Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Djouvensky Schlenbaker, 2022 3* RB, Bellingham (Squalicum), WA (Offered)

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

I hope he does not commit. Might put us out of the running for Megwa

We’re Mewga’s only visit. He’s coming here.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,901
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited June 2021

Really want both. They lose McGrew and Pleasant after this year and would assume at least one transfer. There's room.

Yeah that RB room...excise me... the stable is so bloated. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 of those guys are gone between now and the start of the 2022 season
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,327
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Once upon a time running backs got moved to other positions

Especially if they fumble
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Has anybody watched his latest film from the shortened '20 season? He seems to have gotten even bigger still, and he plays like it. More like a fullback than a running back now.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,327
    Swaye's Wigwam
    https://si.com/college/washington/legends/husky-tb-by-committee-is-nothing-new-as-sterling-hinds-knows

For the 1982 Rose Bowl, Sterling Hinds remembers how he was supposed to be the University of Washington starting tailback on that New Year's Day, but a foot injury relegated him to a limited role.

Who knows, had Hinds been healthier against Iowa, he might have made teammate Jacque Robinson wait another day to introduce himself to the college football world in a big way.

Instead, a third Husky tailback, fellow speedster Ron "Cookie" Jackson, drew the opening assignment in Pasadena and picked up 24 yards on 8 carries.

Subbing in infrequently, Hinds received just 3 carries and rushed for 13 yards against the Hawkeyes.

As for the little-known Robinson, he was asked to pick up the slack and stunned everyone by coming off the bench to rush 20 times for 142 yards and 2 touchdowns in a 28-0 victory. He was an easy choice for Rose Bowl Most Valuable Player accolades.

Fate hit the hole hard and took off in a far different direction than anticipated on that glorious afternoon.

Someone in the postgame news conference asked Husky coach Don James, "Who is Jacque Robinson?"

To which James, tongue in check, responded, "I don't know. I just introduced myself to him. I do know he's a freshman. I checked the program."

Hinds, as a trackman, typically skipped spring football to run the sprints and had to work his way up from the bottom of the depth chart each fall. On game day, the Huskies still made sure to have a fresh tailback on the field.

"If you got 10 carries, that was really good," Hinds said. "I knew one thing for sure, coach James was going to play the best player regardless. That's what I took to practice."

Forty years later, the Huskies find themselves in a similar situation. With a tailback by committee. The UW has an overabundance of ball-carrier bodies in junior Richard Newton and sophomore Cameron Davis, seniors Sean McGrew and Kamari Pleasant, and untested redshirt freshmen Sam Adams II and Jay'Veon Sunday.

The challenge is to give everyone a chance to show what he can do and hope you don't keep the hot guy seated on the bench.

Four decades ago, Hinds rushed for 188 yards against Stanford, 113 against USC and 103 against Oregon in his Husky career. Jackson went for 147 and 119 against California during his time. Robinson altogether rang up 10 100-yard rushing performances in his four seasons, topped by 203 yards against Texas Tech and accentuated by that 142 against Iowa in the Rose Bowl and 135 against Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Has anybody watched his latest film from the shortened '20 season? He seems to have gotten even bigger still, and he plays like it. More like a fullback than a running back now.

I thought he looked like a 5'10" scat back, then barely recognized him in his junior film. I still like him as a big back, but if he's going to be elite he still needs to have some of that lateral quickness and burst that he had when he was smaller. I'm not saying he doesn't, but I don't think I saw much of it in the junior highlights.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,500
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Really want both. They lose McGrew and Pleasant after this year and would assume at least one transfer. There's room.

Yeah that RB room...excise me... the stable is so bloated. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 of those guys are gone between now and the start of the 2022 season
    I know we never have room for anyone but I don't get why they wouldn't take some extra guys each year given about 60% of players transfer now in college football.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I know we never have room for anyone but I don't get why they wouldn't take some extra guys each year given about 60% of players transfer now in college football.
    You still have a 25 per year limit, but, yeah, I agree.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,892
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

You still have a 25 per year limit, but, yeah, I agree.
    I don’t believe this to be true. I can’t think of who but IIRC one of those snake oil coaches over signs every year and has numerous couch sales.
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

This and have we? decided if Sam Adams will stick at running back?

We have room until we don't.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    (Probably means we’re only taking Megwa)
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    knowing how recruiting is going... wish we would have taken him as a hedge... just in case bonerpopper loses megwa late in the process to a bruce wayne type program
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

knowing how recruiting is going... wish we would have taken him as a hedge... just in case bonerpopper loses megwa late in the process to a bruce wayne type program

We can still have him if we want him
    like troy franklin?
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Good for couglet. We don’t want him. We want to take Limar and Wisner (4 star probably borderline national guy from Jay’veon’s HS) in 2023. Timing makes sense with Megwa rumored commitment.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I like this kid as an athlete. I am not sure I like him at tailback. And he is committed to a school that doesn’t run the damn ball. Either way it will be I retesting.