Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Promote Gregory to DC?

Comments

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,101
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

This was a "we have a defensive formula that works against everyone but Stanford and a new hire would have fucked with the equation" hire.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

dnc said:

Not only did we promote the shit LB coach to DC, we promoted the "defensive quality control" guy to DL coach.

No creativity. No effort. NOGAF.

Cato has looked like a pretty damn good internal promotion from quality control. LIPO.
    He looks okay though I'd say the jury is still out.

Jimmy has made four staff hires since he's been HC (and multiple moves within the staff.

Jon Donovan
    Terrence Brown
    Two internal quality control coaches

That could not be a more depressing list.
    Yeah, clearly Jimmy has taken after Pete. He's a system guy. It is what it is.

That being said, who is Terrence Brown?
    Pete didn’t just make a steady stream of promotions though, he went outside the program to bring people on multiple ties. Guys he had ties to, sure, but that’s not unusual. He didn’t just settle for “promote the intern” 50% of the time.

And you serious Clark about Brown?
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,415
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Hot take. Gregory is going to be pretty much identical to Coach K as DC. If you liked Coach K, you should be okay with this move. It takes Gregory off the recruiting trail somewhat, which is a positive. I will accept debates about hiring a QC guy as DL coach, but that has worked out pretty good for Cato. I'm in LIPO mode.

And what evidence is there that Cato's worth a damn other than he finishes in the Top 3 often?
    Other than the fact that we have one of the best TE rooms in the country? Give Paopao some credit, but give Cato credit too.
  • Options
    LB_33LB_33 Member Posts: 323
    Tequilla said:

Hot take. Gregory is going to be pretty much identical to Coach K as DC. If you liked Coach K, you should be okay with this move. It takes Gregory off the recruiting trail somewhat, which is a positive. I will accept debates about hiring a QC guy as DL coach, but that has worked out pretty good for Cato. I'm in LIPO mode.

And what evidence is there that Cato's worth a damn other than he finishes in the Top 3 often?
    Exactly. Hat at the table is not something you put on your resume.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

dnc said:

Not only did we promote the shit LB coach to DC, we promoted the "defensive quality control" guy to DL coach.

Cato has looked like a pretty damn good internal promotion from quality control. LIPO.

Jimmy has made four staff hires since he's been HC (and multiple moves within the staff.

Jon Donovan
    Terrence Brown

Add to that Terrence was basically an intern hire that had spent a year or two at Vandy.

And I think I would have preferred an intern hire over Donovan...

Donovan IS the intern
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,415
    Founders Club
    edited February 2021

Tequilla said:

Other than the fact that we have one of the best TE rooms in the country? Give Paopao some credit, but give Cato credit too.
    Best TE room? We have Cade for one more year and a bunch of unproven guys. The only big recruiting win Cato's gotten turned out to be a methhead.
    He's landed Quentin Moore, Chance Bogan, kept Cade for another year, has shown promise and effort on the recruiting trail, and can clearly coach. I'd give him a solid grade for the 9 months he's been TE coach.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

We don't have one of the best TE rooms in the country ... that's pretty damn comical

Cade's great but the reality is that he's a local kid that any kind of competent recruiter could have and should have kept at UW.

I'll give credit for getting Redman on board ... he should be a stud. But at this point, he's all potential and no real substance.

And for those quick to say "yeah but" on the Redman comment, rewind 2 years ago and those comments would have been said about Culp who has gone from a "wait until you see what he's going to do" to a "decent part of the rotation but his limitations catching the ball effectively turn him into a high end JAG" type of player to date.

Cato hasn't done jack shit.
    Paopao/Garbers landed Redman. Cato was hired after Redman was already signed.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

We don't have one of the best TE rooms in the country ... that's pretty damn comical

Cade's great but the reality is that he's a local kid that any kind of competent recruiter could have and should have kept at UW.

I'll give credit for getting Redman on board ... he should be a stud. But at this point, he's all potential and no real substance.

And for those quick to say "yeah but" on the Redman comment, rewind 2 years ago and those comments would have been said about Culp who has gone from a "wait until you see what he's going to do" to a "decent part of the rotation but his limitations catching the ball effectively turn him into a high end JAG" type of player to date.

Yeah, but still.
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,982
    edited February 2021

Tequilla said:

Best TE room? We have Cade for one more year and a bunch of unproven guys. The only big recruiting win Cato's gotten turned out to be a methhead.
    I am failing to see why this is a negative?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

He's landed Quentin Moore, Chance Bogan, kept Cade for another year, has shown promise and effort on the recruiting trail, and can clearly coach. I'd give him a solid grade for the 9 months he's been TE coach.
    Cade stayed because he didn't have enough film on him to get a high enough pick this year to make it worth the while ... coming back and he'll very likely be an easy Top 2 round guy. It makes sense.

Moore was a local kid that while I am optimistic on it being a good get we need to be realistic at what we're doing here. Moore is hopefully a high end guy that is getting brought in to fill gaps in recruiting that effectively didn't pan out for a few years. He wasn't the highest TE on the board last year for us and we missed on the higher targets.

Bogan looks like he's a nice prospect and I look forward to seeing his development. Keeping local players home is a sign of competence vs being a disaster. For me to view a coach as being pretty good or better, you need to start winning recruiting battles against programs that are above your weight class and/or kids from out of the area that you're competing against at least relatively peer schools. Scott Huff is worth a damn. Cato ain't even close to that level at this point.
  • Options
    HireBRoyHireBRoy Member Posts: 77
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Jon Donovan
    Terrence Brown

This + recruiting has been subpar. Couch sale szn is upon us.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Was more of a generic "as a program we got him on board" and the reality with the timing of Paopao leaving, if you recall there was a lot of uncertainty when Pete left and efforts to make sure that everybody was kept in that class. So I'll give credit for being able to keep Redman from going elsewhere.

Other than that, there's nothing to really view at this point other than Redman looks to be a good looking prospect that is in a spot to take the torch from Cade in 2022.
  • Options
    DoogerMcFarlandDoogerMcFarland Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 739
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tryon came out in support of Rip Rowan, so he at least has that going for him.

Has any player come out in support of Gregory at this point? Ariel Ngata seemed to subtweet the hiring with laughing emojis, but I have yet to see support from any players.