Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Djouvensky Schlenbaker, 2022 3* RB, Bellingham (Squalicum), WA (Offered)

Comments

• Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    NEsnake12 said:

Blame KB for missing on all the big time RB recruits, but I don’t think he plays objectively worse players just because they’ve been around longer.

You had me until this. Kamari Pleasant should never touch the ball.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    NEsnake12 said:

I think people are chasing the dragon a bit because of Myles Gaskin. We were spoiled having him for 4 years, and people like Fudgie really want one of the 47 RBs on the roster to break away from the pack and be the next Gaskin. So Fudgie is putting down McGrew, who’s a genuinely good but not elite player, because we already know he isn’t ever going to be Gaskin. Then he can Doog it up about the unproven RBs because there’s a small chance that they could be a diamond in the rough.

I agree that’s it’s frustrating to give a ton of carries to McGrew/Pleasant/Newton when the younger guys like Cam Davis have shown occasional flashes. But those established guys are still solid players, and the likelihood is that the young guys aren’t going any better than them. If they were, then they’d be getting a ton of carries over established guys like Gaskin did early on.

Blame KB for missing on all the big time RB recruits, but I don’t think he plays objectively worse players just because they’ve been around longer.

Legend, for making a coug defecate
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Beno4Life said:

NEsnake12 said:

You had me until this. Kamari Pleasant should never touch the ball.
    He’s a very average runner but is the best pass blocking RB on the team, rather easily.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Came for the Djuovensky Schlenbaker recruiting chat snd stayed for the Sean McGrew hawt talk.

Wish ballz was here to bring up the big back nonsense again
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Tequilla said:

He’s fine against the OSU, WSU, Arizona etc. but he hasn’t really done shit against anyone good ever.

McGrew was good in Autzen in 2018 … just off the top of my head
    It’s a dumb argument because we don’t play that many opponents that would be considered good by the board. Players tend to do worse against good opponents too.

McGrew has been our best RB at times the last two years. That said, he’s nothing special. We need to be better at RB.
    I agree with this.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,992
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So much aidz I feel like ballz is back. Nothing like 50+ new messages with no relevance to the original topic. Ballz would be proud guysm.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Baseman said:

Washington's biggest bowl wins were all with solid but not great RBs. 1984 Orange Bowl (J. Robinson) 1992 Rose Bowl (Barry and Bryant) 2001 Rose Bowl (Rich Alexis and Willie Hurst) Total NFL carries for this group: 0.

You’re cherry picking.

‘85: Jacques Robinson, RICK FENNEY

‘92: Beno Bryant, Jay Barry, NAPOLEON KAUFMAN

‘01: Willie Hurst, Braxton Cleman, Rich Alexis, Paul Arnold

These are three of the best RB rooms UW has ever seen. Fenney and Kaufman both had long NFL careers.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

FireCohen said:

haie said:

I like this kid as an athlete. I am not sure I like him at tailback. And he is committed to a school that doesn’t run the damn ball. Either way it will be I retesting.

I think they're going to be a lot more balanced as Leach's players graduate out.
    They are incredibly dumb if they don’t use Borghi heavily. PGOS and I have been on the Borghi bandwagon for years.

He’s really good tho. I saw him truck Hufunga from USC a few years ago. He should and would be an All Conference RB if they actually use him.
    I remember when we were making fun of the cougs for taking a white RB, but the kid can play and catch extremely well out of the backfield. I think he will make an NFL roster one day
    McGrew would actually thrive at WSU.
    He wouldn’t see the field.
    He's a good little scatback with good hands. He would pick up a lot of yards on draw plays and check down screens. More space for him to maneuver. He is ill fitted to what UW has been doing.
    They have the same guy, but he’s also bigger, faster, stronger, and has better hands.

The backup is probably better than McGrew too.
    Yeah, Borghi is similiar and bigger and likely better. McGrew is a very skilled back though, he would do even better at WSU than at UW.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

FireCohen said:

haie said:

I like this kid as an athlete. I am not sure I like him at tailback. And he is committed to a school that doesn’t run the damn ball. Either way it will be I retesting.

I think they're going to be a lot more balanced as Leach's players graduate out.
    They are incredibly dumb if they don’t use Borghi heavily. PGOS and I have been on the Borghi bandwagon for years.

He’s really good tho. I saw him truck Hufunga from USC a few years ago. He should and would be an All Conference RB if they actually use him.
    I remember when we were making fun of the cougs for taking a white RB, but the kid can play and catch extremely well out of the backfield. I think he will make an NFL roster one day
    He's a good little scatback with good hands. He would pick up a lot of yards on draw plays and check down screens. More space for him to maneuver. He is ill fitted to what UW has been doing.
    He honestly just kinda sucks.
    Another shit take.

McGrew has averaged 5.8 ypc on 98 attempts the past two years. He produces when he plays. He's no pussy, getting most of his yards inside the tackles. You don't see him dance around for 1yd. He's plant and go. He should get the majority of the carries until he proves he can't. ( He won't.)

Cam Davis: 4.3 ypc avg on 17 attempts. He hasn't done shit. A 4-star TBS special, so of course he's better. Maybe he is but i'll wait until I see it before I crown him.

Im not sucking off Davis? I think he could be good. I don’t think we’re beating anyone good with a midget that runs 4.6 getting a decent amount of carries.
    There you go again.

McGrew ran a 4.38 at the Nike opening, 4.49 at the most recent combine and a 4.03 Pro agility, tops among the RBs

He ran a 10.56 100 at the California HS State Track Championship, good enough for 2nd place.

He's not slow.
    He gets caught from behind quite a bit. When he committed, I thought he would be a home run threat. He’s not.
    There's being caught from behind and there is being caught from the angle. I haven't seen McGrew caught from behind once where he had a clear lane and the secondary player didn't have an angle. Ahmed was a home threat but what did he break? 2 long runs in his career? (SC is one) When you run between the tackles you have to get through traffic which slows you down. McGrew isn't going to dance and wait for the homerun, he's going to get his yards getting through the hole and finding the second level. He's not doing it on toss sweeps it's between the tackles.

Very rare for a running back to rip off a homerun unless it's a well blocked wide sweep or the defenders completely whiff inside (rare)

He ranks well among Pac 12 rushers. His longest run is only 27 yards which makes his average that more impressive. He doesn't have an 80 yard run inflate his average. Scheme has a lot to do with explosiveness. TBS Darling Austin Jones has one of the lower AYPC. 5 star Stephen Carr is near the bottom.

McGrew lead the conference in TD per rush @ 10%. That's a homerun threat, even if in the red-zone

I'm with you as far as McGrew having the best insticts between the tackles and being overall pretty productive. But he does fizzle out after 20 yards. I think his longest TD run, like 45 or 50 yards, was against BYU. Haven't seen that against quality P5 competition.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2021
    I don
    TTJ said:

Baseman said:

Washington's biggest bowl wins were all with solid but not great RBs. 1984 Orange Bowl (J. Robinson) 1992 Rose Bowl (Barry and Bryant) 2001 Rose Bowl (Rich Alexis and Willie Hurst) Total NFL carries for this group: 0.

You’re cherry picking.

These are three of the best RB rooms UW has ever seen. Fenney and Kaufman both had long NFL careers.
    Kaufman was not much of a contributor on the 91 team at fb as I remember the majority of his carries came once we throttled teams. Once Bryant got hurt he took over as the dude the next year.

I remember watching many blowouts excited for him to get carries on the prime sports Sunday night replay. Can’t speak to the 84 team.
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

FireCohen said:

haie said:

He honestly just kinda sucks.
    Another shit take.

McGrew has averaged 5.8 ypc on 98 attempts the past two years. He produces when he plays. He's no pussy, getting most of his yards inside the tackles. You don't see him dance around for 1yd. He's plant and go. He should get the majority of the carries until he proves he can't. ( He won't.)

Cam Davis: 4.3 ypc avg on 17 attempts. He hasn't done shit. A 4-star TBS special, so of course he's better. Maybe he is but i'll wait until I see it before I crown him.

Im not sucking off Davis? I think he could be good. I don’t think we’re beating anyone good with a midget that runs 4.6 getting a decent amount of carries.
    There you go again.

McGrew ran a 4.38 at the Nike opening, 4.49 at the most recent combine and a 4.03 Pro agility, tops among the RBs

He ran a 10.56 100 at the California HS State Track Championship, good enough for 2nd place.

He's not slow.
    He gets caught from behind quite a bit. When he committed, I thought he would be a home run threat. He’s not.
    There's being caught from behind and there is being caught from the angle. I haven't seen McGrew caught from behind once where he had a clear lane and the secondary player didn't have an angle. Ahmed was a home threat but what did he break? 2 long runs in his career? (SC is one) When you run between the tackles you have to get through traffic which slows you down. McGrew isn't going to dance and wait for the homerun, he's going to get his yards getting through the hole and finding the second level. He's not doing it on toss sweeps it's between the tackles.

Very rare for a running back to rip off a homerun unless it's a well blocked wide sweep or the defenders completely whiff inside (rare)

He ranks well among Pac 12 rushers. His longest run is only 27 yards which makes his average that more impressive. He doesn't have an 80 yard run inflate his average. Scheme has a lot to do with explosiveness. TBS Darling Austin Jones has one of the lower AYPC. 5 star Stephen Carr is near the bottom.

McGrew lead the conference in TD per rush @ 10%. That's a homerun threat, even if in the red-zone

I'm with you as far as McGrew having the best insticts between the tackles and being overall pretty productive. But he does fizzle out after 20 yards. I think his longest TD run, like 45 or 50 yards, was against BYU. Haven't seen that against quality P5 competition.
    Uh...excuse me?

BYU will play anyone u consider "quality P5 competition" and they'll do it anytime, anywhere! They LET Coastal Carolina win so that all the big boys won't be scared next year.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

TTJ said:

Baseman said:

You’re cherry picking.

96 is the best room. Dillon and Sheehee.
    Clearly.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

This obsession with breakaway speed and taking it to the house is overrated … you can count on one hand the number of times this is even in playing during the year

When it’s there you obviously want it to go the distance

That said, I want the RB that turns no gain into 3, 2 into 6, has the balance and body lean to always fall forward. Those incremental yards are really the difference between a good and average/bad RB

I agree that getting positive yards when it’s not blocked perfectly is more important, but big runs for TD’s are huge. We absolutely are missing that and McGrew is not a home run threat. I’ve seen him caught from behind on kickoff returns as well.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

This obsession with breakaway speed and taking it to the house is overrated … you can count on one hand the number of times this is even in playing during the year

That said, I want the RB that turns no gain into 3, 2 into 6, has the balance and body lean to always fall forward. Those incremental yards are really the difference between a good and average/bad RB

I agree that getting positive yards when it’s not blocked perfectly is more important, but big runs for TD’s are huge. We absolutely are missing that and McGrew is not a home run threat. I’ve seen him caught from behind on kickoff returns as well.
    McGrew would have to actually get past his wedge to get caught from behind on kickoffs. He's perhaps the worst kickoff returner I've ever seen, but he's great at reading his blocks and getting yards as a running back. Two very different skills.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Those plays can win games you're otherwise losing and they bury teams that were otherwise hanging around. Having someone getting touches out of the backfield who is a legit threat to house it is an important consideration. It's not a deal breaker for any one running back. It's just a weapon I think you should always have.