those damaged goods.
    Fair, but it does show a willingness to go after some bad dudes. Haven't we been crying for bad dudes for years? Jimmy must have given the green light to go after Yary.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 6,286

If this doesn’t scream “Hiring you’re friends” then I don’t know what this is. But everywhere I’ve been that this happens it never works out in the long run

hardhat said:
    They did and lake got turned down and one of the Candidates went to your rival and said he is about to release the Krakken
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Gregory isn't necessarily the part that bugs me. Hes probably going to be good as DC. It's just the general lack of signs that UW is making big boy moves. He has quickly lowered the look of the program to a lower tier than it is. When the effects of his shit recruiting catch up the reality will match this perception and that is somewhere south of Sarkisian levels.

Unless...ah fuck I dont see any way this surprises me.

Somewhere south of seven wins? That sounds bad.
    I'm talking about more than wins Ern. The south of seven wins territory is just the inevitable finale. The public image of Lake's program has already sunk there and that's fucking ridiculous given what Lake was handed. Wins will soon follow.
  • HireBRoyHireBRoy Member Posts: 77
    Guys, relax. Bob is an OKG.
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Gregory isn't necessarily the part that bugs me. Hes probably going to be good as DC. It's just the general lack of signs that UW is making big boy moves. He has quickly lowered the look of the program to a lower tier than it is. When the effects of his shit recruiting catch up the reality will match this perception and that is somewhere south of Sarkisian levels.

I'm talking about more than wins Ern. The south of seven wins territory is just the inevitable finale. The public image of Lake's program has already sunk there and that's fucking ridiculous given what Lake was handed. Wins will soon follow.
    Did we not just win the north? Let's give Jimmy a full season, shall we?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

We don't have one of the best TE rooms in the country ... that's pretty damn comical

Cade's great but the reality is that he's a local kid that any kind of competent recruiter could have and should have kept at UW.

I'll give credit for getting Redman on board ... he should be a stud. But at this point, he's all potential and no real substance.

And for those quick to say "yeah but" on the Redman comment, rewind 2 years ago and those comments would have been said about Culp who has gone from a "wait until you see what he's going to do" to a "decent part of the rotation but his limitations catching the ball effectively turn him into a high end JAG" type of player to date.

Was more of a generic "as a program we got him on board" and the reality with the timing of Paopao leaving, if you recall there was a lot of uncertainty when Pete left and efforts to make sure that everybody was kept in that class. So I'll give credit for being able to keep Redman from going elsewhere.

Other than that, there's nothing to really view at this point other than Redman looks to be a good looking prospect that is in a spot to take the torch from Cade in 2022.
    But why would Cato get any credit for landing a guy when he had no involvement with his recruitment? If you want to give someone credit, give it to Lake for holding onto all of the 2020 commits (probably his best achievement as UW coach). In the weeks between CP stepping down and signing day, Paopao was still the TE coach and Cato wasn't in a position where he could even contact recruits.
    I agree with you ... Cato deserves minimal credit for Redman
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333

chuck said:

chuck said:

If Jimmy sees unquestionably superior offensive coordinator Tom Herman is available, and uses all the money he just saved promoting Gregory to fire Donovan, I'm ready to give him a full season.

Every single decision he's made has been a shitting all over himself a priori. Donovan/Jimmy's offensive fever dream has been a failure a posteriori, no matter how much people want to keep saying it was better than expected.

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

In golf terms, I see getting Moore and Bogan as playing a Par 4, hitting your drive down the middle, playing to the fat of the green leaving yourself a 30 foot birdie putt, and hitting a good lag putt to tap in distance. It’s a solid result but not anything that you get a ton of credit for. 3 putting would be akin to losing them. Bowers is playing a Par 5 where you need to make eagle, hit a strong drive to give yourself a chance, but you need to hit a perfect 3 wood on the edge of your number to have any chance ... being in a battle just means that you hit the greenside bunker instead of the water hazard fronting the green or the OB to the left.

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Fair, but it does show a willingness to go after some bad dudes. Haven't we been crying for bad dudes for years? Jimmy must have given the green light to go after Yary.
    If Yary’s issues were well known (and it sounds like they were) then he shouldn’t have been brought in

This “we need bad dudes” narrative is fucking idiotic
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    Ballz said:

That’s a terrible hire on face value. Bob’s position group has underwhelmed since the departures of Victor, Bierria, and BBK. He has struggled badly as a recruiter and special teams have been horrible. So basically he’s failing his way to a promotion.

However, we also know Jeff Tedford is a hell of a coach and he trusted BG to be his DC for seven years. That means something and gives me hope. Like I said before, I’ll wait to see the results on the field before I judge. Hopefully having the title of DC will give BG the spark he needs on the recruiting trail. Really all he has to do is get Dishawn Misa for the 2022 class. It’s not that hard.

I am even more confused by the move of Malloe to OLB coach when he has absolutely killed it recruiting and coaching the D-line. I don’t have a problem with promoting an analyst from within because Cato seems to be doing a really good job so far. But Rip Rowan better be fucking ELITE as a recruiter and coach otherwise that move is stupid as fuck. We’ll see.

I like how in Rowen’s bio on gohuskies they added a link to a 247 article that lists him as one of the top 30 coaches in college football under the age of 30. How dumb do they think we are? It’s pretty easy to make that list when there aren’t a lot of college coaches under the age of 30 to begin with.

And why can’t Jimmy fire one of the DB coaches and hire John Timu as ILB coach so Gregory doesn’t have to recruit? At least give us something.

Chest said:

You know it’s a bad hire when even Ballz thinks so.

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

If you want to give someone credit, give it to Lake for holding onto all of the 2020 commits (probably his best achievement as UW coach).
    That was 100% Petersen.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,977 Founders Club

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Pretty sure we? got Yary because of the issues, i.e., we? weren't close enough to see them until he arrived.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Goduckies said:

If this doesn’t scream “Hiring you’re friends” then I don’t know what this is. But everywhere I’ve been that this happens it never works out in the long run

hardhat said:
    They did and lake got turned down and one of the Candidates went to your rival and said he is about to release the Krakken
    edited February 2021
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Fuck that stupid north title. Thats the most ridiculous thing to claim that I've ever heard of in college football. If you feel like your team just won anything of note then you're the only one here who does. That I would bet on.

75% of his job is the offseason, and @GrandpaSankey can see that he sucks at it. His recruiting and staff management doesn't need a season for any objective in server to see that.
    I make judgements based on what happens on the field. Outlandish, I know. Stanford was ugly, but we still should have had a chance to play for the title. Your tune might be different had we won it. In this asterisk of a season, we went 3-1. Hard to make judgements yet. I'm in show-me mode. I'm giving Jimmy the chance to sink or swim on the field. LIPO.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Fuck that stupid north title. Thats the most ridiculous thing to claim that I've ever heard of in college football. If you feel like your team just won anything of note then you're the only one here who does. That I would bet on.

75% of his job is the offseason, and @GrandpaSankey can see that he sucks at it. His recruiting and staff management doesn't need a season for any objective in server to see that.
    I make judgements based on what happens on the field. Outlandish, I know. Stanford was ugly, but we still should have had a chance to play for the title. Your tune might be different had we won it. In this asterisk of a season, we went 3-1. Hard to make judgements yet. I'm in show-me mode. I'm giving Jimmy the chance to sink or swim on the field. LIPO.
    Doog on then. Just don't expect anyone to join you.